Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Jul 6, 2016
Of course, Alzner has not 50% f Markov talent, but...

With Beaulieu, Emelin and Sergachev all gone, MB needed to sign Alzner. Not to replace Markov, but to replace one of the three others.

So stop compairing both players. THe $ allowed to Alzner are the ones which were paid for Emelin.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So now Alzner is going to be the scapegoat for Markov going to the KHL.

Alzner was not meant to replace Markov. Markov and Alzner could have both been on the habs blueline just like Markov and Emelin were on the habs blueline. Thats why MB offered Markov a contract on July 1. If he signed then both Alzner and Markov are here.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
This is the list of UFA D in 2018.

Humor me for a second and explain to me why giving him 2 years was such a deal breaker.

Who among this list were you hoping to replace him with in 1 year's time? Or is the plan to have Victor Mete come straight out of juniors to play top pairing minutes? Because that's about our only hope at LD.

And it's not like we have the assets to acquire one without creating another massive hole to fill (Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty). You're not getting a 22-25 minute a night LD for Brendan Gallagher + one of our weak group of prospects or a mid/late first.

So what exactly is the cap space Markov would be eating in a year's time preventing us from doing? Even if say John Tavares somehow decides he wants to come to MTL in 1 year, we're easily able to do that by letting Pleks walk, buying out or trading Shaw with a sweetener and trading Gallagher for a younger, cheaper forward. 8.5M we already have + 13.5M from those three - 4M raise to Price - 2M raise to Danault = 16M + however much the cap goes up for Markov + Tavares.

And that's in the dream scenario that has a 0.1% chance of happening. In any other situation, the numbers aren't even close.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

#FireBergevin
#FireBergevin
#FireBergevin
#FireBergevin

Markov,Subban,Sergachev,Beaulieu all gone LOL

Let's see how Alzner can move that puck :help: :cry:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Of course, Alzner has not 50% f Markov talent, but...

With Beaulieu, Emelin and Sergachev all gone, MB needed to sign Alzner. Not to replace Markov, but to replace one of the three others.

So stop compairing both players. THe $ allowed to Alzner are the ones which were paid for Emelin.

The team did not have to replace Emelin. Remember how happy we were he got selected by Vegas? Because we needed to clear his cap. He was a third pairing defenceman getting paid like a top four. What does Bergevin do? Gets a guy who was a 7D on Washington last year and pays him like a top four!

As of today the club has replaced Markov and Beaulieu with Streit and Schlemko. Pardon me if I'm not impressed.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Humor me for a second and explain to me why giving him 2 years was such a deal breaker.

Who among this list were you hoping to replace him with in 1 year's time? Or is the plan to have Victor Mete come straight out of juniors to play top pairing minutes? Because that's about our only hope at LD.

And it's not like we have the assets to acquire one without creating another massive hole to fill (Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty). You're not getting a 22-25 minute a night LD for Brendan Gallagher + one of our weak group of prospects or a mid/late first.

So what exactly is the cap space Markov would be eating in a year's time preventing us from doing? Even if say John Tavares somehow decides he wants to come to MTL in 1 year, we're easily able to do that by letting Pleks walk, buying out or trading Shaw with a sweetener and trading Gallagher for a younger, cheaper forward. 8.5M we already have + 13.5M from those three - 4M raise to Price - 2M raise to Danault = 16M + however much the cap goes up for Markov + Tavares.

And that's in the dream scenario that has a 0.1% chance of happening. In any other situation, the numbers aren't even close.

To be fair, John Carlson is on that list...

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

That's what I never understood.

Everyone thought a 2nd year was so egregious but I just don't see it. Markov regressing to the point where he's just plain useless in 17/18 and can't keep a roster spot seems extremely unlikely. I realize that people say "Its 18/19 we need to worry about" but that's not true. If he didn't regress to the point of uselessness in 18 we'd be bringing him back in 19 on the same contract in all likelihood, which nullifies the risk of a 2 year deal.

More than that though, even if we signed him for a 2nd year and it backfired hilariously on us, wouldn't matter. It would be the same as not bringing him back. We'd be screwed either way unless we can magically pick up a top pairing puck moving dman. Which of course our GM wouldn't be able to do.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Markov already stated he would have played on 1 year deal.

Just because he asked for two does not mean he turned down one.

Unless you are an MB apologist of course. ( ;

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

:laugh: Oh, I see the plan now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

No see he totally asked for $8 million for the one season or else he'd be a Hab. It had absolutely nothing to do with Bergevin and his ego that we saw on display just weeks prior with Radulov, offering deals, pulling them, saying he doesn't expect loyalty, buy a dog if you do, then trying to give him that deal back too late.

Nah it had to be greedy Markov.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
No see he totally asked for $8 million for the one season or else he'd be a Hab. It had absolutely nothing to do with Bergevin and his ego that we saw on display just weeks prior with Radulov, offering deals, pulling them, saying he doesn't expect loyalty, buy a dog if you do, then trying to give him that deal back too late.

Nah it had to be greedy Markov.

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe Bergevin may not have even offered Marky a contract.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Markov made it clear this isn't the end of Markov in Montreal with the Habs. Man, you peeps are pissy today.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB

And how much $$ was he prepared to accept in a one year deal?

You see, that's relevant.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Seeing how it took 25 days to sign Streit and it wasn't official till the 27th I think that the offer was still on the table. Not to mention they didn't start negotiations on June 30th there was plenty of time to talk about it.

I am sad to see Markov go and upset that both parties couldn't come to an agreement but as UFA thats Markovs right let him enjoy his retirement tour.

MB needs to spend his 8.5 because if he doesn't then yes it will be a fail regardless of the good he did at the start of the summer.

At what point will the goal posts stop moving - by when should he spend it? Until when is saving it OK?

And we both agree that he should not just spend it for the sake of spending it and it has to be quality. So with the premise that leaving last season, Habs needed a Top 6 center and a Top 2 D - and given how the off-season has played out (and not even counting that Habs lost there top prospect for a real good young player, but one who now has to cover the loss of Radulov, making the NHL level a wash), Habs still need those two and how would you propose filling those 2 spots with 8.5 million.

Personally, I think MB was actually really counting on Markov staying and at a real discount due to age, but that blew up in his face.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
The thing is that evaluating these moves would only be possible with a complete record and timeline of every offer from both camps. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic expectation.

So you can either believe that Bergevin is deliberately sabotaging his team and legacy to troll a few internet whiners, or that he and his advisors (Dudley, Timmins, Julien, etc.) genuinely determined that signing Markov at his asking price would be detrimental to the teams success.

That's it.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
At what point will the goal posts stop moving - by when should he spend it? Until when is saving it OK?

Opening day. Can't go into the season with that cap. Until MB pulls the rabbit out of his hat he has ruined the good moves he did this summer.

And we both agree that he should not just spend it for the sake of spending it and it has to be quality. So with the premise that leaving last season, Habs needed a Top 6 center and a Top 2 D - and given how the off-season has played out (and not even counting that Habs lost there top prospect for a real good young player, but one who now has to cover the loss of Radulov, making the NHL level a wash), Habs still need those two and how would you propose filling those 2 spots with 8.5 million.

drouin replacing Radu though sideways move was at least a replacement. With his 8.5 its up to MB to either get a D to play with Weber or a C, or even another winger as I am not 100% confident in Galley. How he does it its up to him. I would explore Giroux or JVR/Bozak. There are a couple other teams close to the cap like Wash/Det as well. Thats up to MB. But he started with a good summer like I said, but losing the 2 UFA's and not replacing their available cap will ruin the good he did.

Personally, I think MB was actually really counting on Markov staying and at a real discount due to age, but that blew up in his face.

I agree with this. I also think MB thought both Radu and Markov would come back to the contracts he offered. Both chose not to. But the Habs aren't a budget team so going into a season with 8.5 available is not acceptable.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Markov made it clear this isn't the end of Markov in Montreal with the Habs. Man, you peeps are pissy today.

LOL, you really want him after this year or next when he is 40 or 41?

might as well just keep Streit at that point

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Opening day. Can't go into the season with that cap. Until MB pulls the rabbit out of his hat he has ruined the good moves he did this summer.

drouin replacing Radu though sideways move was at least a replacement. With his 8.5 its up to MB to either get a D to play with Weber or a C, or even another winger as I am not 100% confident in Galley. How he does it its up to him. I would explore Giroux or JVR/Bozak. There are a couple other teams close to the cap like Wash/Det as well. Thats up to MB. But he started with a good summer like I said, but losing the 2 UFA's and not replacing their available cap will ruin the good he did.

I agree with this. I also think MB thought both Radu and Markov would come back to the contracts he offered. Both chose not to. But the Habs aren't a budget team so going into a season with 8.5 available is not acceptable.

It's not like he offers Radulov a pittance, though -- Same money and term as he decided to take in Dallas. Appears to me that Bergevin is prepared to use more of that remaining Cap room on a quality player (Radulov)/upgrade up front (C?).

Jul 6, 2016
The team did not have to replace Emelin. Remember how happy we were he got selected by Vegas? Because we needed to clear his cap. He was a third pairing defenceman getting paid like a top four. What does Bergevin do? Gets a guy who was a 7D on Washington last year and pays him like a top four!

As of today the club has replaced Markov and Beaulieu with Streit and Schlemko. Pardon me if I'm not impressed.

Beaulieu HAD to go, whatever you want to look at it.

Markov should had been back, I agree, but the season is still two full months away and lots can happen. MB has 8,5 million $ to play with.

Alzner was NOT the #7D man in Washington... :shakehead:shakehead... You're totally in the left field on that one !!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad