Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Weirdly it's coming from the French media. They're claiming Mailloux is NHL ready and the 2nd best d man in the CHL. Really weird.
‘They’? It appears to be one dude - but now a lot of those Twitter scouts are pretending like this is some far right conspiracy to pump up Logan.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
‘They’? It appears to be one dude - but now a lot of those Twitter scouts are pretending like this is some far right conspiracy to pump up Logan.

Leroux after Renaud. I'd have to see the far right conspiracy takes cause it's been pretty measured from what I've seen.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Probably more Montreal-centric media. I don’t see why the far right would care, Mailloux seems to be young and dumb rather than mean.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Where? It's probably buried deep into the comments.. 'cause the guys who are on Twitter and post scouting content, videos, etc. are all pretty much pointing out valid criticisms.

I haven't seen anyone with the same platform knock Mailloux down because of the off-ice items.
Alternatively, I haven’t seen anyone (in the media) provide any critiques that are positive outside of stat and highlight watching fans.

Everyone knows players in junior are long shots but for every other long shot we have it’s fairly positive media coverage at this stage in development as it’s upward trending.

For Mailloux i have yet to see an article/ tweet from the usual sources that speaks even moderately positive about his performance.

As an example Carson lambos was drafted 26th overall in 2021 has done nothing particularly remarkable since his draft the same as Mailloux.

Lambos
“Carson lambos is a key to the wilds future”

Lambos back and better than ever

Top 100 prospects “lambos proving doubters wrong #72”

I understand narratives, but this feels like a case where people are deliberately avoiding positive messaging around Mailloux. Because the last news source I find on him goes straight to his signing.

That’s not to say that he is without flaws that he needs to develop but that Mailloux is now held to a different standard of performance vs other prospects

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Alternatively, I haven’t seen anyone (in the media) provide any critiques that are positive outside of stat and highlight watching fans.

Everyone knows players in junior are long shots but for every other long shot we have it’s fairly positive media coverage at this stage in development as it’s upward trending.

For Mailloux i have yet to see an article/ tweet from the usual sources that speaks even moderately positive about his performance.

As an example Carson lambos was drafted 26th overall in 2021 has done nothing particularly remarkable since his draft the same as Mailloux.

Lambos
“Carson lambos is a key to the wilds future”

Lambos back and better than ever

Top 100 prospects “lambos proving doubters wrong #72”

I understand narratives, but this feels like a case where people are deliberately avoiding positive messaging around Mailloux. Because the last news source I find on him goes straight to his signing.

That’s not to say that he is without flaws that he needs to develop but that Mailloux is now held to a different standard of performance vs other prospects
Perhaps. But I think its more a case of laziness. To truly assess any developing player you have to watch him closely, whether on tape or in person. Most pundits don’t have the time or opportunity to fully gauge a player’s potential and thus form (and regurgitate) their opinions on the established consensus and their own positive or negative leanings about the player’s character. There’s no odious conspiracy here, just another manifestation of a collective lack of knowledge and any effort to gain the correct insight as to this player’s skills and potential.

Reactions: jrom and MadMslm

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Anybody with a brain that watches him play and REALLY wants Team Canada to win do NOT want him on our team. You don't need his offense, you already have D's for that. And with the forwards we have, you actually don't need an end-to-end highlight guy. What this Team Canada needs actually is strong defensive minds. Mailloux is so far from there. Right now, he's a coach nightmare on his end. And while he has time to go, and he's behind for all the reasons we know, it will start to be concerning real soon.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Anybody with a brain that watches him play and REALLY wants Team Canada to win do NOT want him on our team. You don't need his offense, you already have D's for that. And with the forwards we have, you actually don't need an end-to-end highlight guy. What this Team Canada needs actually is strong defensive minds. Mailloux is so far from there. Right now, he's a coach nightmare on his end. And while he has time to go, and he's behind for all the reasons we know, it will start to be concerning real soon.
I would also add that what Hockey Canada does not need right now is a distraction, and Mailloux would certainly be that. With everything that happened in the last 6 months, there would be questions every day from some journalists about Mailloux being an example of redemption, etc, instead of talking about actual hockey. In fact, even Mailloux may be relieved of not being part of that circus.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our development staff and it's head will be crucial for Mailloux. We'll see what they can do with him - and Barron...

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Well, Hunter doesn't see the nightmare that you claim Mailloux is on defence. Mailloux plays almost the entirety of all penalty kills and has the skating, size and reach that allows him to bring a defensive element to match his obvious offensive talents. Is he 'there' yet? No. I have repeatedly pointed out his defensive 'weaknesses' in my continuing assessments of his play. But you may well be disappointed in some of the Team Canada's invitees on the defence in their efforts and struggles to cope with the speed and skill of opposing forwards that they will be facing. Some reputations may be spoiled. I for one will miss the opportunity of watching Mailloux use his elite passing skills that he could have used in hitting the many talented Team Canada forwards on breakouts. Most of Mailloux's current London team mates are unable to cleanly receive his laser like passes. I don't think that would be a problem he would face in passing to Bedard, Fantilli, etc. Mailloux already has superior passing skills to most (all?) of Montreal's current defencemen.

Taking aside the off-ice cloud that is currently engulfing Mailloux, I wouldn't select him for Team Canada because I strongly believe he is not yet in top game shape after largely sitting for two years. He continues to show fatigue when playing back to back games or multiple games in a compressed schedule. The WJC is a short tournament where multiple games are played in a compressed time frame. Its also played against the best of his age group. I think that the pace of playing such a schedule would greatly limited Mailloux's effectiveness. He will have more chances to represent Canada in the future.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well, Hunter doesn't see the nightmare that you claim Mailloux is on defence. Mailloux plays almost the entirety of all penalty kills and has the skating, size and reach that allows him to bring a defensive element to match his obvious offensive talents. Is he 'there' yet? No. I have repeatedly pointed out his defensive 'weaknesses' in my continuing assessments of his play. But you may well be disappointed in some of the Team Canada's invitees on the defence in their efforts and struggles to cope with the speed and skill of opposing forwards that they will be facing. Some reputations may be spoiled. I for one will miss the opportunity of watching Mailloux use his elite passing skills that he could have used in hitting the many talented Team Canada forwards on breakouts. Most of Mailloux's current London team mates are unable to cleanly receive his laser like passes. I don't think that would be a problem he would face in passing to Bedard, Fantilli, etc. Mailloux already has superior passing skills to most (all?) of Montreal's current defencemen.

Taking aside the off-ice cloud that is currently engulfing Mailloux, I wouldn't select him for Team Canada because I strongly believe he is yet in top game shape after largely sitting for two years. He continues to show fatigue when playing back to back games or multiple games in a compressed schedule. The WJC is a short tournament where multiple games are played in a compressed time frame. Its also played against the best of his age group. I think that the pace of such a playing schedule would greatly limited Mailloux's effectiveness. He will have more chances to represent Canada in the future.
There is a WORLD of difference between playing for your own team and Team Canada. That team is MOST OF THE TIME always able to bring d-men that won't be a problem in their zone. And when they do along the way, they become No7.

Also, all the things you mention he has...he has. Yet, doesn't use it. Often passive in his zone. Could rough up players way more than he does. The only thing that works better for his is his reach. But I swear....watch one game. Just 1 game. I watch most of his games. And I've never come up with anything else than frustration and what the heck is he doing moments. Defensively, of course. There's just no room for players like that in a short tournament like that.

It doesn't mean he will bust. It doesn't mean he's a bad player. The topic at hand is World Juniors. And he doesn't belong there. At all. the only thing people are able to rave about are his offense. Yet...where are Corson Ceulemans and Denton Mateychuk? And just in the OHL...Buchinger? Donovan? Sova? Nelson?

Mailloux lost so much time playing. Let him far away the spotlight as much as possible. Before he joins the jungle.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
There is a WORLD of difference between playing for your own team and Team Canada. That team is MOST OF THE TIME always able to bring d-men that won't be a problem in their zone. And when they do along the way, they become No7.

Also, all the things you mention he has...he has. Yet, doesn't use it. Often passive in his zone. Could rough up players way more than he does. The only thing that works better for his is his reach. But I swear....watch one game. Just 1 game. I watch most of his games. And I've never come up with anything else than frustration and what the heck is he doing moments. Defensively, of course. There's just no room for players like that in a short tournament like that.

It doesn't mean he will bust. It doesn't mean he's a bad player. The topic at hand is World Juniors. And he doesn't belong there. At all. the only thing people are able to rave about are his offense. Yet...where are Corson Ceulemans and Denton Mateychuk? And just in the OHL...Buchinger? Donovan? Sova? Nelson?

Mailloux lost so much time playing. Let him far away the spotlight as much as possible. Before he joins the jungle.
While you may be frustrated, it would appear that his coach doesn’t share your frustrations. And I too watch all Mailloux’s games. He is London’s go to defenceman in both defensive and offensive situations. He is London’s most dynamic defenceman by a long shot. That being said, I stand by my earlier position as to why I would not have selected Mailloux for the team. Despite his non-selection, I remain convinced that Mailloux will play in the NHL, and play at a high level, for Montreal, or for some other team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would also add that what Hockey Canada does not need right now is a distraction, and Mailloux would certainly be that. With everything that happened in the last 6 months, there would be questions every day from some journalists about Mailloux being an example of redemption, etc, instead of talking about actual hockey. In fact, even Mailloux may be relieved of not being part of that circus.
Pretty much. Mailloux would not have met the new criteria.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Just got back from the Knights game. Mailloux looked solid both offensively and defensively. Was closing gaps on players much quicker in the d zone and playing solid positional hockey.

With the puck...he has excellent vision and puck control. His mitts are about as silky as I have ever seen on a d man his size. He has elite dangle skills at this level. He will quarterback an NHL powerplay someday.

Watched a fair bit of Rohrer. Didn't come away overly impressed. Seemed about average at everything. I did like how he seemed an obvious leader on his team and was directing traffic all the time on the ice. Was a pretty boring game. Went to shoot out 0-0 so there wasn't a ton of open ice and opportunity to showcase skills. Would like to Rohrer play again.

Oh....also in overtime Mailloix absolutely stood up Rohrer. Lol...I was upset that it had to be the two of them. It was a nice example of Maillouxs physical presence in the O.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Just got back from the Knights game. Mailloux looked solid both offensively and defensively. Was closing gaps on players much quicker in the d zone and playing solid positional hockey.

With the puck...he has excellent vision and puck control. His mitts are about as silky as I have ever seen on a d man his size. He has elite dangle skills at this level. He will quarterback an NHL powerplay someday.

Watched a fair bit of Rohrer. Didn't come away overly impressed. Seemed about average at everything. I did like how he seemed an obvious leader on his team and was directing traffic all the time on the ice. Was a pretty boring game. Went to shoot out 0-0 so there wasn't a ton of open ice and opportunity to showcase skills. Would like to Rohrer play again.

Oh....also in overtime Mailloix absolutely stood up Rohrer. Lol...I was upset that it had to be the two of them. It was a nice example of Maillouxs physical presence in the O.
Excellent review of Mailloux's play which was more thoughtful and insightful than most scouts that I deal with. I watched the game also and here is my continuing assessment of Mailloux's play which largely mirrors your analysis.

Overall: I continue to be impressed with the growing maturity of Mailloux's game. He plays with a level of confidence, control and maturity that holds great promise for the future as his skill levels: skating, passing , offensive vision and shooting ability speak for themselves. One could only wonder what type of player he would be today, if he had not 'lost' most of the previous two seasons of development. Nevertheless, Mailloux was clearly, again, Hunter's go to defenceman, playing big minutes in all high leverage situations: power plays, penalty killing, end of periods, overtime and all two minutes of one 4 on 4 situation. Despite my view that he has yet to reach his top game conditioning, Mailloux superior skating ability, size and puck skills, allow him to play and execute at a high level while gobbling up big minutes. Mailloux is learning how to pick his spots and conserve his energy. This is clearly a player who is understanding his limitations and grasping what he can be in the future.

Offensively: As Witin425 wryly noted, this was a boring game and if I wasn't interested in assessing Mailloux and other players who I will discuss later, I would have stopped watching. Mailloux continued to display all the skills that I and other posters have commented on in the past: excellent skating/mobility, high level passing, elite shot and an underrated level of offensive vision and anticipation. Though he didn't score (no one did in this largely defensive game) Mailloux created several scoring chances and was London's most effective offensive player. His skating is deceptive, a swooping, threatening style, that is always present and poses a danger to opposing teams. His offensive rushes were, as I noted above, more measured reflecting both the quality of the opposition and the tight score. I didn't see him turn over the puck at the offensive blue which is a flaw in his game that must be eliminated at the next level. But his creativity, skating and skill was abundantly displayed in the video clip contained in a prior post showing Mailloux almost scoring in the dying seconds of overtime. When Mailloux gains extra strength, speed and better game conditioning, he will be a force to deal with in the future. I also believe that Mailloux would greatly benefit playing with superior players. Too often a good play made by Mailloux, 'dies' on many of his teammates' sticks. Disappointingly, both of our prospects playing in last nights game, Mailloux and Rohrer, missed, and missed rather feebly, in their shootout attempts. If I'm coaching Mailloux, I'm telling him (screaming at him), that if you possess a shot like he has and don't use it, you're giving the goalie a free pass.

Defensively: Last night was one of Mailloux's cleanest efforts as he used his size, mobility, recovery speed and reach to neutralize Ottawa scoring efforts. As with his offensive game, the best description of Mailloux's defensive game last night was: control and presence. I didn't see one Ottawa player beat him wide off the rush and he was very sound positionally all game. It was interesting to see Mailloux fall victim to one of his favorite plays: the reverse hit. It was one of the few times that I actually saw Mailloux knocked off his skates by a check. I guess it was another case of living by the sword and dying by the score. But for those who opine that Mailloux has limited lateral skating ability, I can only retort, that they must be watching another Mailloux. This kid can skate.

Other Notes: I was hoping to watch Mailloux play against the Team Canada invitee, Jack Matier. It would have given all of us an opportunity to do an apples to apples comparison of these two prospects. But for some reason Matier didn't play. I have been watching Montreal's other prospect, Vinzenz Rohrer, play in previous Ottawa games, and last night's game gave me another opportunity to assess this Team Austria invitee. I will first say that I haven't yet reach any conclusion about this young player, but from my limited viewing I would say that he is a player of some promise. He has above average quickness, great vision and a nose for the net. These are all good building blocks, but unless he gains size and corresponding strength, Rohrer will have trouble making an impact at the next level. I will watch him closely at the upcoming WJC and the balance of the OHL season, to gain a better feel for this interesting, and very young prospect ( he has a September , 2004 birthdate). I was very impressed with another young Ottawa player, Brad Gardiner, (a March 2005 birthdate) who plays a high tempo, hardnosed game and displays excellent skills. I will be surprised if Gardiner falls out of the first round in his draft year.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Anything else?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Excellent review of Mailloux's play which was more thoughtful and insightful than most scouts that I deal with. I watched the game also and here is my continuing assessment of Mailloux's play which largely mirrors your analysis.

Overall: I continue to be impressed with the growing maturity of Mailloux's game. He plays with a level of confidence, control and maturity that holds great promise for the future as his skill levels: skating, passing , offensive vision and shooting ability speak for themselves. One could only wonder what type of player he would be today, if he had not 'lost' most of the previous two seasons of development. Nevertheless, Mailloux was clearly, again, Hunter's go to defenceman, playing big minutes in all high leverage situations: power plays, penalty killing, end of periods, overtime and all two minutes of one 4 on 4 situation. Despite my view that he has yet to reach his top game conditioning, Mailloux superior skating ability, size and puck skills, allow him to play and execute at a high level while gobbling up big minutes. Mailloux is learning how to pick his spots and conserve his energy. This is clearly a player who is understanding his limitations and grasping what he can be in the future.

Offensively: As Witin425 wryly noted, this was a boring game and if I wasn't interested in assessing Mailloux and other players who I will discuss later, I would have stopped watching. Mailloux continued to display all the skills that I and other posters have commented on in the past: excellent skating/mobility, high level passing, elite shot and an underrated level of offensive vision and anticipation. Though he didn't score (no one did in this largely defensive game) Mailloux created several scoring chances and was London's most effective offensive player. His skating is deceptive, a swooping, threatening style, that is always present and poses a danger to opposing teams. His offensive rushes were, as I noted above, more measured reflecting both the quality of the opposition and the tight score. I didn't see him turn over the puck at the offensive blue which is a flaw in his game that must be eliminated at the next level. But his creativity, skating and skill was abundantly displayed in the video clip contained in a prior post showing Mailloux almost scoring in the dying seconds of overtime. When Mailloux gains extra strength, speed and better game conditioning, he will be a force to deal with in the future. I also believe that Mailloux would greatly benefit playing with superior players. Too often a good play made by Mailloux, 'dies' on many of his teammates' sticks. Disappointingly, both of our prospects playing in last nights game, Mailloux and Rohrer, missed, and missed rather feebly, in their shootout attempts. If I'm coaching Mailloux, I'm telling him (screaming at him), that if you possess a shot like he has and don't use it, you're giving the goalie a free pass.

Defensively: Last night was one of Mailloux's cleanest efforts as he used his size, mobility, recovery speed and reach to neutralize Ottawa scoring efforts. As with his offensive game, the best description of Mailloux's defensive game last night was: control and presence. I didn't see one Ottawa player beat him wide off the rush and he was very sound positionally all game. It was interesting to see Mailloux fall victim to one of his favorite plays: the reverse hit. It was one of the few times that I actually saw Mailloux knocked off his skates by a check. I guess it was another case of living by the sword and dying by the score. But for those who opine that Mailloux has limited lateral skating ability, I can only retort, that they must be watching another Mailloux. This kid can skate.

Other Notes: I was hoping to watch Mailloux play against the Team Canada invitee, Jack Matier. It would have given all of us an opportunity to do an apples to apples comparison of these two prospects. But for some reason Matier didn't play. I have been watching Montreal's other prospect, Vinzenz Rohrer, play in previous Ottawa games, and last night's game gave me another opportunity to assess this Team Austria invitee. I will first say that I haven't yet reach any conclusion about this young player, but from my limited viewing I would say that he is a player of some promise. He has above average quickness, great vision and a nose for the net. These are all good building blocks, but unless he gains size and corresponding strength, Rohrer will have trouble making an impact at the next level. I will watch him closely at the upcoming WJC and the balance of the OHL season, to gain a better feel for this interesting, and very young prospect ( he has a September , 2004 birthdate). I was very impressed with another young Ottawa player, Brad Gardiner, (a March 2005 birthdate) who plays a high tempo, hardnosed game and displays excellent skills. I will be surprised if Gardiner falls out of the first round in his draft year.
Excellent in depth write up! I certainly didn't go into the detail you did, but I concur whole heartedly with your assessment and it is exactly as I saw it. I too noticed Gardiner. He jumped out at me a couple of times and I looked him up to see where he was at age wise. Solid prospect.

He just missed a pass that would have sent him in on a breakaway. Chased the puck into the corner, retrieved it and then pulled this sick move. I was at the far end of the ice, but the whole crowd around me, gasped at this little display of skating and puck control. Great example of what I saw from him all game.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Pretty much. Mailloux would not have met the new criteria.

Talk about over correcting… this world truly thinks that those who makes mistakes are going to be governed by those mistakes?

As for Mailloux it would be nice to play in this type of tournament, I have always thought it was a useful tool in developing players in a high stakes environment.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I doubt it and it really wouldn't matter as there is no chance in hell that Hockey Canada was going to invite Mailloux while they are desperately trying to wash the stink from themselves from the previous scandals at the WJC's.
Or maybe its just a twist to Groucho Marx's classic wisdom of refusing "to join any club that would have me as a member".

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I doubt it and it really wouldn't matter as there is no chance in hell that Hockey Canada was going to invite Mailloux while they are desperately trying to wash the stink from themselves from the previous scandals at the WJC's.
Basically this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad