Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
No one knows the exact number Markov wanted for one year. All we heard from sources is he wanted $12 million for 2 years, for a one year deal he might've been looking for $7-8 million.. no one knows exactly, especially since Markov was his own agent the the Habs' don't leak that information.

Given he signed in the KHL for two years, my guess is Markov was looking to cash in on likely his last opportunity. Whether it was a 2 year deal at a bit lower of a price or signing for one year at a higher dollar value to make it worth it for him and his family.

The point stands. If Bergevin was that worried about not spending, don't go out and gift 5.3M to Alzner and Streit.

He nickle and dimes Markov so he can save give or take 1.5M while icing a worse top 4. It looks even worse.

Also suggesting 8M is pure speculation on your part. Why not 10 while you're at it. Anything to defend the dummy in charge I suppose.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think it is perfectly reasonable for both Bergevin to take that approach and for Markov to decide how he did.

Even though us fans don't like the outcome right now, I really don't see a need to place blame on either side. The situation may ultimately work out well for both sides; only time will tell.

I'm not sure its all that reasonable for Bergevin to ask one of the best defenceman in franchise history, after a season where he proved that he still has plenty to give a team, to put his career on hold so he could figure out a deal that hasn't materialized. It inherently weakens his bargaining position knowing that if he strikes out, he essentially gave up Radulov and Markov for Alzner and the chance to make a trade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I couldn't care less if MB was fired tomorrow.
Then stop defending him and looking for scapegoats when he makes a mistake.
And Russians are a problem. Tons of examples and teams are avoiding them like the plague. I'm honestly surprised this is even debatable.
It doesn't apply here. Markov wanted to come back and said so. Again, stop looking for the boogeyman. The buck stops with our GM. Shooting your mouth off at press conferences isn't a good idea and it's not surprising that he wound up losing BOTH players he was talking about.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No one knows the exact number Markov wanted for one year. All we heard from sources is he wanted $12 million for 2 years, for a one year deal he might've been looking for $7-8 million.. no one knows exactly, especially since Markov was his own agent the the Habs' don't leak that information.

Given he signed in the KHL for two years, my guess is Markov was looking to cash in on likely his last opportunity. Whether it was a 2 year deal at a bit lower of a price or signing for one year at a higher dollar value to make it worth it for him and his family.

I must of missed that and didn't see it in the threads. Do you have a link in regards to what his contract is?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

And Russians are a problem. Tons of examples and teams are avoiding them like the plague. I'm honestly surprised this is even debatable.

Are you seriously bringing this up in the case of Andrei (Canadian citizen) Markov?

Are you seriously trying to convince yourself that we just rid ourselves of a "problematic Russian"??

T'es-tu sérieux???

Our GM was unprofessional and should have been fired, or at least seriously reprimanded and put on a short leash, for his insulting performance on July 2nd.

You want to know where the problem is? It's not 7000 miles away.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Markov was loyal to the Habs and wouldn't even sign with another NHL team.

Maybe he was willing to sign for 3-4million for a year but BargainBin thought the Habs didn't need him because there left side is as stacked as it is lol.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
, ...stop looking for the boogeyman. The buck stops with our GM. Shooting your mouth off at press conferences isn't a good idea and it's not surprising that he wound up losing BOTH players he was talking about.

This is so obvious to anyone with experience in negotiations.

Surely Geoff Molson does not have his managers at the Brewery act like that!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not sure its all that reasonable for Bergevin to ask one of the best defenceman in franchise history, after a season where he proved that he still has plenty to give a team, to put his career on hold so he could figure out a deal that hasn't materialized. It inherently weakens his bargaining position knowing that if he strikes out, he essentially gave up Radulov and Markov for Alzner and the chance to make a trade.

But its ok for Markov to ask MB to put his whole team on hold so Markov can sit around and decide if he wants to play here or not? Its on both of them. MB has a team do deal with he waited nearly a month for Markov to decide.

If Markov wanted to play here a contract was there on July 1st. As UFA thats his right but its just as unfair on MB that a player makes a GM hold onto cap space.

The bigger issue is that the 8.5 is sitting there an no player is filling it. If UFA's want to leave they earned that right. Thats why UFA exsist. MB's job is to spend that 8.5 which he has not done as of yet.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
But its ok for Markov to ask MB to put his whole team on hold so Markov can sit around and decide if he wants to play here or not? Its on both of them. MB has a team do deal with he waited nearly a month for Markov to decide.

If Markov wanted to play here a contract was there on July 1st. As UFA thats his right but its just as unfair on MB that a player makes a GM hold onto cap space.

The bigger issue is that the 8.5 is sitting there an no player is filling it. If UFA's want to leave they earned that right. Thats why UFA exsist. MB's job is to spend that 8.5 which he has not done as of yet.

Come on. This doesn't make sense. MB offered Markov less than he was worth and asked him to wait until September for the possibility that he might be able to pay him his actual value. Markov presumably had to commit to someone before then or possibly lose the opportunity. That's not on Markov.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Or maybe he was asking 3 or 4 mil? Like you said, no one knows exactly. No point making up numbers.

Common sense.

He asks for 2 years at $6 per. Bergevin says no.

Markov comes back and says 1 year then. He compromised on the term. You think he compromised on the $6?

I don't.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

That's under the assumption that Bergevin had the deal on the table for a month. I'm not sure that's the case. Bergevin decided that Alzner, swapping Sergachev for Drouin, and a potential trade were more important than bringing back Radulov and Markov. That's his prerogative. But all chatter is that Markov was willing to come back on a one year deal and maybe that Bergevin asked him to wait. Markov said he'd come back.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Common sense.

He asks for 2 years at $6 per. Bergevin says no.

Markov comes back and says 1 year then. He compromised on the term. You think he compromised on the $6?

I don't.

Common sense only if it suits that narrative you mean. There's nothing sensical about suggesting he was asking 8M or no deal when he's got no other NHL offers on the table.

If you had read the conversation that lead to that post and not taken it out of context you would already know my answer to that question.

Last edited:

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-think-marc-bergevin-dreaming-big-canadiens/

According to Friedman, the reason Markov did not get signed is because MB told Markov to wait until September to see if he could do something big with the huge amount of capspace he had. Obviously, waiting that long will give a lot of trouble for Markov and his family so he decided to sign elsewhere.

Friedman, lol. Like he has any inside knowledge of this conversation, what a tool. Let me guess, MB called Elliot and let him in on some inside contract negotiations, because Elliot is so important? These 'insiders' are about as legitimate as the celebrity bloggers.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-think-marc-bergevin-dreaming-big-canadiens/

According to Friedman, the reason Markov did not get signed is because MB told Markov to wait until September to see if he could do something big with the huge amount of capspace he had. Obviously, waiting that long will give a lot of trouble for Markov and his family so he decided to sign elsewhere.

Draisaitl offersheet is probably the only thing that would get me excited again, because I don't see a trade happening in August for an impact player that will not come with a massive price tag.

Do the Oilers match 9.5m/7 years? Would they let him go for two 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd? Who knows. Habs need that big center, and I would overpay for one. Especially a young one.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
That's great news actually, Markov retires as a Canadiens and MB retains precious salary cap. Moscow, can we trade you Andrew Shaw for Andrei Markov ?

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal

Ta yeule sérieux.

How the hell is Markov a problematic russian that must be avoided like the plague. The guy played here for 17 years, is a canadian citizen and refused to wear another NHL jersey.

Sérieux juste ta yeule.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
9983f33fae2c1f452de5ef5ac5215e8f.jpg

Meanwhile, Shea Weber
1318055_1280x720.jpg

In video form

Keep up the xenophobia, it's a really good look for our fanbase.

Personally, I loved having those Russians on the team, because they were extremely skilled -- as Russians typically are due to their philosophy of development, not due to anything racial/national/ethnic, however you want to phrase it.

I didn't know Markov came down to 1 yr. Oh man, MB, seriously WTF? Unless I'm missing something here, Bergevin needs to be taken to the quiet room to be checked for brain damage. That ego tho...

As for Russians succeeding, is it not possible to make that (very valid) point without showing one Canadian player, who is quite terrific, in a less than flattering game, just because you dislike him? Everywhere, every thread -- Weber sucks. As much as I'm fatigued by Bergevin, I still really love Weber (and PK), and am glad we have him, but I guess he's STILL the new DD to some people.

Had one shown Ovechkin's multiple failures and Crosby's dominance, that's proof that Canadians > Russians :shakehead

I also don't get this Olympics thing:

a) Will Markov even make the team?
b) I get that the Europeans think of it as their Stanley Cup (a trope I don't really believe for NHLers), but Canada has dominated lately, and Russia in particular has been pathetic. Would be weird for Markov to leave for THAT reason alone.
c) The NHLers to Olympic decision hasn't been finalized, has it?

Edit: I just watched that infamous "It's All Weber's Fault" recap -- he was responsible for ONE goal due to a bad bounce/mishandling, already trying to drive offense down 2 goals. I'm sure that's nevvvvver happened to any other D men we know. 5th goal, he had no choice but to try and go for the hit. 4th goal (I think), whoever drop passed that to where Weber was nowhere close -- it's on them. Josi looked far worse in those clips. The bias around here is...as expected.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I have only the greatest respect for Andrei Markov, along with best wishes for him & family.(his new wife & baby, and twin sons, from deceased ex. ) Sonia his new wife taking on the responsibilities of mothering all three a daunting task, for the whole family to overcome. Away from the spotlight & scrutiny of the media in NA, hopefully they can build a great family life, which far exceeds in importance the hockey career. Markov is to be commended for his values, IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad