Confirmed with Link: Veleno signs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Veleno just set career highs across the board in G, A, Pts, TOI, FO pct. One less goal and five fewer points than Rasmussen, who just got $3.2Mx4. More center versatility than Rasmussen. When he hits people, which was not often enough last season, he does it with some authority, unlike Rasmussen. I doubted he was going to get any less than $2.5M on a one-year deal if it went to arbitration, so $2.275x2 is about right.

More importantly, it gets the deal done. He wasn't going to be traded while it was still up in the air and headed for arb, and maybe he won't get traded anyway, but at least now it's possible
Yeah, I have never been much of a Rasmussen guy and can take or leave Joey V, but his production makes this contract more valuable than the one Raz got based on production alone. I can take or leave this signing but JV can lock down that 4th center spot and you can more or less forget about him. No big deal either way and pretty easy to move if it comes to that.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This is Yzerman's signing to tell Kasper, Danielson and Co. to earn their roster spot or enjoy Grand Rapids for now. I still think Veleno has a spot on the team, he still has room to improve. He can skate, carry the puck, has improved in the F.O. circle, and seems to have a good attitude and relationship with the organization. He could very well get traded or who knows but he had stretches last year, especially in the first half where he looked to have taken a step forward.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Yeah, I have never been much of a Rasmussen guy and can take or leave Joey V, but his production makes this contract more valuable than the one Raz got based on production alone. I can take or leave this signing but JV can lock down that 4th center spot and you can more or less forget about him. No big deal either way and pretty easy to move if it comes to that.

I'm not a big Joe fan. There's not a lot there in terms of good ideas with the puck so if he isn't physical, he's invisible in a lot of games. But neither does he make a lot of mistakes, very few give-aways, blatantly bad passes. He doesn;t give up defensively and you can't fault his effort for the most part. So yeah, just a little more consistent physicality and he'd be fine as a 4C and can provide some depth insurance at any forward position.

Mostly though I think of him as trade bait. Guys with his size, skating ability and willingness to be physical are always going to draw some interest and he's still young enough, and improving production, for someone to think there might be more there. Cost certainty for a second year makes him easier to move and if he can help bring back the right guy (ie, a vet 2RD like Adam Larsson), you can afford to retain a bit if you have to.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I was pleasantly surprised by Veleno early on in the season but then he seemed to regresss to regular old Joe.

Hopefully this is a final “prove it” contract and he either takes the best step and stays there or finds himself out of the lineup, and possibly on a different team.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I mean, he’s probably overpaid… 750k a year? about the same as a vet min guy? Don’t think it really matters and if we needed to, he is easily shippable. Shoulder shrug. Here’s hoping he gets himself up to a 35pts, and plays a solid all around game and then we can send him off for a Matthew Savoie level prospect. Easy

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Signing Veleno implies we will basically have exactly the same team next year. No new faces, no actual competition in the training camp, no hope for some unexpected trades.

I was waiting to see what Yzerman will de with him. To me, this minor signing is the turning point on my blind belief in Yzerplan. Virtually anyone is better than Veleno. Good GMs also find a way to convert these strange players into Savoie.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm truly pissed now.

PS Definitely I'm happy for Joe personally :)

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Signing Veleno implies we will basically have exactly the same team next year. No new faces, no actual competition in the training camp, no hope for some unexpected trades.

I was waiting to see what Yzerman will de with him. To me, this minor signing is the turning point on my blind belief in Yzerplan. Virtually anyone is better than Veleno. Good GMs also find a way to convert these strange players into Savoie.

While I got nothing against Yzerman, but I too am rather ‘meh’ with the offseason so far.

My guess is he was really hoping for the Trouba deal to work out and that would have been his big move :confused:

Reactions: DamonDRW

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A bit surprised people are so down on Veleno. He actually took a pretty good step forward. Faded in the second half but he’s still young and on an upwards trajectory. Guys like him and Rasmussen could start giving us some unexpected value if they hit a breakout.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
A bit surprised people are so down on Veleno. He actually took a pretty good step forward. Faded in the second half but he’s still young and on an upwards trajectory. Guys like him and Rasmussen could start giving us some unexpected value if they hit a breakout.
What kind of unexpected value? Being a warm body on a 3rd line? The only way how you can be successful in NHL with such a low hockey IQ is by being a relentless forchecker with exceptional speed and agility. I fall asleep watching Veleno with the puck.

Maybe we may finally try some other guys there like Danielsson, Berggren or Kasper? Now we need to sit a 3M player for this and it is always a difficult decision.

Reactions: FMichael

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Zadina was too much at 1.8 with more cap space, but Veleno is fine for Detroit at 2.25? Their production and usefulness is about the same. Veleno had a good start to last season, and then it went nowhere after that.

Reactions: Henkka and FMichael

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised by Veleno early on in the season but then he seemed to regresss to regular old Joe.

Hopefully this is a final “prove it” contract and he either takes the best step and stays there or finds himself out of the lineup, and possibly on a different team.

Yeah, great start and I thought oh maybe he will breakout, but then he was basically just a body out there the rest of the season.

Holl got scratched at 3.4, so if Veleno gets beat out he can be scratched as well. I think 2 yr at 1.5 per was fair for what he brings.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

You're overreacting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Zadina was too much at 1.8 with more cap space, but Veleno is fine for Detroit at 2.25? Their production and usefulness is about the same. Veleno had a good start to last season, and then it went nowhere after that.
Veleno is a more useful NHL player by a lot. He can win draws, has speed, PK, and is decent at defensive concepts. He either needs to get to 30 points this year or start being a lot more punishing on the forecheck. Don't care which one, but Veleno has NHL talent and is a player NHL coaches will put on the ice. Zadina, welp not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad