Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kuznetsov has been worse, with the wrong attitude and drug problem. Thank goodness he had his best year in 2018 to be a huge offensive contributor to the win Cup for the Caps. PLD is 7 years younger, you get the impression he's a nice guy but misunderstood, he hasn't reached his pinnacle(Kuzy did winning the Cup). Caps have experience dealing with Semin/Kuzy in regard to attitude issues. So they are somewhat prepared go about things better with PLD.
Kuznetsov was ten times the player PLD ever was and if he can get his shit together he has more value. PLD has shit attitude and whatever “pinnacle” you think he has has to come from getting his hands dirty and his feet moving. Two things he has ZERO interest in doing. I don’t know where you’re getting this rosy picture of PLD but there was never any signs of it on the Kings and he had every opportunity to display it.

You can’t win with shitty attitude and unbelievable laziness regardless of how talented you think he is.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
It's less the price you paid and more what specifically you bought.
The Kings bought it, than gave it to us. Our return was an unplayable cap dump.

I’ll take our chances. Kuempers last win was February, and we made the postseason.

Reactions: HabsQC

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The Kings bought it, than gave it to us. Our return was an unplayable cap dump.

I’ll take our chances. Kuempers last win was February, and we made the postseason.
I think people might be underestimating just how terrible Darcy was last year too lol...you might be sending him to the AHL to make room for an actual goalie.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Fourth team already for a 25 yo... not a good look for a player drafted 3rd overall
Dylan Strome was also a 3rd overall draft pick that joined the Capitals after playing for multiple teams at the age of 25. Dubois was the Kings leader in primary assists per 60 minutes last season and is an immediate upgrade in the faceoff circle over McMichael and Lapierre. The salary and term are ugly now but his best years may very well be ahead of him and with the salary cap on the rise it may not look nearly as bad in a few years if he turns things around the way Strome did.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
well the timing and discount would matter I suppose but I doubt that the capitals trade him for guys like Harris or Barron who are literally looking like fringe NHLers at this point.
Montreal would need Washington to retain a lot of salary for a PLD trade to be considered, while the Caps would trade PLD at full salary in a heartbeat for Harris or Barron. That might not sound like a great return, but it would mean Washington was able to get rid of Darcy Kuemper for a cheap young defensemen.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Anyways with players like Backstrom LiTR
Carlson Oveckhin 2 years left
Oshie 1 year

Washington don't have that many problem with salary cap. That's alot of salary gone in 2 years
Oshie himself has acknowledged that he may not be able to play anymore due to long term back problems, so be may also be on LTIR for most of the season.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Im wondering if Huberdeau is possibly movable now because nobody thought that Dubois contract was movable.
PLD had a bad year in LA but was a 60 point player in Winnipeg his two seasons there. He’s also 25 and plays center. Huberdeau is 31. I think the position and age difference make them different situations. Not saying Huberdeau isn’t movable but the Caps have PLD signed until he’s 32 whereas Huberdeau is signed until he’s 38 and is also making $2M more per year.

Reactions: Ciao

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
PLD had a bad year in LA but was a 60 point player in Winnipeg his two seasons there. He’s also 25 and plays center. Huberdeau is 31. I think the position and age difference make them different situations. Not saying Huberdeau isn’t movable but the Caps have PLD signed until he’s 32 whereas Huberdeau is signed until he’s 38 and is also making $2M more per year.
Huberdeau also has a complete NMC that is already in effect, whereas PLD has no clauses prior to July 1.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
"plays center"

Reactions: Shark Finn

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I defended him for awhile, line mates, usage, etc. Some truth there but overall he is highly overrated. I do think he can put up 60 points again but I think that is who he is.

Reactions: funky

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
I think the Caps win this trade. Dubois will likely bounce back…it was just that LA didn’t like something about his effort or attitude. They cut bait. The Caps will just let him play and leave him alone to work through his issues. There aren’t any expectations of him. The fan base is on Ovi goal watch.

Reactions: Ciao

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kuznetsov was ten times the player PLD ever was and if he can get his shit together he has more value. PLD has shit attitude and whatever “pinnacle” you think he has has to come from getting his hands dirty and his feet moving. Two things he has ZERO interest in doing. I don’t know where you’re getting this rosy picture of PLD but there was never any signs of it on the Kings and he had every opportunity to display it.

You can’t win with shitty attitude and unbelievable laziness regardless of how talented you think he is.
You obviously don't know how the Capitals operate...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
All I can say that the Habs team and fans are safe for one more season...

Dubois must be the most written about player on HF. For the wrong reasons.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Montreal would need Washington to retain a lot of salary for a PLD trade to be considered, while the Caps would trade PLD at full salary in a heartbeat for Harris or Barron. That might not sound like a great return, but it would mean Washington was able to get rid of Darcy Kuemper for a cheap young defensemen.
I agree that they might consider as a salary dump but I doubt they are doing this kind of 3 dimensional chess and actually want to keep PLD warts and all.

Also it's a stretch to call either Harris or Barron " good young Dmen" as they are looking like depth Dmen at best right now.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I agree that they might consider as a salary dump but I doubt they are doing this kind of 3 dimensional chess and actually want to keep PLD warts and all.

Also it's a stretch to call either Harris or Barron " good young Dmen" as they are looking like depth Dmen at best right now.
I didn't call Harris or Barron good, I called them cheap. I think Barron has the potential to be good, although he may end up just being serviceable. I think Harris is a solid 3rd-pairing defensemen, with the potential to be a 2nd-pairing player. Harris doesn't having the same ceiling as Barron, but he is a safe choice.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad