LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds like no one has a clue what this guy is going to be. On the one hand he is Laine, the other, Sokolov.

Kieffer Bellows?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds like no one has a clue what this guy is going to be. On the one hand he is Laine, the other, Sokolov.

Kieffer Bellows?

He has a way better offensive skill-set than Sokolov, and is not nearly as bad of a skater. He's not that similar to Bellows either.

On a team with little offensive talent, he has 51 assists in his U18 season. He's an all-around offensive player.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He has a way better offensive skill-set than Sokolov, and is not nearly as bad of a skater. He's not that similar to Bellows either.

On a team with little offensive talent, he has 51 assists in his U18 season. He's an all-around offensive player.

I feel like there's a huge under-appreciation for how much his overall offensive game has improved this season.

He isn't just a trigger man anymore.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The guy will be a lot like Laine, but on the right circle instead of the left on the PP.

These guys don't bring much of anything (no speed, no defensive game, no hustle, medium hockey IQ), but are still extremely valuable because they can put in on the net efficiently.

Could be the kind of player to put 25 goals on his rookie season just by one-timing it on the PP.

Reactions: danktopshelf

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The guy will be a lot like Laine, but on the right circle instead of the left on the PP.

These guys don't bring much of anything (no speed, no defensive game, no hustle, medium hockey IQ), but are still extremely valuable because they can put in on the net efficiently.

Could be the kind of player to put 25 goals on his rookie season just by one-timing it on the PP.

I think Laine is just lazy because he's had early success and his attitude is just to score.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Safe, yes. But I struggle to pinpoint his potential. Some days I go "This kid is going to be the best player in the league." And other days I go "Hes basically Lars Eller."
Got it...those guys scare me, but i always keep in mind that Draisaitl was being talked about the same way as recently as a few months ago. The ultimate guy for that was Kent Nilsson, AKA, "The Magic Man". I was never sure if he was named that because of the almost magical skills he had, or his ability to disappear during games.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Bleacher Report has him at #11 yet Sportingnews has him as low as #25
Button has him 12th I believe and Bobby Mac 13th from his scout list...both have had Kaliyev ranked very high most of this year..ISS has had him the lowest at 31st for much of the year, but bumped him to 28th last week..

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think one of the biggest mistakes scouts make is looking at weaknesses in a vacuum. They don't actually consider if those weaknesses are going to limit the player's strengths at the next level.

If you draft Kaliyev, you're drafting him for his goal scoring and ability in the offensive zone. Average skating and a lack of hustle/ability in the defensive end isn't going to limit that.

I'm pretty confident Kaliyev is going to go around 10th-20th. There's no way he goes near the end of the 1st or outside the 1st like some media/amateur draft sites(who often fall into the above pitfall) have him ranked.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there should be fewer Laine name drops in this thread and more Wahlstrom name drops.

He's a much better playmaker with a much better hockey IQ. Size and skating effectiveness are similar, but Wahlstrom is a faster skater whose skating plays down because of his effort level, while Kaliyev's skating plays up. I also don't think Kaliyev's shot is all that close to Wahlstrom's, despite being pretty good.

Reactions: lanky

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I like Kaliyev. If Nashville is able to get him I might have an heart attack. I doubt that though, I think unless Edmonton wins the lotto, they could end up taking him, another hopeful skilled winger for McDavid or Draisaitl.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Not a fan of his game, his skating is atrocious and needs a center that can drive the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad