Value of: Marner

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I never said a rebuild wouldn’t want proven winners; that said, if you’re rebuilding and entering a 10 year rebuild as the original post suggested, the insinuating is you are bottoming out, so it’s pretty unlikely they are priority.

I think it was very very obvious to anyone using even half a brain cell that his first sentence was about trading Marner for proven winners to improve the team now. The last one is about tearing it down even though the cap space marner would leave could still very much be used still to enact the original plan.

Again, I know full well what a contradiction is and it is one.

Maybe you should read the whole discussion and actually ensure you understand what was being discussed before interjecting

The Blackhawks just signed Pat Maroon. What is happening in the world? Why would the rebuilding Blackhawks go out and sign a proven winner? Don't they understand that if they are rebuilding they actually can't have proven winners because of the contradiction? How is the league even allowing this?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The Blackhawks just signed Pat Maroon. What is happening in the world? Why would the rebuilding Blackhawks go out and sign a proven winner? Don't they understand that if they are rebuilding they actually can't have proven winners because of the contradiction? How is the league even allowing this?

Once again proving you entirely missed the point.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
1721260311583.jpeg

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
they arent trading Marner
Because they're cowardly idiots, not because they shouldn't.

Marner isn't some massive piece anyways, he has nearly a decade of failure in Toronto.

They could try something different, but I guess not, why try something different when tik tok mitchy poo sells the jerseys like hot cakes, who cares about a cup?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

Marner isn't some massive piece anyways, he has nearly a decade of failure in Toronto.

They could try something different, but I guess not, why try something different when tik tok mitchy poo sells the jerseys like hot cakes, who cares about a cup?
MLSE likely still pulling the strings.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
nothing you wrote here has literally anything to do with what I said or your previous comment I was replying to.

You suggested that Marner's value to the Leafs is now only the potential cap space one can recapture from trading him (a ridiculous notion in itself, but I'll give it to you for the purpose of the discussion) and in the last sentence of the same paragraph you claim that Marner walking in free agency means we should just strip the team down and rebuild for 10 years.

What happened to his cap space being valuable and can be used to improve the team?

These two points directly contradict one another.
I didn't say they should. I'm predicting in 2 years if they continue to fail, they will have to. Teams under us have made tremendous strides. In 3 years this very old team will be toast. We had 8 glorious years and did squat. 10 years and the drop and draft begins. Mathews will walk and go to a contender if we keep not doing much. Who cares if Marner is here at 12 million? We have 2 years left or this thing implodes with no picks next year.They will go all in, damn the torpedoes. If it fails the next Gm cleans up mess.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

He has a full NMC

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
If…massive if… I could see Marner agreeing to two spots (3rd would have been Nashville), Vegas and Utah (shiny new City syndrome).

My trade ideas…

Marner
For
Roy + Kolesar + Theodore

Or

Marner
For
Crouse + McBain + Valimaki + Lamoureux

Just my two cents
Cheers

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If…massive if… I could see Marner agreeing to two spots (3rd would have been Nashville), Vegas and Utah (shiny new City syndrome).

My trade ideas…

Marner
For
Roy + Kolesar + Theodore

Or

Marner
For

Just my two cents
Cheers
I’d do both. But I don’t see the value in Valimaki, I’d change him for a different piece. If we hadn’t signed OEL then yeah.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

My trade ideas…

Marner
For
Roy + Kolesar + Theodore

Or

Marner
For

Just my two cents
Cheers
Utah GM loves his big, physical players. Lamoureux is not available. Don't see him trading Crouse and McBain for ice capades Marner.

Reactions: Schemp

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You just saw Nashville give Stamkos 8M per for 4 years, and he's inferior to what Marner is at this stage of their careers. Like not even close. Stamkos puts up points, yes, but he's not in the same class of player anymore.

Point of rebuilding is to get talent on the roster, and to become better. You can also do that via UFA. The market is simply not comparable to what the perceived worth of these players is to their own respective teams at this moment, or as an RFA.

Tavares, Panarin, Gaudreau... These top tier free agents simply get paid. Gaudreau probably would've gotten more from other teams, but he chose Columbus. If Draisaitl would actually hit free agency, there would be a team offering him 15M. That's a fact. Mikko Rantanen? Upwards of 13M. That's just how this stuff works.

And no, I'm not a Leafs fan. Quite the opposite really. Their own cap structure is frankly stupid, and a combination of MANY errors. But that's not really relevant to what their star players could get on the open market.
Refreshing. Its long been an HF tradition to always have the worst imaginable valuations. I'm sure some guys here are still thinking Laine and Eichel are better than Matthews.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

My trade ideas…

Marner
For
Roy + Kolesar + Theodore

Or

Marner
For

Just my two cents
Cheers
Obviously don't know about Utah to suggest that GMBA would even consider it. 1 good reason is $$$, tying up that much money on a wing for that long. Another is need, Marner is not a center!

You need to keep your 2 cents, bidenomics!

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
This guy does too much to just move for the sake of it..
-plays top PK
-quaterbacks top PP
-out there on last minute tight games
-gets 90+ points if healthy

Guys like this ain't easy to get, and you'd be stupid to throw away because of fan outrage(despite being well deserved).

The time to trade him was last year before his NMC. I think they'll probably wait till JT gets out of his contact and let him walk if he doesnt take a substantial cut. Unless worlds align where Marner wants a trade AND the value is good, youd be better off keeping him. If you're trading him just to trade; it could end up being one of those worst trades in franchise history.

I honestly don't think he's getting moved, I could be wrong, but it feels like they know what he offers is far more valuable than what he gets back.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
-plays top PK
-quaterbacks top PP

Guys like this ain't easy to get, and you'd be stupid to throw away because of fan outrage(despite being well deserved).

The time to trade him was last year before his NMC. I think they'll probably wait till JT gets out of his contact and let him walk if he doesnt take a substantial cut. Unless worlds align where Marner wants a trade AND the value is good, youd be better off keeping him. If you're trading him just to trade; it could end up being one of those worst trades in franchise history.

I honestly don't think he's getting moved, I could be wrong, but it feels like they know what he offers is far more valuable than what he gets back.
I dont think there is real pressure until it is closer to the trade deadline. Marner only becomes a problem when he may leave as a ufa for nothing imo. Im confident Brad will move him if at the deadline if he cannot extend him. Even if it is poor value.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Obviously don't know about Utah to suggest that GMBA would even consider it. 1 good reason is $$$, tying up that much money on a wing for that long. Another is need, Marner is not a center!

You need to keep your 2 cents, bidenomics!
Just when you think the Marner trade thread couldn’t get more asinine someone shoehorns a political take into it

Reactions: NyQuil and Deaner

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
-plays top PK
-quaterbacks top PP

Wasnt it openly acknowledged Toronto might have to lose a trade involving Marner because what he adds is less valuable than the capspace he occupies? Was that the team or was that the media speculating?

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
The way I see it Marner refuses to lift his NMC & play’s out the year.
Some reports claim Marner is looking for 12.5-13million AAV over 8 years. So next July Mitch hears crickets on this number…..then, still sitting at home in Dec., threatening to retire rather than take a cut in pay.

Stay tuned, “As the leafs stumble”.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dont think there is real pressure until it is closer to the trade deadline. Marner only becomes a problem when he may leave as a ufa for nothing imo. Im confident Brad will move him if at the deadline if he cannot extend him. Even if it is poor value.
That is extremely unlikely.
Why would Marner want to leave his teammates at the deadline?

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada

Yet, folks somehow think that McCrimmon would pick him up at a premium.

IMHO, the only way that McCrimmon signs Marner if McCrimmon knows that he can flip him to somebody else in exchange for a bigger bag of goodies than he paid, or it is part of some three-way deal where one or both of the other GMs get seriously fleeced.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Mitch Marner still has a full NMC

Reactions: John Mandalorian

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Wasnt it openly acknowledged Toronto might have to lose a trade involving Marner because what he adds is less valuable than the capspace he occupies? Was that the team or was that the media speculating?
Media, and shockingly, the Leafs have the most anti-Leafs media that write about them, and also in their broadcasts (like Simpson who refused to report to the Leafs if they drafted him 1st overall way way back ...Leafs went Clark instead, and now he does Leafs broadcasts and bashes them any chance he can).
Other than Joe Bowen most of the main guys that report on the Leafs are definitely not fans of the Leafs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
-plays top PK
-quaterbacks top PP

LOL, plays top PK and quarterbacks the pp but both suck in crunch time. So that’s worthless. Who cares about his 90 points? He has 11 goals total in his playoff career. LOL. That’s like barely over 1 goal per playoff season. He is one of the biggest reasons why this team can’t advance in the playoffs. So you can take his 90 points in the regular season and throw them out the window. Totally meaningless. So please tell me how valuable his PK and PP skills are when both suck for the team as a whole come the playoffs?

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
No need to trade Marner, now or later.

If he prices himself of the market, then treat it as an own-rental and walk him to free-agency. Worse things have happened.
That might make sense if the Leafs were serious contenders and thought they had a strong chance to win it all. They are not and they wont, so it is a waste of an asset.

Ad

Ad

Ad