Confirmed with Link: Veleno signs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Veleno AND Sprong should have gotten Veleno's contract combined...
Legit, would have paid Sprong that contract over Veleno.

Sprong must be a challenging character or something. Hard to believe he's not useful as a 4th/3rd liner with good seasons back to back. I did read he play mostly offensive zone stuff, really sheltered(Sprong).

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Larkin ain't Lidstrom.
Of course not, but Yzerman isn’t Dubas.

EDIT - to be more specific…I could see both Seider/Raymond signing bridge deals (2 to 4 years) worth anywhere from $5.75 to $7.5 aav…After that - depending upon their performance - it’s wide open for whatever they can command and by then with the cap increasing they’ll certainly have earned the right to demand more than Larkin.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Legit, would have paid Sprong that contract over Veleno.

Sprong must be a challenging character or something. Hard to believe he's not useful as a 4th/3rd liner with good seasons back to back. I did read he play mostly offensive zone stuff, really sheltered(Sprong).
His defense is very bad. But for only 925k is too good to pass up.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't mind this signing. I have to say some nights Veleno was one of the fews guys that looked like he had a pulse during the late season skid last year. He won't tilt the ice but he generally brings a good effort/energy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Near all the above. He's a 4th line center and marginal NHL player. He does stay healthy, is a gym rat and a good teammate, but that can be had for less. Other than the lack of center depth, this appears to be an over payment.

Veleno is a defensively adequate bottom six center, whose offensive game is growing year over year but isn't nearly as consistent enough to be considered impactful.

This article sums up pretty much my issue. That’s why I’d have rather traded him to someone for a positive return that’s going to bank on his potential.

We have prospects ready. And other 4th line centers could be had for 1 mil in free agency if the kids truly aren’t ready.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't mind this signing. I have to say some nights Veleno was one of the fews guys that looked like he had a pulse during the late season skid last year. He won't tilt the ice but he generally brings a good effort/energy.
This totally false. Made up completely even.

He had two points in the month of March while looking terrible on a top line when Larkin was injured. Idk what people see sometimes but it's delusional to say he did well down the stretch. 8 of his 12 goals came in the first two months.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Swerve Sprong, Berggren has earned the right to play the role of “guy who chips in occasional offense and plays no defense” this year.

Veleno contributes more than both and I’m not even that crazy about Veleno.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't think Veleno is overpaid. He's a good skating young centerman that's not a liability. That costs money.

The silver lining is he has shown signs of breaking out! The neg. is he hasn't maintained consistency. If he figures out consistency, then he's a valuable bottom six center worth more than his 2.5m.

Not comparing Filppula to Veleno as players, but Flip use to frustrate me to no end! Just as Veleno does now. You know there's more there, but just hasn't put it together.

I don't understand the outrage in this thread. You don't need your 4th line to be game breakers. Just not get scored on while chipping in offensively - JV has done exactly that; (12g+16a). That being said, I see Veleno topping out as a 40 point center. That should be very reasonable expectations considering his year-over-year increased production.

Comparison: Anton Lundell is 1.5 years younger, scored 7 more points and gets paid 5m year.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't think Veleno is overpaid. He's a good skating young centerman that's not a liability. That costs money.

The silver lining is he has shown signs of breaking out! The neg. is he hasn't maintained consistency. If he figures out consistency, then he's a valuable bottom six center worth more than his 2.5m.

Not comparing Filppula to Veleno as players, but Flip use to frustrate me to no end! Just as Veleno does now. You know there's more there, but just hasn't put it together.

I don't understand the outrage in this thread. You don't need your 4th line to be game breakers. Just not get scored on while chipping in offensively - JV has done exactly that; (12g+16a). That being said, I see Veleno topping out as a 40 point center. That should be very reasonable expectations considering his year-over-year increased production.

Comparison: Anton Lundell is 1.5 years younger, scored 7 more points and gets paid 5m year.

Anton Lundell just had a hell of a playoffs and is better defensively far and away. And he’s not hemmed into his own zone most of the game like Veleno was. It’s the difference between a very good 3rd liner and run of the mill 4th liner.

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
I watched most of the games last year and in no way am I an analyst but in what universe did Veleno do anything to earn this pay raise? We are rewarding middling talent with the deadly potential attribute. Veleno does not, has not and will not move the needle, he should have been dealt.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Anton Lundell just had a hell of a playoffs and is better defensively far and away. And he’s not hemmed into his own zone most of the game like Veleno was. It’s the difference between a very good 3rd liner and run of the mill 4th liner.
So, like Copp?

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
This totally false. Made up completely even.

He had two points in the month of March while looking terrible on a top line when Larkin was injured. Idk what people see sometimes but it's delusional to say he did well down the stretch. 8 of his 12 goals came in the first two months.
Can you point out to me where I said his production was amazing or how he could step up on the 1st line? Of course you can't! You just felt the need to be reactionary, yet again, and provide an off topic response.

I'm stating he actually tried when the rest of the team looked dead. And, he is passable for his place on the team ...bottom 6 guy.

Try reading and understanding what people say before you respond. Otherwise what you say comes off as completely false. Made up completely even.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Can you point out to me where I said his production was amazing or how he could step up on the 1st line? Of course you can't! You just felt the need to be reactionary, yet again, and provide an off topic response.

I'm stating he actually tried when the rest of the team looked dead. And, he is passable for his place on the team ...bottom 6 guy.

Try reading and understanding what people say before you respond. Otherwise what you say comes off as completely false. Made up completely even.
I think it's made up he gave good effort. Productions also proves it outside of me watching him play/the games.

* He wasn't that bad at face-offs for a guy under 15 mins a night.

I think it's too much money but should let Kasper/Danielson walk in the door if either are really that good.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I think it's made up he gave good effort. Productions also proves it outside of me watching him play/the games.

* He wasn't that bad at face-offs for a guy under 15 mins a night.
That isn't what you said at all in your first response. If you did, there would be a talking point. Since you can't back up what I called you out on and moved the goalposts we'll just move on.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
That isn't what you said at all in your first response. If you did, there would be a talking point. Since you can't back up what I called you out on and moved the goalposts we'll just move on.
Lol, ok.

Joe Veleno doesn't give good effort.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

You of all people know depth matters. JV was playing with Kostin and Sprong.... Lundell would struggle too!

Didn't Lundell play on a line with Reinhart; who is an 8.6m avv player? How nice!

EDIT: I hope I don't have to say that I DON'T think JV is on Lundell's level, but rather both are centers, close to the same age, and put up the similar amount of points. Lundell is a beast defensively, while JV only showed flashes at times. One is consistent, the other is inconsistent. Lundell makes 5m yet only put up 7 more points than the 2.5m guy.

I think JV is paid accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Well, the Lundell talk should just stop. He's a very good young player, his production going down because his role has shifted to primarily defensive, and quality of linemates has gone down each year. If they move on from Bennett someday he'll be their 2C.

Some people aren't getting the main point. In order to keep Veleno as an on-ice or trade asset, they needed to pay him something close to what he got. That's what happens when players are arbitration eligible and file for it. That's a young player's first access to contract leverage after basically having no choice but to accept a team's offer or hold out, threaten to go to Europe, etc. He probably filed for it because the Wings didn't want to give him what he got and negotiations weren't gong anywhere. Everybody knows how arbitration works and that's why almost everyone settles at predictable price/term instead of wasting time on the hearing. The Wihgs may very well have tried to trade him last season, but given they ended up with Czarnik playing a quadrillion games it was probably a good idea they didn't. They weren't going to be able to trade him this summer until the arb case was heard or he was signed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well, the Lundell talk should just stop. He's a very good young player, his production going down because his role has shifted to primarily defensive, and quality of linemates has gone down each year. If they move on from Bennett someday he'll be their 2C.

Some people aren't getting the main point. In order to keep Veleno as an on-ice or trade asset, they needed to pay him something close to what he got. That's what happens when players are arbitration eligible and file for it. That's a young player's first access to contract leverage after basically having no choice but to accept a team's offer or hold out, threaten to go to Europe, etc. He probably filed for it because the Wings didn't want to give him what he got and negotiations weren't gong anywhere. Everybody knows how arbitration works and that's why almost everyone settles at predictable price/term instead of wasting time on the hearing. The Wihgs may very well have tried to trade him last season, but given they ended up with Czarnik playing a quadrillion games it was probably a good idea they didn't. They weren't going to be able to trade him this summer until the arb case was heard or he was signed.
What you're saying is logical. But seeing as I didn't even want him on the team, I'm still disappointed that it went this route.

Now if by some small miracle Yzerman is able to deal or package Veleno for a desirable asset or two, then marvelous. But I don't see that happening at all. I see Detroit continuing to play a very forgettable player until his deal is up, with no other teams having interest, and then that player will have to find another hockey league to continue his career, likely in Europe.

Drafting Veleno was a bad move by the last regime. Keeping him is a bad move by this one. Certainly not a giant one, and nobody is perfect, but between this and the Walman trade and the Copp signing and the Holl signing, I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the accumulation of the relatively small (yet completely unforced) dumb moves.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
What you're saying is logical. But seeing as I didn't even want him on the team, I'm still disappointed that it went this route.

Now if by some small miracle Yzerman is able to deal or package Veleno for a desirable asset or two, then marvelous. But I don't see that happening at all. I see Detroit continuing to play a very forgettable player until his deal is up, with no other teams having interest, and then that player will have to find another hockey league to continue his career, likely in Europe.

Drafting Veleno was a bad move by the last regime. Keeping him is a bad move by this one. Certainly not a giant one, and nobody is perfect, but between this and the Walman trade and the Copp signing and the Holl signing, I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the accumulation of the relatively small (yet completely unforced) dumb moves.

Everybody has their guy they don't think should be in the league, or get paid what he does, or is for no apparent reason liked by other fans. I'm not a Veleno fan but you're under-selling him by a considerable amount. Worse players have played 400-plus NHL games and I expect Veleno will pass that number fairly easily, he's already over 200. He'll be classified as a good pick in every future study of Draft efficiency. Even if he's moved out, he'll get many more chances elsewhere because he can skate and when committed will hit people. That's more than some can or want to do. And eventually, if he doesn't improve, he'll be a league minimum player and considered a good depth guy. I think you can look forward to a few more years, at least, of being flabbergasted that Veleno can still be in the league.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Everybody has their guy they don't think should be in the league, or get paid what he does, or is for no apparent reason liked by other fans. I'm not a Veleno fan but you're under-selling him by a considerable amount. Worse players have played 400-plus NHL games and I expect Veleno will pass that number fairly easily, he's already over 200. He'll be classified as a good pick in every future study of Draft efficiency. Even if he's moved out, he'll get many more chances elsewhere because he can skate and when committed will hit people. That's more than some can or want to do. And eventually, if he doesn't improve, he'll be a league minimum player and considered a good depth guy. I think you can look forward to a few more years, at least, of being flabbergasted that Veleno can still be in the league.
It's not that I'm outraged he's collecting an NHL paycheck. It's that he will never ever move the needle here, and I'm tired of Yzerman shopping for Hydrox instead of Oreos for however more years he thinks the kids still need.

Either pony up some real money for some real players or trade some assets for some real players. Actual impact guys instead of bandaids. Honestly, other than Kane, who had a very unique situation, ever single one of his free agents and RFAs have been underwhelming.

Or just be honest and let the fans know how many more years they can skip until there's a team serious about making the playoffs and providing a good product along the way.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Copp and Holl have bad contracts, that is it. Veleno , Huso, Tarasenko and Chiarot bit overpriced contracts, but still ok. Still 2 big contracts needs to get done

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad