Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I watched the London's game last night against Oshawa Generals and here is my assessment of Logan Mailloux's play:

The Good: Mailloux was again paired with Isaiah George and has clearly become London's go to, number one defenceman who Hunter looks to and relies on to play in all high leveraged situations. Offensively he was one of the Knights most prominent players showing the skating, passing, shooting and offensive vision that has made him such a compelling prospect. Last night Mailloux showed his elite staright forward speed including once when he exploded up the ice to create a 2 on 1 opportunity on a penalty kill. He made numerous excellent break out passes and, in the offensive zone, completed a number of highly creative passes (think Suzuki-like) that created scoring chances and one goal on the power play. Mailloux was a bit more active in carrying the puck into the offensive zone , including one rush that led to a spectacular solo effort goal. (I won't describe the goal as the videos of same posted above speak for themselves.) Mailloux had much greater success in getting his shot through to the net, ending up with six shots on net. Mailloux had a very strong game on defence using his superior mobility, size, reach and anticipation to frustrate and block most Oshawa offensive efforts. While Mailloux didn't deliver any big hits, he used his size advantage prudently to mirror, track and smother opposing forwards. All in all, it was one of Mailloux's best games as he looked like a true leader on the ice and assumed a confident and commanding posture.

The Bad: Not really much was bad with Mailloux's game last night. I could nit pick and say that he made improvident pass in his zone that created a scoring chance against his team, that he showed a little lack of discipline that drew a penalty, or that he failed to convert on several scoring chances. But that would be truly, nitpicking. More importantly, I didn't see Mailloux get beat wide or make risky pinches that I have seen and commented on before. Also, he actually used the dump and chase play several times instead of his penchant of trying to beat three opponents ( and usually failing) at the offensive blueline. My biggest 'concern' continues to be Mailloux's conditioning. He still shows elements of fatigue that are a drag on his level of play at times. You just have to compare his consistency of play to his defense partner, George, who seems as fresh at the start of his shift as at the end. Is it a question physiology, like what has plagued Gallagher all his career, or is the lingering effects of having missed almost two years of playing time? I certainly hope it's the latter.

The Ugly: Team Canada's management having to watch Mailloux play and knowing that he constitutes forbidden fruit for selection to the Team Canada upcoming evaluation camp. I was able to watch a part of Ottawa 67s' recent game and observed one of Team Canada's invitees on defence, Jack Matier. Not to be cruel, all I saw was a replica of a slightly slower version of Edmundson. Maybe it was a bad game, but if Matier makes the team, opposing skilled forwards will go around him, as Howie Meeker used to gleefully say: 'like a hoop in a barrel". Matier, who is largely a static defenceman, is nowhere near the level of player Mailloux is: well, at least at this stage of their respective development. Also, I know that many have questioned some of the Team Canada invites, the omission of Oshawa's Brett Harrison, Boston's 3rd round pick in 2021, is puzzling. Already 6'3" and 184 lbs, Harrison is a big, fast and skilled forward. He scored three goals last night and could have scored 5 with a little luck. As I said in my assessment after the previous London/Oshawa game, Harrison is a certain NHLer and a player that we will have to deal with for the next decade. If our own Team Canada invitee Roy, turns out to be as good as I think Harrison will be, all of us should, and will be, very happy.

Does anybody have a list of players who make team Canada at age 19 but has not been involved with U16 and U18's prior too? I'm sure there are some right?

Not sure I'm buying the reason I heard lately where he was not selected cause he was not part of hockey Canada international play. Possible I guess cause they do like reliability on D and Mailloux strength is offensive instincts vs sound defensive play

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I watched the London's game last night against Oshawa Generals and here is my assessment of Logan Mailloux's play:

The Good: Mailloux was again paired with Isaiah George and has clearly become London's go to, number one defenceman who Hunter looks to and relies on to play in all high leveraged situations. Offensively he was one of the Knights most prominent players showing the skating, passing, shooting and offensive vision that has made him such a compelling prospect. Last night Mailloux showed his elite staright forward speed including once when he exploded up the ice to create a 2 on 1 opportunity on a penalty kill. He made numerous excellent break out passes and, in the offensive zone, completed a number of highly creative passes (think Suzuki-like) that created scoring chances and one goal on the power play. Mailloux was a bit more active in carrying the puck into the offensive zone , including one rush that led to a spectacular solo effort goal. (I won't describe the goal as the videos of same posted above speak for themselves.) Mailloux had much greater success in getting his shot through to the net, ending up with six shots on net. Mailloux had a very strong game on defence using his superior mobility, size, reach and anticipation to frustrate and block most Oshawa offensive efforts. While Mailloux didn't deliver any big hits, he used his size advantage prudently to mirror, track and smother opposing forwards. All in all, it was one of Mailloux's best games as he looked like a true leader on the ice and assumed a confident and commanding posture.

The Bad: Not really much was bad with Mailloux's game last night. I could nit pick and say that he made improvident pass in his zone that created a scoring chance against his team, that he showed a little lack of discipline that drew a penalty, or that he failed to convert on several scoring chances. But that would be truly, nitpicking. More importantly, I didn't see Mailloux get beat wide or make risky pinches that I have seen and commented on before. Also, he actually used the dump and chase play several times instead of his penchant of trying to beat three opponents ( and usually failing) at the offensive blueline. My biggest 'concern' continues to be Mailloux's conditioning. He still shows elements of fatigue that are a drag on his level of play at times. You just have to compare his consistency of play to his defense partner, George, who seems as fresh at the start of his shift as at the end. Is it a question of physiology, like what has plagued Gallagher all his career, or is the lingering effects of having missed almost two years of playing time? I certainly hope it's the latter.

The Ugly: Team Canada's management having to watch Mailloux play and knowing that he constitutes forbidden fruit for selection to the Team Canada upcoming evaluation camp. I was able to watch a part of Ottawa 67s' recent game and observed one of Team Canada's invitees on defence, Jack Matier. Not to be cruel, all I saw was a replica of a slightly slower version of Edmundson. Maybe it was a bad game, but if Matier makes the team, opposing skilled forwards will go around him, as Howie Meeker used to gleefully say: 'like a hoop in a barrel". Matier, who is largely a static defenceman, is nowhere near the level of player Mailloux is: well, at least at this stage of their respective development. Also, I know that many have questioned some of the Team Canada invite. The omission of Oshawa's, Brett Harrison, a Boston 3rd round pick in 2021, is to this observer, truly puzzling. Already 6'3" and 184 lbs, Harrison is a big, fast and skilled forward. He scored three goals last night and could have scored 5 with a little luck. As I said in my assessment after the previous London/Oshawa game, Harrison is a certain NHLer and a player that we will have to deal with for the next decade. If our own Team Canada invitee Roy, turns out to be as good as I think Harrison will be, all of us should, and will be, very happy.
My view of the player has mirrored yours since the day he was picked. I believe in the talent and the physical gifts that he brings. I recognize that it was a PR nightmare originally, but he has gradually raised his stock since then. I can see why Team Canada wouldn't touch him at this point, but he still has an NHL career ahead. The idea of Hutson and him giving a jolt to the powerplay and carrying play up-ice 5-on-5 is very exciting. Conditioning is fixable, especially on the big team, if MSL sticks around as coach.

Edit: if anything, the controversy depressed his stock temporarily, enabling Bergevin to pick him as late as he did.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
My view of the player has mirrored yours since the day he was picked. I believe in the talent and the physical gifts that he brings. I recognize that it was a PR nightmare originally, but he has gradually raised his stock since then. I can see why Team Canada wouldn't touch him at this point, but he still has an NHL career ahead. The idea of Hutson and him giving a jolt to the powerplay and carrying play up-ice 5-on-5 is very exciting. Conditioning is fixable, especially on the big team, if MSL sticks around as coach.
I will be interested to see how Mailloux performs at next year's camp with almost one year of full playing time under his belt and more than a year of recovery time after his major shoulder surgery. He needs to get stronger, faster and gain greater endurance. If he can achieve these, which I believe are highly reachable improvements, Mailloux will be an important , core player for this team for the next decade. And be so, regardless of any lingering PR baggage. Bergevin made a lot of mistakes during his tenure here, but gambling on Mailloux, may well turnout to be jackpot for this team. Mailloux's not there yet, but the 'talent and physical gifts' are, as you so aptly say, clearly there. And there in spades.

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Mathias Brunet jette une douche d'eau froide sur les partisans du Canadien concernant Logan Mailloux

Mathias Brunet has said that if Mailloux doesn't improve his lateral skating, he won't make to NHL. Brunet seems not very high on Mailloux.
His lateral skating is good enough to go end to end and score single-handed. :skeptic: How does one do that without lateral agility?

That said, if there is a weakness there on the defensive end, it now looks like the Habs have Adam Nicholas, the likes of whom they may not have had from a development standpoint, to address it. Any player is an evolving situation, not a static canvas, and I can see him being instrumental in improving Mailloux' craft.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
His lateral skating is good enough to go end to end and score single-handed. :skeptic: How does one do that without lateral agility?

That said, if there is a weakness there from a defensive standpoint, it now looks like the Habs have Adam Nicholas, the likes of whom they may not have had from a development standpoint. Any player is an evolving situation, not a static canvas, and I can see him being instrumental in improving Mailloux' craft.
This is the opposite of lateral skating lol

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
This style of internet posting needs to go. Are you really obsessed with him that much that you follow every comment he makes about prospects?

Belittling another poster in an attempt to undermine what they said in a particular conversation is disgusting. You can do better than that.

Mailloux has raw tools. He could bust or turn into a gem. Take a guess and yeah, it's OK to like someone a lot where they don't develop into what we might think. I'm pretty sure most of us know bust factor on prospects by now even if you are hyped on someone. Most fan bases do this.... "to be fair"

It's an observation that I had to make, I felt the need to do it. I read a lot of his threads on the main board and comments, he's high on almost every Habs prospect. It's a fact that I had to point out.

I used to be like that and I have no animosity toward that poster.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's an observation that I had to make, I felt the need to do it. I read a lot of his threads on the main board and comments, he's high on almost every Habs prospect. It's a fact that I had to point out.

I used to be like that and I have no animosity toward that poster.

So what. Fans will hype prospects. We all do it and most of us know it's not sure shot golden parts that turn into stars.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Does anybody have a list of players who make team Canada at age 19 but has not been involved with U16 and U18's prior too? I'm sure there are some right?

Not sure I'm buying the reason I heard lately where he was not selected cause he was not part of hockey Canada international play. Possible I guess cause they do like reliability on D and Mailloux strength is offensive instincts vs sound defensive play
As soon as the news about the 2018 Team Canada incident in London broke, there was no way Team Canada was bringing Mailloux along for this tournament due to the negative media tire fire that would have gone out of control.

Jul 6, 2016
As soon as the news about the 2018 Team Canada incident in London broke, there was no way Team Canada was bringing Mailloux along for this tournament due to the negative media tire fire that would have gone out of control.
Not related at all. These incidents are totally different and not the same magnitude at all.

Mailloux has played very few games at OHL level in the last three seasons. He has still lots to prove and improve.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018

Exactly. There are other players that they can easily argue they are a better choice. Mailloux is good, but he is not Connor Bedard good. They took the easy road and decided not to bother with the possible ensuing shitstorm. That was a no brainer PR-wise.

His lateral skating needs to be worked on, but in fact a lot of different aspects of his game needs polishing. He has not played much because of his history and injuries, that he has a lot of mileage to go before he gets the experience he needs. He is just a very, very rough diamond, and it is difficult to know if he will ever manage to overcome his lack of development at a crucial age.

Its funny still, because let alone the fact about what the 2018 team did which is a lot worse and Hockey Canada, nor the NHL, is doing anything about it to go after the players involved. I personnally find what Carey Price did recently a lot worse then what Mailloux did. And Mailloux was not 35 yrs old when it happened.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not related at all. These incidents are totally different and not the same magnitude at all.

Mailloux has played very few games at OHL level in the last three seasons. He has still lots to prove and improve.
I know they're not related and not the same magnitude. My point is that it doesn't matter how well Mailloux might have played this year. Team Canada was never inviting him this year while they're still in the middle of a sexual assault scandal and investigations by the NHL and London Police.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've only seen the other side of it to be honest

Where? It's probably buried deep into the comments.. 'cause the guys who are on Twitter and post scouting content, videos, etc. are all pretty much pointing out valid criticisms.

I haven't seen anyone with the same platform knock Mailloux down because of the off-ice items.

Reactions: le_sean

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Where? It's probably buried deep into the comments.. 'cause the guys who are on Twitter and post scouting content, videos, etc. are all pretty much pointing out valid criticisms.

I haven't seen anyone with the same platform knock Mailloux down because of the off-ice items.
Oh I just meant only seeing the people complaining about Mailloux being overhyped because of the culture wars, rather than seeing the overhyping itself

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh I just meant only seeing the people complaining about Mailloux being overhyped because of the culture wars, rather than seeing the overhyping itself

Weirdly it's coming from the French media. They're claiming Mailloux is NHL ready and the 2nd best d man in the CHL. Really weird.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Mailloux has a lot to work on no doubt. To me the biggest question mark is whether he can think and react to a higher pace. He reminds me a bit of Jack Johnson in that way... which of course would be an amazing result for Mailloux but held JJ back after being such a high pick..

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad