Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion XX - The Dog Days of August V3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Matthews is the Leafs #1 C and franchise player.

ohhh and....most 5v5 goals in the NHL since he was drafted all while playing less games and with **** linemates.

ECqbvh4W4AEcnjG

That's pretty sexy. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Spend 10 mil elsewhere and trade the picks for the top rental 4 years in a row and/or offersheet Tkachuk. Now what?

Now what is that Marner is better value than someone for 10 million that you dont even know is what. Thats so randon and backwards I don’t want to entertain where this is going.

The four firsts could be bottom of the first round. 23-24-25-26th?... I don’t want them. They are guaranteeing nothing even close to the talent we know we have. Well i know we have. Not thinking you know at all what we have.

I’ll give you a take, he is a superstar at 22 and you want to trade him for bottom of the first round picks. Does not make sense to me. I don’t give a rats arse what they have to pay him actually. My only concern is that they sign him!

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Now what is that Marner is better value than someone for 10 million that you dont even know is what. Thats so randon and backwards I don’t want to entertain where this is going.

The four firsts could be bottom of the first round. 23-24-25-26th?... I don’t want them. They are guaranteeing nothing even close to the talent we know we have. Well i know we have. Not thinking you know at all what we have.

I’ll give you a take, he is a superstar at 22 and you want to trade him for bottom of the first round picks. Does not make sense to me.

I'm not trading anyone, I'm saying he's not worth anywhere close to 12 million dollars and I'd rather have financial flexibility + picks instead of locking into that contract. No one is saying you have to draft with the picks, they're assets for the deadline to bring in whatever the team needs down the stretch.

If he wants a reasonable contract, great. If he refuses to sign a reasonable contract, he can go sign an offersheet or lose 9-10 million dollars.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm not trading anyone, I'm saying he's not worth anywhere close to 12 million dollars and I'd rather have financial flexibility + picks instead of locking into that contract. No one is saying you have to draft with the picks, they're assets for the deadline to bring in whatever the team needs down the stretch.

If he wants a reasonable contract, great. If he refuses to sign a reasonable contract, he can go sign an offersheet or lose 9-10 million dollars.

Ok i will say this. He is our best player. A all situations special teams guy that does it all for his team. He is worth 11 million for his trouble because he is the best player on the team. It cant be argued that he is not.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
My point is how much more then aho is marner worth
Worth...is a moving target...Marner is 'worth' what any team will pay him,just like any other player. The opinion of others is based on comparisons,which are rarely an 'apples to apples' situation.

Aho,looks to be a 'team friendly' deal (nice signing bonus though).It is curious how he is the only RFA to sign,so far! He also signed an offer sheet,suggesting that he wanted out of Carolina (maybe). If Aho is to be used as a benchmark for what this years crop of RFA's are 'worth',then It looks like there isn't much agreement among his peers as none are signed.

I care not what the the final number is for Marner. Logic says the Leafs value his ability and can only pay him what they can afford. So,whatever that amount, it will be what he is 'worth'...to Toronto.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm perfectly fine giving Marner 9x5

Marner is worth more than anyone else to you. He scored 94 pts in his contract year.

Goals. ELC performance don’t matter. Just points in the contract year. So Marner has to be the top RFA contract this year.

Right? Be consistent

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mathews would have got part ownership of Arizona thars the biggest difference
Wake up folks

That organization bleeds money.

That’s a negative thing.

MLSE could give Matthews a 0.5% ownership stake and he, as well as his great great grandkids would be set for life

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I don't understand why it seems to be more or less accepted that the Leafs will/should have to pay a premium to keep its star players (and in this case it's local, homegrown star player).

We are the Leafs for crying out loud! That means something to me. Why doesn't that seem to mean more to Marner?

The talking heads are acting like $9.5 million over 3 years is a reasonable compromise to this impasse? And you know it will come front-loaded and lockout-proof, laden with juicy signing bonuses that other teams can't match. Chris Johnston says comparables aren't relevant in this situation--for reasons unknown.

Kucherov re-signs with Tampa on the verge of UFA for max term at $9.5million per year. Kucherov...
A) is a better, more accomplished player than Marner
B) is also a winger
C) signed almost entirely UFA years

But we should be happy paying RFA Marner the same coin? For only RFA years and minimal commitment or sacrifice from him? Why, because playing for the Leafs is such a drag?

If Marner truly feels that making "Auston Matthews money" is more important than signing a reasonable contract that will allow him to continue playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs, I can honestly say he's not a guy I want on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad