LW Roby Järventie - Belleville Senators, AHL (2020, 33rd, OTT, traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
How is WJC punching bag Roby Jarventie doing these days?

Bit of a hot and cold season but finishing fifth on the team in scoring while getting very little power play time is pretty good. The understanding is that he'll be heading to Belleville next season where the team can monitor his ice time, get him working on the power play and aclimatizing him to NA ice.

As one of the youngest players in the draft he was alwats going to be a bit of a project, but the tools are all there. I don't think anyone expected him to make the big club before the 2022-23 season and could be as late as 23-24 until he breaks out.

I would think that at this point there are likely 4 forward prospects ahead of him in the pipeline with a potential 5th in the 2021 draft pick. So no need to rush him.

Reactions: Hockey Rush

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bit of a hot and cold season but finishing fifth on the team in scoring while getting very little power play time is pretty good. The understanding is that he'll be heading to Belleville next season where the team can monitor his ice time, get him working on the power play and aclimatizing him to NA ice.

As one of the youngest players in the draft he was alwats going to be a bit of a project, but the tools are all there. I don't think anyone expected him to make the big club before the 2022-23 season and could be as late as 23-24 until he breaks out.

I would think that at this point there are likely 4 forward prospects ahead of him in the pipeline with a potential 5th in the 2021 draft pick. So no need to rush him.

We also have lots of room on Belleville. A lot of Europeans seemingly would rather not play in the AHL though.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He should play one more year in Liiga and build on his solid season. He’s still so young... playing at home at age 19 makes more sense, especially when he’s getting good ice time in a men’s league.

Reactions: CLW

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Also signed to an ATO to finish the season in Belleville Sens. Boom Boom Jarventie is here to stay and develop his game in North America:

Reactions: Altimus

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
One of the youngest players in the draft last year. Guys his size are usually projects. I very much think he'll be an NHLer. How good? That's the part that remains to be seen.
Yeah, it was just a bold prediction i made, when i saw him playing in the WJC's he was the worst player on the team by such a big margin and i was left kindof dissapointed with him, i wish him the best.

Reactions: Sensators and Svedu

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah, it was just a bold prediction i made, when i saw him playing in the WJC's he was the worst player on the team by such a big margin and i was left kindof dissapointed with him, i wish him the best.

I think that's an overreaction. Many players have had disappointing tournaments and been fine. Järventie's season in Ilves was good and I think it matters more.

Reactions: Samsquanch and CLW

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think that's an overreaction. Many players have had disappointing tournaments and been fine. Järventie's season in Ilves was good and I think it matters more.

I just had a look and other than Lundell (a top 10 pick whos almost a full year older) - and it looks to me like Roby had by FAR the best season of all the 18yr old players. Unless I missed it there really wasnt anyone even close tbh.

How his WJC performance can trump the season he just had is totally beyond me.... For a very late born player that was just taken in last seasons draft, hes looking like a fantastic second round pick so far for the Sens.

Ill agree that his inconsistent effort level and play away from the puck is going to have to improve a lot to make the NHL. Especially with DJ Smith running the bench for the Senators...

But he clearly has some elite goal scoring instincts, silky hands and an incredible shot that hes able to beat goalies clean with, and in a variety of ways. And he has a long and rangy body that compliments his style beautifully. All the tools are there for a very solid NHLer if he can put it all together.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I just had a look and other than Lundell (a top 10 pick whos almost a full year older) - and it looks to me like Roby had by FAR the best season of all the 18yr old players. Unless I missed it there really wasnt anyone even close tbh.

How his WJC performance can trump the season he just had is totally beyond me.... For a very late born player that was just taken in last seasons draft, hes looking like a fantastic second round pick so far for the Sens.

Ill agree that his inconsistent effort level and play away from the puck is going to have to improve a lot to make the NHL. Especially with DJ Smith running the bench for the Senators...

But he clearly has some elite goal scoring instincts, silky hands and an incredible shot that hes able to beat goalies clean with, and in a variety of ways. And he has a long and rangy body that compliments his style beautifully. All the tools are there for a very solid NHLer if he can put it all together.

He was really really really really bad at the WJC. Did absolutely nothing. Still excited at his potential, but that was an atrocious performance. Highlighting how young he is doesn't really prove anything, because Brad Lambert was very noticeable.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He was really really really really bad at the WJC. Did absolutely nothing. Still excited at his potential, but that was an atrocious performance. Highlighting how young he is doesn't really prove anything, because Brad Lambert was very noticeable.

Brad Lambert is a very special player. Not many guys at any level who think the game like he does.

A great performance at a young age in the WJC says a lot, a bad one at a young age doesn't mean much. Jarventie was horrid for sure, legit one of the worst performances I've seen from an NHL prospect at that level, but it showed/reminded us of what we all knew, but maybe were forgetting - that he was (is) a very raw player who, despite his gaudy pro totals, is a long way away.

I think the only minimizing of his negative performance was in response to people blowing its implications way out of proportion.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
How's he been?

17 pts on 32 games for his rookie season in the AHL.

Now up 20pts/34gp a couple games later - which is a good microcosm to help explain his season. The scoring comes in bunches, and his confidence level seems to go up and down - which is very normal for a 19yr old euro rookie in the AHL. He doesnt even turn 20yrs until the end of the 22' summer. Thats suuuuuper young.

So with that being said, his stat line are actually fairly impressive overall, and the talent is clearly there in spades with him imo.

Hes a VERY typical Ottawa pick for when they take an offensive minded scorer like Jarventie. Hes super late born in his draft year, and was full of tantalizing, pro level athletic qualities that go beyond being just an offensively gifted player.

Hes big at 6'3 and 200lbs already at 19, He skate very well and seems to be getting even better. And hes got a NHL goal scorers kind of shot that will be elite caliber once hes has some time to refine it.

All in all a sneaky great 2nd round pick that could end up surprising a lot of people if he reaches his potential.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
All in all a sneaky great 2nd round pick that could end up surprising a lot of people if he reaches his potential.
Do you mean Jarventie or the 2nd round as a whole?

Jarventie is definitely an intriguing prospect, it will be hard to standout from that 2nd round though. So much talent throughout the draft. Either way, if he hits as a 20+ goal winger, it will be huge for the Sens.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Do you mean Jarventie or the 2nd round as a whole?

Jarventie is definitely an intriguing prospect, it will be hard to standout from that 2nd round though. So much talent throughout the draft. Either way, if he hits as a 20+ goal winger, it will be huge for the Sens.

Gonna be honest I have no idea what your asking me lol.

Are you asking if I meant to say the whole 2020 2nd round is going to surprise people?

If so, no, thats no what I meant at all. I meant that Jarventie was seen as a reach where he was taken, has been slighted constantly from the day of the draft, and yet has shown signs that he might be a great pick that was completely worthy of his draft position.

Many fans, including yourself apparently, have been 100% convinced that hes going to be vastly inferior to (several?) other 2nd round picks taken around or after him. Sounds like the best he can hope to be is a consolation prize if Im reading you right.

That may or may not be true. But this idea that 19yr old Jarventie is already out of the race seems idiotic to me. He can be as good or better than any player in that 2nd round as of today.

None of the 2020 drafts 2nd rounders have proven a damn thing yet. Sokolov has played the most games (8) of any of them. LOL. Im not betting on Jarventie being the best of them either for the record, but quite obviously he deserves at very least a spot in the race with the rest of the pack.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Gonna be honest I have no idea what your asking me lol.

Are you asking if I meant to say the whole 2020 2nd round is going to surprise people?

If so, no, thats no what I meant at all. I meant that Jarventie was seen as a reach where he was taken, has been slighted constantly from the day of the draft, and yet has shown signs that he might be a great pick that was completely worthy of his draft position.

Many fans, including yourself apparently, have been 100% convinced that hes going to be vastly inferior to (several?) other 2nd round picks taken around or after him. Sounds like the best he can hope to be is a consolation prize if Im reading you right.

That may or may not be true. But this idea that 19yr old Jarventie is already out of the race seems idiotic to me. He can be as good or better than any player in that 2nd round as of today.

None of the 2020 drafts 2nd rounders have proven a damn thing yet. Sokolov has played the most games (8) of any of them. LOL. Im not betting on Jarventie being the best of them either for the record, but quite obviously he deserves at very least a spot in the race with the rest of the pack.

To clarify, I am not down on Jarventie at all nor was my comment trying to temper your expectations for him. I just think there will be a lot of good players from that round and think it will take a LOT to stand-out from. It was a comment about how many guys in the group could be "great 2nd round picks" - not that Jarventie can't be that, t00.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
26 pts in 48 games. I'm fine giving him a couple of games in the NHL. Moreso as a teaching tool to say hey this is what it's like to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad