Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Again, Mailloux has some recovery to do for all the time he lost. Always strange to see guys definitive about 19-20 years old Ds. Mailloux has all the tools. How can you say he will never be as good or better than Guhle? His offensive production is already the same at 19 with all the time he missed. We will see for the defensive side.

About the coaches I was not answering you. Did you notice the stars I put there to try to show two parts? The machine is now automatically merging posts if you do them too quickly one after the other.

1. Guhle is miles better defensively. The fact you think it was a relevant example tells a lot.

2. His lack of development time is definitely a concern. You often can't just catch up. You're shouting about what ifs, but they didn't happen so they aren't relevant. We're not evaluating potential in a potential environment. We are talking about actual development which has been lacking in his case.

3. I did not mention coaches in this thread AFAIK, so WTF you're on going about?

4. Again, Trudeau and Barron have nothing to do with Mailloux, neither do they have a similar path to Mailloux.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't think Dale Hunter agrees with you re: "complete game" at this point. I don't think Mailloux could step into the NHL seamlessly right now, but all facets of his game are rounding into shape.

Nice 3 point +3 night against Owen Sound tonight. (edit: +4)

Strongly agree with this the more I watch Bonk. He's already sneaking inside the first round on a lot of draft lists and his progression has been such that I think he'll end up +/- 20th on Mackenzie's list by draft day. Bonk could be a real beauty - all the tools and a high IQ.

This draft is shaping up to have one hell of a strong first round.
Bonk’s a nice prospect, but Mailloux has a much higher ceiling. While tonight’s blow out win against Owen Sound makes it hard to get a good read on any of the players in the game, Mailloux showed high end, if not slick offensive skills. 8 shots on goal, 3 assists, multiple scoring chances and creative play making. Mailloux is a perplexing prospect, who at times looks like a future top two defenceman and at other times, something quite less. Much of this uncertainty is attributable to his extended periods of inactivity over the past three years. Whether Mailloux can overcome this arrested development is the real issue. If he can, then Montreal’s gamble may turn out to be transformative move.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Mailloux is one of the main reasons we'll need a better development coach in the AHL as soon as possible.

He has the skills to be an effective player in the NHL, but he'll need someone to work with to help put everything together and improve on his weaknesses.. not someone who will sit him for veterans if he makes mistakes.
The return of Joël Bouchard?

There's all kind of NHL defensemen that can't play a "complete game" at the NHL level. You can teach defense, but you can't teach offense. Mailloux has all the tools to be a very well rounded defenseman, but even if he turns out to be a more one dimensional offensive type with good size, he'll still have a role here, likely paired up with a more defensively sound partner.
Guhle + Mailloux sounds like a natural mix.

Reactions: 26Mats

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bonk’s a nice prospect, but Mailloux has a much higher ceiling. While tonight’s blow out win against Owen Sound makes it hard to get a good read on any of the players in the game, Mailloux showed high end, if not slick offensive skills. 8 shots on goal, 3 assists, multiple scoring chances and creative play making. Mailloux is a perplexing prospect, who at times looks like a future top two defenceman and at other times, something quite less. Much of this uncertainty is attributable to his extended periods of inactivity over the past three years. Whether Mailloux can overcome this arrested development is the real issue. If he can, then Montreal’s gamble may turn out to be transformative move.
Hasn't played 50 OHL games yet. You are right...that is arrested development.
Does he play in the O as an over age player next season?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Both can still develop over the next 2 years - Hutson physically and Struble as a sound dman.

And there's also Engstrom, Trudeau, Beaudin, etc... that can challenge this depth chart.
Call me crazy. But Mailloux’s upside is offensive not defensive. I don’t think he has the greatest intuitive defensive instincts. It wouldn’t surprise me if at some time in the future Mailloux is converted into a power forward. Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Call me crazy. But Mailloux’s upside is offensive not defensive. I don’t think he has the greatest intuitive defensive instincts. It wouldn’t surprise me if at some time in the future Mailloux is converted into a power forward. Wouldn’t surprise me at all.
That's an interesting idea.

Reactions: Dutronc

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Think Dach with better skating and a better shot.
Why wouldn't an offensive big boy like Mailloux not already have played as a forward? I mean, apart from the arrest, the whole scandal, the missed games, the suspension and all that working on himself, etc...?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Francis Bouillon ranks Logan Mailloux as the Habs' best prospect, with Joshua Roy at #2. He is praising the kid a lot.

Mailloux isn't my #1, but I agree with Bouillon 100%. Mailloux have so much talent. Guhle is the perfect partner for a player like Mailloux. Everyone want a top RD, but maybe it's Mailloux. He is very impressive.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Mailloux is similar to Barron with me. Big boys that skate well, have a good shot, and offensive instincts. But they need to learn how to be stable on the Defensive zone. It's going to be a process cause even with Barron, there is untapped potential.
RDs are a hot commodity and we should allow them to develop before changing one of them to a forward (???) as a previous poster suggested. Becoming a top defenceman is a process.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He's been compared to Burns before and Burns did play at forward. It's not a crazy idea but I'd try him on D in Laval 1st. Then go from there.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Big mobile defensemen are a great investment and can keep getting better tactically through their 20’s and 30’s + have long careers. Mailloux, Barron, (heck even Xhekaj and Guhle) have a decade to build on their awesome physical attributes. Good looking D core already imo.

Reactions: Hins77

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Mailloux is similar to Barron with me. Big boys that skate well, have a good shot, and offensive instincts. But they need to learn how to be stable on the Defensive zone. It's going to be a process cause even with Barron, there is untapped potential.
It's more his IQ the problem for me. His decisions making are fine for the junior, but there are so strange decisions in his game in all the zone.

The package however is unbelievable. 6f3, right handed, great mobility/edges, great skating, an NHL caliber wrist shot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's more his IQ the problem for me. His decisions making are fine for the junior, but there are so strange decisions in his game in all the zone.

The package however is unbelievable. 6f3, right handed, great mobility/edges, great skating, an NHL caliber wrist shot.

Potential that needs to come together. I rather have it than not have it. He's missed a lot of hockey so he needs more maturity time vs others. Hockey IQ is a big question mark yes. We will see how that changes over time. Habs got a good look at him in camp.

Reactions: Tyson and Addik04

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Potential that needs to come together. I rather have it than not have it. He's missed a lot of hockey so he needs more maturity time vs others. Hockey IQ is a big question mark yes. We will see how that changes over time. Habs got a good look at him in camp.
I always felt myself for having played both RW and RHD it is much easier to read the play on D. You’re almost always facing the play and there is much less improv to the game. I obviously never played at these guy’s level, but I’m more worried about say Slaf’s IQ than Barron or Mailloux’s. D’s could always play within a system and rely on being big, mean and having a long reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
With the statement made by Bettman a few months back regarding Mailloux not having been cleared to play on the NHL, how does this play out?
Habs signed him so they believe he has potential to play in the NHL. What obstacles from the league office are in the way and will they be significant?

We know there are many dirtbags already in the league but this new mindset might bring challenges for new players trying to make it into the NHL.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
we already thin at RD why would we convert our best RD prospect to forward? Mailloux missed almost 2 years of hockey we just need to be patient with him

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad