Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think he will treat us to at least one more of these loserlights before sailing off into the sunset as a UFA.

Shocking that a player making 11 million, with an A, in a playoff game (after 7 years of let downs), down 1-0 in the series...literally gives up on a puck this close to him (see red line) and the bruins easily clear. Speaks volumes about where his heart is and how much "he cares" about winning.

1724483225253.png

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Ideally he is still traded but that’s doubtful. I can see them looking to re-sign hopefully at Nylanders cap hit and nothing more.

Curious to see if he’s stripped from his A or if he and JT rotate like him and Matthews did the past couple seasons.

I would have Matthews with the C and Tavares and Rielly with the A’s.

Does anyone know if you’re allowed to have 3 assistant captains even with a captain on the team?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ideally he is still traded but that’s doubtful. I can see them looking to re-sign hopefully at Nylanders cap hit and nothing more.

Curious to see if he’s stripped from his A or if he and JT rotate like him and Matthews did the past couple seasons.

I would have Matthews with the C and Tavares and Rielly with the A’s.

Does anyone know if you’re allowed to have 3 assistant captains even with a captain on the team?

He’s gonna be rotating with someone. We had 3 A’s last year with two rotating.

Reactions: TMLAM34

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Let's see what happens, but someone has to have less of a letter than last year. Matthews went from half an A to a full C.

It sounds like they already said JT is getting a full A and if that is the case then are we taking half a letter away from Rielly?

I think Marner doesn't have an A this year. New coach and an opportunity to make change.

Reactions: OddyOh

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There's something wrong with the city of Toronto. Fans can't seem to summon the energy to make any noise. It's just a library at leafs and jays games and it'll never change.
Baseball doesn’t need to be loud and should be a little more casual and relaxed. The ball park leaves a lot to be desired so that factors into the library feel.

The Hockey game day atmosphere is a little weird from what we see on TV, compared to the better markets. Even TTOE appears better.

Granted the Leafs have played boring hockey for the past 5 years and that factors into the fans excitement levels. Hopefully it’ll be better under Berube?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe they should try winning something more than every 30-50 years? I imagine that would help.
Does that really matter with regular season baseball? During the playoffs the fans were a little too disruptive, from what we’ve heard.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Let's see what happens, but someone has to have less of a letter than last year. Matthews went from half an A to a full C.

It sounds like they already said JT is getting a full A and if that is the case then are we taking half a letter away from Rielly?

I think Marner doesn't have an A this year. New coach and an opportunity to make change.
Lol no. They're gonna roll with 3 A's. This is a participation trophy organization that makes damn sure they don't hurt anyone's feelings.

Reactions: Racer88

Mapleafan

Scarborough of course.
May 22, 2016
Canada
Are we sure we want to move on from Marner? One bad playoff doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, he led us in playoff scoring the year before. It’s very hard to acquire players as good as him. I’m probably ok moving him for a guy who would be better in the playoffs and make us a better team (like a Tkachuk, for example, when he was available), but could we make a trade like that?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Lol no. They're gonna roll with 3 A's. This is a participation trophy organization that makes damn sure they don't hurt anyone's feelings.
You don't think taking away half of Rielly's letter wouldn't hurt his feelings, making JT play without a letter won't hurt his?

The rules are one C and two A's. How are they doing three then? You made a comment and took some sort of shot at the team, but didn't offer a solution, although you did LOL at mine. What do you have?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You don't think taking away half of Rielly's letter wouldn't hurt his feelings, making JT play without a letter won't hurt his?

The rules are one C and two A's. How are they doing three then? You made a comment and took some sort of shot at the team, but didn't offer a solution, although you did LOL at mine. What do you have?
What do you mean?

It's gonna be the same system as last year. They're just gonna make one of the A's rotate with Marner for road/home games. Obvious as hell.

I wouldn't be shocked if part of Marner's negotiation for his next contract is he has to be co-captain with Matthews just like he was with Dvorak in juniors.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's gonna be the same system as last year. They're just gonna make one of the A's rotate with Marner for road/home games. Obvious as hell.
I would be surprised if it is anything other than this.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
They will just rotate home and road.
Ok.

Can you be more specific with the plan? Matthews will wear th C, 82 games (41H and 41A)

How many games will Rielly and Tavares wear letters? If it is not 82 then it will be less than previous years. Are they both getting letter demoted or just one of them?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Ok.

Can you be more specific with the plan? Matthews will wear th C, 82 games (41H and 41A)

How many games will Rielly and Tavares wear letters? If it is not 82 then it will be less than previous years. Are they both getting letter demoted or just one of them?
This seems like a big nothing to me. They just stripped a guy of the captaincy. I don't think it's a big deal if they also take away his A every few games. Some games Marner will wear one, some games Tavares will, and some games Rielly will.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This seems like a big nothing to me. They just stripped a guy of the captaincy. I don't think it's a big deal if they also take away his A every few games. Some games Marner will wear one, some games Tavares will, and some games Rielly will.

I am not saying it is a big deal, which is why I take it away from Marner.

You are suggesting what? Some sort of 54 games each rotation? No home/away structure? I would rather reward the leaders with letters. I think Marner is the least of he, Tavares and Rielly in this regard.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Curious. Do other teams also rotate their letters or do they stay on the same people for the entirety of the season?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Are we sure we want to move on from Marner? One bad playoff doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, he led us in playoff scoring the year before. It’s very hard to acquire players as good as him. I’m probably ok moving him for a guy who would be better in the playoffs and make us a better team (like a Tkachuk, for example, when he was available), but could we make a trade like that?
1 wouldn’t be a problem, but 7 seems like a trend.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am not saying it is a big deal, which is why I take it away from Marner.

You are suggesting what? Some sort of 54 games each rotation? No home/away structure? I would rather reward the leaders with letters. I think Marner is the least of he, Tavares and Rielly in this regard.
If you’re organized you pick two alternate captains and go with it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you’re organized you pick two alternate captains and go with it.
At the Matthews captaincy event BT said they would discuss the alternates at a later date.

Treliving also confirmed that Tavares would be wearing a "A" instead of his "C" now.

Morgan Rielly has been wearing his letter A full time since 2016-17.

Rielly and Marner both attended the event. If there was going to be no change other than JT and AM swapping letters, then wouldn't they simply have stated that at that point?

However Auston getting a "C" and Marner (the player they ideally would like to trade to break up the core 4) might also be losing his "A" , that would have been controversial with more discussion of Marner losing his "A" than Matthews being named captain. Pushing the naming of assistants down the road (if they're changing) keeps direct focus only on Matthews and Tavares here.

Who knows perhaps management is going to allow Matthews to pick his assistants and that might all depend on who is staying in regards to JT and MM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad