LW Roby Järventie - Belleville Senators, AHL (2020, 33rd, OTT, traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He played for 3 minutes total against the Swedes. Im not sure what people are expecting to see with that kind of time on the ice. I completely agree he's had a bad tournament but he's also 18 and his coach has basically glued him to the bench. he needs to go back to Ilves and get his groove back. Hopefully we see that happen after the tournament.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unbelievable how terrible he's been. Absolutely awful every single game. What a waste of a player. Maybe he's a big ice only-kinda player like Teemu Pulkkinen.
Yeah he is done, turned 18, 5 months ago. Wont get any better, especially because he is clearly so far along in his development. Big players always mature and develop ahead of schedule too.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
It's clearly all speculation but if I had to guess he had a not great game to start the tournament, and then did something (that we will likely never know) to piss off the coach and so was demoted to the bottom line where he had another bad game. Now he is in the dog house and plays 5 minutes max a game on the bottom line. Kind of impossible to get out of that so you just need to move on. Let's revisit this when he's been back with Ilves for a bit.

I don't really think an 18-year-old has to do "something" to get benched in elimination WJC games. The coach is trying to win so he's shortened the bench. I wouldn't read farther than that he's not playing well enough to justify more ice time.

Luckily he and the Senators have years of development ahead.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Unbelievable how terrible he's been. Absolutely awful every single game. What a waste of a player. Maybe he's a big ice only-kinda player like Teemu Pulkkinen.

Don't you think that's a bit of an overreaction based on just a couple of games?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Roby basically got himself benched for mailing it in completely in their pre-comp game and the first couple games of the tourney.

He was looking way too casual and lazy out there. Floating would be a generous term. Was dragging down his linemates.

Can't blame him for not performing with a few minutes of ice time, but it's his fault it got to that point.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He played for 3 minutes total against the Swedes. Im not sure what people are expecting to see with that kind of time on the ice. I completely agree he's had a bad tournament but he's also 18 and his coach has basically glued him to the bench. he needs to go back to Ilves and get his groove back. Hopefully we see that happen after the tournament.
That's because he doesn't deserve more than that, as a matter of fact he shouldn't even step on the ice at all.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
That's because he doesn't deserve more than that, as a matter of fact he shouldn't even step on the ice at all.

Okay, thanks for your input. Next time though I would highly recommend reading past the second sentence of a post before commenting, I can almost guarantee you will come off looking less dumb.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Roby basically got himself benched for mailing it in completely in their pre-comp game and the first couple games of the tourney.

He was looking way too casual and lazy out there. Floating would be a generous term. Was dragging down his linemates.

Can't blame him for not performing with a few minutes of ice time, but it's his fault it got to that point.
That is what I saw as well. He played with no urgency or intensity in the first few games. In a short and very intense tournament that is the WJC, that is not a good fit. He deserved to be benched. Hopefully he learns something and he’ll be ready to play next go around.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah he is done, turned 18, 5 months ago. Wont get any better, especially because he is clearly so far along in his development. Big players always mature and develop ahead of schedule too.
If he was turbo raw he wouldn't be able to play in Liiga

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Big, and I mean big, disappointment for me this tournament. Bit lazy perhaps and seems to have rather slow first steps and he´s not skilled enough to make an impact at this level if he doesn't get more well rounded. But I both hope and believe he will get some more fuel from this to work hard to show us haters he has some potential to become a good player.

He has a talented younger brother as well who could surpass him in the future. Hopefully that sparks him even more :)

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Overwhelmed. Lack of drive. They said last night Fins didn't have tryouts .. otherwise I am sure it would have been uncovered.

1st line to scratch ..

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's amusing, every prospect thread is identical:

"Well, he didn't look very good out there."

"Are you saying he's terrible and won't have a good career based on a few games?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he didn't look very good out there."

"Do you know how many star players didn't do so well at the WJCs and turned out to have great careers?"

"It doesn't matter, because that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he didn't look good out there."

"Because there are plenty. Nathan MacKinnon for one. Do you know him?"

"Yes, I know him, but he has nothing to do with the prospect not looking very good out there."

Well, I watched all of Finland's games (as well as all of the US, Canada, Germany and a few others here and there) and he didn't look very good out there.

What was surprising was his lack of compete level, general disinterest in involving himself in the play, and the sheer amount of observation from a distance and floating around that he did. For a Finnish player, it seemed very out of character.

Now, on a different team, maybe he just sets up shop and waits for service to unleash his shot. But at this tournament, and in many competitive circumstances, that's probably not going to be enough.

We all knew he was raw when he was drafted, and Dorion reflected several times that he was a "project" so again, I'm not prognosticating, just observing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He deserved the ice time that he got.

Unfortunate but true.

I also hope he gets his groove back - although it will beg the question of whether he's a product of his centerman.

Reactions: Hazard78

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Has it been stated what his status will be for tonight? He doesnt necessarily deserve to get back into the lineup but, selfishly, it would be nice to see him get one last chance before going back to Ilves.

He deserved the ice time that he got.

Unfortunate but true.

I also hope he gets his groove back - although it will beg the question of whether he's a product of his centerman.

I think its hard to deny that some of Roby's success is due to his linemates, but that shouldn't be used to discount him. He will likely never be a play driver - he will be a guy who can get open and wire it, and hopefully make some plays with the puck as well. Either way, for him to be doing what he's doing as an 18 year old in a pro league is impressive. Does he need to improve many facets of his game? Absolutely. But there are qualities that he possesses which have facilitated the success he's had thus far as a pro.

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
It's amusing, every prospect thread is identical:

"Well, he didn't look very good out there."

"Are you saying he's terrible and won't have a good career based on a few games?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he didn't look very good out there."

"Do you know how many star players didn't do so well at the WJCs and turned out to have great careers?"

"It doesn't matter, because that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he didn't look good out there."

"Because there are plenty. Nathan MacKinnon for one. Do you know him?"

"Yes, I know him, but he has nothing to do with the prospect not looking very good out there."

Well, I watched all of Finland's games (as well as all of the US, Canada, Germany and a few others here and there) and he didn't look very good out there.

What was surprising was his lack of compete level, general disinterest in involving himself in the play, and the sheer amount of observation from a distance and floating around that he did. For a Finnish player, it seemed very out of character.

Now, on a different team, maybe he just sets up shop and waits for service to unleash his shot. But at this tournament, and in many competitive circumstances, that's probably not going to be enough.

We all knew he was raw when he was drafted, and Dorion reflected several times that he was a "project" so again, I'm not prognosticating, just observing.

I too am a paragon of reason, beset by idiots on all sides.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad