Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Training camp looms

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There should be some inflation from Kucherov. Still not more then $1mil or so per year. But a little bit. And at that point I wouldn't let $500K stop the deal so i'd do $11 but for 7 or 8 years.

It's the tax situation I don't agree with. Our guys will pay more taxes but make more in endorsements and just being a high profile Maple Leaf. But the media only discusses taxes. Not the other added income.
It would be a big mistake to give Mitch Tavares money. He is just not that good. At 10.5M we need to sit in a holding pattern. I would not trade him. Just let him sit out the year. Bracco will fill in just fine and maybe a little less production maybe. Mitch will lose the money and he will never get it back. Let Ferris get him a HUGE OS and we take the 4 1st rounders aka it will NEVER EVER happen so call his bluff.

Reactions: ToneDog and kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Marner is turning down John Tavares money like it’s an insult, isn’t it a reasonable stance to say that his Leaf days should be over? I also don’t buy the idea we can’t win a trade moving him. Go get that McAvoy, Werenski level defenseman and spare change.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Leave the 7 year 11 mill a year deal on the table and don’t pick up the phone. He either takes it or sits the year.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
There should be some inflation from Kucherov. Still not more then $1mil or so per year. But a little bit. And at that point I wouldn't let $500K stop the deal so i'd do $11 but for 7 or 8 years.

It's the tax situation I don't agree with. Our guys will pay more taxes but make more in endorsements and just being a high profile Maple Leaf. But the media only discusses taxes. Not the other added income.

Normally I would agree, but Kuch didn't get max signing bonuses.

I think it should be $9.5x8 but he can get the ~90% signing bonuses that Tavares and Matthews got, versus the ~60% Kucherov got. 10.5x8 I wouldn't like, but I could live with it.

If the Leafs are offering 11x7, they're already lost this negotiation. Let him sit.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No a lot of them are. I dont get how anyone could have not praised Marner after watching him play in his 94 point season. People got sour once reports came about contact negotiations and the media kept spiraling rumors out of control. During the season no one cared to compare Marner with Matthews, JT, or guys like point, rantanen etc. We were enjoying him being our best winger night in and night out. There has been a huge shift in opinions regarding marner once his contract negotiations began(which also happened with Nylander to be fair)
Of course. Because what is being rumoured as the ask not only sets an entirety new market, but obliterate it. The Leafs are willing to (over)pay, but apparently it's nowhere enough.

That's why people are souring on him. The good ol' boy act will never be bought again. His brand is being irreparably damaged. And it appears his camp wants the Leafs to pay for that self-inflicted damage.

Kinda easy to see why....people turn on players who try to hold the team they cheer for hostage. You saw people turn on Nylander, Mitch had to see it too. Yet here we are.....Mitch takes this tack, he's got to live with the consequences..

It's all on him. It didn't need to get this far.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You don't sign then trade a player. You make the trade and let the other GM handle the money.

Because what happens if you sign him in your scenario then the other GM backs off and laughs at your bad deal?

A signed Marner has greater trade value than an unsigned one, otherwise you're just passing on the headache with no guarantees Marner will sign with his next team.

Unless you conditionally agree to a trade first, and the condition is that Dubas gets Marner signed to a new contract under the terms his new team is comfortable with.

Otherwise maybe you're left with trading an unsigned RFA for another unsigned RFA.

Marner for Rantanen.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Normally I would agree, but Kuch didn't get max signing bonuses.

I think it should be $9.5x8 but he can get the ~90% signing bonuses that Tavares and Matthews got, versus the ~60% Kucherov got. 10.5x8 I wouldn't like, but I could live with it.

If the Leafs are offering 11x7, they're already lost this negotiation. Let him sit.

You can't live with 10.5X8 but think they lose at 11X7 and be willing to let a 90 point player sit over $500K. That's crazy.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Of course. Because what is being rumoured as the ask not only sets an entirety new market, but obliterate it. The Leafs are willing to (over)pay, but apparently it's nowhere enough.

That's why people are souring on him. The good ol' boy act will never be bought again. His brand is being irreparably damaged. And it appears his camp wants the Leafs to pay for that self-inflicted damage.

Kinda easy to see why....people turn on players who try to hold the team they cheer for hostage. You saw people turn on Nylander, Mitch had to see it too. Yet here we are.....Mitch takes this tack, he's got to live with the consequences..

It's all on him. It didn't need to get this far.
People still support nylander even after he held out till the last day. Yes there are a portion of people who hate on nylander. Marner still has a long time to go before he pulls what nylander did. There is plenty of time till Dec 1st. Dubas will obviously try to get him locked up earlier but if he cant we need to show patience and accept this is happening like we did with Nylander.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
A signed Marner has greater trade value than an unsigned one, otherwise you'rw just passing on the headache with no guarantees Marner will sign with his next team.

Unless you conditionally agree to a trade first, and the condition is that Dubas gets Marner signed to n new contract under the terms his new team is comfortable with.

Otherwise maybe you're left with trading an unsigned RFA for another unsigned RFA.

The scenario doesn't work in this league. It doesn't work that way.

You're right a signed Marner has more value. But you don't sign him to trade him. Otherwise you keep your signed 90 point player who plays with your 45+ goal center.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
If these huge offers aren't close and the Leafs are ready to name Matthews Captain but are afraid to "offend" Marner then just cut off communications.

Here Mr. Ferris/Marner camp: these are our last couple of offers. A short bridge deal worth $x and a long term deal worth $x.
We need to focus on training camp and a potentially huge season. We will no longer negotiate because WE HAVE NO CAP SPACE to go beyond what we are offering.
We aren't trading you, and you are certainly free to entertain offers from other teams. We would love to keep you in Toronto throughout your career, as reflected in our generous contract offers.
If you decide to sit out past December 1st, we will definitely be using the cap space we had set aside for you to bolster our team to help with a long, and hopefully successful playoff run.

Oh and Matthews is our Captain. Good luck.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Leave the 7 year 11 mill a year deal on the table and don’t pick up the phone. He either takes it or sits the year.

As I said earlier Ferris went over the line. Turning this one down is a massive insult, like you dont even have any kind of respect towards the GM.
If I were Dubas I would get really angry from this point on, and start playing his little game. Cut down the offer by 500K every day and say you take it or f*** you, you will have your client sit the whole year, we dont care.
7x10.5 tomorrow
7x10 the day after
now it's 7x 9.5 and the clock is ticking Ferris, you prick

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That's the part I really don't get.
Many claim that Dreger is putting information out there for Ferris yet everything Dreger puts out sheds Marner in a bad light.
Only thing that makes sense is the end game in all this is Marner signs for less than what Dreger has put out there and all is forgiven.
You hit the nail on the head. Dreger floats outrageous numbers, and when Marner signs for less (but still ridiculously overpaid), it makes Mitch look like a good guy for 'settling'. Plus it sets up the next contract negotiation where he can whine about being disrespected in these negotiations and being strong-armed into a lesser contract. The next victim scenario is perfectly set up.

Or not.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
That contract is disgusting.

The fact that it's even on the table shows just how far Dubas has backed himself into a corner.

Yeah it’s not a good deal for the leafs but I’d say fair with the gambling revenues expected to spike the cap in the next couple years.

If he does not take this deal, which makes him a top 5 highest paid player, sit out then.

Reactions: Tmart335 and kb

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
How about when 11.5, 12.0, 12.5 ... it does have to stop somewhere.

Sure love Draisaitl contract right now ... and the 50 goals.

I never said it doesn't stop. I'm using his quoted numbers.

$10.5 being fine but $11 not.

I view $10.5 as the absolute upper end....but to get it done i'd do the exact deal I gave Tavares with that being my best offer.

But at that point yes i'd let him sit if he then wanted $11.5 or the Matthews deal.

Reactions: kb and 18leafsfan18

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Paryako has to be the most overrated players on these boards. He doesnt have elite offensive tools. Scored 30ish points since coming to the league. He is a good defender but that does not make him worth anywhere near a franchise level winger in Marner. Nylander when he was a 61 point player was worth roughly Parayako. Marner is worth far far more and the only reason the blues dont trade him is as they have won a cup with him as part of their team.

Marner should be bringing back the cream of the crop young defenders.

Chabot, Werenski+, Provo+, Macavoy+, Seth Jones.

Guys like Dumba, Parayako , Slavin would all have a big add to them of marner were to be dealt. People dont realize how unique his ELC production is when compared to other stars league wide. If matthews is our best player and franchise guy for the next 5 years than MM is a close second. He should be dealt for a game changing defender not a solid top pairing guy.

Ignorance. Slavin would arguably be the best defender on the Leafs. It would be between him and Rielly, and I am sure the board would be split like they are with every other comparable player. You take that deal 100/100 if it is offered. Having Rielly and Slavin anchor your top 2 pairings for your cup window is massive, and his contract is a steal.

UFA wingers come up all the time. Save 6M in cap space by dealing him, and use that plus the cap increase next offseason to bring in the best on you can. Of course Carolina would never do that deal. They aren't paying Aho his contract and then paying nearly double for Marner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
11x7 would end up being okay.

But it seems like Marner’s camp want close to an 11M AAV on 3 year deal soooooooo

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
So there we have it. Even Tavares' contract isn't enough for a 4th year winger that has broken the 70 point barrier once and has never scored 30 goals in the NHL.

What else is there to say at this point? I'm disgusted by the manner in which the Marner camp has conducted themselves throughout this entire process.

Reactions: HOCCA Scouting

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think we need to trade marner at this point. He hates being behind matthews. That will never change.

And im personally targeting tkachuk.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Marner is turning down John Tavares money like it’s an insult, isn’t it a reasonable stance to say that his Leaf days should be over? I also don’t buy the idea we can’t win a trade moving him. Go get that McAvoy, Werenski level defenseman and spare change.
No you get one of those guys and 3 more 1st rounders. or 4 1st rounders. no need to get wacked here. only doing it to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad