Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Training camp looms

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Marner is better than JT. Considerably better moving forward. He is our 2nd best player (if Matthews stays healthy and finds chemistry with Nylander again). Just b/c AM is better than MM doesnt mean we gotta tear down Marner. Marner was trending towards being an elite player since 2018 when he placed for 90 points in a 40ish game sample with kadri and Marleau.

Man the overrating of Marner is something else

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
It's a huge over-payment. This just shows how effective Ferris has been this summer, even though all of his tactics are so transparent.

The best winger in the world starts a $9.5x8 contract this year, with only about 60% in signing bonuses. The hard cap on any Marner deal should have been $9.5x8 with more signing bonus.

It is a rather large overpayment. Keep in mind the 9.5M is tax free also. Meaning probably 11M or more to the rest of the league. The bonus structure makes it even more lucrative...

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
A winger no where near the best in the world starts at 11.6 x 7 this year. A winger even farther down the list starts at 9x8.

All UFA years. UFAs cost more because they can pick their destination.

That's why Marner hasn't seen an offer sheet: because you have to give up assets and give in to his ridiculous demands.

Reactions: kb

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I dont know how people are still defending marner IF the reports are true.

The contract offers that he rejected. His asking price. His attack on matthews contract the day he signs it. This whole we “cant name captain” until marner is signed so we dont hurt his feelings.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Also...re: Dregers report...we can't just include past bonus money in a contract...is he that much up the agents a$$ that he actually needs to sell that part of an $11mil cap hit is $1.6 mil in back time bonuses he wasn't good enough to get out of Lou as the agent to sell this as something worse then it really is?

That he even mentioned that tells you how petty the Marner camp is. I honestly feel bad for the guy for being surrounded by fools.

The Marner camp still talking about not getting bonuses from Lamoriello's time here is something else.

They are going on about how Lou (The Team) screwed them out of these bonuses, but they agreed to terms and signed the deal. Now you want to take your receipt back to the store 3 years later and ask for a rebate because it wasn't on sale when you bought it?

Reactions: SprDaVE and kb

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
What kind of defensive pieces can we get for Marner?

If rumours of turning down very lucrative contract offers are true, as sad as it would be, ship him out for that premier number one d-man. What kind of names would we be looking at?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't expect Dubas to tell us who has contacted him about marner.

Of course Dubas will listen to offers, it's the only polite thing to do when you have to deal with player trades all the time.

You build relationships by communicating with other GM's.
He won't be traded unless we get 4 1st round picks back. If he gets what he wants with another team then Leafs will take the 4 1st round picks. Otherwise he will sit the year. It should have occurred with Willy and it needs to happen with Mitch.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The underating of marner is something else. People were praising him to no bounds during the season and now once its contract negotiation time we are trying to downplay his impact.
Perhaps they aren't the same people?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's a huge over-payment. This just shows how effective Ferris has been this summer, even though all of his tactics are so transparent.

The best winger in the world starts a $9.5x8 contract this year, with only about 60% in signing bonuses. The hard cap on any Marner deal should have been $9.5x8 with more signing bonus.

There should be some inflation from Kucherov. Still not more then $1mil or so per year. But a little bit. And at that point I wouldn't let $500K stop the deal so i'd do $11 but for 7 or 8 years.

It's the tax situation I don't agree with. Our guys will pay more taxes but make more in endorsements and just being a high profile Maple Leaf. But the media only discusses taxes. Not the other added income.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Correct. Except for Ferris publically ripping on the Matthews contract the day it was signed. Matthews contract negotiation was totally silent.
Where do you feel the information is coming from?
A source or just made up? (of course the source could make it up)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Where do you feel the information is coming from?
A source or just made up? (of course the source could make it up)
Honestly, I don't know if it is actually speculation, or perhaps (mis)information being spread by one or both sides to make the other side look worse.

We will find out prior to puck drop in October either way.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Can a player that the team is looking to throw that much money at really be overrated?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Well then isn't the solution then a sign and trade scenario?

Leafs sign Marner and then deal him to the team that is willing to pay him this contract.

You don't sign then trade a player. You make the trade and let the other GM handle the money.

Because what happens if you sign him in your scenario then the other GM backs off and laughs at your bad deal?

Reactions: kb

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Perhaps they aren't the same people?
No a lot of them are. I dont get how anyone could have not praised Marner after watching him play in his 94 point season. People got sour once reports came about contact negotiations and the media kept spiraling rumors out of control. During the season no one cared to compare Marner with Matthews, JT, or guys like point, rantanen etc. We were enjoying him being our best winger night in and night out. There has been a huge shift in opinions regarding marner once his contract negotiations began(which also happened with Nylander to be fair)

Reactions: ACC1224

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Don't see how you get a "solid return". other teams read the news too. at this point, we include a 1st for someone to take on these potential cap hits of a cancerous player.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, I don't know if it is actually speculation, or perhaps misinformation being spread by one or both sides to make the other side look worse.

We will find out prior to puck drop in October either way.
That's the part I really don't get.
Many claim that Dreger is putting information out there for Ferris yet everything Dreger puts out sheds Marner in a bad light.
Only thing that makes sense is the end game in all this is Marner signs for less than what Dreger has put out there and all is forgiven.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I dont know how people are still defending marner IF the reports are true.

The contract offers that he rejected. His asking price. His attack on matthews contract the day he signs it. This whole we “cant name captain” until marner is signed so we dont hurt his feelings.

i agree with this. If Marner can't stand being behind Matthews in salary and pecking order, there is no choice but to trade one of them. We are moving into dangerous chemistry territory.

At this point, it is really clear that the rest of the league thinks Marner's demands are ridiculous, or he would be seeing one of the offer sheets he is out begging for. Thankfully, this should resolve itself one way or another in the next week or so.

Sign him at a reasonable number so we can love him again, or ship him out so we can get on with things and love the team we have.

Reactions: ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad