Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The vibe I get from Dubois is he’s one of those athletes who is ultra talented at their sport, but doesn’t truly love the game. Probably why he’s worn out his welcome on multiple teams, but teams keep taking chances on him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I didn't call Harris or Barron good, I called them, cheap. I think Barron has the potential to be good, although he may end up just being serviceable. I think Harris is a solid 3rd-pairing defensemen, with the potential to be a 2nd-pairing player. Harris doesn't having the same ceiling as Barron, but he is a safe choice.
Okay fair enough, I'm on nightshift and my brain is jello didn't really your post properly.:(

That being said neither guy really holds very much trade value at this point given their age and what we have seen and I was rather high on Barron but he just hasn't developed.

Reactions: PlushMinus

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The vibe I get from Dubois is he’s one of those athletes who is ultra talented at their sport, but doesn’t truly love the game. Probably why he’s worn out his welcome on multiple teams, but teams keep taking chances on him.
Daigle 2.0, but worse in skill.

Reactions: HabsAddict

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
I think the Caps win this trade. Dubois will likely bounce back…it was just that LA didn’t like something about his effort or attitude. They cut bait. The Caps will just let him play and leave him alone to work through his issues. There aren’t any expectations of him. The fan base is on Ovi goal watch.
LOL

"Let him play and leave him alone". 3 teams now have let him play right out of town. Lets see how it works out for the Caps.

Reactions: HabsAddict

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
That contract is simply an issue. Way too much money tied up with a borderline 2nd or 3rd line center. Second line center is tops 6 million. 3rd line center is tops 3 million. that is a 2.5 to 5 million sunk cost for him. But I understand the reasoning for doing the deal. Caps need a younger center to be one of the core players as the OVI's, Carlssons, Backmans, Ohsie's wind down.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
LOL

"Let him play and leave him alone". 3 teams now have let him play right out of town. Lets see how it works out for the Caps.
I think the fact that the Caps paid less than nothing for him might change the motivation.

This player is 26. And Darcy Kuemper is now the Kings number one goalie.

If I were a Kings fan, I’d be pissed.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I’ll be curious to see how Dubois will do in Washington because it’s not like Captain Yellowlace’s work ethic is legendary either. Who’s going to push Dubois? Team culture has been f***ed for a while over there but the Caps had started to clean out the locker room getting rid of Samsonov and Kuznetsov. Now they bring someone even worse on an unmovable contract.
Imagine insinuating that the guy who has the record for most 40 goal seasons doesn’t have a good work ethic.

Y’all still peddling this narrative that Ovechkin is lazy despite being maybe the most consistent performer ever in NHL history, seldom missing games, and showing very few signs of slowing down as he ages?

Try watching a game

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
I think the fact that the Caps paid less than nothing for him might change the motivation.

This player is 26. And Darcy Kuemper is now the Kings number one goalie.

If I were a Kings fan, I’d be pissed.
we will see.

If LA giving him an 8 year contract that made him the highest paid player in LA isn't enough motivation i don't see how getting traded for "less than nothing" is going to motivate him.

I was pissed what we gave up for PLD but i am not pissed he is off the team. Good luck to you guys in WSH he's young and maybe he can figure it out.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Nothing is as awful as PLD's contract. Most Kings' fans would have gave him up for a bag of pucks, we got a set of pads instead. We'll take it.
Insane to me that this is a common take on a guy who was with a team for only one year and has shown previously that he has high upside.

Damn I even gave Jagr more than a year before I moved on.

I watched Kuznetsov putz around the ice for 6 more seasons after his last good one before I was ready for him to go.

I actively rooted for a coaching change to see if that shook Mantha to be better after his two garbage seasons here.

Literally can’t imagine coming to the conclusion a guy is a waste after just one year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Insane to me that this is a common take on a guy who was with a team for only one year and has shown previously that he has high upside.

Damn I even gave Jagr more than a year before I moved on.

I watched Kuznetsov putz around the ice for 6 more seasons after his last good one before I was ready for him to go.

I actively rooted for a coaching change to see if that shook Mantha to be better after his two garbage seasons here.

Literally can’t imagine coming to the conclusion a guy is a waste after just one year.
Instead of a reason for skepticism, that should be a reason for serious concern - especially since there are other fanbases and other news reports that can confirm his issues.

There seem to be more than a few Caps fans that are thinking "oh, Kings fans are just bitter that it didn't work out". PLD is special in this regard, tho. Really.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Instead of a reason for skepticism, that should be a reason for serious concern - especially since there are other fanbases and other news reports that can confirm his issues.

There seem to be more than a few Caps fans that are thinking "oh, Kings fans are just bitter that it didn't work out". PLD is special in this regard, tho. Really.
As a Caps fan, yes, this player has a ton of warts. And probably, it won’t end with glory.

Caps fans think he’s worth the risk, largely because we got to dump Kuemper in the process. From a cap perspective, Kuemper was a bit of an anchor. Caps will pay their goalies less than $2m next year.

There seem to be a lot of Kings fans that think Kuemper will be better behind their defense. Maybe they’re right.

But I will say this, Kuemper and Lindgren played behind the same defense here in Washington. Kuemper was a dumpster fire. He was absolutely unplayable.

Kings already took the “L” on PLD. Caps take a gamble. It’s like we’re paying him $3m for the next three years. Hate the last four years, but we’ll see.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As a Caps fan, yes, this player has a ton of warts. And probably, it won’t end with glory.

Caps fans think he’s worth the risk, largely because we got to dump Kuemper in the process. From a cap perspective, Kuemper was a bit of an anchor. Caps will pay their goalies less than $2m next year.
I understand why Caps fans would deem it a worthwhile risk. I just don't think the full depth of the risk is appreciated.
There seem to be a lot of Kings fans that think Kuemper will be better behind their defense. Maybe they’re right.
I won't go so far as to say that I haven't seen any of that, but I will note that that is an extreme minority. The primary focus is "PLD is gone, hallellujah!" From what I've seen Kuemper barely even registers in their evaluation of the deal.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yup. Blake’s management of assets has been Milbury bad.

Just glad others are starting to see this…we’ve been saying it for years but to be fair it’s manifesting in worse and worse ways lately

Pretty sure we’re due for at least one other bomb this offseason involving Kaliyev Spence and our 1st for some 30 year old

I understand why Caps fans would deem it a worthwhile risk. I just don't think the full depth of the risk is appreciated.

I won't go so far as to say that I haven't seen any of that, but I will note that that is an extreme minority. The primary focus is "PLD is gone, hallellujah!" From what I've seen Kuemper barely even registers in their evaluation of the deal.

THANK YOU. This dude has been on our forum lecturing about this straw man repeatedly as well. I wish I could make up realities as strong as he can.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020

But I will say this, Kuemper and Lindgren played behind the same defense here in Washington. Kuemper was a dumpster fire. He was absolutely unplayable.

Kings already took the “L” on PLD. Caps take a gamble. It’s like we’re paying him $3m for the next three years. Hate the last four years, but we’ll see.
We also think it's worth the risk because we've spent the last 2 years spending 16+ million for Backstrom and Kuzy , and getting very little from it. We needed a center, preferably one with size who isn't old. Those just aren't available without trading your best prospects/picks plus more. So, we acquired one with issues. Will it work out, who knows, but it was worth the risk. A year ago multiple teams wanted to trade for this player after a couple of pretty good years in Winnipeg, it's why L.A. traded some good assets for him and signed him to a huge deal(that Winnipeg would've also signed him to if he'd have agreed). He turns 26 in 2 days, at the same age people were saying J.T. Miller was a guy with attitude issues who was about to go to his 3rd team. If he can come close to finding J.T. Miller's level of play, than it's a huge win.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

King obviously have lost huge value on the assets we invested in PL but I'm still amazed anyone took the risk on trading for him.

I could understand it if he only had 2-3 years left and would probably have agreed to giving him another year here to try and sort it out. 7 years though is a huge risk. I'm elated that we cut bait.

As for Kuemper, I doubt he will get back to his best, however LA has a history of resurrecting dead netminders, so who knows.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
"Maybe the trade out of Columbus will motivate him."

"Maybe the trade to LA and his big contract will motivate him.

"Maybe the trade to Washington will motivate him."

He has the 46th highest cap hit in the league. And despite favorable deployments, he was 192nd in scoring.

He was the 6th highest forward in powerplay time on tbe team, with 2:07/game. He averaged 0:03 on the PK. He had 8 powerplay points all season. Most of the reason his time went down was because Arvidsson returned for the final 18 games of the regular season.

Yes, of course, he could turn things around. But when will he be expected to motivate himself? At what point do fans of teams receiving PLD realize that he's the common denominator of things "not working out"? And why is it that with PLD, he "just had a bad year" but with Kuemper, he's "a bad goalie"?

Kings fans don't see Kuemper as the answer to anything except "what will it take to get out of the major risk of another 7 years of what we just saw?" And frankly, if Kuemper does play that badly and the Kings miss the playoffs, maybe it will get Blake and Robitaille ousted.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
congrats to LAK

Up until this moment, there was outside/+ chance desire/need to move pld was SO STRONG, attaching Byfield would have to be considered.
HAVE TO
at least consider
not nec do, but certainly consider

W/this inexplicable deal, that is no longer a factor
If By gets paid, no reason to doubt otherwise, he will remain in LA for a long career

congrats

• Haha
Reactions: Bone Density

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
EF said two other teams were interested in PLD. Boston and Montreal.
Apparently the Habs offered a sack of potatoes and two buckets of poutine.

I seriously, seriously doubt the Habs made any offer. We know that if Dubois does his Dubois thing, it's going to be a circus in Montreal. Hughes is not DumpsterDiver and has a clear, hard core vision for the Habs.

Dubois clown act was NOT going to cut it...nor welcomed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad