LW Roby Järventie - Belleville Senators, AHL (2020, 33rd, OTT, traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I know thats the usual comparison people make with him. However, I think he can become better. I think Jarventie has a better shot than Hintz, as well as a bit more speed. I also think he might become a better playmaker than Hintz. In terms of style of play and size I definitely see similarities. To me Jarventie's floor is Hintz, but he has the potential to be a bit more than that.
Uh, Hintz is really f***ing fast and his shot is really damn good. I haven't seen anything like that from Järventie yet. He looks promising though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Reminds me of Stars Roope Hintz.
Really liked his game tonight vs Pelicans.
I love what Hintz has become as a player. But even how much I love him, I have to say that he will never be a true superstar player. The main reason for that is that he has a pretty ok or maybe even good hockey IQ, but it definitely isn’t real high class hockey IQ that only the true superstars have. Still Hintz is already a very valuable player and a lot of fun to watch.

But in Järventie I honestly see already glimpses of really high hockey IQ. Maybe even the caliber of a potential superstar class of a player. I know it’s very early to say this, and I’m definitely not claiming that he will become that. But I think I have in general been pretty good with estimating the young player’s hockey IQ and what potential it usually gives for them to become true star players at some point.

I saw true star potential in Sebastian Aho already during the 2014-2015 season and I definitely see the similar kind of glimpses of how Järventie seems to think of the game. An extremely interesting young player to follow for this Liiga season. It’s so nice to have a special young player like this finally in my favorite Liiga team Ilves.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He really oozes high hockey IQ. And so far I haven’t seen really any area where he hasn’t been impressive, at least for his age. Well maybe his shot isn’t really that impressive, although probably even that is quite ok for his age.

His skating is pretty good, especially for his size, and passing and general hockey IQ seem very good to me. Well I have seen him play in only 4 games so far, but I have liked very much what I have seen from him so far. Definitely a player that I have been completely sleeping on so far. I had no idea how good he really is, although I’m an enthusiastic Ilves fan.

Did he just recently take huge steps with his development, or why he was not drafted higher? Looks really good, and gives me somehow some Sebastian Aho vibes, although a lot bigger but not as good skater, but the IQ somehow reminds me of Aho, and also how he has been going under the radar so far.
I agree with everything you said except i don't see any Aho reseblence at all, more like Hintz like others have said, although Hintz was a superior skater at the same age.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I agree with everything you said except i don't see any Aho reseblence at all, more like Hintz like others have said, although Hintz was a superior skater at the same age.
Järventie has clearly a lot better IQ and passing skills than Hintz had at the same age. And those qualities are really the only things that I have seen as similar as what Aho has. But those are the most important things a hockey player can have, especially the hockey IQ.

If all the other abilities are good or relatively good for the player, then hockey IQ is the only ability that can make the player really stand out as a true superstar player. Being elite in any other skill, but not that with the hockey IQ, will mean that player will never be a true superstar class player. But he can sure still become a pretty darn good player, just like Hintz has become.

Simply put, because I see Järventie having clearly better hockey IQ than I saw Hintz have at the same age, I see there a clear resemblence with Aho at the same age. But just with Aho’s very high hockey IQ at the same age, and how he also managed to go quite well under the radar of a lot of hockey people at that age.

Last edited:

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Well maybe his shot isn’t really that impressive, although probably even that is quite ok for his age.

Looking at his pre draft writings and Mestis clips, his shot is actually really good. Maybe he hasnt showed it in Liiga yet tho.

And about the high IQ, I can definitely see it too. Should be a good one.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I never thought of Hintz as a very high IQ player, more a player with great skating and hands. Perhaps he's started playing smarter in NHL but yeah.

Järventie's interesting, results weren't very great until last season where he had a great Mestis season and he seems to have picked up from where he left off.

Reactions: Ippenator

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
To be completely honest, i can't think a good comparison for him at all, atlest nobody other that's Finnish, he has a more unique style.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Great start of the season for him. His younger brother Emil has played well too as he seems to be the only 2005-born currently playing in the U20 league. There was a nice small article of the Järventie family in yesterday's newspaper and there's a third brother Max (2008) also making his way up the Ilves junior-system. Look for the Järventie bros dominating North American rinks in the 2030s!

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

He also got an excellent, intelligent assist to Maccelli’s goal in the second period. Looked like he was himself a bit offside in the situation. But he was really pushed offside by the opponent’s defenceman, and it didn’t really affect the play in any way, so in that way it was probably justice that the offside wasn’t whistled.

I really love watching this kid play. He oozes so much of cerebral play. It’s wonderful to also watch his and Maccelli’s connection. Both are gradually getting close to the top of the whole Liiga’s scoring rankings.

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Super excited about Roby. I was worried about his work ethic issues but now it seems like those worries can be forgotten. Can't wait to see what he'll become.

And to think that his little brother Emil is already playing in U20 league as 15 year old. These brothers could become something else.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Hockey IQ, passing and shooting are very good. He's got size and isn't a bad skater. Offensively, that skill set is tantalizing.
I agree on the Liiga level definitely. I’m not saying that his skating is really a weakness, but I think that by improving still that area in his play, he has the chance to become even a star player in the NHL. And additionally I think he needs to add a bit more of intensity in his game. Everything else seems to be already on a very good level. Most interesting Finnish prospect at the moment for me, right after Lundell.

Reactions: foggyvisor

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Sick hands. Takes a pass in his feet, pumps it into his wheel-house, and rips a shot. All in a split second. Big league skill.

Reactions: mazmin

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
The value of this pick is looking really good for the Senators. I really hope he'll succeed because Lassi Thomson was a bad pick for the Sens that even i hyped before.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The Sens scouts are a very talented group, and keep showing why they are a step ahead of the internet scouts. It was very interesting to hear Trent Mann say in the Athletic this week that had the draft been in June, they likely wouidnt have picked Jarventie.

But knowing his age (aug born) and that he potentially had some huge untapped potential, they paid extra close attention to him during the summer and leading up to the draft. And because they saw tremendous growth and how hard he had trained, they decided his potential was too much to pass up on by the time October rolled around.

And now we know why. Its the Pinto pick all over again.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Sens scouts are a very talented group, and keep showing why they are a step ahead of the internet scouts. It was very interesting to hear Trent Mann say in the Athletic this week that had the draft been in June, they likely wouidnt have picked Jarventie.

But knowing his age (aug born) and that he potentially had some huge untapped potential, they paid extra close attention to him during the summer and leading up to the draft. And because they saw tremendous growth and how hard he had trained, they decided his potential was too much to pass up on by the time October rolled around.

And now we know why. Its the Pinto pick all over again.

I watched a Sens interview with Mann on YT. I didn't get the impression they wouldn't have drafted Roby at all. The implication was that the Sens would not have taken Robyn as high as 33 if the draft had been held in June as normal. As you say the delay gave the Sens more time to evaluate Roby and they adjusted accordingly.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I watched a Sens interview with Mann on YT. I didn't get the impression they wouldn't have drafted Roby at all. The implication was that the Sens would not have taken Robyn as high as 33 if the draft had been held in June as normal. As you say the delay gave the Sens more time to evaluate Roby and they adjusted accordingly.

No-one was so high about him 6 months ago, because everyone thought that he can´t continue scoring in the higher level. Everyone was wrong. He has taken big steps in his development quicker than expected. I don´t know does he have the potential to become a NHLer, but at least he is on a right track. Very interesting young man.

Sidenote: Thomson has been a disappointment for me since he came back from WHL. However, now he has shown more mature game and is getting back the self-confidence required for his QB style of play. He should use his shot more often, but there are not many chances for that, because he lost his place in PP a year ago and now there are quality players like Välimäki (Flames loan) competing for the PP time.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I watched a Sens interview with Mann on YT. I didn't get the impression they wouldn't have drafted Roby at all. The implication was that the Sens would not have taken Robyn as high as 33 if the draft had been held in June as normal..

Lol this is nitpicking at its finest...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad