Hyman has 69 total goals this season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Zach Hyman the 3rd active player to score at least 70 goals in a season. Even Ovechkin never did this in his entire career.

Now he's tied with Matthews for second place. McDavid has scored the most out of the active players with 72 goals.

(Counting both regular season and the playoffs).

Reactions: PaulD

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Welcome to the classic sports tackle and bait store, fans. Get your off-season ready bait here!

Why do we keep pretending that players' output are absolute values regardless of circumstance? We are upset when acquiring a 20-goal scorer that puts up 10, as if the new environment and circumstance does not apply. We are thrilled to have "swindled" some team of their 30 goal scorer, who previously had never reached that mark and perhaps never would have save for their new teammates, ice time, usage, and all other factors that matter.

It's so obvious if you'd put all the best goal scorers in the world on the same team, that they wouldn't ALL have the chance to produce at their previous best levels.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
trading a teenage Tuukka Rask the year after making him a first round pick was a far bigger mistake and much more damaging long-term tbqh

Last edited:
Reactions: The Shadow

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
2nd time I've heard it.
The first was Leafs fans claiming Matthews hit 70.

This Hyman thread seems to be more of a 'gotcha' reply thread to the Matthews 70 nonsense than anything else.
I agree, it does seem like a ‘gotcha’ and the leaf fans that were touting 70 were the same ones who were trying to rewrite the ‘50 in 50’ accomplishment so Matthews would be eligible.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I could be wrong (or maybe I just wasn’t paying much attention to it), but I didn’t see many Leafs fans claiming that Matthews scored 70.

You didn't see when Matthews scored in the playoffs? They called it his 70th. Not sure if Leaf fans echoed that but that was the first time I noticed them combining reg/playoff stats

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
trading a teenage Tuukka Rask the year after making him a first round pick was a far bigger mistake and much more damaging long-term tbqh
Atleast the Leafs had Pogge who was coming off a great Junior tournament. So you kind of have some logic there. Wrong as it turned out. I would argue not signing Hyman and using his cap resources to sign Mrazak at 3.8M and Ritchie at 2.5M was far more damaging. Does Dubas watch hockey or is he playing 3D checkers? Horrific decisions and moves made by him.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Atleast the Leafs had Pogge who was coming off a great Junior tournament. So you kind of have some logic there. Wrong as it turned out. I would argue not signing Hyman and using his cap resources to sign Mrazak at 3.8M and Ritchie at 2.5M was far more damaging. Does Dubas watch hockey or is he playing 3D checkers? Horrific decisions and moves made by him.

Rask was one of the best goalies in the world for like 15 years after being traded, thinking losing Hyman is more damaging than that is being a prisoner of the moment.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wonder how much his parents paid to swing the vote

That's such a dumb reason to dislike a player.

He couldn't help who his parents are.

He certainly doesn't have the work ethic of someone born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

You might as well criticize every kid of a former NHL player for their privileged environment growing up.

Anyway, I'm sure it was just a light-hearted joke but the fact that some people take it seriously is bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyKoala

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rask was one of the best goalies in the world for like 15 years after being traded, thinking losing Hyman is more damaging than that is being a prisoner of the moment.
Both were horrendous. But at the moment we know how Hyman is performing in these playoffs. And he has been a great player for his lasting 5 seasons as a pro. If you don’t think Hyman who has 70 goals this year at 5.5 is not damaging to a team that lacks playoff performers. Than you certainly do not see the picture here. As for the argument of Hyman not showing this with the Leafs as to expect him to perform like the big 4. That’s a silly argument to expect a 2.25m cap hit to lead the Leafs in scoring in the playoffs. Also a big what if had Rask played in Toronto and not Boston. One one of the best defensive teams in the NHL the other not so. Not a convincing argument there.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Both were horrendous. But at the moment we know how Hyman is performing in these playoffs. And he has been a great player for his lasting 5 seasons as a pro. If you don’t think Hyman who has 70 goals this year at 5.5 is not damaging to a team that lacks playoff performers. Than you certainly do not see the picture here. As for the argument of Hyman not showing this with the Leafs as to expect him to perform like the big 4. That’s a silly argument to expect a 2.25m cap hit to lead the Leafs in scoring in the playoffs. Also a big what if had Rask played in Toronto and not Boston. One one of the best defensive teams in the NHL the other not so. Not a convincing argument there.

I forgot what responding to you was like, where you argue I bunch of things I never said. Somehow me saying Rask was more damaging has you saying I don’t think losing Hyman was damaging at all. Or arguing a bunch of stuff about his time with the Leafs that I never brought up. Won’t make the mistake of engaging again!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I forgot what responding to you was like, where you argue I bunch of things I never said. Somehow me saying Rask was more damaging has you saying I don’t think losing Hyman was damaging at all. Or arguing a bunch of stuff about his time with the Leafs that I never brought up. Won’t make the mistake of engaging again!
You don’t think losing Hyman was damaging at all? Are you Kyle Dubas? I didn’t think he had any defenders left because in Hyman’s case he F’d up so badly. There is simply no defence.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
You didn't see when Matthews scored in the playoffs? They called it his 70th. Not sure if Leaf fans echoed that but that was the first time I noticed them combining reg/playoff stats
I didn’t see that, but I think it’s pretty silly that they tried to claim it. To me, Matthews scored 69 goals this season plus 1 in the playoffs, which doesn’t make him a 70 goal scorer. Just like with Hyman. He scored 54 goals this season and now he’s got 16 in the playoffs. And the real story to me with Hyman is how he’s maintained his excellence from the regular season straight through this postseason, which is far more noteworthy and impressive than any fake stat being concocted by adding up different goal totals.

Reactions: Macheteops

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
That's such a dumb reason to dislike a player.

He couldn't help who his parents are.

He certainly doesn't have the work ethic of someone born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

You might as well criticize every kid of a former NHL player for their privileged environment growing up.

Anyway, I'm sure it was just a light-hearted joke but the fact that some people take it seriously is bizarre.

It was entirely a joke lol I thought the rocket not being voted on was the tell.

I don't rly care about his parents, most of these top prospects nowadays come from well off families, they have to be with how expensive the sport/training is in Canada. It's unfortunate it's gotten to this point but it's the inevitable reality.

Reactions: NyQuil

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
You don’t think losing Hyman was damaging at all? Are you Kyle Dubas? I didn’t think he had any defenders left because in Hyman’s case he F’d up so badly. There is simply no defence.

I’ll bite.

Dubas sucks. Let’s get that at out of the way.

Hyman’s departure had neglible impact for Toronto. His deployment in Toronto is very different.

The Hyman you see now is not the same player in Toronto. His skating with the puck has drastically improved as his hands around the net.

Only way Hyman can make a difference is if you transplant his heart and soul into one of Marner and Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
swear I remember him signing long term then asking for a trade a year later.
I thought he signed there as a FA, I guess they traded for him then extended him?
Pre-lockout, players became UFA at 31 with potential compensation picks for going to FA. If you look at 2003 NHL draft you will see the 2nd round included 38 picks (notably Bergeron being a compensation pick for Guerin leaving to free agency). It was quite complicated. and the picks were based on the payrolls of the team.

This created a bunch of weird situations like trading for pending UFAs not to sign them but to get the compensation pick. Ed Belfour was one. He was traded to Nashville as a UFA and then signed in Toronto. Nashville got a pick as a small market team that Dallas wouldn't have.

But think that's weird? Look at Tie Domi. He got traded by Toronto to Nashville. Nashville let him walk, got the compensation pick, and Domi signed...with Toronto.

Part of the lockout was fixing the free agency bullshit and players would become UFA at 27 or earlier. But Pronger was in limbo having been a RFA at age 30 despite the new rules going to take place as the Blues had qualified him. And since the cap really messed with the payrolls of teams there was a lot of trades and buyouts to get a cap-team while 2 UFA classes occurred in the 2005 off-season. So there was a ton of players in free agency as well as trades as a result of the new cap.

Blues were "forced" to trade him as the team who had a 60M budget the season before was scrambling to get under the 39M cap (though they lost MacInnis, and didn't qualify Demitra) and keeping Pronger with Weight and Tkachuk would have made the Leafs current cap-structure look balanced in comparison.

So Pronger was traded, as a qualified RFA with no contract, as one of the first cap casualties but immediately signed an extension for 5 years. Then he realized that Edmonton is Edmonton and demanded a trade after carrying them within a win from the Cup.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I’ll bite.

Hyman’s departure had neglible impact for Toronto. His deployment in Toronto is very different.

The Hyman you see now is not the same player in Toronto. His skating with the puck has drastically improved as his hands around the net.

Only way Hyman can make a difference is if you transplant his heart and soul into one of Marner and Matthews.
He's also playing with the best player in the world right now, which obviously contributes to how good he has been.

Reactions: Petrus

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’ll bite.

Hyman’s last 2 seasons in Toronto were actually very good and he was on an upwards trajectory. If he was not hurt he would have scored 30 goals while not being on the primary PP that was gifted to Tavares, Nylander, Marner and Matthews. He out goaled McDavid and Draisaitl this year when given the opportunity to play prime minutes. I think it’s inaccurate to portray him as a player that was not developing on an upward trend as your post suggests. He was given the opportunity in Edmonton that he was not given in Toronto. It doesn’t mean he was not the same player incapable of doing what he is doing now. It’s ok to admit Dubas messed up colossally and also admit Hyman could have been used as he is in Edmonton right now. Maybe he would not score 54 or 70. But 40 given the right circumstances I would say yes. And this is why the Leafs lost with their mismanagement in player personnel. They handed out money for all players but the one that deserved it the most. That is a big miss anyway you look at it.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The main argument back then was yeah Hyman is good but he gonna be injured all the time with the style he play and the back end of the contract will be horrible.

So far so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad