Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I agree. This kid was born for offence. His defensive inclination seems to be an afterthought. As I have posted before, it would not surprise me if Mailloux is converted to power forward at the next level. He has the size, speed off the wing, vision, shot and offensive propensity to be a very successful NHL winger. The ‘Michigan’ move or otherwise.

These conversions rarely work, though, Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien being some rare exceptions, and even then they prefered to get back to their natural positions, I honestly prefer the organization focus on his positioning more than anything, he thinks offense first, fine, at least he'll be at the right spot most of the time when he has to defend.

Otherwise he'd become another Andy Delmore or M-A Bergeron, which would be least than adequate.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
So what does everyone thing about leaving Mailloux in the OHL next year for his overager season?

I think he could still learn a lot and improve in juniors, but London is not looking like they’ll be contenders next season.

Reactions: Andrei79

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
These conversions rarely work, though, Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien being some rare exceptions, and even then they prefered to get back to their natural positions, I honestly prefer the organization focus on his positioning more than anything, he thinks offense first, fine, at least he'll be at the right spot most of the time when he has to defend.

Otherwise he'd become another Andy Delmore or M-A Bergeron, which would be least than adequate.
That assumes that defence is Mailloux's 'natural position.' A lot of kids are pigeoned holed early in their carriers. While I am one of Mailloux's biggest boosters, I still find that he lacks an innate defensive perspective. That perspective may well change with further development. That being said, this kid was born to be offensive player. Why restrict that ability by imposing defensive responsibilities that he is clearly uncomfortable with? I'd give him free reign and let him wreck havoc in the offensive zone. 6' 3", 210 pounds, strong straight-line skating ability, elite shot, excellent offensive vision. What more do you need in a power forward? No Cups in 30 years. It's time to start thinking outside of the box.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So what does everyone thing about leaving Mailloux in the OHL next year for his overager season?

I think he could still learn a lot and improve in juniors, but London is not looking like they’ll be contenders next season.
It's better to put him in a league where his physical edge isn't quite so dominant so that he actually has to use other aspects of his game.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Streit and Markov had good shots. But Malakhov was a freak of nature. He and Richer were the two most physically talented players that I ever saw play for Montreal in my more than 60 years of following the Canadiens.
In my opinion Markov was one of the most under rated players to ever play the game. How he was never in any serious Norris conversations.....
Dont Know Emoticon

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Brandt Clarke is playing in his D+2 right now and he has 2 pts a game and 10 goals in 11 games. It should give everyone a good reason to be carefull with Mailloux's production.

I haven’t watched much of Clarke other than the WJHC, and his skating seemed subpar and he was struggling to keep up with junior players in the tournament.

I don’t know if there’s any point in comparing him to Mailloux, when they’re such different players.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
That assumes that defence is Mailloux's 'natural position.' A lot of kids are pigeoned holed early in their carriers. While I am one of Mailloux's biggest boosters, I still find that he lacks an innate defensive perspective. That perspective may well change with further development. That being said, this kid was born to be offensive player. Why restrict that ability by imposing defensive responsibilities that he is clearly uncomfortable with? I'd give him free reign and let him wreck havoc in the offensive zone. 6' 3", 210 pounds, strong straight-line skating ability, elite shot, excellent offensive vision. What more do you need in a power forward? No Cups in 30 years. It's time to start thinking outside of the box.
So basically a much better Josh Anderson. I've never considered this but I'd love to see it.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
PLD - Dach - Mailloux

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
We NEED an absolute power house who can shoot, pass and make plays from the blue line. He stays Defense in hopes he turns into that TOP line Offensive Defensman. We will draft the forwards we need or trade for them. Big Offensive Defensman with High O skills don't come around often.

Weber, Markov, Doughty, Makar, Lidstrom, Burns.... Sure you can name a few more but these guys are INTEGRAL.

Reactions: GobigorGohome

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
In my opinion Markov was one of the most under rated players to ever play the game. How he was never in any serious Norris conversations.....
We NEED an absolute power house who can shoot, pass and make plays from the blue line. He stays Defense in hopes he turns into that TOP line Offensive Defensman. We will draft the forwards we need or trade for them. Big Offensive Defensman with High O skills don't come around often.

Weber, Markov, Doughty, Makar, Lidstrom, Burns.... Sure you can name a few more but these guys are INTEGRAL.
It is somewhat counter-productive if your supposed power house offensive defenceman contributes one goal per game but allows 1.5 goals against. Mailloux has enormous offensive upside but is somewhat clueless in the defensive zone.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I absolutely loved watching him play. So calm and always it seemed the right decision. Deadly on the PP.
How many breakaways did he send guys on? Max Pacioretty had quite a few. I loved him as well, definitely my favorite post cup hab. Eric Desjardins was another defenseman that I loved when he was here. Smart players are fun to watch.

Reactions: Runner77

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Lots of speculation about prospects and where they should play. Say what you want, but for most of them it's hard to know for sure. At the beginning of the year some wanted Mesar in the AHL, now we see that OHL was the right level for him. I was against sending Trudeau to Laval, thought it would be better for him to play one more year in the Q and dominate, and Trudeau proved me wrong with the way he plays now with the Rocket, even though I still think that playing in the Q this season would have been the safest option for him. Slafkovsky is another example. I wanted him the OHL to allow him to adapt to North America and dominate a league. I think I was right.

All that to say that it's hard to say for Mailloux. One more year in the OHL or AHL next year? NHL seems unlikely, but you never know. The progression of these young players is not linear. Remember Suzuki before his playoff performance at 19. Some were talking about a possible bust. Some players adapt more easily to better competition. Look at Owen Beck, he is not burning the OHL by any means, but he did not look out of place in his only game with the Habs and many say he will make the jump next year. As long as a player is strong enough physically, it's hard to know for sure how fast he will adapt to better competition, and some players benefit more to play with better teammates in the NHL, instead of the AHL where there is much more bad passes and so on.

Reactions: nicehiss

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I do hope habs managemnent are open minded enough to at least consider Mailloux and Hutson at forward IF, and that's a big if, they don't work out on D.

Byfuglien was pretty good both at forward and on D. Same with Brett Burns.

I always wished we had tried to convert De La Rose to a dman when it became clear he had no offensive aptitude whatsoever, in spite of being big, a good skater, and smart with the puck. Sounds like a potentially solid dman. Instead we predictably lost him for nothing on waivers.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I do hope habs managemnent are open minded enough to at least consider Mailloux and Hutson at forward IF, and that's a big if, they don't work out on D.

I always wished we had tried to convert De La Rose to a dman when it became clear he had no offensive aptitude whatsoever, in spite of being big, a good skater, and smart with the puck. Sounds like a potentially solid dman. Instead we predictably lost him for nothing on waivers.
Mats: you’re thinking outside of the box. That makes you dangerous.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Malakov What a beauty.Would look Elite in the present NHL .
6-4 220 lbs
Elite Skating.Elite Shot(wrister)PP,PK.
Shut down the Pens one playoff series.

If the Habs had any thoughts on Logan as a forward,Iam sure they would have talked to Dale Hunter of the London Knights.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad