Player Discussion Aatu Raty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I find the discussion of the technical aspects of skating and what he did to improve his skating really fascinating. I always thought that by this stage the technical deficiencies would be fixed but it sounds much more complex than I’d thought. His statement that the penny finally dropped is an interesting one as well.
seems like sports science for Hockey is way behind. If this was European football, all the biomechanical motion would’ve been tracked.

Hockey still has a “you figure it out yourself” mindset.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
seems like sports science for Hockey is way behind. If this was European football, all the biomechanical motion would’ve been tracked.

Hockey still has a “you figure it out yourself” mindset.

There’s a pretty enormous difference in scale as far as the money behind the industry is concerned.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There’s a pretty enormous difference in scale as far as the money behind the industry is concerned.
Sports science is not going to even cost like a M per year. Considering the cap is at like 90M and like half the teams are going to spend that much anyways, cost of sports science is not that bad.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think there's about zero chance Tocchet replaces Suter/Blueger with a rookie. They probably have a better chance on the wing, but there's not much room even then. If it were to happen, I suppose Suter could move back to wing, but there is absolutely no chance Blueger isn't playing C on the Canucks this year. He was the team's top penalty killer, and is basically locked in the line-up.

Agreed. The opportunity usually comes with injuries. Ideally players who are in their last year of waiver exemption get a longish look so you can decide whether you want to pencil the player into the lineup next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even the the ardent pessimist about Raty's potential has to relent a little, watching his work in this YoungStars tournament. His skating and edgework are far superior to what they were. Clearly he's put his off-season to good use, and has really worked on all aspects of his skating.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Even the the ardent pessimist about Raty's potential has to relent a little, watching his work in this YoungStars tournament. His skating and edgework are far superior to what they were. Clearly he's put his off-season to good use, and has really worked on all aspects of his skating.
100% agreed. Plus his comments stated that he knew what he needed to work and and actively got better at those thing. Still only 21 and is starting to know what he needs to do to take the next step. 3rd line center next year, transitions to 2nd line center in 2 or 3 years as EP40 moves to 1st line center and JT becomes that 3rd line center that provides grit and leadership later in his career.

...or something like that.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
100% agreed. Plus his comments stated that he knew what he needed to work and and actively got better at those thing. Still only 21 and is starting to know what he needs to do to take the next step. 3rd line center next year, transitions to 2nd line center in 2 or 3 years as EP40 moves to 1st line center and JT becomes that 3rd line center that provides grit and leadership later in his career.

...or something like that.
How does Puck Munchkin feel about this? He apparently was not a fan of his training regimen.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is troll bait. I get that we give each other a hard time on the Canucks part of this forum and maybe I am missing the joke?

Puck Munchkin made a recent post about Raty's skating based on hearsay that he fully believed in and backed by his own perception of what hockey training is like in Finland. Not everything has to be a gotcha or trolling.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Puck Munchkin made a recent post about Raty's skating based on hearsay that he fully believed in and backed by his own perception of what hockey training is like in Finland. Not everything has to be a gotcha or trolling.
A totally different player this year, at least based on his performance at the Young-stars tournament. He was beating d-men wide and taking the puck to the paint.....something he rarely if ever did last season.

For the first time in ages I actually have faith in the Canucks pro and amateur scouts. There was a reason why they made Raty one of the center-pieces of the Bo Horvat deal. Hopefully he's tracking just the way they projected he would be.

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad