Value of: Marner

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
https://media.d3.nhle.com/image/private/t_ratio16_9-size40/f_png/prd/rpmfrmy9zcn53fcecuo6.png
that's a regular season award

Reactions: Linds

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A lot less than you and leafs fans think.
That would be funny if it wasn't always the other way around. 90% of Leaf fans use cautious media based valuations and are usually right. HF posters always have low ball valuations that are always wrong. This is well documented and I've won many bets on it. So it was funny in that "I don't know I'm being ironic" kind of way but probably not your goal. Keep trying.

• Haha
Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That would be funny if it wasn't always the other way around. 90% of Leaf fans use cautious media based valuations and are usually right. HF posters always have low ball valuations that are always wrong. This is well documented and I've won many bets on it. So it was funny in that "I don't know I'm being ironic" kind of way but probably not your goal. Keep trying.
Never noticed that.
So what do you think he gets, if traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
90% of Leaf fans use cautious media based valuations and are usually right. HF posters always have low ball valuations that are always wrong.
This coming straight from TSN? :D :D Delusional ppl up north...

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I believe Mitch and his reps know that his best bang for his buck is Toronto as they already screwed their pay system and will have to pay Mitch on par with Willy.
If Mitch hits the open market he will have to fall within his new teams pay structure and not many teams will see him as 11+mil player.
If he is trade with retention he has value or if its a sign and trade type deal.
If not we are looking at rental prices
1st, 2nd, prospect and maybe cash player coming back

Reactions: Dog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
An extended Marner would carry very high value but a 1 year rental at 11M is not getting much of a return.

Common sentiment, but not necessarily true.

If PLD could get value with 1 year left on his deal, Mitch Marner certainly can too.

This is if the Leafs even want to move him.

Edit: nevermind, I did not remember PLD being a sign and trade

Last edited:

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Leafs have been overpaying every "CORE" player since Dubas f***ed it up.

No other team will give Marner even $10M/Year. His comparables make way less as is and he is probably looking for a raise from his $10.9M.

Leafs are the only team that "WE CAN AND WE WILL" pay him anything starting with 10. Then again, he has an ego, probably thinks he deserves more than the now overpaid Nylander.

Good luck to Leafs.
Panarin got 11.6 and had a career high of 87 points.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
How so? They kept him for 8 years and achieved nothing with him.

I'd rather the 11 million in cap space.

The narrative around Marner has gotten ridiculously stupid. He’s still an excellent player and his “playoff no shows” people point to are nowhere close to as bad as the fans and media make out.

That in no way means he doesn’t need to be better, but players who are no shows aren’t tied for 21st among all active NHL players in playoff points per game.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If he went at the deadline with full retention then yes, a pretty good return. This summer without a new contract and no retention the return would likely include a pending UFA and one really good piece.

If marner is not dealt by the start of the season, there is a near zero percent chance he is moved in season unless the leafs season absolutely implodes which is unlikely

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Book is out on Marner. At 11+ million he will command. Value wont be much. Maybe another cap dump.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
The narrative around Marner has gotten ridiculously stupid. He’s still an excellent player and his “playoff no shows” people point to are nowhere close to as bad as the fans and media make out.

That in no way means he doesn’t need to be better, but players who are no shows aren’t tied for 21st among all active NHL players in playoff points per game.
Tyler Bertuzzi is 11th. Pretty useless stat

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I believe Mitch and his reps know that his best bang for his buck is Toronto as they already screwed their pay system and will have to pay Mitch on par with Willy.
If Mitch hits the open market he will have to fall within his new teams pay structure and not many teams will see him as 11+mil player.
Absolute BS. There would be teams willing to give him a raise. There always are some, because not a whole lot of players of his caliber actually reach free agency. You can say whatever you want about his playoff resume, all fair, but he is a top winger in the league.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

Nah they actually are horrendous.

Marner goes from
12th points/60 in the season to 46th in the playoffs
105th goals/60 in the season to 205 in the playoffs

The step up in competition is offset by the fact that basically half the players don't make it.

He is one of the highest paid players in the league playing with insane talent, the minimum for this team should've been a ECF appearance with this level of talent, instead we're nearing a decade into his career and he has 1 2nd round playoff game win so far, pathetic when you factor in collapses, losing to worse teams and his no shows.

I guess he can take solace in Matthews and Tavares being equally awful (what a relief!)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The value in Marner is in dumping his salary and using the money on proven winners. Like it or not, Marner has a stigma as a record performing loser. If you want to get into the playoffs he has value but Toronto needs to win now. Tre and Shanahan are gambling unless they sign and trade him but the offers may not come from teams his Royal Highness wants to go to. It's Toronto so one thing is guaranteed, this won't end well. My guess, they lose 2nd round and Marner walks. The Leafs fire everybody and say we need to do another 10 year rebuild. I think it's over for this group.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
that's a regular season award
So he'd be perfect on the Sabres since they haven't been in the playoffs for 13 years and only 4 times in the past 24 years. You clearly need some players that can perform in the regular season. The last thing you need to worry about is how they play in the playoffs. Just get there first.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's a tough situation for the Leafs. He won't waive and he's a really good player you don't want to lose for nothing. You're left with 2 bad options. You either re-sign him and continue the flawed roster construction or you let him walk and get nothing for him.

Much as I know this will be unpopular, I re-sign him. You'll have the Tavares cap to address 2C and a top pairing D. That's if the cap hit is under 11M. Over 11M I probably let him walk, much as it would suck.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The value in Marner is in dumping his salary and using the money on proven winners. Like it or not, Marner has a stigma as a record performing loser.
Lol.

When Panarin was a free agent, he wasn't known as this mega playoff superstar. And he hasn't been one in New York either. He's still the highest paid winger in the league. And I don't think too many people think he's that much overpaid.

Marner's value is certainly not in the "dumping the salary tier". But it's hard to determine the real value because there might be none. He might not be interested in waiving his clause for any team.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Panarin got 11.6 and had a career high of 87 points.
NYR is hard market, they'll sign someone for big money, but they're also ruthless like Toronto at least used to be. Panarin hasn't delivered in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if NYR fans view Panarin as a slightly better Marner at this point. There's no chance NYR pays Panarin what he is making now again.

Leafs may give Marner a raise. That's the difference. If another team gives him $11M a year, I'll just be surprised and wrong.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Absolute BS. There would be teams willing to give him a raise. There always are some, because not a whole lot of players of his caliber actually reach free agency. You can say whatever you want about his playoff resume, all fair, but he is a top winger in the league.
I'm sad that Toronto's salary structure is so f***ed up that you think it's normal that players should be getting overpaid by up to $2M a year. Or is it the taxes again?

Rantanen took $9.5M in the same summer Marner got his deal. Marner had no business getting almost $1.5M more than Rantanen at the time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm sad that Toronto's salary structure is so f***ed up that you think it's normal that players should be getting overpaid by up to $2M a year. Or is it the taxes again?

Rantanen took $9.5M in the same summer Marner got his deal. Marner had no business getting almost $1.5M more than Rantanen at the time.
I do agree, Marner was overpaid compared to his winger peers during that offseason. But him getting more than 12 million in the UFA market is absolutely realism.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I do agree, Marner was overpaid compared to his winger peers during that offseason. But him getting more than 12 million in the UFA market is absolutely realism.
I guess I just disagree there. He would get that from Toronto only. Other teams that have proper salary structures, such as the Panthers, would never pay that.

Marner likely won't take Nylander's deal, which was an overpayment, due to his ego.

Cap may go up, but salaries don't just correlate to it 1:1 as some Leafs fans think.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I guess I just disagree there. He would get that from Toronto only. Other teams that have proper salary structures, such as the Panthers, would never pay that.

Marner likely won't take Nylander's deal, which was an overpayment, due to his ego.

Cap may go up, but salaries don't just correlate to it 1:1 as some Leafs fans think.
Well obviously not the Panthers. Utah? San Jose? NYI? There are teams who are desperate for talent. Players of his caliber usually don’t hit UFA. Panarin was the latest, and he had maybe 12.5 to 14m on the table from the Islanders.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
What is the value of Marner? What would people pay for just 1 year or an extended Marner?
I think it’s sage to say Marner will be playing out his final year in Toronto and just walking away

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00