LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
His IQ of where to be at the right time to score goals might work well with Pettersson and Q. Hughes

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His IQ of where to be at the right time to score goals might work well with Pettersson and Q. Hughes

He is extremely talented, yeah he takes the odd shift off here and there and can be disinterested at playing in his own zone at times. However this can be taught/coached uses his body very well and his hands are silky. Has a good frame, thats the thing that i didnt expect as much, he is real hard on the puck in the O zone.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
This kid scream HUGE question marks to me, i hate his intensity, his static skating and slow reacting edgework. Kinda off reminds me a bit of Galchenyuk with lesser hands but Better shot and positioning in the Ozone. From my view this kid has too much odds against him in terms of translation, too many good players in the draft to be a top 15. Not saying this can't change in his progression, the kid is 17 year old and is a heck of a goal scorer. He's a pure definition of BOOM or bust. liked stated above you can look stupid for picking him or passing on him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This kid scream HUGE question marks to me, i hate his intensity, his static skating and slow reacting edgework. Kinda off reminds me a bit of Galchenyuk with lesser hands but Better shot and positioning in the Ozone. From my view this kid has too much odds against him in terms of translation, too many good players in the draft to be a top 15. Not saying this can't change in his progression, the kid is 17 year old and is a heck of a goal scorer. He's a pure definition of BOOM or bust. liked stated above you can look stupid for picking him or passing on him.
He is one of the youngest players in this draft, and just scorched the OHL with 50 plus goals. Yes there are some issues here, but IMO you are over blowing a number of them. I keep saying look at how Laine plays at the NHL level and tell me how much different Kaliyev is to that? Kaliyev at least drives hard to the net, he scores most of his goals from 30 feet in, those types of players simply do not forget how to score at the NHL level.

Over analyzing a player for what he isn't, really doesn't seem to work to well in many cases. We heard a number of these things for another 40 goal NHL scorer in Alex DeBrincat. He is a midget people joked, he leeches off McDaid or Strome...He isn't engaged away from the puck...His skating isn't great for his size... just another player that doesn't fit the mold of typical narratives on here who only comes into the NHL and destroys the league..and why is that? Because what he does well/near elite is the most important part in the game- scoring goals. Laine can float out there 90% of his shifts, which most of his Jets fans would say he does (I watched the Jets a shit ton past 2 years)..but he still put up 30 goals and you would never say be warned/don't draft him high again. You take the good with the bad.

Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille had amazing careers being bad skating, low effort away from the puck snipers..I respect your opinion, you do follow these kids as well, but I just think you are truly over analyzing this kid as a few others are. Bobby Mac and Button have him both inside the top 15..I do like your Galchenyuk comp because there are similarities there, but Kaliyev is just far more of an elite goal scorer to not be able to transition to the NHL..that is just insane IMO.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What worries me is that some question Kaliyev's compete level. I know that some players just have a laid back style, but others can't figure out how to compete on a night in, night out basis. At lower levels, if you are a superior athlete, you can get away with it, but not in the NHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
@HOPE & @AmericanDream

Are you guys talking about Galchenyuk as a junior? He was pretty hard working for Arizona this year. Showed a good amount of guts. Probably Arizona’s most effective forward (not saying much). Certainly much more engaged and intense then Keller, as an example.
can't speak for Hope, but for me it was comparing Galchenyuk as a junior...Galchenyuk had his flaws as well but on a skillset comp it isn't a bad one comparing similar ages.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If his ceiling was this high and he didn’t have such a low floor, he’d be a top 3 pick. The “bust” half of the “boom or bust” equation is why he might be available to a team outside of the top ten. Same goes for Caufield’s size. And also Newhook’s quality of competition. Prospects outside of the consensus top five or ten are going to have some warts. Risk averse teams will have “safer” prospects like McMichael they can opt for instead.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If his ceiling was this high and he didn’t have such a low floor, he’d be a top 3 pick. The “bust” half of the “boom or bust” equation is why he might be available to a team outside of the top ten. Same goes for Caufield’s size. And also Newhook’s quality of competition. Prospects outside of the consensus top five or ten are going to have some warts. Risk averse teams will have “safer” prospects like McMichael they can opt for instead.

Yeah I can see teams preferring guys like Lavoie, McMicheal, Brink, Hoglander and Pelletier. But some teams will roll the dice on the boom/bust guys like Kaliyev, Broberg and Caufield.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is one of the youngest players in this draft, and just scorched the OHL with 50 plus goals. Yes there are some issues here, but IMO you are over blowing a number of them. I keep saying look at how Laine plays at the NHL level and tell me how much different Kaliyev is to that? Kaliyev at least drives hard to the net, he scores most of his goals from 30 feet in, those types of players simply do not forget how to score at the NHL level.

Over analyzing a player for what he isn't, really doesn't seem to work to well in many cases. We heard a number of these things for another 40 goal NHL scorer in Alex DeBrincat. He is a midget people joked, he leeches off McDaid or Strome...He isn't engaged away from the puck...His skating isn't great for his size... just another player that doesn't fit the mold of typical narratives on here who only comes into the NHL and destroys the league..and why is that? Because what he does well/near elite is the most important part in the game- scoring goals. Laine can float out there 90% of his shifts, which most of his Jets fans would say he does (I watched the Jets a **** ton past 2 years)..but he still put up 30 goals and you would never say be warned/don't draft him high again. You take the good with the bad.

Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille had amazing careers being bad skating, low effort away from the puck snipers..I respect your opinion, you do follow these kids as well, but I just think you are truly over analyzing this kid as a few others are. Bobby Mac and Button have him both inside the top 15..I do like your Galchenyuk comp because there are similarities there, but Kaliyev is just far more of an elite goal scorer to not be able to transition to the NHL..that is just insane IMO.

What I got from watching his 50 goals video is that he knows where to be on the ice to score and he knows how to get open. He may not be a line driving type at the next level, but if you have a team with high end two way playmakers on it, he'd be an excellent compliment to them. I'm no scout, but if I'm the Oilers, he's one of the guys that I consider at #8. Dach would be my first choice if he's still there, but Kaliyev deserves consideration there.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What I got from watching his 50 goals video is that he knows where to be on the ice to score and he knows how to get open. He may not be a line driving type at the next level, but if you have a team with high end two way playmakers on it, he'd be an excellent compliment to them. I'm no scout, but if I'm the Oilers, he's one of the guys that I consider at #8. Dach would be my first choice if he's still there, but Kaliyev deserves consideration there.
exactly. for some odd reason, a few of these kids seem to only get talk/conversations going based on their flaws. I see from posters "yeah he scored 50 goals..BUT"...like scoring 50 goals in the OHL is an easy feat especially with a supporting cast that has been average at best all season for Hamilton. It is good to understand/acknowledge a players faults or areas to work on, but for whatever the reason this kid has very little talk about what he actually does right - the most important part of the game- scoring goals.. I again am not saying these issues shouldn't be discussed or debated, but when you look at the posters who do talk about his issues, ONLY talk about his issues and not the fact that he is the best pure goal scorer in this draft...you can make a case for Caufield here as well..but the point stands. I actually like Kaliyev's playmaking ability as well, think the get gets underrated there as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
exactly. for some odd reason, a few of these kids seem to only get talk/conversations going based on their flaws. I see from posters "yeah he scored 50 goals..BUT"...like scoring 50 goals in the OHL is an easy feat especially with a supporting cast that has been average at best all season for Hamilton. It is good to understand/acknowledge a players faults or areas to work on, but for whatever the reason this kid has very little talk about what he actually does right - the most important part of the game- scoring goals.. I again am not saying these issues shouldn't be discussed or debated, but when you look at the posters who do talk about his issues, ONLY talk about his issues and not the fact that he is the best pure goal scorer in this draft...you can make a case for Caufield here as well..but the point stands. I actually like Kaliyev's playmaking ability as well, think the get gets underrated there as well.

It's the same thing about Dach's skating. There's a reason that these guys aren't rated with Hughes and Kakko but it doesn't mean that they can't get there one day. Look at my Oilers for example. RNH by my eye was the best player in the draft, yet since then he's been passed by Scheifele, Kucherov and Gaudreau at minimum and that's not an indictment on Nuge, just that the other guys had more ?'s but they answered them. I see many people hyping up Caufield but I'm more old school in that I take a skilled big man over a skilled little man if everything else is equal.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

That’s the consensus. I’m not arguing about what the consensus is.

With Caufield, he is shorter, but being shorter alone doesn’t make a player worse. There are certain areas of a game that smaller players traditionally struggle with, but I don’t find that Caufield struggles in any areas of the game, and he also is an elite goal scorer.

With Kaliyev, I agree that he has some weaknesses in his game, but he also has some huge strengths. I think the strengths will more than make up for the weaknesses.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think at some point you just need to see that the talent is there and everything else is a work in progress. Even though there are some skating/effort concerns you have to look at the positives as well. He’s big, he’s young, he wasn’t leaching off an all star centre. Worst case scenario for this kid is he becomes a JVR clone and pots 25/25 on the power play, but needs to be sheltered 5 on 5. Still a valuable player.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
@HOPE & @AmericanDream

Are you guys talking about Galchenyuk as a junior? He was pretty hard working for Arizona this year. Showed a good amount of guts. Probably Arizona’s most effective forward (not saying much). Certainly much more engaged and intense then Keller, as an example.

Actually Galchenyuk in junior and early NHL Galchenyuk had way more intensity, he wasn't afraid to cut down the middle and charge the net. He also had some Knee injuries... Didn't watch him in Arizona at all this year. But my comparaison was toward what Galchenyuk at the end in Montreal a Static skater ( im 95% sure he didn't change that, he dekes while gliding and not moving his feet) and more of a Static shooter with slow edge.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think at some point you just need to see that the talent is there and everything else is a work in progress. Even though there are some skating/effort concerns you have to look at the positives as well. He’s big, he’s young, he wasn’t leaching off an all star centre. Worst case scenario for this kid is he becomes a JVR clone and pots 25/25 on the power play, but needs to be sheltered 5 on 5. Still a valuable player.
Most definitely not his worst case scenario, that's ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad