Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Anyone post the my post article of Laraque with rempe? Great read. Laraque seems to have taught him a lot in the fighting area and Laraque sounds very very excited to see him when he fights next year. Talks about how he taught him technique and how he skated with someone for an hour after his 90 min session with Laraque. He also said players play bigger and tougher with rempe in the lineup knowing that he has their backs. It’s a big plus since we don’t have forwards who can muck it up.

It seems like just a rehash on the podcast he did with John Scott. You should check that out to get it from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
His balance will also naturally improve as he grows onto his frame.
Yes, but growing into your frame for athletes typically means working on your frame. Ideally, lower body and core work which should be a focus for him. He just turned 22 and from what we know works extremely hard. So it'll be interesting to see how he looks coming training camp.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Yes, but growing into your frame for athletes typically means working on your frame. Ideally, lower body and core work which should be a focus for him. He just turned 22 and from what we know works extremely hard. So it'll be interesting to see how he looks coming training camp.
Yes, true. I wasn't trying to imply that he should not work hard on his balance.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
mhBghyd.png

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Rempe playing more effective hockey, is gonna turn him into even more of a unicorn of a hockey player.

Even if he had no real skill - which he does imo, offensively and defensively - his size and presence alone are tremendous mental and physical factors. Opponent teams were already playing different against him. Wait till he gives them even more reasons to try to control him.

If he gets to a point, where he draws more penalties, opponents are going to fold.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Reaves after his fight with Rempe said he's going to be a menace in the league. Laraque basically said Rempe doesn't need to chase fights they will come to him and even if the opponent really doesn't want to. He has the skating and he likes to hit and he hits people like a train. Bastian, Lyubushkin, Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Probably missing somebody or two. Just ran them right over. For me the fighting is secondary to that. This guy pretty much on his own gives the Rangers even only playing limited time gives the Rangers one of the hardest forechecks in the league or at least if you think in terms of softening up the other team's D for the rest of the night.

He needed to learn how to protect himself better in fights and hopefully that will improve this year. He also needs to improve a variety of aspects to his overall game. Skating....particularly balance issues but skating is something almost all players even long term vets can improve on. General overall play though will also have to pick up a bit if he's going to get more ice time. He's raw but he's also just 22 years old and growing into that big frame of his is a common issue for players of his size. I don't see as something he can't overcome.

Reactions: bhamill

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Reaves after his fight with Rempe said he's going to be a menace in the league. Laraque basically said Rempe doesn't need to chase fights they will come to him and even if the opponent really doesn't want to. He has the skating and he likes to hit and he hits people like a train. Bastian, Lyubushkin, Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Probably missing somebody or two. Just ran them right over. For me the fighting is secondary to that. This guy pretty much on his own gives the Rangers even only playing limited time gives the Rangers one of the hardest forechecks in the league or at least if you think in terms of softening up the other team's D for the rest of the night.

He needed to learn how to protect himself better in fights and hopefully that will improve this year. He also needs to improve a variety of aspects to his overall game. Skating....particularly balance issues but skating is something almost all players even long term vets can improve on. General overall play though will also have to pick up a bit if he's going to get more ice time. He's raw but he's also just 22 years old and growing into that big frame of his is a common issue for players of his size. I don't see as something he can't overcome.
It's amazing to me how many players don't improve their skating. They don't do enough to get better and faster. Players are going to age and obviously your legs don't move the same as they use to, but there's too many 18-25 year old with questionable skating. All it takes is a little more explosiveness to have a first and second step be quicker. Having edge work can take you from an overall average skater to an above average skater with average speed. For players to get that far while being labeled with skating concerns is mind blowing for me.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's amazing to me how many players don't improve their skating. They don't do enough to get better and faster. Players are going to age and obviously your legs don't move the same as they use to, but there's too many 18-25 year old with questionable skating. All it takes is a little more explosiveness to have a first and second step be quicker. Having edge work can take you from an overall average skater to an above average skater with average speed. For players to get that far while being labeled with skating concerns is mind blowing for me.

Probably some think they can get around well enough and work at other parts of their game. Skating isn't necessarily something that increases production but it definitely can make someone a better all around player. As players get older sometimes they're dealing more with injuries and some of that can be more chronic as well....knee or back injuries can definitely have an effect on a player's skating.

Some young players have no choice but to work on it constantly if they're ever going to make it. Watching Rempe from right after we drafted him he made dramatic improvements just to where he was last year. Without that work he might be in the ECHL. He's still got a ways to go but when one motivates himself towards a specific goal and sees real progress along the way that's an affirming thing.

The difference often between a young player making the NHL or not is consistency in putting the work in and ability to adapt his game to situations and roles. It's hard for a lot of prospects to do these thing because more often than not in their teen years they got use to being their team's best players.....take the game for granted and become too use to being the scorers. Gropp, Kravtsov, Lias are all kind of examples of that.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad