Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That's interesting about his conditioning issues and play on back to back games. With all the time he's missed it kind of makes sense, but if he wants it bad enough I think he'll be a starting dman at the nhl level. It's clear he has the tools but does he have the work ethic to get him to the nhl. Time will tell.
Here's my short assessment of Mailloux's play last night against the Erie Otters:

Overall: Mailloux played a steady game and played in all leveraged situations (Power Play; Penalty Kill, 4 on 4 and when the Otters had pulled their goalie when the score was 3-1. Once the Knights (George) scored an empty net goal, Hunter sat Mailloux. Interestingly, after the Otters scored in the last minute to make the score 4-2, Hunter quickly put Mailloux back on the ice. While Mailloux played with a number of the other Knights' defencemen, he was largely paired with George and when the two of them were on the ice they largely controlled the flow of play.

Offensively: By Mailloux's standards, it was a relatively quite, but controlled game. Mailloux was somewhat clumsy in his puck handling at the start of the game probably a result of the long holiday break. Nevertheless, Mailloux led the team in shots and was a threat most of the game. His passing and vision remained top notch and he made a number of intuitive passes in all three zones of the ice. Hunter continues to use Mailloux on the half boards during power plays (ala Ovechkin, Stamos, Caufield) and Mailloux must have taken at least a half dozen one-timers that were just blurs on the ice. Mailloux could have had three or four goals in the game as he: hit the cross bar on a shot from the slot that the goalie still hasn't seen; missed on a clear break-a-way from the blueline while playing 4 on 4 and missed numerous chances when his shot from the point/half board or the slot missed the net, was blocked or the goalie made a save. While his offensive presence was noticeable; I didn't think his offensive game was as dynamic as I have seen in the past. He made a couple of his end to end rushes each period, but largely played a safe, controlled game. Mailloux still has to learn how to get his shot through from the point and the half board. His shot is easily NHL level in power. But if he wants to have a major offensive impact at the next level he has to get that great shot through and on the net. As Xhakej has shown so far at the NHL level, get your shot on the net and good things happen. And Mailloux's shot is at least as good as Xhakej's.

Defensively: Mailloux played a largely non-descript defensive game. He made most of the correct reads, played a physical game that allowed him to smother opposing players on the boards, used his long reach to interdict passing lanes and was never cleanly beaten wide when defending the rush. His gap control still remains a work in progress as he still relies too much on his stick to stop and control opposing players. While this tactic may work at the OHL level, it will be far less effective in the NHL where the players he will be trying to defend against will, in most part, be bigger, faster and stronger. On a positive note, other than one errant pass in the third period, Mailloux committed no major defensive mistakes.

Other Notes: Isaiah George was the best player on the ice last night. He used his superior skating to: control the defensive zone; skate the puck out of harm's way and carry out several offensive rushes that led to high level scoring chances and one goal. This kid was a steal in the fourth round and soon will have many teams wondering how he slipped so low. How Team Canada didn't even invite him to the evaluation camp is incomprehensible to this observer.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I'm extremely optimistic about his future.

He and Beck are money in the bank as far as I'm concerned.
Here is my short assessment of Mailloux's play in London's game against the Sarnia Sting:

Overall: Mailloux's positive play was marred by a glaring lack of discipline which resulted in Mailloux receiving a match penalty and most probably a 2 to 3 game suspension. The incident occurred late in the third period when Mailloux overreacted to a Sarnia player taking a late run at the London goalie. The Sting forward had aggressively barged into the crease knocking down and ending up on top of the Knights' goalie. The Sarnia forward, who was properly receiving a penalty for his play was then jumped by Mailloux who proceeded to repeatedly punched the Sarnia player while he lay on the ice. It was an unnecessary and a complete overreaction to a play that happens a half a dozen times a game. It was a selfish move that hurt his team by both giving the opposing team a 3 minute power play (the Sting player was given a 2 minute roughing penalty for his initial interaction with the London goalie) and most likely depriving his team of one of its most important players for up to 3 games if Mailloux is suspended for his actions that resulted in his match penalty. Someone in the Canadiens' organization is going to have to speak to this kid and strongly remind him how his previous lack of judgment almost ruined his career. This player does not need any more drama in his life.

As for Mailloux's performance before his expulsion its interesting to note that with this game being the first of back to back games, Mailloux's ice time was curtailed. He was paired with Edwards (the Boston draft choice) and while he played his normal shift and on the power play, he largely did not play on the penalty kill. I am convinced that Hunter has Mailloux on a 'pitch count' in recognition that after his long layoff, Mailloux is still not in top game shape.

Offensively: Mailloux had a productive game offensively scoring his 11th goal when he overpowered the Sarnia goalie with a shot when he participated on a three-on-one rush. Mailloux again displayed excellent vision and made numerous passes that both created scoring chances and allowed London to successfully escape/exit their defensive zone. In the third period Mailloux made a bullet pass while under pressure from the top of the circle in his zone to a teammate at the offensive blue line that led to the London's seventh goal. I don't think that there is one current Montreal defenceman who could consistently make that pass.

Defensively: Mailloux played a stout defensive game and used his mobility, size, positioning and reach to break up multiple Sarnia attacks at London's blueline. A turnover caused by Mailloux's defensive play directly led to London's first goal. Mailloux displayed explosive skating and fluidity which allowed him to break up Sarnia offensive forays and join and support London's transition game.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Here is my short assessment of Mailloux's play in London's game against the Sarnia Sting:

Overall: Mailloux's positive play was marred by a glaring lack of discipline which resulted in Mailloux receiving a match penalty and most probably a 2 to 3 game suspension. The incident occurred late in the third period when Mailloux overreacted to a Sarnia player taking a late run at the London goalie. The Sting forward had aggressively barged into the crease knocking down and ending up on top of the Knights' goalie. The Sarnia forward, who was properly receiving a penalty for his play was then jumped by Mailloux who proceeded to repeatedly punched the Sarnia player while he lay on the ice. It was an unnecessary and a complete overreaction to a play that happens a half a dozen times a game. It was a selfish move that hurt his team by both giving the opposing team a 3 minute power play (the Sting player was given a 2 minute roughing penalty for his initial interaction with the London goalie) and most likely depriving his team of one of its most important players for up to 3 games if Mailloux is suspended for his actions that resulted in his match penalty. Someone in the Canadiens' organization is going to have to speak to this kid and strongly remind him how his previous lack of judgment almost ruined his career. This player does not need any more drama in his life.

As for Mailloux's performance before his expulsion its interesting to note that with this game being the first of back to back games, Mailloux's ice time was curtailed. He was paired with Edwards (the Boston draft choice) and while he played his normal shit and on the power play, he largely did not play on the penalty kill. I am convinced that Hunter has Mailloux on a 'pitch count' in recognition that after his long layoff, Mailloux is still not in top game shape.

Offensively: Mailloux had a productive game offensively scoring his 11th goal when he overpowered the Sarnia goalie with a shot when he participated on a three-on-one rush. Mailloux again displayed excellent vision and made numerous passes that both created scoring chances and allowed London to successfully escape/exit their defensive zone. In the third period Mailloux made a bullet pass while under pressure from the top of the circle in his zone to a teammate at the offensive blue line that led to the London's seventh goal. I don't think that there is one current Montreal defenceman who could consistently make that pass.

Defensively: Mailloux played a stout defensive game and used his mobility, size, positioning and reach to break up multiple Sarnia attacks at London's blueline. A turnover caused by Mailloux's defensive play directly led to London's first goal. Mailloux displayed explosive skating and fluidity which allowed him to break up Sarnia offensive forays and join and support London's transition game.
Too bad he decided to act like an idiot...all he needs is to miss more games...geez

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

As for Mailloux's performance before his expulsion its interesting to note that with this game being the first of back to back games, Mailloux's ice time was curtailed. He was paired with Edwards (the Boston draft choice) and while he played his normal shit and on the power play, he largely did not play on the penalty kill. I am convinced that Hunter has Mailloux on a 'pitch count' in recognition that after his long layoff, Mailloux is still not in top game shape.

Thanks for these reports. I really appreciate them.

DailyKaizen

Yes, the way to dissuade anyone who's on the brink of suicide is to have them read Nietzsche. A foolproof plan of curing anyone of their mental ailments.
Nietzsche has helped alot of people's mental health and so has @FF de Mars and so have you...

Let us waste no more time arguing what a good human is...and be one 🙏

Marcus Aurelius

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

I suppose my running commentaries about this perplexing player will have to go into standby for the next week. It will be interesting to see how London fares without Mailloux in the lineup. Without him and George in their lineup, London had one of the worse records in the OHL. With both playing , London has had the best record in the OHL.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

As for Mailloux's performance before his expulsion its interesting to note that with this game being the first of back to back games, Mailloux's ice time was curtailed. He was paired with Edwards (the Boston draft choice) and while he played his normal shift and on the power play, he largely did not play on the penalty kill. I am convinced that Hunter has Mailloux on a 'pitch count' in recognition that after his long layoff, Mailloux is still not in top game shape.

You are the chairman of this thread.

Excellent recaps.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I played elite sport , and the coach I’ve had won a couple of championship in his career.

Ive heard him say a couple time when dealing with over agressive/violent players: you don’t win championship only with altar boys.

So, I think we will appreciate the physicality of our defense with Xhekaj, Ghule, Mailloux , struble (?), etc in the near future.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Not a Mailloux fan but good for him. Seems that the goalie was ran over and over all game long.
I am a Mailloux ‘fan’ and would suggest that your praise is a bit misplaced. The incident in question warranted a penalty but was not grievous and Mailloux’s reaction was unwarranted. Mailloux has to be smart enough to know that in these heightened sensitive times he will be playing under a microscope. Any transgressions either on the ice or off the ice will be dealt with disproportionately.

What I can’t understand is Hunter’s lack of true coaching last night. It was obvious that Mailloux was spoiling for a fight, as he repeatedly engaged in pushing and yapping at Sarnia players during stoppages in play. Hunter should have spoken to Mailloux and threatened to sit him if he couldn’t control his emotions.

Coaching of young players involves more than just line combinations. In my current position I am responsible for managing dozens of coaches, both paid and volunteer. I routinely have to speak to, correct, advise and at times, fire them. If Hunter worked for me, I would have definitely spoken to him about his failure to control this, at times, volatile young player.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
London game against SSM will be aired Sunday afternoon. Shaw channel 333, HD Sports 1. Good chance wstch Mailloux.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I had tickets to the Knights game against Guelph the other night - missed the chance to see Logan, obviously. Oliver Bonk was slotted into Mailloux's usual role and looked really, really good. Very intriguing young RD that the habs might well consider if they can pick up another late first round pick. Wouldn't be shocked if he moves up to the 15-25 range in this draft.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Here's my short assessment of Mailloux's play last night against the Erie Otters:

Overall: Mailloux played a steady game and played in all leveraged situations (Power Play; Penalty Kill, 4 on 4 and when the Otters had pulled their goalie when the score was 3-1. Once the Knights (George) scored an empty net goal, Hunter sat Mailloux. Interestingly, after the Otters scored in the last minute to make the score 4-2, Hunter quickly put Mailloux back on the ice. While Mailloux played with a number of the other Knights' defencemen, he was largely paired with George and when the two of them were on the ice they largely controlled the flow of play.

Offensively: By Mailloux's standards, it was a relatively quite, but controlled game. Mailloux was somewhat clumsy in his puck handling at the start of the game probably a result of the long holiday break. Nevertheless, Mailloux led the team in shots and was a threat most of the game. His passing and vision remained top notch and he made a number of intuitive passes in all three zones of the ice. Hunter continues to use Mailloux on the half boards during power plays (ala Ovechkin, Stamos, Caufield) and Mailloux must have taken at least a half dozen one-timers that were just blurs on the ice. Mailloux could have had three or four goals in the game as he: hit the cross bar on a shot from the slot that the goalie still hasn't seen; missed on a clear break-a-way from the blueline while playing 4 on 4 and missed numerous chances when his shot from the point/half board or the slot missed the net, was blocked or the goalie made a save. While his offensive presence was noticeable; I didn't think his offensive game was as dynamic as I have seen in the past. He made a couple of his end to end rushes each period, but largely played a safe, controlled game. Mailloux still has to learn how to get his shot through from the point and the half board. His shot is easily NHL level in power. But if he wants to have a major offensive impact at the next level he has to get that great shot through and on the net. As Xhakej has shown so far at the NHL level, get your shot on the net and good things happen. And Mailloux's shot is at least as good as Xhakej's.

Defensively: Mailloux played a largely non-descript defensive game. He made most of the correct reads, played a physical game that allowed him to smother opposing players on the board, used his long reach to interdict passing lanes and was never cleanly beaten wide when defending the rush. His gap control still remains a work in progress as he still relies too much on his stick to stop and control opposing players. While this tactic may work at the OHL level, it will be far less effective in the NHL where the players he will be trying to defend against will, in most part, be bigger, faster and stronger. On a positive note, other than one errant pass in the third period, Mailloux committed no major defensive mistakes.

Other Notes: Isaiah George was the best player on the ice last night. He used his superior skating to: control the defensive zone; skate the puck out of harm's way and carry out several offensive rushes that led to high level scoring chances and one goal. This kid was a steal in the fourth round and soon will have many teams wondering how he slipped so low. How Team Canada didn't even invite him to the evaluation camp is incomprehensible to this observer.
Thanks for the effort in his performance review. Awesome stuff!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad