Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Not really because you compare a 20 year old with mostly 18 years old. Great for Mailloux, just not a very informative stats
Not a big fan of Mailloux so I don't know why I'm arguing, but if Mailloux keep up this pace he's going to wind up in the top-30 for most goals as defenseman in a season in the OHL history.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
20 year olds often do better than 17-18 year olds in the OHL, so often that their gaudy stats are usually ignored... except for narrative builders like Grant McCagg

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not really because you compare a 20 year old with mostly 18 years old. Great for Mailloux, just not a very informative stats
That doesn't make sense. Are you telling us there were no 20-year-old defencemen in the OHL in the past 25 years? And by the way he is still only 19 but I guess you need to build your narrative by hook or crook.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That doesn't make sense. Are you telling us there were no 20-year-old defencemen in the OHL in the past 25 years? And by the way he is still only 19 but I guess you need to build your narrative by hook or crook.
Lol. I don't think there are many Dmen playing their FIRST 54 OHL games in their D+2 Season which is what the entire initial stat is based on.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Lol. I don't think there are many Dmen playing their FIRST 54 OHL games in their D+2 Season which is what the entire initial stat is based on.
Who is being dishonest?

Your argument wasn't the first 54 OHL games in their D+2. You took exception to comparing a 20-year-old to 18-year-olds. Go read your post that I responded to.

Lo and behold you label him as a 20-year-old yet he'll play the whole season as a 19-year-old.

Tell me again who is being dishonest.

Anyway, if you have doubts about this player it shouldn't be his offense. That's legit. It's his defensive play that has me worried.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Who is being dishonest?

Your argument wasn't the first 54 OHL games in their D+2. You took exception to comparing a 20-year-old to 18-year-olds. Go read your posts.

Lo and behold you label him as a 20-year-old yet he'll play the whole season as a 19-year-old.

19y vs 17y or 20y vs 18y is semantics, we Always compare in terms of D years. He is in his D+2 year so on average 2/3 years older than most good Ds in their first OHL Season.

Yes it was my argument in the discussion above. Go read my previous posts it was reacting to the fact he was the fastest D to reach than many goals in OHL. But I was arguing it was a flawed stat because of the reasons above.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Did Mailloux get better defensively, or does he just benefit from being in a strong team ?
It’s a bit of a ‘chicken or egg’ issue. But to answer your question, one only has to examine London’s record before Mailloux and George returned to the Knights’ lineup and the team’s record after their return. Before their return, London floundered. After their return, the Knights have been one of the top teams in the OHL. You draw your own conclusion.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He should have used his wrister more when he was playing in Sweden, but let's not dwell on the past. It's a deadly wrister.
Of the four goals that Mailloux scored in London’s last two two games, his shorthanded goal against Saginaw, a wrist shot from the point, was the most impressive. Few NHL players, let alone OHL players, have the ability to overpower a goalie using just a wrist shot from the point. When Mailloux arrives in Montreal, he will be bringing the best wrist shot from the point since Malakhov played with the team. Mailloux will be a real weapon that all opposing teams will have to account for.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Of the four goals that Mailloux scored in London’s last two two games, his shorthanded goal against Saginaw, a wrist shot from the point, was the most impressive. Few NHL players, let alone OHL players, have the ability to overpower a goalie using just a wrist shot from the point. When Mailloux arrives in Montreal, he will be bringing the best wrist shot from the point since Malakhov played with the team. Mailloux will be a real weapon that all opposing teams will have to account for.
Amazing that this kid has only played a total of 54 OHL games total up to this point.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Amazing that this kid has only played a total of 54 OHL games total up to this point.
No question. Mailloux has unlimited upside offensive potential. His vision, anticipation and elite shot are attributes that can’t be taught. Couple these innate abilities with Mailloux’s size and skating ability and you have a potential offensive star at the next level. One could only imagine what Mailloux’s game would be today if his development hadn’t been interrupted by his long periods of inactivity resulting from suspension and injury.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Who is being dishonest?

Your argument wasn't the first 54 OHL games in their D+2. You took exception to comparing a 20-year-old to 18-year-olds. Go read your post that I responded to.

Anyway, if you have doubts about this player it shouldn't be his offense. That's legit. It's his defensive play that has me worried.
I agree. This kid was born for offence. His defensive inclination seems to be an afterthought. As I have posted before, it would not surprise me if Mailloux is converted to power forward at the next level. He has the size, speed off the wing, vision, shot and offensive propensity to be a very successful NHL winger. The ‘Michigan’ move or otherwise.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Barring more injuries, Mailloux will carve out an nhl career. He has elite tools which are paramount to sticking in the big league.

Elite Size and speed, and an elite wrister. These attributes will give him every opportunity to play minutes in the NHL.

He also has a chance of becoming an impact player if he gets better with his decision making, defensive awareness and playmaking

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Regardless, Mailloux is doing better than a whole lot of previous 20 year olds.
He’s one of our most intriguing prospects for me. The kid has a ton of tools, the question will be, does he have the aptitude to develop on the finer parts of the game. Usually, I’d say, if hockey IQ is not great by 20 then it is very hard to improve, but Mailloux has missed a ton of hockey, so I’ll give him a bit longer before passing judgement. Kid can play, I think he’s good enough to carve out a career with just his talent alone.

Barring more injuries, Mailloux will carve out an nhl career. He has elite tools which are paramount to sticking in the big league.

Elite Size and speed, and an elite wrister. These attributes will give him every opportunity to play minutes in the NHL.

He also has a chance of becoming an impact player if he gets better with his decision making, defensive awareness and playmaking
I 100% agree, his raw tools are good enough to cover for some of his deficiencies on defence too imo. Kids going to play NHL minutes assuming the league doesn’t try to set an example out of Logan.

Reactions: HabzSauce

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I 100% agree, his raw tools are good enough to cover for some of his deficiencies on defence too imo. Kids going to play NHL minutes assuming the league doesn’t try to set an example out of Logan.
As a long time litigation lawyer and for the past 10 years an executive director of a major amateur sport organization, I can confidently say that the NHL will not bar Mailloux from playing in the NHL. The last thing the NHL (and its sponsors) want is embarrassing litigation that will expose that league's rather uneven and selective position with respect to players' suspensions. Short of Mailloux being found in a bawdy house, he's playing in the NHL.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Mark Streit had a good distance snap shot
as well and iirc Markov.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad