Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I've said it before, and I'll say it again—watching the Marner interview after Matthews was introduced as captain was an example how Marner is so focused on himself. Every question the media asked about Matthews, and Marner talks "us" instead of focusing on Matthews. Marner, this event isn't about you; it's Matthews' moment to shine.

Marner also mentions how Johnny taught "them" that the work doesn’t stop on the ice. While Matthews has grown significantly—both physically and as a leader—Marner seems to be heading in the opposite direction. He may actually be less fit than he was in his early years, clearly not putting in the offseason work, and his sense of entitlement towards the media has grown. His game has become less physical, too. So, lumping himself into a response about Matthews isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement, especially given the criticism Marner's been facing.

Personally, I dont think Marner does these things intentionally, its just what hes been taught and grown accustomed to.
Good review...exactly my thoughts. Me, me, me me.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Marner seems really angry. I wont be shocked if he spends half the year injured (even though he's a ufa soon) .
Yeah that bastard crashed Matthews captaincy press conference and I heard he ripped the Matthews jerseys off Tavares kids and forced them to wear 16 with an A!!

Reactions: ACC1224

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah that bastard crashed Matthews captaincy press conference and I heard he ripped the Matthews jerseys off Tavares kids and forced them to wear 16 with an A!!
Yeah, and invited them to Muskoka to his holf tourney, without AM or WN.

• Haha
Reactions: bax

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Good review...exactly my thoughts. Me, me, me me.

Im just done hearing Marner talk about he and Matthews like they are a duo. This is Matthews team, no matter how hard Marner tries to worm his way into every Matthews achievement.

recall Marner was asked this question postgame after Matthews 50th goal, Marner didnt get a primary assist on the goal.

Question: what was that moment like, Auston getting to 50, in his hometown and being part of that?

"Yea it was great, i mean I think you saw it, "Im" just trying to give it to him, the first 3 or 4 shifts we had together...so ill probably get yelled at for not shooting a couple of those but uh..."

Talk about Matthews captaincy:

Question: as a teammate what have you seen the most about Matthews evolution iver rhe last several years:

i mean, i think just what John said, the commitment to his craft, i mean i know everyone sees it game time wise and practice wise but the stuff he does off the ice, the stuff he does before practice, just the commitment to his game.. and i think in alot of ways, Johnny has helped "us" grow in those ways, johnny...like Auston said, is a top not pro, who showed "us" regardless of who you are the work never stops..."

He turned a question about how Matthews grew to be the Captain...to complimenting himself for the very same growth lol.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Im just done hearing Marner talk about he and Matthews like they are a duo. This is Matthews team, no matter how hard Marner tries to worm his way into every Matthews achievement.

recall Marner was asked this question postgame after Matthews 50th goal, Marner didnt get a primary assist on the goal.

Question: what was that moment like, Auston getting to 50, in his hometown and being part of that?

"Yea it was great, i mean I think you saw it, "Im" just trying to give it to him, the first 3 or 4 shifts we had together...so ill probably get yelled at for not shooting a couple of those but uh..."

Talk about Matthews captaincy:

Question: as a teammate what have you seen the most about Matthews evolution iver rhe last several years:

i mean, i think just what John said, the commitment to his craft, i mean i know everyone sees it game time wise and practice wise but the stuff he does off the ice, the stuff he does before practice, just the commitment to his game.. and i think in alot of ways, Johnny has helped "us" grow in those ways, johnny...like Auston said, is a top not pro, who showed "us" regardless of who you are the work never stops..."

He turned a question about how Matthews grew to be the Captain...to complimenting himself for the very same growth lol.

He is so self centred and delusional it’s crazy

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
It is curious that Columbus retained nothing in the Laine deal.
What could they spend their money on...?

Probably just wishful thinking but...

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That he hasn't been traded by now almost certainly means he's going to start the season with the team. They're not going to take away his A (nor should they, and I want his ass gone), and they're absolutely not going to trade him at the deadline. The poll doesn't allow for a second choice, which is necessary considering he needs to be re-signed or will walk. I think it's very likely that he'll extend on a 12m deal, I'll hold out hope that he walks.

The extension talks during the year have the potential to be an absolute circus, which could shake things up, but an actual shakeup would require someone involved to have some guts, which we have seen no evidence of. Even if he goes on some massive skid in February, everyone will just preach patience and then when he smashes out 15 points in a nine game streak in March, they'll sign him to the big bucks. He'll have himself to thank in May when we're eliminated and the screaming really starts. If anyone thinks the Marner hating this summer was crazy, just wait until he's extended and has another year or two of the same results.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I think the 2 most likely outcomes are the 2 least favorable.

1.) he walks for nothing (other than cap space) as an UFA when the season is over

2.) he signs a big dollar/long term extension

I think many on this forum want him to get traded for at least a prospect/high draft pick AND a very good NHL current player. That MAY happen, but I think it is much less likely than the first 2 above.

If I'm honest with myself, him signing and staying long term (5 years or more) isn't awful. They would remain a top 5-10 team in the regular season for the next few seasons, and once they get into the playoffs is a lottery ticket.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think the 2 most likely outcomes are the 2 least favorable.

1.) he walks for nothing (other than cap space) as an UFA when the season is over

2.) he signs a big dollar/long term extension

I think many on this forum want him to get traded for at least a prospect/high draft pick AND a very good NHL current player. That MAY happen, but I think it is much less likely than the first 2 above.

If I'm honest with myself, him signing and staying long term (5 years or more) isn't awful. They would remain a top 5-10 team in the regular season for the next few seasons, and once they get into the playoffs is a lottery ticket.
If I had to chose, let him walk for nothing and just chalk it up to damage repair from Shanny and Dubas’s mishandling of the team.
I’m guessing we will be a few more years to repair all the damage but just resigning him and running it back yet again is pure incompetence and insanity

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think the way he was featured in the Blueprint means he’s coming back. Re-signing.
I dont think he is resigned before seeing his final playoff performance....unless its a limited ntc.

Last edited:

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
If we were gonna trade him (which I hoped we would but expected mm to not allow it) it would have been done by now.

Were gonna sign him long term, overpayment with full nmc. Then we're gonna resign Tavares.

#runitbackbetter

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If we were gonna trade him (which I hoped we would but expected mm to not allow it) it would have been done by now.

Were gonna sign him long term, overpayment with full nmc. Then we're gonna resign Tavares.
Correct and correct.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I feel the spirit of the joker entering into my system at the thought of Marner resigning. Not sure if it's Heath Ledger, Joakim Phoneix or maybe even Jared Leto

Reactions: LeafGrief

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I dont think he is resigned before seeing his final playoff performance....unless its a limited ntc.
That would be the intelligent thing to do but these are the Leafs who have learned as much off the ice as they have on the ice. They are a joke, top down when it comes to winning on the ice. #ProvenLoserFranchise who's only saving grace is a loyal fanbase that deserves better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"We Can and We Will" .. The 10 year failed "Shanaplan" is coming to an end,

The Marner contract and the Shanahan contracts expiry at the same time next summer.

The core 4 needs change, Matthews and Nylander have already signed on with Tavares handing over the C, and now talks of his extension have begun.

Solve for change. Core 4 Change = ?

Reactions: rumman and Moonman

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If he does, this organization hasn't learned a thing and is dumber than a bag of rocks.
I don't think it will say that at all. I think all it will say is that every player at his level gets a full NMC.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think it will say that at all. I think all it will say is that every player at his level gets a full NMC.
Sure but you would not be giving yourself the option to move off him if they continue to make a quick playoff exits. You pretty much would be painting yourself into a corner and stuck with a core 3 that has virtually zero playoff success in a decade. Pure insanity.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad