Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I love the idea that removing two very skilled Russians who compete hard every shift will magically make the team tougher to play against.

Markov might be getting older but it's not like he's ever been weak.

Who knows? Seems like everyone knows except Bergevin.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You really don't understand the issues with Russian players? It has nothing to do with off ice issues, the issue is the KHL. No KHL and Markov is a Hab next year at 5.5. No KHL and the Wings draft their 2016 first rounder. Radulov has 230 games at 31 and has no history of injuries, care to guess why? MB's fault? Kuznetsov has 200 career points at 25 and just signed for 7.8. Terrible deal leveraged by the KHL and the caps gm said as much.

Russians are a nightmare for NHL teams, this is not even debatable.
Please...

Publicly saying "take it or leave it" and negotiating in public is a bad move. It's why you don't see GMs doing it as it forces the guy you're negotiating with into a corner. We now go into next year with... Mark Streit (?) in the top four?

As usual it's somebody else's fault though right? Now it's the KHL.

When is it the GM's fault? When do you actually hold him accountable for something?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Please...

Publicly saying "take it or leave it" and negotiating in public is a bad move. It's why you don't see GMs doing it as it forces the guy you're negotiating with into a corner. We now go into next year with... Mark Streit (?) in the top four?

When is it the GM's fault? When do you actually hold him accountable for something?

Yeah... I get the issue with the KHL to a certain extent -- just not here.

The KHL would be a serious issue here if the team was in serious cap trouble, or if Markov's salary was mandated by league rules (in others words, on an ELC); alternately, if the KHL could pry away players that are actually under contract.

Can we agree that the first two statements absolutely don't apply to Markov?

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
We have absolutely no reason to believe MB negociated in good faith.

He had his media lackeys falsely say he was stuck on two years. We now know this isn't true.

We had some BargainBinites here say Markov CHOSE to leave... When we can clearly see he absolutely wanted to come back.

Bergevin is so transparent it's almost laughable. I had a whole post defending Weber in another thread but at this point, I'm not defending any moves or players this clown adds. He just needs to get the **** out of Montreal. The man is a disgrace.

At this point you're all behaving like raging delusional paranoiacs. I'm supposed to believe Bergevin is deliberately sabotaging the team for... what purpose exactly? To spite you all?

Markov is 39 years old, slowing down, just married, wants to raise his youngest child in his home country and be closer to his older children who's mother died not too long ago, he can represent his country in the olympics and probably earn as much or more with a guaranteed two year contract that the Habs couldn't match. What's hard to believe about that?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
At this point you're all behaving like raging delusional paranoiacs. I'm supposed to believe Bergevin is deliberately sabotaging the team for... what purpose exactly? To spite you all?

Markov is 39 years old, slowing down, just married, wants to raise his youngest child in his home country and be closer to his older children who's mother died not too long ago, he can represent his country in the olympics and probably earn as much or more with a guaranteed two year contract that the Habs couldn't match. What's hard to believe about that?

Markov is 38.

You know who else is slowing down? 32 year old Shea Weber.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Please...

It can't be the GM's fault. I mean... it's not like the GM went to the media and publicly said "if you want loyalty, buy a dog" before Radulov had even SIGNED a contract.

Nope, not the GM at all.

The KHL wasn't even being used as leverage by Markov. He's been here for 16 years. He was 10 games away from 1000 with a single team. He wanted to stay. He couldn't see himself wearing another NHL jersey and went back home.

This isn't on the KHL factor. In this situation, it's on Bergevin. He played hardball with Radulov and Markov and he lost both.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He'll turn 39 in december.

And what's the link with Weber again? According to Norris voters, he was the 6th best D in the NHL last year. No bad for a washed-up has-been. :nod:

I guess the link is, Weber is similar age to Markov when Bergevin took over Montreal. Hopefully we're lucky enough to have Weber age better than our #1 D from another era, Markov.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Please...

I couldn't care less if MB was fired tomorrow.

And Russians are a problem. Tons of examples and teams are avoiding them like the plague. I'm honestly surprised this is even debatable.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I couldn't care less if MB was fired tomorrow.

And Russians are a problem. Tons of examples and teams are avoiding them like the plague. I'm honestly surprised this is even debatable.

There's a difference between drafting a junior player based in Russian and signing a Free Agent that has otherwise been playing for your org since 2001.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I won't offer up the source of the information, so I can't post it here as per the rules, but blaming Bergevin on the Markov situation is wrong, based on the actual information of the negotiation.

There is a very good reason why Markov left with such positive things to say about the organization and there's a very specific reason for the demands that he made.

Had Bergevin actually signed him, people would be more upset than they are that he didn't.

There was a one-year deal that Markov would have taken, but literally nobody here would have been happy with it. I hate that Markov is gone, but the alternative was less palatable.
It sounds like it was either overpay him or let him walk, a classic "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation.

Montreal is a tough hockey market; no doubt one of the reasons why Bergevin gets paid so much is because of the inevitable flak he will take for dealing with some pretty tough situations in the face of so many fans having unrealistic expectations for this club. Having a thick skin is a requirement for that job.

I think negotiating contracts is probably Bergevin's weakest point, but given the alternative in this case, I don't blame Bergevin for the loss of Markov even though it hurts to see him go.

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau
Please...

For some crowd, the only time Bergevin will be a pariah is the second he is finally let go, THEN all the Bergevin supporters will turn against him overnight.

We've seen it before.

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau

RandR

May 15, 2011
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-think-marc-bergevin-dreaming-big-canadiens/

According to Friedman, the reason Markov did not get signed is because MB told Markov to wait until September to see if he could do something big with the huge amount of capspace he had. Obviously, waiting that long will give a lot of trouble for Markov and his family so he decided to sign elsewhere.
I think it is perfectly reasonable for both Bergevin to take that approach and for Markov to decide how he did.

Even though us fans don't like the outcome right now, I really don't see a need to place blame on either side. The situation may ultimately work out well for both sides; only time will tell.

void

Jan 5, 2006

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau
I think it is perfectly reasonable for both Bergevin to take that approach and for Markov to decide how he did.

Even though us fans don't like the outcome right now, I really don't see a need to place blame on either side. The situation may ultimately work out well for both sides; only time will tell.

And you're wrong about that. Plain. Simple.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bergevin is such a ****.

It's actually a semi-rationnal thing to do with someone like, well, Streit. Gauthier (I think) did just that with MAB.

But it's not the same level of player. And also Markov's last chance to actually earn money for his craft.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-think-marc-bergevin-dreaming-big-canadiens/

According to Friedman, the reason Markov did not get signed is because MB told Markov to wait until September to see if he could do something big with the huge amount of capspace he had. Obviously, waiting that long will give a lot of trouble for Markov and his family so he decided to sign elsewhere.

If this turns out to be true, that approval rate already dismal will take a hit. But he had to sign Alzner long term on July 1st.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
It stops being rational the moment Bergevin turns around and proceeds to spend up 5.3M on Alzner and Streit.
And yet 700K more for Markov was a deal-breaker?

What a joke.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It stops being rational the moment Bergevin turns around and proceeds to give up 5.3M for Alzner and Streit.

So you're telling me the give or take 700K more Markov would have got was the deal-breaker in this scenario? Please.

No one knows the exact number Markov wanted for one year. All we heard from sources is he wanted $12 million for 2 years, for a one year deal he might've been looking for $7-8 million.. no one knows exactly, especially since Markov was his own agent the the Habs' don't leak that information.

Given he signed in the KHL for two years, my guess is Markov was looking to cash in on likely his last opportunity. Whether it was a 2 year deal at a bit lower of a price or signing for one year at a higher dollar value to make it worth it for him and his family.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Why didn't Markov sign here on July 1? Why did he need 27 days to finally decide to go 1 year?

Alzner would of been signed regardless, he didn't take Markov's cap space. Markov and Radu could of been signed on July 1 and Habs still would of signed Alzner.

UFA's decided to take their services else where it happens. MB can't force players. Issue is with 8.5 he needs to replace them.

I love Markov but eventually his career was going to end. If not this year then next year or the year after it was a reality that eventually had to be dealt with. At least the guy goes out on a high note rather than becoming another Pleks where everyone hates him and forgets all the good times he brought to the organization.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Why didn't Markov sign here on July 1? Why did he need 27 days to finally decide to go 1 year?

Alzner would of been signed regardless, he didn't take Markov's cap space. Markov and Radu could of been signed on July 1 and Habs still would of signed Alzner.

UFA's decided to take their services else where it happens. MB can't force players. Issue is with 8.5 he needs to replace them.

I love Markov but eventually his career was going to end. If not this year then next year or the year after it was a reality that eventually had to be dealt with. At least the guy goes out on a high note rather than becoming another Pleks where everyone hates him and forgets all the good times he brought to the organization.

Probably he wasn't being offered enough money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad