Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVI (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Matthews is already happy with his sweat over priced deal so your point is moot.

I know he is. Just pointing out you can't assume 1 player will be hurt/injury prone in 5 years when anyone could be and the only reason he's been having back issues the past 2 seasons apparently is because of the screws in his leg from a 2014 surgery according to reports.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kane had better numbers than Marner during a period where scoring was lower league wide than it was today.

10.5 M in 2015 Kane?

.94 Kane and .93 Marner.... yeah that’s pretty close.

Kane/Eichel plus inflation.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
35qd93.jpg

Reactions: CDN24

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know he is. Just pointing out you can't assume 1 player will be hurt/injury prone in 5 years when anyone could be and the only reason he's been having back issues the past 2 seasons apparently is because of the screws in his leg from a 2014 surgery according to reports.
I just saying the Leafs should avoid burning bridges with Marner. If an extra $500K makes him happy, sign the cheque.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Assuming they too have .93 PPG playmakers in their roster.
So our goal scorers are paid based on their goals per game in relation to comparables, while points are ignored.

And our play makers are paid based on their points per game in relation to comparables, while goals are ignored.

No wonder this team is in cap hell.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Aho’s elc numbers were better than Eichel... and he even played the same position last year.

How come Aho wasn’t “Eichel contract plus inflation”?
Because he didn't play with TO or he would have gotten what Marner was offered 10.5X8.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

You don't honestly believe this, do you?

Wasn't it his shoulder that was the issue this season, anyways?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh, so you agree that Rantanen and Marner should make VERY similar money/term?

Let's see how Dubas (lol) does in that contract comparison.

I said he was probably the closest comparable in this offseason and both would use Eichel and Kane as their comps.

Marner should get a little more. Based on his production and the fact that Colorado has lower state taxes

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So our goal scorers are paid based on their goals per game in relation to comparables, while points are ignored.

And our play makers are paid based on their points per game in relation to comparables, while goals are ignored.

No wonder this team is in cap hell.

Don’t know who is saying paying for goals is the way to go.

.93 PPG playmaker that’s what we are trying to buy. And they are expensive.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I said he was probably the closest comparable in this offseason and both would use Eichel and Kane as their comps.

Marner should get a little more. Based on his production and the fact that Colorado has lower state taxes
Ahhh... so the very second I bring up someone with pretty much the same ppg (and much higher gpg), there's now "all of a sudden" more to the story than just ppg.

Imagine that...

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The way the Matthews apologists praise him, he better be "McDavid like" this year because the rest of us are tired of the excuses. In the Spring of 2020, we better hear :

"And the nominees for the Hart Trophy are :

Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Auston Matthews"

because he has his winger, he has his money, and he's healthy. If you want to be paid like a Top 3 player in the League, Auston, and your fans are going to praise you like you're a Top 3 player, you better be one.

Reactions: Lauro

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
With the Bura signing at 3.25 for 1 year (25 points), Marner’s ask is now back up to 12.4~ on a 1 year deal.

Reactions: MyBudJT

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Kane with a **** ton more PP time in there, because the Blackhawks had tons of PPs. Also Kane signed his contract in Dec so he didn’t play his full 3rd year. Marner produced substantially more than Kane, like another tier. And no Kane did not win a cup before his second contract signing.

Nylander and Kane had pretty much identical production in their careers before signing their second contracts. That’s how much PP time Kane had.

true, but you can't really fault Kane because his 1st 3 seasons in the league he got 72 penalties drawn to Marners 43.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
10.5 M in 2015 Kane?

.94 Kane and .93 Marner.... yeah that’s pretty close.

Kane/Eichel plus inflation.

No, his post ELC contract. F

Rfa Marner has zero basis getting what Kane did in 2015, a deal he got after multiple cup wins and was entirely ufa years.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
I just saying the Leafs should avoid burning bridges with Marner. If an extra $500K makes him happy, sign the cheque.
Yea 500K here, 1M there, two million somewhere else, and no way to sign decent support players. Not sure why people don't understand; overpaying players means less to sign other players. The cap is the same for every team. Cap space is more important then overpaid players (the reason teams don't give out Offer sheets and assets). Does anyone remember what Marleau cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad