Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I see Mallioux step up instead of Eddy next season (don't think it's THAT tall of an order), after Eddy lands habs another first round pick. So 2 we already have, 1 from Monahab, 1 from Eddy. Man... LOL... Habs will be loaded for life.

I'd expect next year Barron to come up from the AHL and replace a vet and Mailloux take his place in the AHL as a more likely outcome

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I was able to watch London's game against the Oshawa Generals yesterday and here are my continuing assessment of Mailloux's performance/development:

Overall: Mailloux played a strong game where he displayed the offensive and defensive skills that make him a prospect with such considerable promise. Mailloux was once again partnered with Isaiah George (who I think was the Knights' most prominent player) and he played in all high leverage situations: power plays, penalty killing and the last two minutes of the game when the Generals had pulled their goalie and were pressing for the tying goal. It was a game where Mailloux was noticeable for positive reason in all three zones of the ice.

On Offense: As I noted in my post following the London/Kitchener game, Mailloux's pairing with George has resulted in a subtle metamorphosis in Mailloux's game as he now plays a more disciplined, controlled game and lets George help in the puck transportation role. Mailloux still carries out those exciting end to end rushes, but such forays are limited to one or two rushes each period. In the Oshawa game Mailloux had less than five rushes (about the same number as George) one of which resulted in a General defenceman having to take a penalty to stop him. George is a smoother skater than Mailloux, as Mailloux uses his raw strength and long, looping strides to gain high end speed. I saw Mailloux use one explosive stride to avoid and skate around a Oshawa forechecker like he was a practice pylon and then start his rush up the ice. Its the type of skating ability I look for in the players I assess. When this kid fills out and gets stronger and faster his rushes will be something to behold. He's not there yet. But soon. Mailloux had 5 shots in the game (the most of any Knights' player) and came very close to scoring two goals. Mailloux played almost the full two minutes of each power play and in this game he reverted to usual position at the right point. He showed excellent vision in the offensive zone making several clever passes to teammates creating scoring chances. Mailloux was held off the score sheet but was directly involved in three of the Knights' goals: the first, where he made the break out pass that created an odd man rush; the second, where he kept the puck in the offensive zone during a power play and made a clever 6 foot pass under pressure that led to the Knights' only power play goal and the third, where he hit the goal post when the Oshawa goalie had been pulled and the puck rebounded to another London player who scored into the empty net. I don't understand why he wasn't awarded with an assist on the goal. But that omission was of little importance. On a negative note, several of Mailloux's usually accurate stretch passes went astray and caused icings. Of further interest, or curiosity, Mailloux took one offensive face off during a London power play when the initial London player taking the draw was thrown out of the circle. He won the face-off.

On Defence: Mailloux played a steady but physical game and cleared the front of the Knights' net with great prejudice. In fact, his aggressive play drew a penalty when London was killing a penalty creating a two man advantage against his team. The Generals did in fact score on the ensuing two man advantage. Most importantly, Mailloux was steady in the defensive zone and made most of the correct defensive reads, sealing off opponent's rushes, using his recovery speed to pressure General forwards, and using his great reach to interfere with passes and, on one occasion, deflecting a shot into the stands that prevented an almost certain goal. Mailloux was a physical presence in both the defensive zone and in the offensive zone including throwing a huge hip check behind the General's' net after one of his rushes. While Mailloux was not beaten wide, there was one occasion when Mailloux overcommitted while using impressive lateral skating in an attempt to stop a Generals' player at the London blueline, who then passed the puck against the grain to another Generals' player who had skated into the space vacated by Mailloux. It was the only major blemish in an otherwise strong defensive game played by this talented defenceman.

Other Notes about the Game: The Generals fielded one of the largest junior teams that I can remember. Their defence was comprised of three 6' 2" players; one 6' 3" player; two 6' 4" players and one 5' 8" player. Their forwards included one 6' 1" player; one 6' 2" player; three 6' 3" players; one 6' 4" player and one 6' 7" player. Mailloux, who usually towers over most opponents, looked small during the game. Of the Generals players that impressed me included, Dylan Roobroeck, a 6' 7" left wing who is a 2004 birthdate. For a player that big he showed surprising skating ability and puck handling skills. I would scout this kid closely because if he develops, he has a chance to be a Tage Thompson-like player. I was really impressed with his play and I hope that the geniuses at Team Canada are as equally impressed. Put him on a line with two elite forwards and this kid could be an unstoppable force at the upcoming WJC. Another player who impressed me was Brett Harrison, a 6' 3" center drafted by Boston in the third round in 2021. This kid will definitely play in the NHL and will be an effective player who we will have to deal with in the near future. Finally, it was the first time that I had a chance to watch Calum Ritchie who is supposed to go high in the 2023 draft. He's listed at 6' 2" and weighing 187 lbs. He looks bigger. My first impression is: Josh Anderson light. Ritchie doesn't skate as fast as Anderson, but still gets up the ice with above average speed. He’s a little smaller than Anderson but is more creative offensively. I was impressed that Oshawa uses Ritchie as one of their main puck transporters on the power play ( think the way Montreal uses Suzuki) which gives you an idea of what his skating ability is. I don't know how high he will go in the upcoming draft, but from what I saw, he will go high (as understandably, most teams will be seduced by his combination of size, speed and skill) but only after the usual suspects (Bedard, Fantilli, Benson, Yager, etc.).
Thanks for you feedback n analysis. I live in London n have seasonbtickets, watch every game but wouldn't write as well as you do here. Have been in lower level Jr hockey and minor aaa hockey in area.
Interesting you mention Harrison and Roobreck with that London connection as well with the Jr Knights. Both gave a team I helped fits lol. It's the OHL draft eligible Ryan ( Dylans younger brother ) that will be a force. Watch out for him in the O next year. Harrison for sure if he puts in the work, Dylan R not so sure about but is intriguing.
Have known of mallioux since ore OHL draft. Kid just needs game action, good coaching n put in the work. Fantastic tools. Even at 14 you could see it. But yes he is 2 years away maybe 3 IMO.
Thanks again.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
12 goals away from hitting 50 and were not even mid season yet.
I was able to watch the London / Guelph game and here is my assessment of Mailloux's play.

Overall: This was Mailloux's most most balanced, if not best game that I have seen him play so far this year. Strong in the defensive zone and dynamic in the offensive zone, I thought he was the most impactful player on the ice tonight. Isaiah George, however, was given the first star of the game. For some reason, Hunter did not play Mailloux with George, with Mailloux playing with a number of other defensive teammates. He again played in all high leverage situations but I believe as the score got out of hand in the Knights' favour and with London playing tomorrow night, Hunter limited Mailloux's ice time as the game wore on.

On the Defence: Mailloux was rock solid in his zone, using his size and mobility to eliminate opposing forwards and he used his reach and an active stick to thwart multiple Guelph offensive plays. Mailloux's physical game continues to grow and pose a menace to opposing forwards as he knocked down several Guelph players and used the reverse style check to destroy a Guelph forechecker behind the London net. It was a brutal check and the result was devastating. The most importance thing was Mailloux's confidence and calmness in the defensive zone. There was no panic in his game as he is starting to recognize that his superior skill level and size allows him to dominant most of his opponents. You can see that he is a leader out on the ice as he confidently directs the positioning of his teammates.

On the Offence: Without his partner of recent games, Mailloux was required to be more active and engaged in skating the puck out of his zone. Mailloux made a number of electric end to end rushes where he displayed both his elite end to end speed and stickhandling ability. Besides scoring his 8th goal of the season on a slap shot that overwhelmed the Guelph goalie, Mailloux had 4 shots, hit the goal post on one of his rushes, drew a penalty in the offensive zone and could easily have scored 2 or 3 more goals. His passing was crisp and imaginative and he displayed once again that he sees the ice well in the offensive zone and has the skills to take advantage of the openings and opportunities that are presented to him. It was an impressive offensive display by a player that is only scratching the surface of his potential. On a negative note, Mailloux must learn how to get his shot through to the net. He may have a 100 mph shot, but if it is continually being blocked, it will significantly limit this player's offensive output. Also, Mailloux will have to learn how to better protect the puck when he is carrying it on his offensive forays. He now carries the puck too far in front of him and opposing defencemen who he is trying to beat at the offensive blueline are poke checking Maiiloux (sometimes easily) as he tries to enter the offensive zone creating turnovers. One such turnover resulted in Guelph's second goal. At the next level, Mailloux will be facing opposition who are as mobile, tall and strong as he is and he must learn when to use the dump and chase play. As Mailloux fills out and gets bigger and faster, that chip and chase play may well become a potent play for the Canadiens in the future as few defencemen will enjoy turning and going into the corner with this freight train bearing down on them.

Other Comments on the Game: As with Calum Ritchie in the Generals game, this was the first time that I had an opportunity to see another highly touted player that is available in the 2023 draft: Cam Allen. I came away singularly unimpressed with this player. He was almost unnoticeable in the game. Maybe he is having bad start to the season, but if the draft was held tomorrow, I'd select Bonk before Allen. I just don't like his game. I have read some articles that projected Allen as a possible 1OA in next year’s draft. I know its only one game, but after watching him last night, I think it may be a reach for Allen to make the top 20 unless he picks up his game. In my opinion, the Allen I watched last night is not in the same ‘league’ as the older Mailloux or George or the younger Dickinson. A player that I did like is London’s unheralded, smooth skating Jacob Julien. Big, fast and skilled, this kid will play in the NHL and play well.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He's gonna be something offensively that we haven't seen here in a very long time.

I mean, we had the all-time NHL record PP goalscorer for defensemen as recently as 2007 in Souray, and had one of the greatest PP quarterback in our history in Markov.

Granted Mailloux is a different breed in that he has both the size, shot and end-to-end rushes. Maybe comparable would be Guy Lapointe, but bigger?

Reactions: JohnTheBaptist

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
His offensive output isn't really that impressive (not factoring in missed time) but his shot is NHL level.. but as has always been the case, his defensive ability is a mess and it isn't really OHL level good right now.

So take the extreme positive side (Renaud Lavoie saying he should be in the NHL which is nonsense) and the extreme negative side and find the truth in the middle, as always.
i don't know why but for some reason, i think that you have seen the highlights of the forward Pierre Dagenais instead of the ones of Mailloux . That said it's a very accurate description of Dagenais
:snide:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's gonna be something offensively that we haven't seen here in a very long time.

We have to wait it out. Skating and his shot is top notch but he has development to go through and he's not groomed from the back end out like Guhle and Romanov were.

It's likely he has a Barron path to the NHL IMO. Proves me wrong? Sure, Suzuki did and I'm glad to be wrong. Best to temper expectations until they turn pro. Best advice I can give. For now, enjoy the potential cause we rather have it than not have it.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
We have to wait it out. Skating and his shot is top notch but he has development to go through and he's not groomed from the back end out like Guhle and Romanov were.

It's likely he has a Barron path to the NHL IMO. Proves me wrong? Sure, Suzuki did and I'm glad to be wrong. Best to temper expectations until they turn pro. Best advice I can give. For now, enjoy the potential cause we rather have it than not have it.
This is my continuing assessment of Mailloux's play and development after watching him play tonight against the Erie Otters:

The Game: This was a sloppily played game by both teams with Mailloux having both good moments and bad moments. Probably the only thing sloppier than the players' performance was the television coverage of the game. The homerism of the Erie announcer was only surpassed by the amateurism of the camera operator. I think they found some random person from the food concession stand to operate the camera. This was the second of back to back games for London and there is no doubt that they have Mailloux on a pitch count as his time on the ice was lower than I have seen in recent games. In addition to the lesser amount of ice time, Hunter, for some reason, decided not to start most London power plays with Mailloux on the ice. This was curious coaching decision because Mailloux later played the first three minutes of the overtime when London enjoyed a power play for the first two minutes of the extra period.

On the Offence: Mailloux had an excellent first period making some excellent outlets passes that started his team up the ice and made several imaginative passes in the offensive zone that helped breakdown the Otters' defensive zone coverage. Mailloux ended up with 4 shots on net with more than half a dozen other shot attemps either being blocked or missing the net completely. Mailloux showed excellent straightforward speed in turning a 2 on 1 London offensive chance into a 3 on 1 by joining the rush. His speed up the ice was most impressive and it was this elite skating ability that allowed him to be the player that ended up taking the shot on this scoring chance. Mailloux's ice time was restricted in the second and third periods and he had less opportunities to display his offensive abilities. Mailloux fumbled the puck more than I have seen him do in previous games (including mishandling the puck on his shoot out opportunity which he didn't score on) and I think this difficulty is directly attributable to this being the second of back-to back games. I said it before, Mailloux is not yet in top game condition. That lack of conditioning impairs his performance late in games and when the Knights play consecutive games. As noted above, Hunter did not use Mailloux at the start of several power plays in the second period and without Mailloux, London's power play really struggled. While it was not Mailloux's best offensive game, he did create and had more scoring chances than any other Knights' player.

On the Defence: Mailloux had another strong defensive game: easily stopping Otters players on the rush and playing another physical game in the defensive zone that saw him smothering Erie players on the boards and delivering a number of huge hits including another violent reverse hit that stunned an Erie forward. While, Mailloux started the game with George, after George fell awkwardly along the boards, Mailloux began playing with a number of other London defencemen. George had a rough game physically wise and turnover wise. It was his turnover that directly resulted in Erie's first goal. Though Mailloux made a number of effective reads, he did overcommit on one play and this error resulted in an excellent Erie scoring chance. Also, it was Mailloux's penalty in the last minute of the game that gave the Otters a power play on which they scored the tying goal. The penalty was a weak slashing of the stick call.

Overall: Mailloux's importance to the London team was witnessed by the fact that he played almost 3 minutes ( the whole power play and one minute after it) during the overtime and was the dominant player on the ice. He repeatedly carried the puck into the offensive zone and once London was established or set up he was the focal point of the offence and proceeded to blast away from the half boards with an almost embarrassing level of promiscuity.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is my continuing assessment of Mailloux's play and development after watching him play tonight against the Erie Otters:

The Game: This was a sloppily played game by both teams with Mailloux having both good moments and bad moments. Probably the only thing sloppier than the players' performance was the television coverage of the game. The homerism of the Erie announcer was only surpassed by the amateurism of the camera operator. I think they found some random person from the food concession stand to operate the camera. This was the second of back to back games for London and there is no doubt that they have Mailloux on a pitch count as his time on the ice was lower than I have seen in recent games. In addition to the lesser amount of ice time, Hunter, for some reason, decided not to start most London power plays with Mailloux on the ice. This was curious coaching decision because Mailloux later played the first three minutes of the overtime when London enjoyed a power play for the first two minutes of the extra period.

On the Offence: Mailloux had an excellent first period making some excellent outlets passes that started his team up the ice and made several imaginative passes in the offensive zone that helped breakdown the Otters' defensive zone coverage. Mailloux ended up with 4 shots on net with more than half a dozen other shot attemps either being blocked or missing the net completely. Mailloux showed excellent straightforward speed in turning a 2 on 1 London offensive chance into a 3 on 1 by joining the rush. His speed up the ice was most impressive and it was this elite skating ability that allowed him to be the player that ended up taking the shot on this scoring chance. Mailloux's ice time was restricted in the second and third periods and he had less opportunities to display his offensive abilities. Mailloux fumbled the puck more than I have seen him do in previous games (including mishandling the puck on his shoot out opportunity which he didn't score on) and I think this difficulty is directly attributable to this being the second of back-to back games. I said it before, Mailloux is not yet in top game condition. That lack of conditioning impairs his performance late in games and when the Knights play consecutive games. As noted above, Hunter did not use Mailloux at the start of several power plays in the second period and without Mailloux, London's power play really struggled. While it was not Mailloux's best offensive game, he did create and had more scoring chances than any other Knights' player.

On the Defence: Mailloux had another strong defensive game: easily stopping Otters players on the rush and playing another physical game in the defensive zone that saw him smothering Erie players on the boards and delivering a number of huge hits including another violent reverse hit that stunned an Erie forward. While, Mailloux started the game with George, after George fell awkwardly along the boards, Mailloux began playing with a number of other London defencemen. George had a rough game physically wise and turnover wise. It was his turnover that directly resulted in Erie's first goal. Though Mailloux made a number of effective reads, he did overcommit on one play and this error resulted in an excellent Erie scoring chance. Also, it was Mailloux's penalty in the last minute of the game that gave the Otters a power play on which they scored the tying goal. The penalty was a weak slashing of the stick call.

Overall: Mailloux's importance to the London team was witnessed by the fact that he played almost 3 minutes ( the whole power play and one minute after it) during the overtime and was the dominant player on the ice. He repeatedly carried the puck into the offensive zone and once set up he was the focal point of the offence and proceeded to blast away from the half boards with promiscuity.

His first full season in like what? 3+ years? This season to me is for him to get ice time and work on his game as he strives to turn pro. He's got a lot to prove on/off the ice and to work on his defensive realiability while he still generates offence.

I think he follows a Barron path and requires 1 or 2 AHL seasons. It's going to take a bit for him to adapt to defensive reliability IMO. Especially with the amount of games he has played over the last few years. If he works through that fast, that means he is really good! Time will tell

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
His first full season in like what? 3+ years? This season to me is for him to get ice time and work on his game as he strives to turn pro. He's got a lot to prove on/off the ice and to work on his defensive realiability while he still generates offence.

I think he follows a Barron path and requires 1 or 2 AHL seasons. It's going to take a bit for him to adapt to defensive reliability IMO. Especially with the amount of games he has played over the last few years. If he works through that fast, that means he is really good! Time will tell
I’m reasonably confident that Mailloux will play in the NHL and play well for Montreal or some other team. It’s hard to find players who possess the combination of size, skill, controlled aggression and skating ability that this raw talent possesses. You nurture and develop such players as they are possible difference makers.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m reasonably confident that Mailloux will play in the NHL and play well for Montreal or some other team. It’s hard to find players who possess the size, skill and skating that this raw talent possesses. You nurture and develop such players as they are difference makers.

Habs are not going to give up on him so he is going to play for the Habs. Question is when and it's likely at least one AHL season next year. Another possibility is to allow him play out his age 20 season in the CHL. Allows him to get more games and learn defensive play in terms of CHL standards first.

1 more CHL season then 1 AHL season
vs
2 AHL seasons

Doubt he leap frogs Barron in those 2 years. Maybe later but he's not build from the back end out like Romanov and Guhle so it's going to be a process. His hockey IQ will be tested once he turns pro cause how smart he is will help him overcome that time/space factor and show trust from the coach in his own end.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Habs are not going to give up on him so he is going to play for the Habs. Question is when and it's likely at least one AHL season next year. Another possibility is to allow him play out his age 20 season in the CHL. Allows him to get more games and learn defensive play in terms of CHL standards first.

1 more CHL season then 1 AHL season
vs
2 AHL seasons

Doubt he leap frogs Barron in those 2 years. Maybe later but he's not build from the back end out like Romanov and Guhle so it's going to be a process.
We aren’t competing in the next few years. So what’s the rush? If a person my age can wait, why can’t the young’uns?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We aren’t competing in the next few years. So what’s the rush? If a person my age can wait, why can’t the young’uns?

There is no rush but where the Habs are and where Mailloux is in development is two separate areas of management. Mailloux plays when he is ready and MSL decides that. NHL also has to approve him to play at some point too

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
There is no rush but where the Habs are and where Mailloux is in development is two separate areas of management. Mailloux plays when he is ready and MSL decides that. NHL also has to approve him to play at some point too
While your former issue is in doubt, I can say as a lawyer of some experience that your latter issue is not in doubt.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
We will still have a glut of defenseman next year, assuming we dont have anyone traded,
Savard, Edmunson, Matheson and Wideman are still under contract and we still have Barron, Guhle, harris and xhekaj on the team now along with Kovacevic. m

I think Mailloux is likely in the A next year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While your former issue is in doubt, I can say as a lawyer of some experience that your latter issue is not in doubt.

What's the former issue in doubt?

We will still have a glut of defenseman next year, assuming we dont have anyone traded,
Savard, Edmunson, Matheson and Wideman are still under contract and we still have Barron, Guhle, harris and xhekaj on the team now along with Kovacevic. m

I tend to agree. Just not going to rule out one more CHL year. I'm thinking 90% chance he plays AHL. Leaving a little door open

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
I mean, we had the all-time NHL record PP goalscorer for defensemen as recently as 2007 in Souray, and had one of the greatest PP quarterback in our history in Markov.

Granted Mailloux is a different breed in that he has both the size, shot and end-to-end rushes. Maybe comparable would be Guy Lapointe, but bigger?

Serge Savard before the first broken leg.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'd be very surprised if one of Edmundson or Savard weren't traded by the deadline.

Barron can still play next year in the AHL from what I'm hearing. He still has a lot of polishing to do on his defensive game. And that's fine.

Would be a lot of prispects in the A though:

Fairbrother Barron
Trudeau Mailloux
Struble Norlinder
Schuneman, Beaudin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad