Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Some Leaf fans just love torturing themselves. The core isn't going anywhere, that includes Marner and in all likelihood Tavares as well. MLSE has a good thing going with marketable stars and playoffs every year. They won't risk losing a trade (which is likely with full NMCs) or letting a star walk and failing to adequately replace him (sorry but Rantanen and Draisaitl aren't coming here).

Marner will get $11.5-12m x 8 and it will announced when he's on some crazy point streak. Tavares will come in at $4-6m on medium term. We're either going to eventually break through with this group or we won't. Time for major change has passed. I don't like it either, but I can see the writing on the wall.
This is the most likely outcome

I voted for the funny option on the poll because I try to find joy out of this team where possible

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think they’re going to re-sign him and keep selling jerseys and hope. If the young guys are good enough there’s no reason to believe they can’t win 2 rounds at least once in the next 4 years.

Reactions: Kazparov

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Some Leaf fans just love torturing themselves. The core isn't going anywhere, that includes Marner and in all likelihood Tavares as well. MLSE has a good thing going with marketable stars and playoffs every year. They won't risk losing a trade (which is likely with full NMCs) or letting a star walk and failing to adequately replace him (sorry but Rantanen and Draisaitl aren't coming here).

Marner will get $11.5-12m x 8 and it will announced when he's on some crazy point streak. Tavares will come in at $4-6m on medium term. We're either going to eventually break through with this group or we won't. Time for major change has passed. I don't like it either, but I can see the writing on the wall.
I agree with everything, but $$$ on an 8 year term. I think he’ll want a little more from the Leafs, especially if they win a round and are half way competitive in the 2nd.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I love your optimism

What happens next, hmmmmm let’s see. 82 games where we finish 3rd followed by 5-7 playogffs games where we crap out in the first round.
I have 7 years of evidence to back me up
Both can be true and is the most likely scenario.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think $12 million is the minimum.
I keep hearing that, but he can get 12 million, or close to it, in almost any market. I get he’s from there but why take the same amount when there are better places to live and play?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think they’re going to re-sign him and keep selling jerseys and hope. If the young guys are good enough there’s no reason to believe they can’t win 2 rounds at least once in the next 4 years.
Is that two rounds in a single year or two rounds over the four years? :sarcasm:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree with everything, but $$$ on an 8 year term. I think he’ll want a little more from the Leafs, especially if they win a round and are half way competitive in the 2nd.
I'm sure he'll want more than Nylander, even if neither he nor the team does any better.

I think our best hope is that some other team will be foolish enough to offer him $12M.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm sure he'll want more than Nylander, even if neither he nor the team does any better.

I think our best hope is that some other team will be foolish enough to offer him $12M.
He’ll get it somewhere. The Leafs can’t have him walk for nothing but cap space.

If the Rangers can win a couple of rounds with Panarin and Zibanejad, the Leafs should be able to with Marner and Nylander.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
He will have an A, start with Matthews, and be specifically put in position to put huge numbers up. It is imperative that his public reputation is repaired before the Leafs give him his massive overpayment. My prediction hasn't changed since the season ended.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think $12 million is the minimum.
I would use Nylander's cap hit percentage as the minimum...assuming it's higher than Marner's current cap %, if not, Marner can get a nice (yet undeserved) raise just by maintaining his current cap hit %. He'll then say how he didn't take a raise to keep the team competitive. I think his current cap hit % would take him to 12.4 on a 92.5 million salary cap.

Reactions: Evilhomer

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He will have an A, start with Matthews, and be specifically put in position to put huge numbers up. It is imperative that his public reputation is repaired before the Leafs give him his massive overpayment. My prediction hasn't changed since the season ended.
This dude knows MLSE better than anyone else on this board.

Reactions: Kazparov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad