Confirmed with Link: Veleno signs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly, I don't know why we didn't just go to the arbitration hearing. I feel like he'd have been awarded 1-1.5 mil AAV by an arbitrator.

I also don't like that we seem to consistently overpay on contracts. Ras, Veleno, Copp, Chiarot, Holl, etc all make too much. If this continues to be a problem once we have some actually big ticket contracts, it's going to make it hard to fill out a good team. You can't afford to overpay depth in the cap era. We had to pay a second to get rid of Walman because of these inefficiencies and we're still doing it

Reactions: lilidk

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Honestly, I don't know why we didn't just go to the arbitration hearing. I feel like he'd have been awarded 1-1.5 mil AAV by an arbitrator.

I also don't like that we seem to consistently overpay on contracts. Ras, Veleno, Copp, Chiarot, Holl, etc all make too much. If this continues to be a problem once we have some actually big ticket contracts, it's going to make it hard to fill out a good team. You can't afford to overpay depth in the cap era. We had to pay a second to get rid of Walman because of these inefficiencies and we're still doing it
And if this was with an irreplaceable player, that would at least have some logic. A guy who drives the bus or at least performs a role you can't find elsewhere. But doing this with Veleno is like saying you couldn't possibly live without rice cakes.

Um, Steve, rice cakes are cheap and bland and sold at every grocery store in the country. You don't need to prioritize keeping this particular rice cake.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You could do/say this with every team in the league. You’re not going to win on every contract you give out.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
maybe a lot of that won't be here(or maybe it will who knows) but I feel like Veleno is gonna be one of those guys that quietly racks up 1000+ NHL games played by the time his career is over

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Last season Veleno was underpaid and now he's overpaid, still his potential is higher than Copp, who made, how much?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
If the Wings had gone to arbitration with the offer some of you think would have been appropriate for Veleno, they would have lost. Then their choice would have been to either accept what the arbitrator determined, or walk away and make Veleno a free agent, getting nothing for him. In the process they and Veleno would have traded insults in front of an arbitrator, spent money on lawyers, wasted off-season time that could be spent on other matters, all for the sake of what would amount to a pittance relative to the Cap.

This is all about what the market dictates for an asset. Some don't think Veleno's much of an asset, but it sounds like they would prefer to cut off their nose to spite their face. If Veleno is overpaid, it's perhaps by 100K. He would have got much the same deal from the arbitrator that Trent Frederick ($2.3Mx2) and Kurashev ($2.25Mx2) got a year ago -- Frederick via negotiations that avoided an arb hearing, Kurashev via an arbitration award. Similar NHL experience, similar productivity as Veleno leading up to their contracts. A slightly less similar example like Ryan McLeod ($2.1Mx2) would have underlined the market value. Texier, with 30 points last season and problems in Columbus that led him to play in Switzerland the year before, got $2.1Mx2 this summer. Kostin, who doesn't have a clue what he's supposed to do in the ice and clearly less valuable than Veleno, just got $2Mx1.

Some teams, like Philly with Morgan Frost, Columbus with oft-injured Chinakhov, get their RFAs on great short-term deals. Those are rare. Most sign predictable one- or two-year deals based on what the majority of their peers in age/experience/productivity get. That's what Veleno got. Now that's it done, rather than waiting around for up to a month for the arb process to play out, they can move oo to other matters. Like possibly trading Veleno while some guys they might like to acquire are still available.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Near all the above. He's a 4th line center and marginal NHL player. He does stay healthy, is a gym rat and a good teammate, but that can be had for less. Other than the lack of center depth, this appears to be an over payment.

Veleno is a defensively adequate bottom six center, whose offensive game is growing year over year but isn't nearly as consistent enough to be considered impactful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad