Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVI (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hindsight is 20/20. Bruins added at the TDL, did not subtract and went to the finals. They now lost Acciari and Johanson. Can you imaging Leaf nation subtracting at the TDL when they are comfortably in a playoff spot ?

It's like the people who were like, oh we shoulda traded JVR instead of letting him walk for nothing. We didn't. We rented him to ourselves and then got all his cap space (unfortunately Lou had already commited it to Marleau, but that's besides the point).

But the bigger thing being. We were 105 point team. Best Maple Leafs record. And people were expecting we were gonna trade a 36 goal scorer? We might need one of those in the playoffs lol

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Jared Clinton of The Hockey News: It’s all about term and money for the Vancouver Canucks and Brock Boeser. The intriguing part is the cap comparables that Boeser draws himself to — Johnny Gaudreau. Gaudreau, similar production, received a deal with an AAV of $7.5 million. That may be the range Vancouver looks for in a six, maybe seven-year pact.

Brock Boeser scores at a rate of 0.42 goals per game and 0.85 points per contest. Only 13 other players have done that in this timeframe. An expected range of dollars is anywhere from $6.5 to $8.25 million — it all depends on the term.

Just to put some perspective on things..........

Marner .27 goals per gam and .92 pts per game.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's like the people who were like, oh we shoulda traded JVR instead of letting him walk for nothing. We didn't. We rented him to ourselves and then got all his cap space (unfortunately Lou had already commited it to Marleau, but that's besides the point).

But the bigger thing being. We were 105 point team. Best Maple Leafs record. And people were expecting we were gonna trade a 36 goal scorer? We might need one of those in the playoffs lol

Exactly. Next year could be our year. Do you trade Muzz and Barrie at the TDL and replace them with Sandin and Lily ? Yeah I can see the Leafs doing that.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hindsight is 20/20. Bruins added at the TDL, did not subtract and went to the finals. They now lost Acciari and Johanson. Can you imaging Leaf nation subtracting at the TDL when they are comfortably in a playoff spot ?
yes, I would encourage them to do that when it better lines up with the team goals. Keep in mind that the Leafs were still on their way out of a rebuild in the JVR/Bozak era too, JVR should have been dealt with 2-3 years left on his contract because he was worth a ton at that point.

and you're highlighting the exact problem, the contention for managing assets is how it looks, not its actual effect

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jared Clinton of The Hockey News: It’s all about term and money for the Vancouver Canucks and Brock Boeser. The intriguing part is the cap comparables that Boeser draws himself to — Johnny Gaudreau. Gaudreau, similar production, received a deal with an AAV of $7.5 million. That may be the range Vancouver looks for in a six, maybe seven-year pact.

Brock Boeser scores at a rate of 0.42 goals per game and 0.85 points per contest. Only 13 other players have done that in this timeframe. An expected range of dollars is anywhere from $6.5 to $8.25 million — it all depends on the term.

Yeah but Boeser was playing with the next Gretzky. Marner was playing with and propped up a declining JT . :sarcasm:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I see absolutely zero difference between this Larry Tan. team and JFJ teams other than we had a good pool of high picks. The overpays are going out, the old guys are still being signed (Marleau). The drama still swirls the city and they don't proceed past the 1st round if they make it.

Its a new cast on the same set providing the same show. This version is extremely soft though.

I'm sure you are aware Lou signed Marleau, not Dubas? So to reiterate, what has happened with previous management teams has little to no baring on what happens with the current one. Dubas and co. will either succeed or fail based on their own merits.

What you feel is your reality. Not necessarily reality. Make sure you understand the difference.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
yes, I would encourage them to do that when it better lines up with the team goals. Keep in mind that the Leafs were still on their way out of a rebuild in the JVR/Bozak era too, JVR should have been dealt with 2-3 years left on his contract because he was worth a ton at that point.

and you're highlighting the exact problem, the contention for managing assets is how it looks, not its actual effect

I buy some of your argument but most contending teams/GMs refuse to do that. The good thing until this year was Leafs had money to recoup assets for free on July 1st.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
The team who gets him won't be satisfied with a 3 year deal or something like that though.

Toronto is really hoping he is signed to an offer sheet. They are not happy with how negotiations have gone and the demands coming from the Marner camp. From what I've been told, the Marner camp has been beyond unreasonable. I know Toronto has held lighter trade discussions with two teams and I've been told things got a little more serious with one of the teams which from my understanding is Columbus

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I am not confused about anything. It's a negotiation. I don't think neither the Marner side nor the management lost any sleep o ver this, but the fans are ready to ship the player the were in love with a few months ago, because of what? An imaginary line where they think some value lies. Pretty pathetic.
It’s a good thing you’re there to tell leaf fans for their supposed to feel.

Greed and selfishness rubs some fans the wrong way. Others make lame excuses for it.

If the Marner camp acted like Point, pretty much nobody would be critical of him.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Toronto is really hoping he is signed to an offer sheet. They are not happy with how negotiations have gone and the demands coming from the Marner camp. From what I've been told, the Marner camp has been beyond unreasonable. I know Toronto has held lighter trade discussions with two teams and I've been told things got a little more serious with one of the teams which from my understanding is Columbus

Told by who?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

You do know that those starts are just showing his U21 and U22 seasons, right?

Marner's U21 and U22 seasons:

0.3 goals, and 1 point / game

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I buy some of your argument but most contending teams/GMs refuse to do that. The good thing until this year was Leafs had money to recoup assets for free on July 1st.
we will start to feel the effects of not getting futures back as we get along in the next few years. We're nearing the bottom of the barrel in terms of our high-caliber ELC roster additions, so unless Dubas does a very good job in the later rounds we'll start to have guys on the roster who are playing above their abilities. Again, the way to win is to be a top 10 team for a very long time (Pittsburgh) not by taking a big swing for one year (Columbus).

that money to recoup free assets will also not be a luxury we'll have going forward

Reactions: ToneDog and thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
True but in hockey you need many depth pieces and Jake was just one of many. Dump him and play Rosen or Marincin ?? As we saw this year, the NHL playoffs are usually a toss up and anything can happen. If teams think they can win, they will add not subtract. With a bit more luck (and probably another solid dman), it could have been the Leafs vs the Blues in the SCF.

Why does it have to be so simplistic always? Why not dump him and add a 1st the return you get for him and get an asset with term? Tone I am shocked at that comment from you, wasn't expecting it. You know assets can be combined and traded, it's a scorcher out there so you're forgiven.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Point is also not signed, just an FYI. Probably also because "he is too greedy"
Point came right out and said he wouldn't be visiting other teams about offer sheets, was still negotiating in good faith, and was confident they'd come to a compromise.

It's not negotiating in and of itself that is bothering leaf fans about the Marner situation. It's the way his camp is negotiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad