Barkov the first Finn to captain team to Stanley Cup

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
He is product on Finnish youth system, but had adopted a lot from his father who was a Soviet national team player. When Finnish team play and work ethic meets Russian skill and hockey IQ, you get Barkov.
Good post. People say he is a product of the Finnish development system, which is true, but some of the credit must be given to his Russian father who was quite a good hockey player himself.

Reactions: illone84

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He's also the first captain to win a cup who has zero fights in his career. You'd be shocked at how many Panthers fans said the Panthers would never with with Barkov as captain for this obscure stat alone.
Today I learned Patrice Bergeron and Anze Kopitar have fought someone.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Very cool for him to win the Cup, but I feel he was exposed a bit in the Finals.

7gp 2+3, 5 points, -1 is not the kind of performance that is usually enough from the leading player of a Cup winning team, but this time it was enough.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Very cool for him to win the Cup, but I feel he was exposed a bit in the Finals.

7gp 2+3, 5 points, -1 is not the kind of performance that is usually enough from the leading player of a Cup winning team, but this time it was enough.
The thing with Barkov is, even if he's not scoring he's always helping his team defensively. He made numerous blocks on this series, takeaways etc. Stuff that doesn't show up on the scoresheet. Things that may change the momentum of a game, lets say a takeaway from neutral zone turning to offence, turning to more offence and having the puck possession and eventually a Sam Reinhart goal without Barky assist or something.

Not to mention any names, but can you say that about every other captain?

He easily has a 100+ points upside, no doubt. He's just defensively minded.

What he did, was expose his bare hands to the Lord Stanley Cup.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

He was the best player on the ice for either team before the elbow to the head. Only casuals judge Barkov by his stat line.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

The only one exposed was McNugget not showing up in 5/7 games and Draisaitl going to Cabo during the entire series.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I absolutely love watching defensive players like Barkov, Kopitar, Bergeron and Datsyuk in the playoffs.

They're the kind of players that make the other teams fans question why their favourite players had an off night.

Barkov's so efficient there are times where you think he's not doing much unless you watch him closely because he's always in the right position.

Reactions: Gsus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad