Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Re-signed.

Like I said days after the season ended, expecting an organization that has coddled and cuddled this core from the very start to all of a sudden start thinking beyond that same core, is crazy. This summer's actions have proven that.

He will be extended. It will be at a deal that is friendly for Marner. They'll sell it as a win for the organization. The organization won't win.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Sure but you would not be giving yourself the option to move off him if they continue to make a quick playoff exits. You pretty much would be painting yourself into a corner and stuck with a core 3 that has virtually zero playoff success in a decade. Pure insanity.
Hey, I'm not saying that signing him to a long-term deal with a NMC is necessarily a good idea, just that it's pretty standard for players at his level to get full NMCs in their deals.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I don't think mgmt is going to work too hard on this one.

ECF - Marner is signed
R1 - Marner is walked

Hard to imagine otherwise with those results. Falling out in round 2 could be a bit tricky though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Re-signed.

Like I said days after the season ended, expecting an organization that has coddled and cuddled this core from the very start to all of a sudden start thinking beyond that same core, is crazy. This summer's actions have proven that.

He will be extended. It will be at a deal that is friendly for Marner. They'll sell it as a win for the organization. The organization won't win.
Hopefully the organization (Shanahan, Dubas, and Keefe) "that has coddled and cuddled this core from the very start" has been replaced by an organization (Pelley, Treliving, and Berube) that is smarter - admittedly a low bar. So far this summer's actions - not signing either Marner or Tavares - is a positive sign.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Hopefully the organization (Shanahan, Dubas, and Keefe) "that has coddled and cuddled this core from the very start" has been replaced by an organization (Pelley, Treliving, and Berube) that is smarter - admittedly a low bar. So far this summer's actions - not signing either Marner or Tavares - is a positive sign.

MLSE is happy that you've been appeased. Nothing has changed.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Wait for it.........

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I wouldn't hold my breath. Not yet, anyway.

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
There's something wrong with the city of Toronto. Fans can't seem to summon the energy to make any noise. It's just a library at leafs and jays games and it'll never change.

Reactions: rumman

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
There's something wrong with the city of Toronto. Fans can't seem to summon the energy to make any noise. It's just a library at leafs and jays games and it'll never change.

Truth.

I went to the leafs home opener against MTL last year (lower bowl). My wife and I were the only ones cheering. The people beside me couldn’t have been any less interested in the game.

Crazy time we live in. Corporations run the world.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Exactly.

We can see other positive signs coming soon too. We all know Marner can rack up points, provide solid D, QB a PP, and PK..in the regular season. What we need is for him to produce and deliver under pressure, such as the playoffs.

What if the Leafs actions create more pressure on Mitch than he has ever had before? Why not? What do we have to lose? This is not about insulting, disrespecting or humiliating Marner it is about making moves that are good for the team.ane expecting him to get in line and rise above the sulking or the media questions or the pressure to deliver.

(1) Do not sign him to an extension and only consider doing this if he delivers this year, especially in the playoffs.

(2) Do not give him an "A" this year. Matty has the C, Tavares has an A...Rielly should wear the other A every night, like he has the last few years. Let's not take that away from Mo just to keep Mitch happy. BTW, I have Tanev, McCabe and possibly Nylander ahead of Marner for the next A anyway. Be a leader without a letter.

(3) Do not staple him to Matthews. Domi works with Matthews and let's have him be a PPG player for under $4M. Let Marner drive a line, or share driving a line with Nylander. I would like to see Marner get Willy to 50 goals. Either Nylander or Holmberg centres that line and JT goes where he belongs as maybe the top offensive 3C in the league.

(4) Let Domi take Marner's spot on PP1. We should explore two units (and then a super unit once in a while). Let Marner drive PP2. This kind of shakeup is required because PP1 does not work on the playoffs for us. Work on it all year.w

(5) Maybe elevate some younger guys "profile wise" also. Let Knies, Woll and even Cowan get some of the plum press and profile. Let Marner feel less like he is revered as a god.

These can all feel like punishments, they can also feel like moves to make the change we know we need, to become a winner, to change the culture.

If he is not on board with these types of moves then that is an indicator and we let him walk, he does not perform under the pressure of these tweaks and moves, then that is an indicator and we let me know walk.

If he smiles, works hard, performs, puts team over personal stats and if this leads us to new places then we consider singing him after the playoffs a d before July 1

Reactions: William Johnson

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
MLSE is happy that you've been appeased. Nothing has changed.
I keep asking the posters who say "nothing has changed", despite the changes in defence, goaltending, coaching, and now leadership, to explain exactly what they would consider change.

I've mainly got back silence. Other than that, they want one or more of the five with NMCs traded, despite that being virtually impossible. I did have one person mention Shanahan, which I would like to see too.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Maybe they should try winning something more than every 30-50 years? I imagine that would help.

Mapleafan

Scarborough of course.
May 22, 2016
Canada
Is Treliving just going to wait on signing Marner like he did with Willy and have to pay 1+ M more to sign him? Learn, Brad.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Is Treliving just going to wait on signing Marner like he did with Willy and have to pay 1+ M more to sign him? Learn, Brad.
Marners reported ask already has any realistic inflation built in.

If he's pacing 160 points half way through the season fine, give him the extra 1M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad