LW Roby Järventie - Belleville Senators, AHL (2020, 33rd, OTT, traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sens were always planning on taking Jarventie, should he be available, with one of their 2nds. His play from September to the draft made them use their 33rd because they didn’t want to lose him.

Sens obviously had him rated as a 1st round guy, and his play to start the year made the chances of getting him with their later 2nds much lower, hence then jumping on him at 33.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Big league shot, good frame, good skater for his age/size. Looks like he could be a player. Havent had the opportunity to watch him much but the tools look good, looking forward to see what he can do at the WJC. Thomson also had good tools but once I watched him I really didnt like his game, hopefully this isnt the same situation.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He was known as a first round talent that could drop and Ottawa gets to laugh all the way to the bank, this kid looks like several million bucks already. Boy can he finish.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He always looks like he's about to blow a fuse on the ice because his line mates really don't like utilizing him when he tries to find open areas. Kinda funny, reminds me of Laine. Same whenever he shoots and doesn't score. Looks so immensely disappointed and pissed.

Last edited:

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
He always looks like he's about to blow a fuse on the ice because his line mates really don't like utilizing him when he tries to find open areas. Kinda funny, reminds me of Laine. Same whenever he shoots and doesn't score. Looks so immensely disappointed and pissed.
Kaapo, are you going to play in the WJC? ;)

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

Not a great quality but may go away with maturity.

I always thought it was a lazy comparison but he does remind me a bit of Laine in a few ways...

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Not a great quality but may go away with maturity.

I always thought it was a lazy comparison but he does remind me a bit of Laine in a few ways...
Lots of players who are like that in the NHL. Nathan MacKinnon is pissed as f*** all the time. I don't mind that quality if it doesn't come with tilting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That is pretty funny tbh. 4 players in front of the net and none of them are even trying to cover him. :biglaugh:
You didn’t realize that it’s a power play situation? He moved just before the pass, so he makes it pretty impossible to focus too much just on him. And you can’t play very clear man to man plays when you are short handed, you play practically area the most. Exactly the kind of movement he made just before the pass to him, is a high class hockey IQ move and makes it very difficult to defend him especially when his team is on the power play.

If the situation was a 5 on 5 situation, then I would agree with your criticism, But just look how a couple of those defending guys are already trying to prevent any other guy from getting completely open.

Two of the guys are covering the area where Järventie was before he made his movement, but they just couldn’t get on time to cover the area where he moved just before the pass. In fact great timing and reading of the play by both, Järventie and the passer.

Reactions: HzH

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
You didn’t realize that it’s a power play situation? He moved just before the pass, so he makes it pretty impossible to focus too much just on him. And you can’t play very clear man to man plays when you are short handed, you play practically area the most. Exactly the kind of movement he made just before the pass to him, is a high class hockey IQ move and makes it very difficult to defend him especially when his team is on the power play.

If the situation was a 5 on 5 situation, then I would agree with your criticism, But just look how a couple of those defending guys are already trying to prevent any other guy from getting completely open.

Two of the guys are covering the area where Järventie was before he made his movement, but they just couldn’t get on time to cover the area where he moved just before the pass. In fact great timing and reading of the play by both, Järventie and the passer.

I disagree on this particular play. No other player was a scoring threat at that moment and the pkers likely just got caught off guard, but you cant leave the guy freely open in front of the net.

Not like it is anything away from Järventie or Antonen though, good players will always take advantage of misplays.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I disagree on this particular play. No other player was a scoring threat at that moment and the pkers likely just got caught off guard, but you cant leave the guy freely open in front of the net.

Not like it is anything away from Järventie or Antonen though, good players will always take advantage of misplays.
There was in fact clearly two other threats at the same time. Three of the defending players were somehow aware of this too. One threat was obviously a defenceman closer to the blueline, but who was most probably showing signs of pinching for a shooting chance a bit closer to the goal, which you can see from where those defending players are glancing at quickly.

Then there is also a forward quite much to the right from the goal who was looking for a shooting chance from a pretty small angle, that can be still deadly if a quick and accurate pass is given.

Even if you don’t see those players very clearly from the video clip, it is still obvious that there are those kind of danger factors existing. And you can’t just cover one or two players if you want to have a generally working penalty killing. You have to generally be able to cover most of the passing lanes to the possible dangerous shooting areas.

But if a an offensive team’s player moves quickly at the right time on the power play, and he gets the pass at the right time, it is not always possible for anyone to cover the passing lane right then when the pass is given. And if the pass reciever shoots a onetimer accurately and quickly, there’s not much of chances to prevent it. This is what I saw happening in that goal from Järventie.

Excellent play from Järventie and Antonen both, as it was clear that three of those defending players did have to, even for a really short time, glance to other directions to be able to cover those two other danger areas. Which was exactly enough for Järventie to make that very well timed movement and also for Antonen to give the pass with the perfect timing to exactly the right spot for Järventie’s one-timer blaster.

Great goal in my opinion. Sure not perfectly played by the defence, but any play that ends up as a goal, is always partially a mistake by the defending team.

Because of the power play situation, I can’t blame those Jukurit defensive players too much, as there would have been other options more open if they would have concentrated only in defending Järventie.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Has anybody watched him play with Ilves regularly? He's been useless at the WJC's. Just wondering how on earth he has 14 points in 19 games in Liiga?

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He's had a rough tournament for sure, no one really knows why. Just has not shown the same motivation he did in Liiga play. We can sit here speculating to why his tournament was bad but all we can say for certain is at this time he is a high skill player that isn't doing enough offensively to garner top six minutes and isn't doing enough defensively to fit in a bottom six role. So he sits on the bench all game. Hopefully he bounces back after the tournament.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Unbelievable how terrible he's been. Absolutely awful every single game. What a waste of a player. Maybe he's a big ice only-kinda player like Teemu Pulkkinen.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Unbelievable how terrible he's been. Absolutely awful every single game. What a waste of a player. Maybe he's a big ice only-kinda player like Teemu Pulkkinen.
I’d relax. Not every player finds their groove right away in a new environment. Don’t overreact to the small sample size. He’s a month away from being a 2021 eligible, and given the season he’s had in Ligga, he’d probably be a top 15 pick if he was eligible.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Yeah but...its not like Roby is 5 foot 11 player with questionable skating ability
Roby is 6 foot 3, 200+ lbs player with good skating ability.

But yeah...no one could of predicted this, how bad he has been, really can't understand what's going on.

I was 100% sure that Lundell & Järventie would of been deadly duo at these WJC.
- not that i'm jumping the gun here, so to speak but rather,..the performance at these WJC

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
It's clearly all speculation but if I had to guess he had a not great game to start the tournament, and then did something (that we will likely never know) to piss off the coach and so was demoted to the bottom line where he had another bad game. Now he is in the dog house and plays 5 minutes max a game on the bottom line. Kind of impossible to get out of that so you just need to move on. Let's revisit this when he's been back with Ilves for a bit.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's clearly all speculation but if I had to guess he had a not great game to start the tournament, and then did something (that we will likely never know) to piss off the coach and so was demoted to the bottom line where he had another bad game. Now he is in the dog house and plays 5 minutes max a game on the bottom line. Kind of impossible to get out of that so you just need to move on. Let's revisit this when he's been back with Ilves for a bit.

I don't know exact reasons why Järventie has regressed so much in these U20 WJC's.
But some Finnish posters have said in Jatkoaika.com ( Finnish hockey forum ) Barret Hayton's
loan for Ilves has someway affected Järventie's game. Hayton and Maccelli played same line with Järventie.

And Järventie's role in that line was to be a 3rd wheel
when Maccelli and Hayton both hogged the puck.
Maccelli and Hayton are both Coyotes prospects so maybe that's one reason.

But still that won't remove that fact
i'm getting strong Jesse Puljujärvi / Nail Yakupov vibes of Roby Järventie.
Ottawa Senators has long road and tough development process ahead with Roby
if they wanna him to become even passable NHL player so good luck to the Sens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad