Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Forget about sport. There's many bad people in plain view everywhere. Prior to my current position, I was a practicing lawyer. I used to tell people the national sport of Canada wasn't hockey but the exercise of bad judgment. I wasn't so much a lawyer as a highly paid janitor that spent most of my time cleaning up messes resulting from good and bad peoples' errors in judgment.
Man this is the most true shit I ever read in my life

It really do be like that

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Lol ok

That Mailloux defending his teammate isn’t a bad thing?
So you're comfortable to have this young man, who is still recovering from major surgery, get into a fight after the end of the game. So he can prove he's a real man? Isn't that the same false bravado that got Mailloux into trouble in the first place?

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So you're comfortable to have this young man, who is still recovering from major surgery, get into a fight after the end of the game. So he can prove he's a real man? Isn't that the same false bravado that got Mailloux into trouble in the first place?
Lol you are one confused soul.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Forget about sport. There's many bad people in plain view everywhere. Prior to my current position, I was a practicing lawyer. I used to tell people the national sport of Canada wasn't hockey but the exercise of bad judgment. I wasn't so much a lawyer as a highly paid janitor that spent most of my time cleaning up messes resulting from good and bad peoples' errors in judgment.

Hockey is a beautiful sport where you leave everything on the ice. I have seen boys literally being saved by playing hockey.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Hockey is a beautiful sport where you leave everything on the ice. I have seen boys literally being saved by playing hockey.
Saved from what exactly? And what does this have to do with anything? Mailloux should not fight, that's not his role.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
By having people finding gear for them so they can get out of those situations. I knew a guy who involved in various things and was drinking and so forth. And playing hockey pretty much saved him.
Fair enough. I know a few guys too who were saved by sport from their drinking issue.

Reactions: Kimota

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I don't think the takeaway is that he's proving he's a real man by defending a teammate. That's a very strange take.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
as you know - I too run sport leagues, the above statement is accurate. It really is a shame, but I've gotten to the point where I openly say to "parents" this league isn't for you. If it makes you this frustrated to the point of yelling at teenaged referees, then it's best to take a vacation from the club for a while. Most of them are shocked, as I doubt they've ever been talked to calmly (and a matter of factly). It is a real eye opener for them, as most don;t even realize what they are doing. The ones who've heeded my advice, have become great contributors and to this day thank me for telling them to wake up. the other's tend to disappear or latch on to "other leagues" in an effort to find the right pathway for their child (who has marginal skills) to make pro.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Next Game: I will be in the GTA this weekend scouting AAA players and I will be attending Sunday's London- Mississauga afternoon game, which will give me a chance to watch both Mailloux (assuming his not suspended) and Beck in person. I will provide my analysis on these two important prospects after the game.

I was able to attend this afternoon's game between the London Knights and the Mississauga Steelheads which gave me the opportunity to closely watch two of the Canadiens' most notable prospects Logan Mailloux and Owen Beck. This is my assessment of these two players after watching them in person:

Logan Mailloux: Mailloux was as impressive in person as he is on tape. Perhaps more so. Mailloux played a very strong game and was, for the first two and half periods, clearly the most dominant player on the ice. His combination of skating, size, positioning, reach and skill level allowed him to adopt a commanding approach to the game. Very, very impressive. It was clearly a case of a man playing among boys.

On the Offence: Mailloux exhibited all the skills that have made him, in this writers opinion, one of the top NHL prospects. He had 4 shots on net , more than any other London player; made a number of excellent outlet passes; executed numerous end to end rushes that created multiple chances and scored a goal on a wrist shot from the high slot after London won a face-off deep in the Steelhead's zone. The goal summed up the potential this excellent prospect possesses. London won the face-off on the left dot and the puck travelled directly back to Mailloux who was playing the left point ( as opposed to his normal right point position). As the Mississauga winger charged the point, Mailloux faked a shot that froze the opposing winger and Mailloux then drifted smartly to his right so that he was in a prime shooting position and fired a wrist shot that whistled into the top left corner of the net. There are very few goalies at any level today who could have stopped that shot. The puck was a blur from forty feet out. It was a very impressive goal. Mailloux had several other scoring chances and assisted on another London goal and placed himself in a position to support his teammates on the offence all game long. While Mailloux put on an impressive offensive performance he still has a tendency of carrying the puck too far ahead of him and making it easy for defenders to poke check him. But you have to be blind not to see this player's immense offensive potential.

On the Defensive: Mailloux's overall defensive game was as impressive as his offensive game. I was really taken back by Mailloux's calmness and confidence in his defensive play. He anticipated the play and using positioning and his great reach broke up numerous Steelhead offensive rushes. Though he didn't deliver any thunderous hits, Mailloux often leaned on a number of opposing forwards, suffocated and contained them on the boards and cleaned up the front area of his net. Mailloux has a long reach and used it to break up passes and contain, and redirect Steelhead forwards. Mailloux was again partnered with the excellent and steady George and this top pairing defensive pair played in all high leverage situations with Mailloux playing the full two minutes on some of the Knights' penalty kills. This was London's sixth game in nine days, and I found that Mailloux's play dropped off midway in the third period as did the whole Knights' team. The one weakness that I have identified in earlier posted assessments: the tendency to be beaten off the rush reared its ugly head in the later stages of the game when he made a poor pinch at the defensive blueline that allowed a Mississauga forward to skate around him (with no damage being done) and allowing another Steelhead forward, to outside/inside him and score a highlight goal.

The Game and Some Other Observations: The score was not indicative of the play as the Knights thoroughly outplayed the Steelheads until the Misa goal at the 8th minute of the third period. Then the Knights seem to hit the proverbial wall and gave up another goal with the Steelhead goalie on the bench. Mailloux played most of the last 4 minutes of the game as the Knights held on for the win. Whether it was a case of a superior team lifting its foot off the accelerator or just running out of steam after a grueling portion of their schedule, a game well in hand suddenly became a close call.

Owen Beck : Beck had a strong game and despite not scoring ( he did set up Mississauga's first goaI) I though Beck was one of the most noticeable players for both teams during the game. Beck was around the net all game and ended up with 6 shots. He's an excellent, strong skater who loses no speed when carrying the puck. He generated great speed through the neutral zone and is very strong on his skates. He possesses a strong, heavy wrist shot and could easily have had two or three goals tonight. The London goalie was very strong tonight and made several great and timely saves on Beck's labeled shots. Surprisingly, the part of Beck's game that really impressed me was his passing and offensive vision. His passes were crisp and on the tape of his line mates. He seemed to always find the open man and never passed to a teammate who was under pressure and therefore likely to lose possession of the puck. In the faceoff circle, Beck won more than 50% of his face-offs. Bottom line, Beck is an excellent, polished prospect who will play in the NHL and be a core player for Montreal in two to three years.

Last edited:

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I was able to attend this afternoon's game between the London Knights and the Mississauga Steelheads which gave me the opportunity to closely watch two of the Canadiens' most notable prospects Logan Mailloux and Owen Beck. This is my assessment of these two players after watching them in person:

Logan Mailloux: Mailloux was as impressive in person as he is on tape. Perhaps more so. Mailloux played a very strong game and was, for the first two and half periods, clearly the most dominant player on the ice. His combination of skating, size, positioning, reach and skill level allowed him to adopt a commanding approach to the game. Very, very impressive. It was clearly a case of a man playing among boys.

On the Offence: Mailloux exhibited all the skills that have made him, in this writers opinion, one of the top NHL prospects. He had 4 shots on net , more than any other London player; made a number of excellent outlet passes; executed numerous end to end rushes that created multiple chances and scored a goal on a wrist shot from the high slot after London won a face-off deep in the Steelhead's zone. The goal summed up the potential this excellent prospect possesses. London won the face-off on the left dot and the puck travelled directly back to Mailloux who was playing the left point ( as opposed to his normal right point position). As the Mississauga winger charged the point, Mailloux faked a shot that froze the opposing winger and Mailloux then drifted smartly to his right so that he was in a prime shooting position and fired a wrist shot that whistled into the top left corner of the net. There are very few goalies at any level today who could have stopped that shot. The puck was a blur from forty feet out. It was a very impressive goal. Mailloux had several other scoring chances and assisted on another London goal and placed himself in a position to support his teammates on the offence all game long. While Mailloux put on an impressive offensive performance he still has a tendency of carrying the puck too far ahead of him and making it easy for defenders to poke check him. But you have to be blind not to see this player's immense offensive potential.

On the Defensive: Mailloux's overall defensive game was as impressive as his offensive game. I was really taken back by Mailloux's calmness and confidence in his defensive play. He anticipated the play and using positioning and his great reach broke up numerous Steelhead offensive rushes. Though he didn't deliver any thunderous hits, Mailloux often leaned on a number of opposing forwards, suffocated and contained them on the boards and cleaned up the front area of his net. Mailloux has a long reach and used it to break up passes and contain, and redirect Steelhead forwards. Mailloux was again partnered with the excellent and steady George and this top pairing defensive pair played in all high leverage situations with Mailloux playing the full two minutes on some of the Knights' penalty kills. This was London's sixth game in nine days, and I found that Mailloux's play dropped off midway in the third period as did the whole Knights' team. The one weakness that I have identified in earlier posted assessments: the tendency to be beaten off the rush reared its ugly head in the later stages of the game when he made a poor pinch at the defensive blueline that allowed a Mississauga forward to skate around him (with no damage being done) and allowing another Steelhead forward, to outside/inside him and score a highlight goal.

The Game and Some Other Observations: The score was not indicative of the play as the Knights thoroughly outplayed the Steelheads until the Misa goal at the 8th minute of the third period. Then the Knights seem to hit the proverbial wall and gave up another goal with the Steelhead goalie on the bench. Mailloux played most of the last 4 minutes of the game as the Knights held on for the win. Whether it was a case of a superior team lifting its foot off the accelerator or just running out of steam after a grueling portion of their schedule, a game well in hand suddenly became a close call.

Owen Beck : Beck had a strong game and despite not scoring ( he did set up Mississauga's first goaI) I though Beck was one of the most noticeable players for both teams during the game. Beck was around the net all game and ended up with 6 shots. He's an excellent, strong skater who loses no speed when carrying the puck. He generated great speed through the neutral zone and is very strong on his skates. He possesses a strong, heavy wrist shot and could easily have had two or three goals tonight. The London goalie was very strong tonight and made several great and timely saves on Beck's labeled shots. Surprisingly, the part of Beck's game that really impressed me was his passing and offensive vision. His passes were crisp and on the tape of his line mates. He seemed to always find the open man and never passed to a teammate who was under pressure and therefore likely to lose possession of the puck. In the faceoff circle, Beck won more than 50% of his face-offs. Bottom line, Beck is an excellent, polished prospect who will play in the NHL and be a core player for Montreal in two to three years.
Thank you very much for your report; it's greatly appreciated.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Please take all the upvotes for the day, sir.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad