Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
As cphabs says: What you permit? You promote! Like running Price, skates first, with no consequence from his teammates. I could go on and on. I salute this kid.
I would salute him more if he worked harder on his conditioning. After missing largely 3 years of development, the last thing this young player needs is engaging in extra-curricular conduct that deprives him of more ice time. The incident that he responded to was largely inconsequential in the flow of that game. His response was an over -reaction and, as I posted earlier, all too predictable based on his earlier belligerence. Both he, and more importantly, his coaches, have to know that Mailloux is a marked man and any transgression will be dealt with harshly. Did his transgression warrant a three game suspension? For any other player? No. But Mailloux is not any other player and he is lucky that it was only three games. The issue of safety in sports now underlines operational policies of all sport organizations across North America. Ignore this issue and you create liability for your organization and threaten your funding from governmental sources and sponsors. I deal with this issue everyday in my organization as we review and amend our policies to ensure that we are taking all reasonable (and sometimes unreasonable) actions to protect the safety our participants from, managers, coaches other players and, yes, on occasion, from themselves.

It was readily apparent to me, as an experienced sports administrator, that Mailloux's on ice antics were out of control. While the main fault rests with the player himself, some fault is attributable to the coaches who failed to speak to this kid in order to restrain his obvious growing lack of on-ice discipline. It was all so foreseeable: which, as all lawyers here know, is the essence of negligent and actionable conduct.

No, there is no saluting this player or his coaches.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I would salute him more if he worked harder on his conditioning. After missing largely 3 years of development, the last thing this young player needs is engaging in extra-curricular conduct that deprives him of more ice time. The incident that he responded to was largely inconsequential in the flow of that game. His response was an over -reaction and, as I posted earlier, all too predictable based on his earlier belligerence. Both he, and more importantly, his coaches, have to know that Mailloux is a marked man and any transgression will be dealt with harshly. Did his transgression warrant a three game suspension? For any other player? No. But Mailloux is not any other player and he is lucky that it was only three games. The issue of safety in sports now underlines operational policies of all sport organizations across North America. Ignore this issue and you create liability for your organization and threaten your funding from governmental sources and sponsors. I deal with this issue everyday in my organization as we review and amend our policies to ensure that we are taking all reasonable (and sometimes unreasonable) actions to protect the safety our participants from, managers, coaches other players and, yes, on occasion, from themselves.

It was readily apparent to me, as an experienced sports administrator, that Mailloux's on ice antics were out of control. While the main fault rests with the player himself, some fault is attributable to the coaches who failed to speak to this kid in order to restrain his obvious growing lack of on-ice discipline. It was all so foreseeable: which, as all lawyers here know, is the essence of negligent and actionable conduct.

No, there is no saluting this player or his coaches.
Lmfao

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Knights lost this game 6-3 against the SOO. But they had won 9 straight games previously. It was their third game in 3 nights also. Greyhounds scored 3 unanswered goals in third period. So sounds like fatigue.

Mailloux times you can see the skill. Big, can skate lug the puck. Then times you see the defensive misques and poor decisions at times. Hes missed so much time it's hard to judge him. It's a wildcard with him. If he gets in right development program with good leadership could be all-star in NHL.

Bonk scored late in first to put London up 2-1. Early in game I didn't care for Bonk but came around as game wore on. Tall, Good size, skates well, decent hands for 18 year old. Plays solid defensive game. Next year he will likely improve as third year junior usually means a lot for defensemen. I don't know where he is slated to go in draft, I wouldn't spend a first on him, but if he slides could be good pickup.

Mark Hunter first time I seen him since his Montreal days. Hard to believe Good Friday Massacre almost 40 years ago. I remember him vividly in that brawl.

In the intermission they were saying London likely to add scoring star at deadline. So Wright rumours could be true. I think they said deadline for overagers is today. Tuesday on rest of players. London looked to have 4 good lines, solid D, decent netminding. They have shot at Memorial Cup.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Yea. I saw Bonk was in the line-up for London today. He scored.

If he was in a trade, I doubt London would play him.
That for sure is true. Also, it never fits Hunter’s MO to pay full ticket for anything. And Bonk plus six picks would be. Hunter has his core assets and his expendables. I’d be stunned if Bonk wasn’t in his core going forward and if he valued Wright so highly as to break his own strategy.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Wright with Mailloux? Damn.
Here’s my short assessment of Mailloux’s play against the Guelph Storm tonight.

Overall: It was an uninspiring game for Mailloux. There was little snap to his game as Mailloux played an overall passive game. In fact, it was one of his least impressive performances that I witnessed this year

Offensive Game: Though he was held pointless and we didn’t see Mailloux’s usual number of end-to-end rushes, Mailloux did ring two shots off the cross bar when he overpowered the Guelph goalie. Mailloux almost scored another goal on one of his rare rushes. Though he made a number of excellent passes, the lack of urgency in his game really undermined the overall effectiveness in his offensive game.

Defensive Game: Frankly, Mailloux’s defensive game can be described in one word: Bad. His lack of urgency/ energy was matched by poor decisions and positioning. While I usually find the +/- statistic at times misleading, Mailloux’s -3 ( the worse on his team) was, regrettably, an accurate reflection of Mailloux’s level of play in this game. Mailloux rarely used his size to physically challenge opponents and in the one instance when he did, (devastating a Guelph player when the London net was empty for an extra attacker), the puck went to another Guelph player who scored into the empty net. It was just another example in a litany of bad on-ice decisions.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Here’s my short assessment of Mailloux’s play against the Guelph Storm tonight.

Overall: It was an uninspiring game for Mailloux. There was little snap to his game as Mailloux played an overall passive game. In fact, it was one of his least impressive performances that I witnessed this year

Offensive Game: Though he was held pointless and we didn’t see Mailloux’s usual number of end-to-end rushes, Mailloux did ring two shots off the cross bar when he overpowered the Guelph goalie. Mailloux almost scored another goal on one of his rare rushes. Though he made a number of excellent passes, the lack of urgency in his game really undermined the overall effectiveness in his offensive game.

Defensive Game: Frankly, Mailloux’s defensive game can be described in one word: Bad. His lack of urgency/ energy was matched by poor decisions and positioning. While I usually find the +/- statistic at times misleading, Mailloux’s -3 ( the worse on his team) was, regrettably, an accurate reflection of Mailloux’s level of play in this game. Mailloux rarely used his size to physically challenge opponents and in the one instance when he did, (devastating a Guelph player when the London net was empty for an extra attacker), the puck went to another Guelph player who scored into the empty net. It was just another example in a litany of bad on-ice decisions.
Would you select Bonk with our 2nd round pick?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Would you select Bonk with our 2nd round pick?
It all depends, of course, on which other players are available. While I think Bonk is a certain NHLer, I question his ultimate upside. I see him as a stable Savard-like level defender who possess more mobility and higher offensive skills. I think he will be drafted in the 15 to 25 range, so if Florida has a strong second half, he may be an option for our second first round pick. Bonk will not drop past the first round and may be drafted higher by any team looking for a safe type of defender who can play 20 to 25 minutes a game, brings a level of physicality and can pitch in with some offence. I wouldn't complain if we take him with Florida's first round pick, depending again on how high that pick turns out to be.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It all depends, of course, which other players are available. While I think Bonk is a certain NHLer, I question his ultimate upside. I see him as a stable Savard-like level defender who possess more mobility and higher offensive skills. I think he will be drafted in the 15 to 25 range, so if Florida has a strong second half, he may be an option for our second first round pick. Bonk will not drop past the first round and may be drafted higher by any team looking for a safe type of defender who can play 20 to 25 minutes a game, brings a level of physicality and can pitch in with some offence. I wouldn't complain if we take him with Florida's first round pick, depending again on how high that pick turns out to be.
First round I would want Defenseman higher upside. Looking for the offense. Bonk sounds like Barron type. We already have that player. If he is there at our 2nd I would pick him.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
First round I would want Defenseman higher upside. Looking for the offense. Bonk sounds like Barron type. We already have that player. If he is there at our 2nd I would pick him.
Barron is a much more fluid skater. But I think from what I have seen to date, Bonk has a higher hockey IQ. And while I agree his upside may be a bit limited, if the ‘value’ of the Florida pick declines, the high certainty of Bonk’s being an NHler may make him an attractive option. Over the past few years we have gambled on a few high picks and it may be time to adopt a more conservative tack, regardless of how boring such an approach is.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Barron is a much more fluid skater. But I think from what I have seen to date, Bonk has a higher hockey IQ. And while I agree his upside may be a bit limited, if the ‘value’ of the Florida pick declines, the high certainty of Bonk’s being an NHler may make him an attractive option. Over the past few years we have gambled on a few high picks and it may be time to adopt a more conservative tack, regardless of how boring such an approach is.
Drafting more Chipchuras and Leblancs and Tinordis in the 1st round? Haven't we suffered enough?

1st round should basically always be swinging for homeruns as far as I'm concerned

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Drafting more Chipchuras and Leblancs and Tinordis in the 1st round? Haven't we suffered enough?

1st round should basically always be swinging for homeruns as far as I'm concerned
No. It all depends on team makeup. Problem is montreal hasn't had a championship team in years. If you already have Letang, Crosby and Malkin in their twenties, then you don't need to swing for the fences. You can look for players who will complete your lineup on the cheap.

That being said, I don't think it's time for montreal to go conservative at all. With our hoarde of picks, we should have plenty of depth in the coming years. Top of the lineup players is what we most likely don't have enough of. So that's what we need to keep looking for.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
No. It all depends on team makeup. Problem is montreal hasn't had a championship team in years. If you already have Letang, Crosby and Malkin in their twenties, then you don't need to swing for the fences. You can look for players who will complete your lineup on the cheap.

That being said, I don't think it's time for montreal to go conservative at all. With our hoarde of picks, we should have plenty of depth in the coming years. Top of the lineup players is what we most likely don't have enough of. So that's what we need to keep looking for.
Disagree.

Even with Crosby Malkin and Letang I’d rather draft Caufield and be able to trade him for a few good pieces than draft Tinordi or Chipchura

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Disagree.

Even with Crosby Malkin and Letang I’d rather draft Caufield and be able to trade him for a few good pieces than draft Tinordi or Chipchura

Okay but this is just disingenuous.

Would you prefer Lawson Crouse or Filatov? Joel Erikson Ek or Gilbert Brule? Jakob Chychrun or Jesse Puljujarvi?

Anyone can pick the best and worst cases of each category to make it seem like an obvious statement.

But when you draft without hindsight, you don't know how they will turn out. There is a case to be made for a team to try to get their complementary players, who they feel have lower upside but a higher chance to succeed, rather than a high-upside player with big flaws.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Okay but this is just disingenuous.

Would you prefer Lawson Crouse or Filatov? Joel Erikson Ek or Gilbert Brule? Jakob Chychrun or Jesse Puljujarvi?

Anyone can pick the best and worst cases of each category to make it seem like an obvious statement.

But when you draft without hindsight, you don't know how they will turn out. There is a case to be made for a team to try to get their complementary players, who they feel have lower upside but a higher chance to succeed, rather than a high-upside player with big flaws.
I feel like you can get your 3rd and 4th liners in lower rounds a lot more routinely than you’ll find too talent, therefore I feel like we should go for top talent in the first rounds.

And I wasn’t disingenuous, my point is even going for « low risk » players we’ve hit a bunch of busts. Might as well try to get the home run if we routinely miss anyway.

Agree to disagree.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

It helps to have runners on base when those home runs happen.

Reactions: themilosh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad