Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well, I hope in a couple years he is happy for the opportunity to play for the Habs.
Most habs fans, have never wanted anything to do with this guy....

Becaue the NMC hasn't kicked in yet.

In a few days, this contract becomes even worse than it is right now.
Hard to imagine, eh......................brutal.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Because it's easier to ignore the fans that aren't telling you what you want to hear than it is to actually look into things.

Ironically, it reminds me a lot of how, over a decade ago, a handful of particularly persistent Kings fans would keep getting really pissed off and in severe denial mode any time The Former #7's tenure here came up. Of course, based on that example, I would have expected PLD to do extremely well there, not find new lows. Never really can tell with some people.
I was one who admittedly questioned feedback from Columbus fans. It worked out for the Kings for sure, and in retrospect, I get where Blue Jackets fans are coming from.

I think with Carter, he was pouting over the trade and being separated from his BFF. Because he was very good with LA until age caught up to him.

I see your point though. I just think with PLD, he had zero reason to pout. Heck, maybe the LA lifestyle and casualness had him feeling too comfortable? Either way, getting out of Winnipeg and a massive pay increase, along with less media pressure that comes from inside Canada - he just had no reason to pout.

And I've said it many times already (not directed at you, but for posterity) - McLellan did all he could to get through to him before being fired. Hiller put him on a gold star system when he had good shifts. He still played his way down the lineup, and bad enough, that Blake would rather not risk being tied to him for the next 7 years, and taking a chance on Kuemper for the next 3.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I was one who admittedly questioned feedback from Columbus fans. It worked out for the Kings for sure, and in retrospect, I get where Blue Jackets fans are coming from.

I think with Carter, he was pouting over the trade and being separated from his BFF. Because he was very good with LA until age caught up to him.

I see your point though. I just think with PLD, he had zero reason to pout. Heck, maybe the LA lifestyle and casualness had him feeling too comfortable? Either way, getting out of Winnipeg and a massive pay increase, along with less media pressure that comes from inside Canada - he just had no reason to pout.

And I've said it many times already (not directed at you, but for posterity) - McLellan did all he could to get through to him before being fired. Hiller put him on a gold star system when he had good shifts. He still played his way down the lineup, and bad enough, that Blake would rather not risk being tied to him for the next 7 years, and taking a chance on Kuemper for the next 3.
Statistically, Carter was still productive with Columbus. He just didn't want to be there.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Yeah, PLD's kind of gone next-level. As much as I can't stand The Former #7, he did at least manage to restrain himself to only the one team quit on to Above And Beyond levels. PLD couldn't even clear that bar.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
...you are aware that that's a posted shot he did deliberately to mock Toronto media, right? I think it was Steve Simmons specifically but I'm not certain.
im sure his medication is a factor but kessel was also notorious for his diet.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
im sure his medication is a factor but kessel was also notorious for his diet.
I'm aware of the notoriety; I also know that it was blown so far out of proportion by Toronto media as to make them a self-parody.

But whatever; this isn't a thread about him anyways. :dunno:

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Don't tell others to stop. It's an open chat where anybody can chime in. You think he is horrible, some others don't. Jets wanted to extend him and have a good idea on what kind of player he is. Caps just traded for him. Not everyone is on the Dubois hate bandwagon.

I'm a Habs fans but not French. I live in Halifax. So your defending French guys narrative is not accurate.
You don't have to be French to be an obnoxious 'must have french player' poster, as you so poignantly prove.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I really don't think WSH is getting a 1st and/or a good young player for PLD even at 1-2M discount.

well the timing and discount would matter I suppose but I doubt that the capitals trade him for guys like Harris or Barron who are literally looking like fringe NHLers at this point.
I'd have to think about it more. Guys like Harris and Barron I'm sure would be on the table.
Sure because even on a non playoff team they don't fit into the Habs future.
I also think IF Habs are interested, they would trade for him this summer before PLD has ability to prove himself again. While his value is still low. If PLD rebounds and pots 60+ points, I doubt WSH would want to trade him and would rather keep him at that point.
You are probably right here.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Capitals are a basement team next year anyway. But I also think they give Hunter Shepherd a chance between the pipes next season considering he's been solid with the Bears.

As for the Kings, Kuemper isn't a bad pick-up. W trade by the Kings though in the context of getting rid of such a bad contract. They got the cup winner. :sarcasm:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Capitals are a basement team next year anyway. But I also think they give Hunter Shepherd a chance between the pipes next season considering he's been solid with the Bears.

As for the Kings, Kuemper isn't a bad pick-up. W trade by the Kings though in the context of getting rid of such a bad contract. They got the cup winner. :sarcasm:
I think the Shepherd angle is interesting even if not exact. The Caps have several goalies that need NHL time and Kuemper simply lost the job to Lindgren.

Regardless, PLD is welcome talent on a team largely devoid of it and the pressure will be basically nil. I imagine he’ll easily vie for Top 6 minutes and PP1 time. The term is problematic but the Caps have to be able to ice NHL-level players through a rebuild and PLD is serviceable.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The Kings actually gained some capspace and got rid of a ridiculous contract.
Sure, the Kings have saved themselves some money but I think to be completely honest you need to look at what PLD cost them when they acquired him from Winnipeg, and not just that they've gotten out from under a (probably) bad contract.

Vilardi might end up producing around the same level as PLD.
Iafallo seems like a very consistent 3rd line guy
Kupari looks like he might not pan out in the NHL (1st rounder 2018).

I have very little faith that PLD is going to succeed with the Caps but there is nothing to be done except wait and see. I'll also be interested to see if Kuemper can bounce back after a very average season with the Caps where he played himself out of a starting role.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Im wondering if Huberdeau is possibly movable now because nobody thought that Dubois contract was movable.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
12 months ago. Now shitting on the Caps because we paid less than pennies on the dollar.

There is only one loser, it’s the LA Kings.
What are the chances he gives us less than what the combined hit of Backstrom & Kuznetsov's contracts contributed? Who knows if he works out in any way, but we've been paying 16+ million for little to no contribution from the top 2 center positions for the last 2 years.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
So they finally got rid of Kuznetsov but then went out and got this guy instead?
Kuznetsov has been worse, with the wrong attitude and drug problem. Thank goodness he had his best year in 2018 to be a huge offensive contributor to the win Cup for the Caps. PLD is 7 years younger, you get the impression he's a nice guy but misunderstood, he hasn't reached his pinnacle(Kuzy did winning the Cup). Caps have experience dealing with Semin/Kuzy in regard to attitude issues. So they are somewhat prepared go about things better with PLD.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad