Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I hope Slaf learns a thing or two from Laine in terms of improving his shot. You can see on this replay that even though both players are shooting off their back foot, Laine is able to put much more torque on his shot.
I wouldn't count on it. Some guys just have it. You may be able to watch them all day but you're never going to able to shoot like them. Ovi, Laine, Matthews, even Bedard. You can use similar techniques but some guys just have a feel for ripping the puck. It's why they're the best.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I wouldn't count on it. Some guys just have it. You may be able to watch them all day but you're never going to able to shoot like them. Ovi, Laine, Matthews, even Bedard. You can use similar techniques but some guys just have a feel for ripping the puck. It's why they're the best.
I don't expect him to join the elite of the elite in the league. There is a lot more that goes into being a good shooter than generating torque but that's one thing he should be able to improve on, especially for a guy his size.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just hope it doesn't reappear this season.
It won't there is just way too much awareness within the organization to let anything get close to festering like that.
Laine will buy into and row alongside his team mates of that I have no doubt.
He also now has the tools to release any internal pressure building up on his own.
The press conference Hughes gave was very detailed in what we will do to help him.
Laine will get more appreciation from doing the little things well because we will praise him for that kind of mind set.
We are not changing "Our Game" we are letting Laine know it can be very enjoyable playing it.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
A good episode with David St. Louis mainly on Laine:

Thanks for this!

I enjoyed David's break down and it will be interesting to see how it fits. Can Marty get him (Laine) to see things differently or does he try to give him the best tools possible to help him succeed?

I could see him gel-ling with Suzuki the best and maybe throw Slaf on the other wing to create some space and win some loose pucks. That would leave Cole, Dach and Newhook (?) on the second line.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Boooooo , hope Matheson doesn't man the point all season
It's going as expected.
Hutson will get the reins if the PP1 falls flat for any length of time and or Matheson gets injured.
I mean there were occasions last season when our second wave executed better than our first wave.
It wasn't acceptable given the drop off in talent, Will we accept it this season I doubt it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Thanks for this!

I enjoyed David's break down and it will be interesting to see how it fits. Can Marty get him (Laine) to see things differently or does he try to give him the best tools possible to help him succeed?

I could see him gel-ling with Suzuki the best and maybe throw Slaf on the other wing to create some space and win some loose pucks. That would leave Cole, Dach and Newhook (?) on the second line.

Yes, it will interesting to see where the chemistry is and how long it will take MSL to find it. If Laine isn't the best at winning board battles, Newhook isn't either. So if they start with Slaf-Suzuki-cc, Newhook might not be the best with Dach and Laine. My top choices would be Dvorak and the Armia, for their board play and other aspects.

But yeah, at some point it would be nice to see how Laine and Suzuki work. Next season, if Laine-Suzuki-Slaf became a thing, that would leave Caufield-Dach-Demidov, which could also be great.

Two combos I've thought of for this year if Laine gets a shot with Susuzuki:

Caufield - Suzuki - Laine
Newhook - Dach - Slaf

Laine - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvorak
Roy - Newhook - Armia

(St. Louis says although Laine isn't a board battler type of power forward, he does have a very strong playmaking aspect to his game. So maybe he can work on the same line with Caufield. I do like Slaf with Nick, but I also liked Slaf with Dach last year).

Anyways looking forward to seeing the combos MSL tries in camp...

Reactions: malcb33

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lane will need time. Math will be the PP guy back there and he will never pass to the right guy

Lane was already dangerous in the 2 games he played against Detroit.

I wouldn't be surprised in Hutson is already a better option than Matheson. But it might take MSL some time to see it.At least Matheson was getting better at finding Slaf as the year went on. And I don't think he'll have a problem finding Laine.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Lane was already dangerous in the 2 games he played against Detroit.

I wouldn't be surprised in Hutson is already a better option than Matheson. But it might take MSL some time to see it.At least Matheson was getting better at finding Slaf as the year went on. And I don't think he'll have a problem finding Laine.
I sure hope so. but he is young. MSL may ease him in I bet

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Thanks for this!

I see him with Suzuki Slaf as well.
I will restate what I've been saying for two years now. No more dicking around at camp with our top guys.
There isn't a prospect ready for a role on the top six. Play Roy Newhook maybe even Armia with these guys and try various combos.
Please let the Mesars and Farrells of the world work with the AHL or bottom 6 centers. How Laine fits in and with whom is far more important.

Reactions: malcb33

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Figured they would try this first yeah

Wonder how they configure it

There was just no way you don't have Laine PP1

Looks like Dach-Newhook-Roy-Hutson-someone, probably Gallagher, will be PP2,

Not bad
Best 2nd unit PP we've had in forever and it still has cement hands Gallagher on it lol

Reactions: Redux91

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I hope Slaf learns a thing or two from Laine in terms of improving his shot. You can see on this replay that even though both players are shooting off their back foot, Laine is able to put much more torque on his shot.

Slaf can easily put 30-35 goals with his great arsenal of shot. If Laine help him, that will be perfect. I think Slaf need to know when to shoot, that's the only thing he need to improve, but he have the power in his shot. For sure.

I'm very happy to have Laine to help youngstars.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Slaf can easily put 30-35 goals with his great arsenal of shot. If Laine help him, that will be perfect. I think Slaf need to know when to shoot, that's the only thing he need to improve, but he have the power in his shot. For sure.

I'm very happy to have Laine to help youngstars.
SO agree this is awesome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad