Auston Matthews is 53 goals from franchise history.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You didn't even know that Sittler had the record before Sundin. Point proven.
I thought u were talking about his 10 point night and I was pretty young when Sundin took over but if he didnt then it would be Sittler in the record books and id know it was him. I dunno why its important to know who lead it before the next person over took them.
these arent meant to be talked about all the time anyways. they are franchise records and people will remember Matthews when he over takes it till the next person bumps him out.

so I guess none of this matters because hes a poor playoff performer? why even have team records then?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Definitely broke in the next year/2. Wow that’s a weak all time franchise goal scoring record. Speaks to our team the last 40 years or so…

Reactions: DutchHockeyGuy

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I don’t think those 1990s and 2000s teams are on a pedestal at all. They were mostly a blue collar cast of guys with strong goaltending that supplied fun playoff runs that electrified a fanbase, fell short of winning it all in the conference finals a number of times. Ultimately they lacked a quantity of high end talent and usually emptied the tank by the end of their runs.

So imagine the possibility of a Leaf rebuild with youth and talent that just applied itself in a blue collar workmanlike way, with a properly built defense and a goaltender that didn’t come from Value Village…

The fact that you’ve come to “despise” those teams because you need to support this one is pretty sad.

This is what bothers me the most about the current core. I hope Berube can change things, but hope isn't a strategy.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
pretty stupid for the people saying this wont matter because of his playoff resume. this doesnt even have to be remembered you can literally forget who owns every record for each franchise. but every time you go and look their name will be there. also it doesnt matter who owned it before, no one cares about 2nd place.

Definitely broke in the next year/2. Wow that’s a weak all time franchise goal scoring record. Speaks to our team the last 40 years or so…
thats what happens when u spend all your prospects and picks to try and buy cups, or have a owner who doesnt care because no matter what he makes money. Ballard was wreckless

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
My main takeaway from this was that no leaf has ever scored 500 goals, or even close to it really.

That will change in the near future.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
In his last 50 playoff games Rantanens numbers are sitting almost identical to Marners and Matthews. It's a head scratcher?
Lol what a lie

All past 50 Games

Rantanen
22G 43A 65P (projected 107)

Matthews
20G 24A 44P (projected 72)

Marner
10G 36A 46P (projected 75)

You could combine Matthews’s goals with marners assists and it would still be less than rantanens totals

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol what a lie

All past 50 Games

Rantanen
22G 43A 65P (projected 107)

Matthews
20G 24A 44P (projected 72)

Marner
10G 36A 46P (projected 75)

You could combine Matthews’s goals with marners assists and it would still be less than rantanens totals
This is 3 times this week now I've seen posters just straight up cook numbers to try and make our core-4 look comparable to other cores around the league.

Btw Rantanen actually averages about 112 points / 82 games over his last 50 playoff games.

Wtf is honestly happening to this place.

Lol now do career. More than ppg in every year except first playoffs.

No contest and he has a ring.
Lol nope, don't need to. They're literally just making shit up yet again.

Last edited:

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
This is 3 times this week now I've seen posters just straight up cook numbers to try and make our core-4 look comparable to other cores around the league.

Btw Rantanen actually averages about 112 points / 82 games over his last 50 playoff games.

Wtf is honestly happening to this place.

Lol nope, don't need to. They're literally just making shit up yet again.
Whenever you see whiners on a board bring up stats, always do a skim if they are legit. Most of the time they arent.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Lol now do career. More than ppg in every year except first playoffs.

No contest and he has a ring.
I was gonna say "thanks tips"

But I won't cause we've always been mostly respectful of each other.

The point of the post was that the Leafs superduperstars are producing about the same that Rantanen is, who for better or worse always is brought up as why MM is dog caca

It's dumb is all

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You have no idea if Matthews ever will. History is not on his side so far. He has led this team to a 1 and 8 playoff series record. Would never have believed it after watching him vs Washington.

Lost to Boston after failing to close them out in game #6 on home ice.
Shut out by Columbus at home in game #5
Blew a 3-1 series lead and lost in game #7 at home to the Habs who sold at the TDL. Failed to score until final minutes down 3-0.
Lost 2-1 to Tampa in game #7 on home ice after failing to close out Tampa in game #6, blowing the lead late and losing in OT.
Embarrassed by Florida in 5 after winning their SC vs Tampa
Lost to Boston in game #7 OT on the road blowing a 1-0 lead with IIRC 8-10 minutes left

I'm not sure if you can say or imply Matthews "led" this team anywhere. That would insinuate that not only is has he led this team and that his leadership has led us into successive dead-ends. For the give Matthews the "C" crowd, it just doesn't play into that narrative. To paraphrase a guy who played on a team with Messier who happened to be wearing the C, is that Matthews couldn't lead a two car parade.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
rings do matter but not when its just about becoming the franchise leading goal scorer. so playoffs really dont matter at all here. even if he's complete dogshit in the playoffs. Sundin played 14 seasons and Matthews may break his goal record here in what his 9th season? pretty impressive
Yes sir I know all of that, but perhaps read the post I was replying to. I think you'll get a much clearer understanding of my posts' intent.

Cheers

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Yes sir I know all of that, but perhaps read the post I was replying to. I think you'll get a much clearer understanding of my posts' intent.

Cheers
Im sorry but what does Sittlers accomplishments being diminished because lack of a ring or Sundin getting in the HHOF or Dionne have anything to do with Matthews being 53 goals away from becoming the franchise's leader scorer?

rings dont matter at all it's literally just a team record.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Auston is the best goal scorer in franchise history. It is enjoyable watching him put up incredible numbers.

I’m curious if Berubes coaching style make a difference in his production in both the NHL regular season league and the NHL post-season league.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Im sorry but what does Sittlers accomplishments being diminished because lack of a ring or Sundin getting in the HHOF or Dionne have anything to do with Matthews being 53 goals away from becoming the franchise's leader scorer?

rings dont matter at all it's literally just a team record.
Ahh k

I could care less that he's setting team records, because they don't add up to SFA or a hill of beans and never will.

When Army or Davey, the Big M or Timmy, Red, Carl, China or Shakey were passing that cup around I never once thought about what team record or who even led the team in scoring that season, individual trophies or whatever even once.

If they ever win one and it's a big friggin if, that you yourself can witness, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: al secord

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ahh k

I could care less that he's setting team records, because they don't add up to SFA or a hill of beans and never will.

When Army or Davey, the Big M or Timmy, Red, Carl, China or Shakey were passing that cup around I never once thought about what team record or who even led the team in scoring that season, individual trophies or whatever even once.

If they ever win one and it's a big friggin if, that you yourself can witness, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
great good for you, but if you dont care..... then why are you in a thread talking about Matthews being 53 goals away from becoming the leafs all time goal scorer?

so what people aren't allowed to acknowledge this accomplishment because you dont care about team records?

I know it's hard to not be negative since they let us down so often but come on why be such a negative nancy?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Actually crazy to think about how Matthews was only trailing Ovechkin and Pastrnak by 1 goal in 2019-20 when the regular season was shut down. If those last ~10 games had been played it’s entirely possible we’d have been talking right now about him having won 4 of the last 5 Rockets. Not that 3 out of 4 isn’t super impressive in itself. You’d have to think he’s the odds on favorite again this year if reasonably healthy. Such a ridiculously gifted goal scorer.

Even the year he didn’t win in those 4 he played through a very injury riddled season and still scored 40

Ovechkin won 7 out of 8 Rockets between 12-13 and 19-20 from ages 27-34 which is just absurd. Gonna be fun to see what the same 8 year stretch holds for Matthews, starting this year and what kind of longevity he can have as the league’s top goalscorer

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We are pretty lucky to have this guy, and Selke nominee:

1722098396643.png

1722098448194-png.897399
1722098762540.png

Stats from Stathletes.

Attachments

• 1722098448194.png
    1722098448194.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 3