Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are no Marner fans, just Leaf fans but we seem to have a contingent of dimwits who pile all the blame on one individual when there are many that are as deserving.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted here. The reason people are blaming Marner here is because this is a Marner thread, how impaired do you have to be to not understand this? You want to see others being blamed, check out the other threads, sheesh.

Why are you trying so hard to deflect everything to Matthews? Why is it so hard to admit that last night, Marner played worse than anyone else?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted here. The reason people are blaming Marner here is because this is a Marner thread, how impaired do you have to be to not understand this? You want to see others being blamed, check out the other threads, sheesh.

Why are you trying so hard to deflect everything to Matthews? Why is it so hard to admit that last night, Marner played worse than anyone else?
I don't understand the pull this kid has on some people and the wool people will put over their eyes when it comes to him. Must be family members for sure, only explanation. Even some dope on Reddit was arguing with me that I shouldn't be judging Marner's playoff goals because he's not a goal scorer (even though he's scored 30+ multiple times in the season), and another guy saying how his poor performance in games 3-7 of series is manipulating stats and unfair :eyeroll:

Jun 27, 2005
If Matthews leaves and Marner stays, I might even stop watching during the regular season. I never thought I'd be saying that but I can see it happening.
LMFAO. Dude it took you three games to go from the greatest Marner homer right back into the king of haters. Holy bi-polar.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
LMFAO. Dude it took you three games to go from the greatest Marner homer right back into the king of haters. Holy bi-polar.
I've said it a hundred times - Marner has been playing great ever since losing to MTL in the playoffs and all this time, you've been calling me a hater.

This series, Marner has been terrible and O-dog just nailed it on overdrive - that was maybe the worst game we've ever seen Marner play.

If anyone should be called bi-polar today, it's Marner. I don't know WTF is with that kid to play like a star for two years and then this disaster but all I do is call it like I see it. And I'm not a hater, that's such a stupid term, I just don't have any more faith in the kid but if you do, hey good for you.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Overdrive crushing it today, especially O-dog. Lots of blame to around but Marner is obviously at the center of it. Worst game he's maybe ever played as a Leaf, gave the puck away about 8 times, looking scared out there, maybe just not suited for playoff hockey, those 6 points in the first TB games being the quietest 6 points in playoff history, all that is being said and there's reason to say it all.

I was saying we should see what we could get for Marner two years ago and ever since then, he's played great and I've been thinking OK maybe it's good that we didn't move him. I've been saying over and over again that I fully expect him to play amazing in these playoffs and instead, we get this disaster.

I can't explain it, I'm out of ideas. The team as a whole sucked but Marner led the way. Series technically not over yet but that game, just wow. Losing to MTL for the low point of the last 50 years for me but this is a new low, just unbelieveable.

And I didn't watch the presser but from what O-dog said, we got the usual disappointing nonsense, especially from that windbag Keefe. I might have less faith in Keefe than in Marner at this point and that, is saying a mouthful.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
When have you ever seen Mitch Marner crash the net? Bang in a greasy rebound? Never. This guy is allergic to the gritty areas and is a perimeter player. Just because you’re a pass first playmaker, does not mean you should NEVER go hard to the net.

It’s been 7 years and he hasn’t learned to adapt. It’s not in his DNA.

strykerman

Sep 1, 2012
Marner ,( the fab 4), play great in the regular no contact season when playoffs come...the men come to play and the fab 4 cannot fill that requirement. Too soft ,pampered , and coddled. OH, by the way, WE WANT FLORIDA!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Overdrive crushing it today, especially O-dog. Lots of blame to around but Marner is obviously at the center of it. Worst game he's maybe ever played as a Leaf, gave the puck away about 8 times, looking scared out there, maybe just not suited for playoff hockey, those 6 points in the first TB games being the quietest 6 points in playoff history, all that is being said and there's reason to say it all.

I was saying we should see what we could get for Marner two years ago and ever since then, he's played great and I've been thinking OK maybe it's good that we didn't move him. I've been saying over and over again that I fully expect him to play amazing in these playoffs and instead, we get this disaster.

I can't explain it, I'm out of ideas. The team as a whole sucked but Marner led the way. Series technically not over yet but that game, just wow. Losing to MTL for the low point of the last 50 years for me but this is a new low, just unbelieveable.

And I didn't watch the presser but from what O-dog said, we got the usual disappointing nonsense, especially from that windbag Keefe. I might have less faith in Keefe than in Marner at this point and that, is saying a mouthful.

We know those that continue to gush over Marner year after year, but did you know Matthew Tkachuk quietly had 2 consecutive years of 40 goals or more and 100 plus points with two different teams? Marner has never had 100 points in a season for those who think how awesome he is...and then disappearing in the playoffs at the most important times...only if he plays as hard as he negotiates his contract.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A big game 4 and a win would help MM out

Get a few pts, be strong and responsible

Series is 99% over but there is 1% chance.

Leafs will only go as far as 34, 16, 88 go

If they go off for 5-6 pts the next 3 games each we'll be back in toronto

They need to want to dominate at a level we havent seen from a TML player perhaps... ever.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Matthews had a putrid game 3. Equally bad as Marner. He's also disappointed in big moments in the past. I do think he at last shows flashes though. I think he's salvageable, especially with a different coach.

Marner... I just don't know. Like @Gary Nylund said, I wanted to ship him out a couple seasons ago but he really impressed me the past couple seasons. Even in the playoffs last year he looked okay. And then this year he was the regular season MVP (for the Leafs.) I thought we would see that translate to the playoffs.

I don't think this team can win in the playoffs with Marner. You can't have such a huge part of your teams success in the regular season look so ineffective in the playoffs. It ends up being an 11M dollar hole in the top 6 come playoffs.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Matthews had a putrid game 3. Equally bad as Marner. He's also disappointed in big moments in the past. I do think he at last shows flashes though. I think he's salvageable, especially with a different coach.

Marner... I just don't know. Like @Gary Nylund said, I wanted to ship him out a couple seasons ago but he really impressed me the past couple seasons. Even in the playoffs last year he looked okay. And then this year he was the regular season MVP. I thought we would see that translate to the playoffs.

I don't think this team can win in the playoffs with Marner. You can't have such a huge part of your teams success in the regular season look so ineffective in the playoffs. It ends up being an 11M dollar hole in the top 6 come playoffs.
I don't think so either. And how many chances are these guys supposed to get? Marner's 26 years old, Matthews will be 26 before next season starts, this the age where they're supposed to be at their peaks as hockey players and 2 years from now, they'll be past it and slowly declining. In that context, doesn't seem ideal to lock these guys up for 8 more years.

This will probably seem radical to some people but if I could, I would trade them both for the 1st overall pick in this years draft.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I’d be careful what you wish for.. Marner is probably never gonna be the guy to bully his way to the front of the net with a defender draped on him to score.. but if he gets moved to a team with players like that who he can feed the puck he will light them on fire and everyone here will wonder why he didn’t do it here.

Reactions: WillyC and ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’d be careful what you wish for.. Marner is probably never gonna be the guy to bully his way to the front of the net with a defender draped on him to score.. but if he gets moved to a team with players like that who he can feed the puck he will light them on fire and everyone here will wonder why he didn’t do it here.
Maybe, maybe not. But even if that happens, it wouldn't even bother me because we're so used to this sort of thing happening anyway so who cares? If it's not going to happen here, that's all that matters to me. We've all seen what Marner can do, he's played great ever since we lost to MTL in the playoffs. But do you really think there's much of a chance of Marner shining in the playoffs for us after seeing him play like a scared little kid last night? Wasn't the first time it's happened either and you can always say anything's possible but it's hard to have faith in him after last night's debacle. JMHO.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
There are 31 teams in reality for you to choose from. Please pick out the team for us with all these bullies or that one player who can shelter Marner AND spoon feed him the puck. The fact he even needs this, if true, is proof he's not who we need to lead OUR team. If this team does exist, they don't need to pay for Marner either. Both price and cap hit. This ecosystem will easily find a player who can excel in it, since it seems this ecosystem is doing the majority of the work.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
It's just weird how players can succeed everywhere but here.

If Matthews leaves and Marner stays, I might even stop watching during the regular season. I never thought I'd be saying that but I can see it happening.

Worth every penny. I've lost count of how many times I've read that here, what a sad joke.

What's idiotic is thinking that that's what people are doing Paul. Plenty of blame to go around but Marner gets such a huge chunk of the salary cap, therefore when he keeps sucking in the most important games the team plays, he deserves a huge chunk of the blame. A HUGE chunk.

Don't worry, only a few short months until next season, then you can go back to making your 3 word "super crazy elite" posts, telling us how he's "worth every penny" and yelling at anyone who dares bring up the playoffs.
What happened to you Gary?

You were the most positive poster all year.

You were a finalist for the last byng trophy on this forum.

They finally broke you. Lol

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Maybe, maybe not. But even if that happens, it wouldn't even bother me because we're so used to this sort of thing happening anyway so who cares? If it's not going to happen here, that's all that matters to me. We've all seen what Marner can do, he's played great ever since we lost to MTL in the playoffs. But do you really think there's much of a chance of Marner shining in the playoffs for us after seeing him play like a scared little kid last night? Wasn't the first time it's happened either and you can always say anything's possible but it's hard to have faith in him after last night's debacle. JMHO.
You don't need to worry because it's not going to happen.

Marner is a 1LW he is going to get played hard in the playoffs no matter where he goes. He's changing teams, not leagues.

For Marner to withstand playoff hockey he might need to miss half the year to stay fresh. So weak.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What happened to you Gary?

You were the most positive poster all year.

You were a finalist for the last byng trophy on this forum.

They finally broke you. Lol
I don't think I was the most positive but in general, I do try to stay positive and look at the bright side of things in all aspects of life. And being a fan, I figure you may as well try to stay positive, otherwise what's the point? But yeah after last night, it's tough. It was just so brutal, not just Marner but most of the guys just played so poorly. Even Brodie, I think I said a while back that I think he's the only guy on the team who people never criticize, he just quietly plays rock solid but O-dog broke down the OT goal nicely on overdrive this afternoon and he's right, Brodie's never looked so bad as he did on that play.

I guess if I really wanted to I could make the case that we could still win this thing. Moneypuck has us at 8.4% I believe, I can see where they get that number from and it's not nothing. Woll's been amazing when he's had the chance to play, maybe he makes 38 saves for the shutout and then there's life again ... sort of.

Not gonna lie though, I do feel kind of broken today. 50+ years of cheering for this team and the most talented Leaf team I've ever seen plays this badly in a game this important, it's tough.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
He has a lot of points so I never cared to take a look at how he's doing statistically. I just figured on paper everything would check out fine.

At first glance I see that out of 9 playoff games, he hasn't scored a goal in 8 of them.

The mind boggles.

Mason Marchment has more goals. We kept the wrong MM. Okay now I'm purposely trolling. These guys don't deserve my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad