Auston Matthews is 53 goals from franchise history.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Right. This team failed to learn every single season. Mostly management though.

Feels like this group was scarred by the 2020 bubble experience and by 2021 started showing signs of arrested development. You never really saw the flip switch where all the big stars are “all hands on deck” and play that serious, focused and chip on your shoulder hockey you see with teams about to breakout. They just do the exact same thing and fail the exact same way in these moments.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews wont ever lead this team to stanley cup win. They still dont have a player who can do that. Matthews refuses to play gritty in a tight checking playoff scenario. Leafs dont have any dogs on that team, just a bunch of housecats, who want max money, max worship, results dont matter. Leafs are closer to a rebuild than a cup. 8 years, 1 playoff series win vs Tampa and they got lucky.

People need to stop speaking in absolutes. You have no idea if Matthews will ever lead us to a cup. Similar comments have been made against plenty of players over history who just needed to get a bit older and have the team improve around them and then they found success.

Beyond that there are several other stupid statements in here, good job.
- Matthews has some grit to his game. If you’re suggesting otherwise, you’re not actually watching.
- saying the results don’t matter to him is asinine.
- calling the leafs closer to rebuild than a cup is also absurd.
- and because you choose to take the overtly negative position of all situations of course you call our 1 playoff round win essentially a fluke. Garbage take if I’ve ever heard one.

Reactions: Jojalu and banks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
People need to stop speaking in absolutes. You have no idea if Matthews will ever lead us to a cup. Similar comments have been made against plenty of players over history who just needed to get a bit older and have the team improve around them and then they found success.

Beyond that there are several other stupid statements in here, good job.
- Matthews has some grit to his game. If you’re suggesting otherwise, you’re not actually watching.
- saying the results don’t matter to him is asinine.
- calling the leafs closer to rebuild than a cup is also absurd.
- and because you choose to take the overtly negative position of all situations of course you call our 1 playoff round win essentially a fluke. Garbage take if I’ve ever heard one.
You have no idea if Matthews ever will. History is not on his side so far. He has led this team to a 1 and 8 playoff series record. Would never have believed it after watching him vs Washington.

Lost to Boston after failing to close them out in game #6 on home ice.
Shut out by Columbus at home in game #5
Blew a 3-1 series lead and lost in game #7 at home to the Habs who sold at the TDL. Failed to score until final minutes down 3-0.
Lost 2-1 to Tampa in game #7 on home ice after failing to close out Tampa in game #6, blowing the lead late and losing in OT.
Embarrassed by Florida in 5 after winning their SC vs Tampa
Lost to Boston in game #7 OT on the road blowing a 1-0 lead with IIRC 8-10 minutes left

Reactions: therealkoho

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You have no idea if Matthews ever will. History is not on his side so far. He has led this team to a 1 and 8 playoff series record. Would never have believed it after watching him vs Washington.

Lost to Boston after failing to close them out in game #6 on home ice.
Shut out by Columbus at home in game #5
Blew a 3-1 series lead and lost in game #7 at home to the Habs who sold at the TDL. Failed to score until final minutes down 3-0.
Lost 2-1 to Tampa in game #7 on home ice after failing to close out Tampa in game #6, blowing the lead late and losing in OT.
Embarrassed by Florida in 5 after winning their SC vs Tampa
Lost to Boston in game #7 OT on the road blowing a 1-0 lead with IIRC 8-10 minutes left

The difference being I never claimed I know he will.

Reactions: banks and ToneDog

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
McDrai choked when it mattered most, but whatever narrative you want to push.

McDavid - 0-0-0 2S
Draisaitl - 0-0-0 0S

People keep acting like they won the cup here... they tried, really, really hard, but no cup, sorry to the fanboys here.
Lmfao, I WISH our guys were good enough to "choke" in the finals or even eastern conference finals.

Except when it mattered most…
Yeah what losers, going 2ppg in a playoffs and reaching the finals, they obviously should've done more.

Our guys are too elite to blue ball the fans, they just choke right away!

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Lmfao, I WISH our guys were good enough to "choke" in the finals or even eastern conference finals.

Yeah what losers, going 2ppg in a playoffs and reaching the finals, they obviously should've done more.

Dont get upset, he is the mighty Casey, nevertheless there was no joy in Mudville because when it mattered most, the mighty Casey struck Out.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Unless teams have stopped trying. Theres multiple possible outcomes Everytime the puck drops. Lots of games have the same score no 2 are the exact same ever. You're dreaming if you believe what you said. How do I know, well it would be silly to not put all your money on them to lose. According to how the fans see it. If you do in fact believe what y'all are saying bet the bank. You won't because there's always that possibility. You know it, all you're trying to do is attack hope. Someone has hope and you hate that idea.

As long as you're not willing to put everything you have down on this idea you're saying, (Don't worry alot say it too) And you are incredibly sure of. One has to question if you really are that invested in your own word shall we call it. You're looking for a different kind of raise, one without any praise.
First off, I'm not attacking hope...I'm being realistic. It's not a realistic expectation for a team that gets their asses handed to them in the 1st round year after year to suddenly go on a long run or even win a cup. There hasn't been any change to the core and the periphery pieces aren't strong enough to make a difference.

I would be very happy and willing to put everything I have to bet that the Leafs will not win a cup during the Matthews/Marner/Nylander era. I've been a Leaf fan for 20+ years and from what I'm seen: They simply do not have it.

2 guys dragged a bunch of plugs to the Stanley Cup final pretty much single-handedly, I'd love it if any of 34, 16 or 88 do that for us.

Reactions: NVious

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Feels like this group was scarred by the 2020 bubble experience and by 2021 started showing signs of arrested development. You never really saw the flip switch where all the big stars are “all hands on deck” and play that serious, focused and chip on your shoulder hockey you see with teams about to breakout. They just do the exact same thing and fail the exact same way in these moments.
Berube is the last chance hail mary here. Either he can extract something out of these guys, or teach them to be successful, or fold up shop. At the minimum, I hope they are looking and judging very carefully, whom they believe has the capacity to raise their games and who doesn't..... and if this collective group fails to take further steps, then be ruthless, and clean out those who they don't believe can raise their game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Berube is the last chance hail mary here. Either he can extract something out of these guys, or teach them to be successful, or fold up shop. At the minimum, I hope they are looking and judging very carefully, whom they believe has the capacity to raise their games and who doesn't..... and if this collective group fails to take further steps, then be ruthless, and clean out those who they don't believe can raise their game.

The guy who looks like he’s maturing the most is William Nylander, but more as your 2nd or 3rd best forward. He’s certainly not your alpha dog but if we had 2 guys who were carrying this team ahead of him his contributions look proportionate.

Relative to their status on the team Matthews is probably actually the biggest under achiever. It’s just not enough on a consistent basis. I think Marner’s very visible stage fright masks a lot of Auston’s flaws.

Berube needs to structure the regular season in such a way that they have to mature 3-4 years to make up for all the time they lost being soft managed by Keefe.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The guy who looks like he’s maturing the most is William Nylander, but more as your 2nd or 3rd best forward. He’s certainly not your alpha dog but if we had 2 guys who were carrying this team ahead of him his contributions look proportionate.

Relative to their status on the team Matthews is probably actually the biggest under achiever. It’s just not enough on a consistent basis. I think Marner’s very visible stage fright masks a lot of Auston’s flaws.

Berube needs to structure the regular season in such a way that they have to mature 3-4 years to make up for all the time they lost being soft managed by Keefe.
One thing for certain, we will find out if Keefe was part of the problem, or if these guys just can't be coached to succeed.

Reactions: banks and ACC1224

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think you can be a fan of the player but still think they can bring more in certain areas/times.

If you rated our core on things like offensive ability, creativity, consistent point production, they'd rank right at the top against anyone.

If you rated our core on things like intensity, physicality and a overall willingness to do whatever it takes to win, I don't think they rank very high.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'd rather move him and Marner for MacKinnon and Rantanen. Somebody would pay huge for the best American goal scorer in the game. Moving him would take balls but that could be the move that gets us there if the right deal is made (see Lindros to Philly trade).
In his last 50 playoff games Rantanens numbers are sitting almost identical to Marners and Matthews. It's a head scratcher?

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
should we scrap every record teams that have never won before too? these accomplishments will become team records.

I think you're missing the intent of that posters statement.

You look at Sittlers accomplishments, and as great as they were, they're diminished because of a lack of a ring.

The whole argument against Sundins induction was the lack of an NHL championship, it was overcome however with his Swedish gold.

Marcel Dionne the same

So yeah rings and things matter

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think you're missing the intent of that posters statement.

You look at Sittlers accomplishments, and as great as they were, they're diminished because of a lack of a ring.

The whole argument against Sundins induction was the lack of an NHL championship, it was overcome however with his Swedish gold.

Marcel Dionne the same

So yeah rings and things matter
rings do matter but not when its just about becoming the franchise leading goal scorer. so playoffs really dont matter at all here. even if he's complete dogshit in the playoffs. Sundin played 14 seasons and Matthews may break his goal record here in what his 9th season? pretty impressive

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
rings do matter but not when its just about becoming the franchise leading goal scorer. so playoffs really dont matter at all here. even if he's complete dogshit in the playoffs. Sundin played 14 seasons and Matthews may break his goal record here in what his 9th season? pretty impressive

Nobody will remember it. I never heard about Sittler's franchise record until Sundin beat it, and then I never heard of either again after that.

But in this generation, I guess this is the stuff we'll hear all about while the real players actually perform when it matters. After all it is MLSE's master plan to make a killing off of these guys' careers at the expense of team success.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Nobody will remember it. I never heard about Sittler's franchise record until Sundin beat it, and then I never heard of either again after that.

But in this generation, I guess this is the stuff we'll hear all about while the real players actually perform when it matters. After all it is MLSE's master plan to make a killing off of these guys' careers at the expense of team success.
what do you mean no one will remember it? do you think people just forgot that Sundin is the leading goal scorer? and not sure why people other than Leafs fans would care anyways.

and what u talking about his 10 point night? people havent forgotten its our history. doesnt mean you have to talk about it all the time lol

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
what do you mean no one will remember it? do you think people just forgot that Sundin is the leading goal scorer? and not sure why people other than Leafs fans would care anyways.

and what u talking about his 10 point night? people havent forgotten its our history. doesnt mean you have to talk about it all the time lol
I am not quite sure how the whole tegular season means nothing started.

Of course the playoffs are what matter most, but throughout history all regular season accomplishments have been revered.

When Mac and Sosa were chasing down Maris, it was the biggest deal in sports.

There has been an Ovie count for years trying to catch Gretzky.

Why bother keeping stats in the regular season at all if they don't matter?

Majority of all Hall of Fame members in every sport arecbased on what they have accomplished during the regular season..

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

You didn't even know that Sittler had the record before Sundin. Point proven.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I am not quite sure how the whole tegular season means nothing started.

Of course the playoffs are what matter most, but throughout history all regular season accomplishments have been revered.

When Mac and Sosa were chasing down Maris, it was the biggest deal in sports.

There has been an Ovie count for years trying to catch Gretzky.

Why bother keeping stats in the regular season at all if they don't matter?

Majority of all Hall of Fame members in every sport arecbased on what they have accomplished during the regular season..
id like if I could

Reactions: Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad