LW Roby Järventie - Belleville Senators, AHL (2020, 33rd, OTT, traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
There is a highlight on the Liiga site. Good play by Maccelli to start it... Jarventie parks himself right in front of the goalie as the puck goes behind the net. Puck is fed to him and he shoots it into the goalie's pad from 2 feet away and then swipes at his own rebound and jams it in.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Yeah have seen 3 games from him. Really surprised how mobile Roby is for his size but the biggest surprise is how often he makes the right choice with the puck. That makes me wonder why he wasn't drafted earlier.

I was also a bit surprised there wasn't more talk about him prior to this draft. I wonder if it is because he played in Mestis last season while some other players maybe played in the top leagues like Liiga, KHL, OHL, etc. I'm not sure. But he definitely has all the tools to be a very good NHL player.

If anyone has any video of his play this season, please share!

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Reminds me of Stars Roope Hintz.
Really liked his game tonight vs Pelicans.

I know thats the usual comparison people make with him. However, I think he can become better. I think Jarventie has a better shot than Hintz, as well as a bit more speed. I also think he might become a better playmaker than Hintz. In terms of style of play and size I definitely see similarities. To me Jarventie's floor is Hintz, but he has the potential to be a bit more than that.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Offtopic comment but goddamn those Ilves jerseys are sick.. They blend the ads very well on them with he white coloring, smart design, gets ugly when the all sports of colors from ads are all over the place.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
What i really like about him is he has the IQ to know when to hit on the brakes and he turns his body to protect the puck at the same time while waiting for players looking for options, very nice value for the pick the Sens made, you guys are very good at drafting i'll give you that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What i really like about him is he has the IQ to know when to hit on the brakes and he turns his body to protect the puck at the same time while waiting for players looking for options, very nice value for the pick the Sens made, you guys are very good at drafting i'll give you that.

What's interesting is that Trent Mann (our head scout) came out and literally said that he probably wouldn't have been drafted in a regular year.

The additional time afforded by the delay and the beginning of the European hockey seasons actually affected their decision-making.

We'll find out if the small sample sizes of games to date actually messed up their evaluations or not.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
What's interesting is that Trent Mann (our head scout) came out and literally said that he probably wouldn't have been drafted in a regular year.

The additional time afforded by the delay and the beginning of the European hockey seasons actually affected their decision-making.

We'll find out if the small sample sizes of games to date actually messed up their evaluations or not.

thats very interesting to me because he did very well in Mestis last season too...for under 18 players that season he had 38 points and the next guy in that age group had 5 (although in 8 games)! He also had the most points for the under 19 group.

I do think he would have got drafted either way, just probably later in the draft.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Mann said they may not have needed to jump on him so early. He was always the Sens pick with one of their 2nds at the least, but the added ~10+ pre and regular season games made them make sure they were going to get him by using 33.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yeah have seen 3 games from him. Really surprised how mobile Roby is for his size but the biggest surprise is how often he makes the right choice with the puck. That makes me wonder why he wasn't drafted earlier.
He really oozes high hockey IQ. And so far I haven’t seen really any area where he hasn’t been impressive, at least for his age. Well maybe his shot isn’t really that impressive, although probably even that is quite ok for his age.

His skating is pretty good, especially for his size, and passing and general hockey IQ both seem very good to me. Well I have seen him play in only 4 games so far, but I have liked very much what I have seen from him so far. Definitely a player that I have been completely sleeping on so far. I had no idea how good he really is, although I’m an enthusiastic Ilves fan.

Did he just recently take huge steps with his development, or why he was not drafted higher? Looks really good, and gives me somehow some Sebastian Aho vibes, although a lot bigger but not as good skater, but the IQ somehow reminds me of Aho, and also how he has been going under the radar so far.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad