Confirmed with Link: Jean-François Houle Parts Ways with Habs/Rocket to Coach at Clarkson University

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should Houle be brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 69.2%

• Total voters

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What I want:

Sylvain Favreau as head coach. Would be ok with Aubin, Malette, Julien or Tanguay (not sure he'd leave a NHL assistant coach job though).
I think Guy Boucher would clash with MSL and I really do not want Vincent (would have preferred Houle).

Laperriere can stay or be replaced I don't really care, coach's choice.

Bringing in Markov or Gonchar (if he wants to go on the bench instead of NHL dev coach) could be interesting for the D.

I'd bring in Pominville, JP-Dumont, Byron, Metropolit or Gionta for the forwards.
Plekanec would be fun too, but I don't see him leaving Kladno/Jagr (I expect him to get some position there now that he retired, coaching or otherwise).

Marciano should stay. Would love if Price would also start poking his head in goalie practices or in goalie development meetings.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What I want:

Sylvain Favreau as head coach. Would be ok with Aubin, Malette, Julien or Tanguay (not sure he'd leave a NHL assistant coach job though).
I think Guy Boucher would clash with MSL and I really do not want Vincent (would have preferred Houle).

Bringing in Markov or Gonchar (if he wants to go on the bench instead of NHL dev coach) could be interesting for the D.

I'd bring in Pominville, JP-Dumont, Byron, Metropolit or Gionta for the forwards.
Plekanec would be fun too, but I don't see him leaving Kladno/Jagr (I expect him to get some position there now that he retired, coaching or otherwise).

Marciano should stay. Would love if Price would also start poking his head in goalie practices or in goalie development meetings.
Markov is a big no for me, he really doesn’t have the profil of an assistant coach, even worst with young kid.

Pominville is a big yes as an assistant

Byron doesn’t want the job

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
There's a rule against getting political around here and honestly it's for things like this. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Absolutely. No idea. End of story. No idea. You may be a great guy. I'm sure you are. But here you are just wrong. And I respect a lot the other posters around here too, but many of you are also having very cringe opinions about all this.

There's plenty of great french-speaking coaches available who could all justify a chance at coaching in the pro. This won't be a challenge or a problem.
Im not opposed to French coaches at all, i just dont believe he (even She, though i doubt it) needs to speak French..
Do you think Marty speaks French with his players? Hugo? Highly doubt it..

Im an ex mtler, i know the political landscape very well... early 90s, i had 2 Separatist UQAM roommates (and still buddies to this day), my gf was French from France (no longer buddy)...

Im super happy KH spoke French, can you imagine NOT hiring him bc he couldn't? Shame, if so.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What I want:

I don’t think Tanguay’s wife (Helene) will move back to Quebec…

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pretty shocked considering we just resigned him, but, you know what? Good for him. He gets job security and gets to run his own show. Plus, Clarkson University is a good hockey school, and situated on a gorgeous campus. The whole thing is way more conducive to family life, too. Those AHL bus trips.....

Good luck. That run to game 7 final four in 2022 was amazing, especially considering how shit things were with the big club that season.

2021: Montreal's run
2022: Laval's run

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I feel like Guy Boucher is the ideal coach. French, he know what it take to play in the NHL and had to coach some elite players very technical but feel like he able to communicate he probably a bit more melow than before +now he is very good with media.

Reactions: cphabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I feel like Guy Boucher is the ideal coach. French, he know what it take to play in the NHL and had to coach some elite players very technical but feel like he able to communicate he probably a bit more melow than before +now he is very good with media.
They need a coach whose hockey philosophy matches MSL / Hughes …. that isn’t Boucher, and sorry to say will likely be someone from the US ranks

I know Hughes is close to Red Gendron, long time head coach of Univ of Maine, who’s also fluently bilingual but don’t think he has any interest in leaving Maine program he built up or US college hockey in general.

MSL is good friends w CJ Marottolo who’s the long time head coach of Sacred Heart and also fluently bilingual

Last edited:
Reactions: Habano and Vachon23

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I watched every game Reinbacher played and if you don't think he wasn't ham fisting his useless vets out on that first power play unit and not making any changes to those units despite their ineffectiveness, you weren't watching.
I watched a game mid season against one of our main rivals.
We were down 2-1 with Struble being our only PLAYER doing anything he actually scored our only goal.
We ended up getting a five minute PP late in the third and Struble never saw the ice.
I was so pissed at the lack of bench management based on game play it was pathetic.
We get the same thing on the Big Club as well something Marty has to get a handle on.

Reactions: Habano

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe this is a reflection of how out of the loop I am but didn't the rocket announce recently that the coaching staff was coming back?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Maybe this is a reflection of how out of the loop I am but didn't the rocket announce recently that the coaching staff was coming back?
Yes but that was before Clarkson canned their long time head coach, asked permission to speak to alumni Houle and offered him $200K more per year than Habs deal

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

You're not. Houle signed a 3 years deal with the Rocket last month (May 29). And he's gone now.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You're not. Houle signed a 3 years deal with the Rocket last month (May 29). And he's gone now.

Weird. I mean, I get it. Houle has to do what is best for him, but it almost looks like he kind of dicked around the rocket.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I know it might not be a "sexy" gig for a guy like Bob Hartley but he would be a good fit IMHO
His approach changed quite a bit, the way he now talks about the game and he would help the boys become men

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
They need a coach whose hockey philosophy matches MSL / Hughes …. that isn’t Boucher, and sorry to say will likely be someone from the US ranks

I know Hughes is close to Red Gendron, long time head coach of Univ of Maine, who’s also fluently bilingual but don’t think he has any interest in leaving Maine program he built up or US college hockey in general.

MSL is good friends w CJ Marottolo who’s the long time head coach of Sacred Heart and also fluently bilingual
He passed away in 2021 it seems.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005

I hope Hughes is not TOO close to Red Gendron, since it seems he has died more than 3 years ago according to Wikipedia. You are however correct that he shouldn't be leaving Maine anytime soon.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Weird. I mean, I get it. Houle has to do what is best for him, but it almost looks like he kind of dicked around the rocket.
Houle goes way back with Hughes so I would assume he was open about his other options and is leaving in good terms.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The job at Clarkson wasn't available a month ago when Houle signed his extrension. The former Clarkson coach recently left for a job at Cornell, at which point they reached out to Houle. The timing is awkward, but nothing underhanded it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad