Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He needs to do better but so do AM and JT as well as the rest of the team.
I believe he will bounce back bc we need him to bounce back if we are going to have any chance in winning the next four.

Keefe ain't doing this team any favours...and I'm not excusing Marner, but remember when Babcock moved Marner down to the 3rd line to get some offense going? Keefe is incompetent...Marner and Matthews hasn't worked this series, and in game 3 when they were so bad, he still did not make any adjustments...after game 2, Keefe should have played Matthews and Willy together, and perhaps played ROR or Tavares with Marner.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
He’s even with 2 assists in his last five games - in the four games before he had 10 points?

That’s absolutely unacceptable. Six first round exits in a row is not an accident and nor is he at fault, well okay that once during the Covid bubble, but where is the spark plug, puck hound forcing turnovers and snagging breakaways on the PK? Where did that guy go?

Matthews is -2 but at least 2-2-4, and though -2 hasn’t been getting burned as bad defensively and has also had several chances that could just as easily been goals against Florida.

‘But he’s way overpaid!’ - a 26 year old with three 90 point seasons. Mitch is a 1st overall level talent in a decent but not amazing draft, there would be great offers.

‘Trade Matthews first!’, the hell is wrong with people? Trade him so maybe in the 2039 draft with the 1st overall you can get another Matthews!

But again…the sun will rise tomorrow and it will go on and on.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I highly doubt he stays if you ship everyone else out. You’d have to sign him first.
We won’t ship everyone. My guess is we want rid of Nylander or Tavares. We’ll get much more for Nylander and we may not get any traction for JT.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No I counted at least 3 bud, led directly to our losses. Doesn’t even make up for it by scoring

We’re in this situation because people look at the stats and think he’s been good

But watch the game and what’s happening on the ice and easily see why welll never win with these guys

The worse part of all this is that I’m not even looking forward to next season now
There was little hope before

Really is a magician
Gets tones of points in one game then disappears for rest of series!

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Marner is ridiculously talented but he’s just not useful in the playoffs. No matter how many points he puts up and how unique they look.

He‘s shown that he will do nothing differently. He just won’t change his game. Especially when it’s really necessary because his style, sometimes, is really detrimental in parts of playoff games.

I hope he’s been told to tweak his game in the playoffs. If he has, and chooses not to….

Trade him

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Marner has disappointed no doubt but it seems strange that he is the focus and not Matthews.
Matthews coming off a 12 game point streak probably gives him a liitle slack, but he needs to be better.

I know he hit the post early and Bob has robbed him a few times but he has to find a way to score.

Marner just had a terrible game yesterday.

The only way this core can survive is if they somehow come back and win this series and it might even take winning the next round as well

Reactions: ACC1224 and thewave

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Matthews is the only player I wouldn’t be open to trading out of the ‘core 4’
After last night, not even he is untouchable. He's the guy on this team, and time after time he disappears when we need him most. I don't know if we get rid of both Matthews and Marner, but that's the only real way this team moves forward. Both might be necessary to cleanse the rot, Philly style with Richards and Carter.

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
He’s even with 2 assists in his last five games - in the four games before he had 10 points?

That’s absolutely unacceptable. Six first round exits in a row is not an accident and nor is he at fault, well okay that once during the Covid bubble, but where is the spark plug, puck hound forcing turnovers and snagging breakaways on the PK? Where did that guy go?

Matthews is -2 but at least 2-2-4, and though -2 hasn’t been getting burned as bad defensively and has also had several chances that could just as easily been goals against Florida.

‘But he’s way overpaid!’ - a 26 year old with three 90 point seasons. Mitch is a 1st overall level talent in a decent but not amazing draft, there would be great offers.

‘Trade Matthews first!’, the hell is wrong with people? Trade him so maybe in the 2039 draft with the 1st overall you can get another Matthews!

But again…the sun will rise tomorrow and it will go on and on.
Are you even watching the playoff games? Mathews and Marner are being out played by Bennet and Verhaeghe. The regular season means squat now. WTF??

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews is the only player I wouldn’t be open to trading out of the ‘core 4’
I know, he’s been remarkable and always shows up in the big games. He’s put this team on his back and lead us to success after success, every key moment, he’s pure desire and execution. He’s invisible, which means we can’t see his tremendous contributions, I’d give him a raise and the C, he’s our leader for sure. And he’s playing hurt too.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I know, he’s been remarkable and always shows up in the big games. He’s put this team on his back and lead us to success after success, every key moment, he’s pure desire and execution. He’s invisible, which means we can’t see his tremendous contributions, I’d give him a raise and the C, he’s our leader for sure. And he’s playing hurt too.

Do you think it can work to move 2 of them and see how the other 2 adapt without the others?

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did he do Matthews?
I was curious

Matthews is 8 goals and 14 pts in those 20 games.

Tavares is 5 goals, 8 pts in 12 games over that span since he missed the WSH, BOS1 and MTL series over that period.

Truthfully i was surprised Marner lagged that far behind those two, especially when their numbers arent great

Adding Nylander
3G, 14 pts in those 20 games

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One of twenty, disappointing for sure
So many times you've made 3 word posts here, "super crazy elite" and so on but now he's one of twenty. :laugh::laugh:

He was our worst forward tonight. Literally killing us routinely, scared and curling away from everything. He wears this one.
Indeed, that's the way it looked. Not sure what else to say.

Marner has disappointed no doubt but it seems strange that he is the focus and not Matthews.
This seems to be one of your favorite tricks but this deflecting isn't going fly with anyone today. Probably best if you just kept quiet for a while.
After last night, not even he is untouchable. He's the guy on this team, and time after time he disappears when we need him most. I don't know if we get rid of both Matthews and Marner, but that's the only real way this team moves forward. Both might be necessary to cleanse the rot, Philly style with Richards and Carter.
If anyone's untouchable, I'd say it's Knies and Holl. They probably haven't been around long enough to catch the virus.
Are you even watching the playoff games? Mathews and Marner are being out played by Bennet and Verhaeghe. The regular season means squat now. WTF??
All the cheering about how awesome Marner is during the regular season was so annoying. Yes he played great but as I kept saying, if the team doesn't have playoff success it means nothing. I wonder if that's beginning to sink in for the biggest cheer leaders and if they feel a bit silly now for all the times they stated he's the "best winger in the league", and when anyone dared to mention guys like Pasta, Kuch, Ranta etc. the responded with "1st team all-star", as if nothing else matters and the fact that this is a regular season award is irrelevant. Or the "smartest player that ever played" crap, as if one post game quote from an opposing coach was gospel. Or all those posts about how high Marner already is an all-time Leafs scoring lists, which mostly just goes to show how badly this franchise has sucked for decades now. Or all the posts saying he's "worth every penny", yikes have those ever aged badly.

What a depressing morning this is! Where was that post that suggested starting a Marner depreciation thread, seems appropriate because Marner stock is dropping like a stone and the only question is, how low will it go?

And no of course it's not all on Marner, but considering how badly he choked in the biggest game of the year, he's the posted boy for this failure of a team. If this group can somehow get it together and win the next 3 games, then their stock prices will go up again but not sure if anyone thinks that's going to happen.

Reactions: IPS

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Im a huge matthews fan and even I am pissed off at him. Only thing for him is that he is actually creating chances but not burying them. He actually scores goals in the playoffs. If you actually look at the playoffs for the big four then he is definitely the best of them. At least he also hits.

Marner has how many goals in the playoffs? He is honestly become a bad player in the playoffs. He cant handle the physicality. He is too small. His style of play is not suited for it. He cant handle the pressure.

Marner is the one to go. Tavares as well but no one is trading for him.

I would keep matthews and nylander if you can. But I feel like we are going to be stuck with tavares and marner instead.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I really thought Marner played so well last season, last playoffs and this season, kept getting better as a player and I really thought there was a good chance that he'd dominate these playoffs. Reminder to myself - don't be fooled again.
I honestly believe each of these core players can, and likely will go on to succeed.

Ive described Marner's issues as quick sand and i think we saw it last night like we have in other series/games.

Sometimes a change of scenery is best for all involved

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I honestly believe each of these core players can, and likely will go on to succeed.

Ive described Marner's issues as quick sand and i think we saw it last night like we have in other series/games.

Sometimes a change of scenery is best for all involved
That's what is so frustrating - you just know that if Matthews is traded or leaves (I think he's more likely to leave than Marner), he's going to absolutely tear it up on his new team. The entirety of HF will suddenly love him after spending 7 years ripping on him relentlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad