Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Jul 6, 2016
Opening day. Can't go into the season with that cap. Until MB pulls the rabbit out of his hat he has ruined the good moves he did this summer.

drouin replacing Radu though sideways move was at least a replacement. With his 8.5 its up to MB to either get a D to play with Weber or a C, or even another winger as I am not 100% confident in Galley. How he does it its up to him. I would explore Giroux or JVR/Bozak. There are a couple other teams close to the cap like Wash/Det as well. Thats up to MB. But he started with a good summer like I said, but losing the 2 UFA's and not replacing their available cap will ruin the good he did.

I agree with this. I also think MB thought both Radu and Markov would come back to the contracts he offered. Both chose not to. But the Habs aren't a budget team so going into a season with 8.5 available is not acceptable.

Drouin is way younger than Radu, and has lots more offensive production potential, already.

Why would the habs don't start the season with 8,5 million $ UNDER the cap. Many, many teams just do that.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Drouin is way younger than Radu, and has lots more offensive production potential, already.

You could not crush Radu like a bug on the boards. Too smart and strong.

Drouin? Regardless of fan banter, I'm honestly concerned about his physical safety on our team.

Jul 6, 2016
You could not crush Radu like a bug on the boards. Too smart and strong.

Drouin? Regardless of fan banter, I'm honestly concerned about his physical safety on our team.

We could say that about 75% of our forwards.

Drouin is a very good skater and can turn on a dime in the O zone. I am not worried at all. He has an excellent vision of the play.

He was the main target of every when in the Q. These star players can find ways to protect themselves.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What does this even mean?

This means it is silly to argue about too high a price for a year(or two) for a still valuable PMD when the team has no trouble welding itself to an 8 year 10.5 per deal to a goaltender.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
This means it is silly to argue about too high a price for a year(or two) for a still valuable PMD when the team has no trouble welding itself to an 8 year 10.5 per deal to a goaltender.

I do agree that in the very short term, it made sense to pay Markov, although who knows what else we could have done with the extra cash -- it would definitely have been an overpayment for Markov, at this point in time, and it's not like he's been taking hometown discounts with the Habs the whole way considering his injuries. Point being, as much as I wanted Markov to stay, he was being unreasonable relative to how critical he is AT THIS POINT.

Price will be Price for 8 years + he's earned it (as Markov had earned his previous contracts). It's like arguing for a 9th and 10th year of Price at 10.5. Not sure at that point I'd be so inclined.

At the end of the day, though, doesn't look like MB had any other plans, so yeah, it was a loss for the Habs. If I'm wrong, and MB somehow fixes this by magically acquiring some form of replacement (it need not be a PMD), I will be so friggin happy.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Are you seriously trying to compare Price's contract to Markov's ask?? That's not even comparing apples to oranges, that's comparing apples to orangutans. Where do you even start to discuss this? Nowhere, because a discussion on this can only be had in silly city.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Opening day. Can't go into the season with that cap. Until MB pulls the rabbit out of his hat he has ruined the good moves he did this summer.

drouin replacing Radu though sideways move was at least a replacement. With his 8.5 its up to MB to either get a D to play with Weber or a C, or even another winger as I am not 100% confident in Galley. How he does it its up to him. I would explore Giroux or JVR/Bozak. There are a couple other teams close to the cap like Wash/Det as well. Thats up to MB. But he started with a good summer like I said, but losing the 2 UFA's and not replacing their available cap will ruin the good he did.

I agree with this. I also think MB thought both Radu and Markov would come back to the contracts he offered. Both chose not to. But the Habs aren't a budget team so going into a season with 8.5 available is not acceptable.

Underwhelming options. Giroux contract could go full albatross sooner rather than later. The Leaf players would cost assets to acquire and then they leave next year as UFAs. I fail to see why signing Radulov would be such a hardship. Trading assets for one year of Bozak or JVR would be poor asset management. Taking on G's contract at 8+ (along with the loss of assets) is inferior to just keeping Radulov.

Bergevin does not have the assets to acquire a good top 6 C, unless he wants to gut the team of future high picks. No assemblage of DLR, Mac, Scherbak, Hudon, etc. is going to fetch Duchene, Giroux, etc. There's nothing left in UFA worth spending on, though I'd be tempted to give Jagr a try at a mill or two.

I suppose Zetterberg is something of an option but that will still cost picks/prospects. I don't see any real viable options to put this cap space to very good use, the best way to have utilized that 9M excess would have been to resign Radu or Markov.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I do agree that in the very short term, it made sense to pay Markov, although who knows what else we could have done with the extra cash -- it would definitely have been an overpayment for Markov, at this point in time, and it's not like he's been taking hometown discounts with the Habs the whole way considering his injuries. Point being, as much as I wanted Markov to stay, he was being unreasonable relative to how critical he is AT THIS POINT.

Price will be Price for 8 years + he's earned it (as Markov had earned his previous contracts). It's like arguing for a 9th and 10th year of Price at 10.5. Not sure at that point I'd be so inclined.

At the end of the day, though, doesn't look like MB had any other plans, so yeah, it was a loss for the Habs. If I'm wrong, and MB somehow fixes this by magically acquiring some form of replacement (it need not be a PMD), I will be so friggin happy.

Has he really earned it though? $10.5M cap hit for 8 years? I am a fan of a guy even back in the Halak days but the Habs have yet to sniff a Cup with him in net, not totally his fault or anything, and the extra cap space lost down the road may come into play or may not if this year is any indication.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Underwhelming options. Giroux contract could go full albatross sooner rather than later. The Leaf players would cost assets to acquire and then they leave next year as UFAs. I fail to see why signing Radulov would be such a hardship. Trading assets for one year of Bozak or JVR would be poor asset management. Taking on G's contract at 8+ (along with the loss of assets) is inferior to just keeping Radulov.

For Giroux, I would want PHI to retain. I know its a long shot but thats what I would explore. Giroux at 7.25x5 is better than Radu at 6.25x5 since Giroux is a C and he had 4 more points than Radu last year. JVR/Bozak from my understanding leafs are at the cap and have to sign Conner Brown. So I would try to entice TOR to move them for picks/prospects. MB and I would of signed Radu at the contract he was given on July 1, but he decided to take his services elsewhere. Can't force a UFA to resign with you ask Patrick Marleau and the Sharks or Bonino and the Pens.

Bergevin does not have the assets to acquire a good top 6 C, unless he wants to gut the team of future high picks. No assemblage of DLR, Mac, Scherbak, Hudon, etc. is going to fetch Duchene, Giroux, etc. There's nothing left in UFA worth spending on, though I'd be tempted to give Jagr a try at a mill or two.

I suppose Zetterberg is something of an option but that will still cost picks/prospects. I don't see any real viable options to put this cap space to very good use, the best way to have utilized that 9M excess would have been to resign Radu or Markov.

Its up to MB to pull that rabbit out of his hat. I would stay away from Z to long of a commitment for to old of a player he can fall off at any moment. Though I am sure if he has a good season all the fantasy traders will come in and say why didn't we trade for him.

Yes that 9 M could of been spent on Radu/Markov, and MB wanted to thats why he made them both contract offers. They refused and went somewhere else. Thats the UFA's right.

The team as of today IMHO can still have a very strong season but using that money for another impact player will help the team. Up to MB to get it done. 2 years ago in September Pens got a guy who pushed them over the top for a bunch of AHL guys and a few picks. Trades can happen late into the off season.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Why would the habs don't start the season with 8,5 million $ UNDER the cap. Many, many teams just do that.

I bet Drouin out produces Radu this season, but Drouin + Radu would of been even better. BUt Radu decided he would rather play in Dallas than Montreal can't do much about that.

As far as having 8.5 in space. We are the habs not a budget team. It doesn't make sense to leave that much open. Odds are MB can't find someone to fill the spot but then I will still say he ruined his good start to the summer by leaving some big holes on the team and having the ability to fill it.

Jul 6, 2016
No drama on my part. You are just reading into my words. None of out Dmen can generate assists like Markov can and that inability will be evident once the games are played. Markov can hit 40 assists in an 82 game season.

His PP points will be taken by a guy like Drouin who's gonna play on the point with Weber.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
For Giroux, I would want PHI to retain. I know its a long shot but thats what I would explore. Giroux at 7.25x5 is better than Radu at 6.25x5 since Giroux is a C and he had 4 more points than Radu last year. JVR/Bozak from my understanding leafs are at the cap and have to sign Conner Brown. So I would try to entice TOR to move them for picks/prospects.

Yes that 9 M could of been spent on Radu/Markov, and MB wanted to thats why he made them both contract offers. They refused and went somewhere else. Thats the UFA's right.

Price on Giroux will be reasonably steep, and if Philly is forced to retain, well, then we have to keep adding. Bear in mind Philly's position with Giroux is unlike Toronto basically wanting Kessel gone no matter what. Figure 1st, Juulsen and then keep adding, if they'd even listen to such an offer given the absence of any real high end asset in the package.

I doubt it would have taken 5 X 7 for Radulov but for argument let's say that's what was needed. I still maintain keeping your own guy at 7M and not losing any picks > trading 1st, 2nd, plus prospect(s) for Giroux at 7-ish.

The Markov thing is getting borderline silly now. Markov has a presser where he stated he would have taken one year, you think he was looking for 8 or 9M? Markov at 5-6M for one year as our #2 defenseman beats standing around with 9M in cap and nothing to spend it on. I sincerely doubt that Markov, having stated he only wanted to play for Montreal, would turn up his nose at 5-6M to go to Russia. More likely, Bergy had a dollar figure in the 3-4M range (recall he claimed he had cash for both if they accepted his terms and we know he belatedly went to 5 X 6.25M on Radu which leaves less than 4 for Markov) and never came off it. I'd propose it was less Markov choosing to leave than Bergy being too rigid and not sweetening the pot a bit for a player we really needed. Especially once he got to the point of 9M in cap and no players to sign.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Price on Giroux will be reasonably steep, and if Philly is forced to retain, well, then we have to keep adding. Bear in mind Philly's position with Giroux is unlike Toronto basically wanting Kessel gone no matter what. Figure 1st, Juulsen and then keep adding, if they'd even listen to such an offer given the absence of any real high end asset in the package.

Well for Giroux its just a name, if it becomes to expensive then walk away. No need to go all Gomez here for Giroux. But he fills a need on this team and is overpaid so PHI might have an interest in clearing out a lot of cap. Who knows maybe they want to make a play for JT next year.

I doubt it would have taken 5 X 7 for Radulov but for argument let's say that's what was needed. I still maintain keeping your own guy at 7M and not losing any picks > trading 1st, 2nd, plus prospect(s) for Giroux at 7-ish.

I am just going on what Radu signed. 6.25x5. Giroux has 8.25x5. Being younger and a C and having more points than Radu I think is worth a premium. not 2 Million, but 1 Million yes. And sure I would of prefered to keep Radu but he chose to sign in Dallas. Ship sailed UFA's leave teams every year. Thats their choice.

The Markov thing is getting borderline silly now. Markov has a presser where he stated he would have taken one year, you think he was looking for 8 or 9M? Markov at 5-6M for one year as our #2 defenseman beats standing around with 9M in cap and nothing to spend it on. I sincerely doubt that Markov, having stated he only wanted to play for Montreal, would turn up his nose at 5-6M to go to Russia. More likely, Bergy had a dollar figure in the 3-4M range (recall he claimed he had cash for both if they accepted his terms and we know he belatedly went to 5 X 6.25M on Radu which leaves less than 4 for Markov) and never came off it. I'd propose it was less Markov choosing to leave than Bergy being too rigid and not sweetening the pot a bit for a player we really needed. Especially once he got to the point of 9M in cap and no players to sign.

I do think Markov was looking for north of 6 on a 1 year deal. He wanted 12 on 2 years so I don't think he would settle for less than half of the total money he earned. WE wont ever know, but lets see if we find out how much AK is paying him.

I agree MB had a number, but I don't think it was 3-4. I am thinking more 4-6. It seems to me MB is still trying to work on something and thats why he told Markov to wait till Sept/Oct to see how much cap he had left.

For me there are 2 ways to look at it. Fan perspective is just pay Markov whatever he wants doesn't matter. The other perspective is Markov is 38 and will probably play a reduced role and 4-6 is fair value for that and allows the team to sitll have some cap to do other moves. Along with Markov sticking to 2 years for 20 days and then finally coming down to 1 year (but at a different cap). So I get Markov wanting to max his $$$ and do whats best for him, but I also understand why MB had a number and why he offered that to Markov on July 1 and why he would want to stick to it.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I bet Drouin out produces Radu this season, but Drouin + Radu would of been even better. BUt Radu decided he would rather play in Dallas than Montreal can't do much about that.

As far as having 8.5 in space. We are the habs not a budget team. It doesn't make sense to leave that much open. Odds are MB can't find someone to fill the spot but then I will still say he ruined his good start to the summer by leaving some big holes on the team and having the ability to fill it.

The cap space is a nice bonus that just opens new options.

Bergevin knows where are the question marks on the team and where it can be enhanced. He knew it before Radulov and Markov walked, before that cap space appeared. Signing only Radulov would have left less than 3M under cap.

So, I'm pretty sure the planning includes one of Galchenyuk or Drouin at C. Or, Galchenyuk (or another good winger) will be part of a deal for a top6 C.

About the D, I think it's pretty set. If Jerabek can't fill the spot with Weber, Streit or Schlemko will give time to Bergevin to find a new option. But I don't think Bergevin will bring a new LD before seeing what he has, which is, imo, the smartest thing to do.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
**** it's a two year deal? I'm still have a really hard time accepting that Markov is done with the Habs. It just doesn't seem real but I guess that seals the deal. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad