Player Discussion Marner

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Like last night when Nylander saved a shorthanded goal backchecking, and later Marner was out of position on the Devils' second goal?

Perhaps you should check on the meaning of "cognitive dissonance", because "I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Well said.

Nylander is better at preventing goals on PK/60 for years now. Not that it prevents team Marner from hyping the worst player at preventing goals on PK - Mitch Marner and sh*tting on Nylanders defensive abilities.

Nothing Nylander can do will change the narrative team Marner spins. Alternatively it doesn't matter how many times you point out how bad Mitch is at preventing goals on PK (he cheats for offense on PK hence why he gets the odd goal now and then and why he is one of the worst at preventing goals on PK - league wise (goals allowed on PK/60).

You know he got no clue when he uses it incorrectly twice in a row. Just using new catchphrase !

Reactions: freshwind

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Well said.

Nylander is better at preventing goals on PK/60 for years now. Not that it prevents team Marner from hyping the worst player at preventing goals on PK - Mitch Marner and sh*tting on Nylanders defensive abilities.

Nothing Nylander can do will change the narrative team Marner spins. Alternatively it doesn't matter how many times you point out how bad Mitch is at preventing goals on PK (he cheats for offense on PK hence why he gets the odd goal now and then and why he is one of the worst at preventing goals on PK - league wise (goals allowed on PK/60).

You know he got no clue when he uses it incorrectly twice in a row. Just using new catchphrase !

What does what he said have to do with the PK? He said Nylander helped protect against a short handed chance. Which means the leafs were on the PP. not PK.

Marner was not healthy at all, he was dealing with an high ankle sprain injury... He was playing but his ankle was certainly not healthy, its kind of injury needing time to get good feeling...

Brad Treliving did make mention of this in his spitting Chicklets appearance. Was kind of surprised cause it didn’t look like it was affecting him all that much. But maybe it was what do we know.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What does what he said have to do with the PK? He said Nylander helped protect against a short handed chance. Which means the leafs were on the PP. not PK.

Brad Treliving did make mention of this in his spitting Chicklets appearance. Was kind of surprised cause it didn’t look like it was affecting him all that much. But maybe it was what do we know.
Pretty obvious to spot live he was hurting a bit, obviously not enough to keep him out and he never used it as an excuse.

Not his best game last night but that PK late in the 3rd was pretty good.

Jun 27, 2005
Like last night when Nylander saved a shorthanded goal backchecking, and later Marner was out of position on the Devils' second goal?

Perhaps you should check on the meaning of "cognitive dissonance", because "I do not think it means what you think it means.”
Of course, again, a sample size of one game. You people are so predictable. This is exactly the type of nonsense you guys have resorted to. You're rejecting long term indisputable facts and trick yourselves into justifying a fake reality whenever Marner makes a mistake. This is exactly an example of your cognitive dissonance. How can you not see it? Are we going to discuss every poor play Marner makes? Ok, then I hope you're going to discuss every brilliant play he makes as well? You guys are still talking about flipping the puck over the boards in the Habs series. Do you not see what you are doing? Do you finally get it?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Of course, again, a sample size of one game. You people are so predictable. This is exactly the type of nonsense you guys have resorted to. You're rejecting long term indisputable facts and trick yourselves into justifying a fake reality whenever Marner makes a mistake. This is exactly an example of your cognitive dissonance. How can you not see it? Are we going to discuss every poor play Marner makes? Ok, then I hope you're going to discuss every brilliant play he makes as well? You guys are still talking about flipping the puck over the boards in the Habs series. Do you not see what you are doing? Do you finally get it?

Talk about predictable, it's not a small sample size buddy. Nylander is objectively better on PK by the only matric that should matter on PK. Goals allowed /60. FOR SEASONS.

You are using small sample size like you are trying to say it was an outlier. It wasn't . Nylander better on PK when you need someone to defend. Mitch one of the worst we have. For years. He scores on PK :sarcasm:

One game :D. You are funny. It's always one game, but you can group them into seasons and Nylander is still better on PK. Surprise surprise.

Jun 27, 2005
Talk about predictable, it's not a small sample size buddy. Nylander is objectively better on PK by the only matric that should matter on PK. Goals allowed /60. FOR SEASONS.

You are using small sample size like you are trying to say it was an outlier. It wasn't . Nylander better on PK when you need someone to defend. Mitch one of the worst we have. For years. He scores on PK :sarcasm:

One game :D. You are funny. It's always one game, but you can group them into seasons and Nylander is still better on PK. Surprise surprise.
You might want to pay attention. I've never said anything about the PK and post the you're responding to was someone responding to me in a thread that never mentioned PK. Pay attention and don't waste people's time.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Wow, I love when you guys play stupid. Ok if you insist. I was pointing out that Nylander is so much better at preventing goals on PK (shorthanded situation) as opposed to Mitch ( one of the worst we have), it should shock no one he made a great play on short-handed chance.

Why would you be shocked when he is so much better at defending? As can be clearly see by goals allowed on PK.

Hope it's clear now. Mitch is not good at defending, despite the narrative you keep on spinning. He can't do it on PK, meh 5v5 in the regular season, and could not stop my grandma in playoffs.

You might want to pay attention. I've never said anything about the PK and post you're responding to was someone responding to me in a thread that never mentioned PK. Pay attention and don't waste peoples time.

if you don't think shorthanded situation is similar to preventing goals on PK. That's on you buddy

Jun 27, 2005
if you don't think shorthanded situation is similar to preventing goals on PK. That's on you buddy
No one, in the thread you jumped into the middle of was talking about anything other than long term 5v5 where the stats are indisputable. You guys do that alot. Jump into a discussion that you don't know what's going on.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Then why didn't they mention anything about it the season ending presser? And why did they bring him back several games earlier prior to the playoffs?

You're certainly never had any ankle sprainl in your life. You can be able to put weigh on your feet, skating and whatever ( so be in position to play).. but you don't get back all your flexibility, its something you need time...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nylander is objectively better on PK by the only matric that should matter on PK. Goals allowed /60. FOR SEASONS.
Objectively, Nylander is worse on the PK. Not sure where "for seasons" even comes from when Nylander has only had one season playing any meaningful PK time. Nylander faced secondary units and did worse than Marner facing primary units. You don't seem to understand how to evaluate PK performance, or apply context to the results you find.

Reactions: thusk

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I like Marner. Good player. I thought he was going to Vegas but if they want to keep him
So be it. It’s just funny.

Dreger was all about getting a 30 goal 90 pt Marner 13 million in a 81 cap, but

Tavares as a 30 goal 65 pt C “has to be less than 5” on a 92.5 cap.

My guess is 8 x 11.93 now. That would be the most fair.

He isn’t rantanen. He isn’t drai.

He has to be 11.5-14 and he is a LOT closer to Willy than Drai.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This isnt the real point.

Marner is great at some things. But it doesn't give us a playoff worthy team.

Change.Is.Needed.

And that change IS Marner.

It's inescapable.

Except it doesn’t sound like that’s the plan so it’s not though right?

Alll indications from all sides and insiders is that he is staying.

I still think a karlson/theo swap with Vegas was the right move but here we are.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I like Marner. Good player. I thought he was going to Vegas but if they want to keep him
So be it. It’s just funny.

Dreger was all about getting a 30 goal 90 pt Marner 13 million in a 81 cap, but

Tavares as a 30 goal 65 pt C “has to be less than 5” on a 92.5 cap.

My guess is 8 x 11.93 now. That would be the most fair.

He isn’t rantanen. He isn’t drai.

He has to be 11.5-14 and he is a LOT closer to Willy than Drai.
I think it will end up being around $12.25 per season, and I think he will sign for max term. We'll then get article after article about how much he loves Toronto.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Except it doesn’t sound like that’s the plan so it’s not though right?

All indications from all sides and insiders is that he is staying.

Sure.

But they have to say that.

Tre will get poor return if it is clear Marner is being heavily shopped.

And it will be VERY disruptive to the season.

You cannot rely on any of those sources.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You're the person who gave an unspecified single example, and I responded with a concrete instance from the most recent game.

I haven't rejected "long term indisputable facts", although I will point out when they are used to hide more relevant recent trends (for example, Nylander's career ppg of 0.88 is perhaps less relevant than his 1.08 ppg over the last three seasons). I have never mentioned his "flipping the puck over the boards".

And you have again misused the term "cognitive dissonance".

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
If Marner wants to stay I put him on a one year deal 14 AAV x 1.
I line up McDavid's extension with his contract.

And I let the chips fall where they may.

and he leaves.

Jun 27, 2005
You're the person who gave an unspecified single example, and I responded with a concrete instance from the most recent game.
A one game sample size is irrelevant to anything, that's the point.
You responded to a post in a thread about long term facts with a one game example.
That's where the cognitive dissonance comes in. The people that don't appreciate Marner, especially compared to Nylander refuse to accept facts and use single games examples to justify their flawed realIty.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think it will end up being around $12.25 per season, and I think he will sign for max term. We'll then get article after article about how much he loves Toronto.

The average in high tax markets has been 14% cap so that would be generally 12.95.

I wonder if that softens with higher cap. So 12.25 would be about 13.2% so that does seem reasonable.

If he really wants his numbers. 12.16 or 11.93 are the most likely.

I think you say. Rantanen contract. He is slightly better but his taxes are better so call it a wash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad