Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'd be very surprised if one of Edmundson or Savard weren't traded by the deadline.

Barron can still play next year in the AHL from what I'm hearing. He still has a lot of polishing to do on his defensive game. And that's fine.

Would be a lot of prispects in the A though:

Fairbrother Barron
Trudeau Mailloux
Struble Norlinder
Schuneman, Beaudin

I think it makes more sense to move Edmundson as the logjam at LHD is huge and he may be able to fetch another late first round pick for us. Edmundson was a big part of two Cup runs and would certainly draw interest from the contenders. He seems to be something of a square peg in Marty's breakout system of circular holes and is better suited to playoff hockey.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it but I would not be surprised to see Harris moved as he may not be a long term fit and he may be able to fetch a young, promising winger. If Hugo decide that they don't want fewer than 3 veteran dmen they may opt to keep Edmundson and move Harris and allow more time for players like Struble, Engstrom, Hutson etc to develop and compete for that spot in the next 2-3 years.

Jul 6, 2016
I think it makes more sense to move Edmundson as the logjam at LHD is huge and he may be able to fetch another late first round pick for us. Edmundson was a big part of two Cup runs and would certainly draw interest from the contenders. He seems to be something of a square peg in Marty's breakout system of circular holes and is better suited to playoff hockey.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it but I would not be surprised to see Harris moved as he may not be a long term fit and he may be able to fetch a young, promising winger. If Hugo decide that they don't want fewer than 3 veteran dmen they may opt to keep Edmundson and move Harris and allow more time for players like Struble, Engstrom, Hutson etc to develop and compete for that spot in the next 2-3 years.
Edmundson is the one on his way out of Montreal by trade deadline or way before. I appreciate his game and his leadership but now it's the time to turn totally the page.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Serge Savard was genius defensively even before the broken leg no? I don't think Mailloux have Savard's positional awareness.
Well, they assigned Jacques Laperrière to babysit him, it tells a lot. You have to remember that at the time, crossing the opponent blue line was considered a defensive liability and the player doing it a wild thing.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I’f be surprised if they move Harris. As for retaining veterans, I would suggest that by the time we are in a position to contend, our current rookies will be young veterans. That’s why we need to play them as much as we can. Let’s see what we have in the kiddie corps.

Reactions: NewDef

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Very worth read Amiral.
Thanks for taking the time. I look forward to your reports.
Thanks for the kind comments.

This is my analysis of Mailloux's play in the London/Ice Dogs game tonight:

Overall: Mailloux was once again very noticeable tonight and though he was kept off the score sheet, Mailloux was clearly the Knights most dynamic player. Hunter again paired Mailloux with George and, as was commented on by one of the broadcast's announcers, they continue to form one of the best defensive duos in the OHA. There is no question that the Knights' defense is the strength of their team and is largely responsible for London's recent success. Mailloux, who continues to play in all situations, is an integral part of that impressive defensive corps. One only has to compare London's win/loss record after both Mailloux and George returned to the team to the team's record before these two impressive players returned to the lineup. It should be noted that this was the Knights' fifth gave in seven nights and the wear and tear of this compact schedule clearly showed on the team's collective and Mailloux's individual performances. Both the team and Mailloux, who is now a core player on the Knights, had clumsy games. Neither were sharp. But the talent differential between London and the Ice Dogs allowed London to overcome the team's uneven and sloppy performance.

On the Offence: Mailloux's offensive contribution was built on his excellent skating. Mailloux made numerous end to end rushes that placed great stress/pressure on the Ice Dogs' defence and created several excellent scoring chances. These dramatic rushes occurred in all phases of the game: at even strength, on the power play and even when the Knights were killing a penalty. In the latter situation, Mailloux's great straight forward speed quickly turned an opponent's momentary bobble, into a 2 on 1. Mailloux will have to simplify his rush tactics as the toe drags and the slipping the puck past the defender that works occasionally against OHL defencemen will work far less successfully against NHL level defencemen. He has to learn to use the chip and chase tactic and rely on his size, agility and excellent speed to extend the play. Mailloux's normal pinpoint and subtle passes were missing tonight. His passes were either too hard for his teammates to effectively receive and handle or they were just off, either in his teammates skates or out of the intended target's reach. He also tried to force passes (like on the 2 on 1 during the penalty kill) where a simpler ( better) play or a shooting option was available. Despite taking numerous shots, Mailloux was not credited with any official shots on net as all of his shots were either blocked or missed the net. And he was blasting away from the point and the half board all night long. As I previously commented, Mailloux, who actually 'walks the line' reasonably well, will have to get better at getting his shot through and hitting the net with more consistency if he is to reach his full potential as an offensive force in the NHL.

On the Defence: Mailloux played a confident, strong defensive game that was largely error free. As with his offensive game, the hallmark of Mailloux's defensive game was his skating ability. He showed great recovery speed and was able to easily stop and mirror offensive players who tried to challenge him by either going wide or by trying to split the London's defence. He used an active stick and his great reach to stymie repeated offensive plays. Perhaps due to fatigue, Mailloux did not show much of a physical game tonight, instead, he relied more on anticipation and positioning to counter Ice Dogs forays. Also, for the first time, I noticed that Mailloux was losing his balance and falling when trying to pivot or when trying to make a play at high speed. This sudden display of unsteadiness was most probably another manifestation of the sinister effects of accumulative fatigue on a player that is still not in top game shape. Nevertheless, he largely had an efficient and effective defensive game. The only major error that I saw Mailloux commit was being overly aggressive at the London blueline on one play which effort created a free pathway to the Knights' net for another Ice Dog forward.

Final Comment: While nothing I saw tonight caused me to change my mind about Mailloux's ultimate potential, his display of a complete lack of judgment and discipline at the end of the game when he tried going after several Ice Dog players for a late hit on George just as the siren sounded, is worrying to this writer. To put the incident in context, this unwarranted hit came closely on the heels of another dangerous hit on an London player Dickinson who was checked head first into the boards. That play warranted at least a two game suspension. Nevertheless, Mailloux has to understand that he is a marked man and that any infraction he commits will be viewed, whether rightly or not, with greater scrutiny than if same is committed by another player. The game was over. You have the two points in your pocket. Just get off the ice. Don't risk a suspension for fighting after the conclusion of a game. Also, you are just recovering from major surgery for an injury that you suffered in a previous useless fight. There was no useful point or statement to be made here. It was just a statement of poor judgment.

Next Game: I will be in the GTA this weekend scouting AAA players and I will be attending Sunday's London- Mississauga afternoon game, which will give me a chance to watch both Mailloux (assuming his not suspended) and Beck in person. I will provide my analysis on these two important prospects after the game.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
his display of a complete lack of judgment at the end of the game when he tried going after several Ice Dog players for a late hit on George just as the siren sounded, is worrying to this writer.
That's why I don't like this prospect that much, lots of potential but he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to his decisions.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
That's why I don't like this prospect that much, lots of potential but he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to his decisions.

Meh it's junior hockey this kind of tit for tat you hurt my teammate so I'm going to try and hurt you is par for the course especially when you're 6 foot 4 or whatever he is. Look who his coach in London is and think if anyone is trying to coach it out of his game lol.

His actual in game decision making is suspect but that kind of stuff is how junior hockey goes.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Overall: Mailloux was once again very noticeable tonight and though he was kept of the score sheet Mailloux was clearly the Knights most dynamic player. Hunter has now again paired Mailloux with George and as was commented on by the game announcers, they form one of the best defensive duos in the OHA. There is no question that the Knights' defense is the strength of their team and is largely responsible for London's success. Mailloux, who continues to play in all situations is a big part of that defensive corps. One only has to compare London's win/loss record after both Mailloux and George returned to the team to London's record before these two players returned to the lineup. This was the Knights' fifth gave in seven nights and the wear and tear clearly showed on the team's and Mailloux's performance. Both the team and Mailloux, who is now a core player on the Knights, had clumsy games. Neither were sharp. But the talent differential between London and the Ice Dogs allowed London to overcome the team's uneven and sloppy performance.

On the Offence: Mailloux's offensive contribution was built on his excellent skating. Mailloux made numerous end to end rushes that placed great stress/pressure on the Ice Dogs' defence and created several excellent scoring chances. These dramatic rushes occurred in all phases of the game: even strength, on the power play and even when the Knights were killing a penalty. In the latter situation, Mailloux's great straight forward speed quickly turned an opponent's momentary bobble, into a 2 on 1. Mailloux's normal pinpoint and subtle passes were missing tonight. His passes were either too hard for his teammates to effectively receive and handle them or they were just off, either in his teammates skates or out of their reach. He also tried to force passes (like on the 2 on 1 during the penalty kill) where a simpler play or a shooting option was available. Despite taking numerous shots, Mailloux was not credited with any official shots on net as all of his shots were either blocked or missed the net. And he was blasting away from the point and the half board. Mailloux will have to get better at getting his shot through and on hitting the net if he is to reach his full potential to be an offensive force at the NHL.

On the Defence: Mailloux played a confident, strong defensive game that was largely error free. As with his offensive game, the hallmark of Mailloux's defensive game was his skating ability. He showed great recovery speed and was able to easily stop and mirror offensive players who tried to challenge him by either going wide or by trying to split the London's defence. He used an active stick and his great reach to stymie repeated offensive plays. Mailloux did not show much of a physical game tonight, instead, he relied more on anticipation and positioning to counter Ice Dogs forays. He largely had an efficient and effective defensive game. The only major error that I saw Mailloux commit was being overly aggressive at the London blueline on one play which effort created a free pathway to the Knights' net for another Ice Dog forward.

Final Comment: While nothing I saw tonight caused me to change my mind about Mailloux's ultimate potential, his display of a complete lack of judgment at the end of the game when he tried going after several Ice Dog players for a late hit on George just as the siren sounded, is worrying to this writer. He has to understand that he is a marked man and that any infraction he commits will be viewed, whether rightly or not, with greater scrutiny than if committed by another player. The game was over. You have the two points in your pocket. Just get off the ice. Don't risk a suspension for fighting after the conclusion of a game. There's no point or statement to be made. It was just a statement of poor judgment.

Next Game: I will be in the GTA this weekend scouting AAA players and I will be attending Sunday's London- Mississauga afternoon game, which will give me a chance to watch both Mailloux (assuming his not suspended) and Beck in person. I will provide my analysis on these two important prospects after the game.
Nice write up. But I strongly disagree with your final comment. He needs to be squeaky clean off the ice, but on the ice, I want to see him be protecting of his teammates. Last thing you want is a player feeling hesitant.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Overall: Mailloux was once again very noticeable tonight and though he was kept off the score sheet, Mailloux was clearly the Knights most dynamic player. Hunter again paired Mailloux with George and, as was commented on by one of the broadcast's announcers, they continue to form one of the best defensive duos in the OHA. There is no question that the Knights' defense is the strength of their team and is largely responsible for London's recent success. Mailloux, who continues to play in all situations, is an integral part of that impressive defensive corps. One only has to compare London's win/loss record after both Mailloux and George returned to the team to the team's record before these two impressive players returned to the lineup. It should be noted that this was the Knights' fifth gave in seven nights and the wear and tear of this compact schedule clearly showed on the team's collective and Mailloux's individual performances. Both the team and Mailloux, who is now a core player on the Knights, had clumsy games. Neither were sharp. But the talent differential between London and the Ice Dogs allowed London to overcome the team's uneven and sloppy performance.

On the Offence: Mailloux's offensive contribution was built on his excellent skating. Mailloux made numerous end to end rushes that placed great stress/pressure on the Ice Dogs' defence and created several excellent scoring chances. These dramatic rushes occurred in all phases of the game: at even strength, on the power play and even when the Knights were killing a penalty. In the latter situation, Mailloux's great straight forward speed quickly turned an opponent's momentary bobble, into a 2 on 1. Mailloux will have to simplify his rush tactics as the toe drags and the slipping the puck past the defender that works occasionally against OHL defencemen will work work far less successfully against NHL level defencemen. He has to learn to use the chip and chase tactic and rely on his size, agility and excellent speed to extend the play. Mailloux's normal pinpoint and subtle passes were missing tonight. His passes were either too hard for his teammates to effectively receive and handle or they were just off, either in his teammates skates or out of the intended target's reach. He also tried to force passes (like on the 2 on 1 during the penalty kill) where a simpler ( better) play or a shooting option was available. Despite taking numerous shots, Mailloux was not credited with any official shots on net as all of his shots were either blocked or missed the net. And he was blasting away from the point and the half board all night long. As I previously commented, Mailloux, who actually 'walks the line' reasonably well, will have to get better at getting his shot through and hitting the net with more consistency if he is to reach his full potential as an offensive force in the NHL.

On the Defence: Mailloux played a confident, strong defensive game that was largely error free. As with his offensive game, the hallmark of Mailloux's defensive game was his skating ability. He showed great recovery speed and was able to easily stop and mirror offensive players who tried to challenge him by either going wide or by trying to split the London's defence. He used an active stick and his great reach to stymie repeated offensive plays. Perhaps due to fatigue, Mailloux did not show much of a physical game tonight, instead, he relied more on anticipation and positioning to counter Ice Dogs forays. Also, for the first time, I noticed that Mailloux was losing his balance and falling when trying to pivot or when trying to make a play at high speed. This sudden display of unsteadiness was most probably another manifestation of the sinister effects of accumulative fatigue on a player that is still not in top game shape. Nevertheless, he largely had an efficient and effective defensive game. The only major error that I saw Mailloux commit was being overly aggressive at the London blueline on one play which effort created a free pathway to the Knights' net for another Ice Dog forward.

Final Comment: While nothing I saw tonight caused me to change my mind about Mailloux's ultimate potential, his display of a complete lack of judgment and discipline at the end of the game when he tried going after several Ice Dog players for a late hit on George just as the siren sounded, is worrying to this writer. To put the incident in context, this unwarranted hit came closely on the heels of another dangerous hit on an London player Dickinson who has checked head first into the boards. That play warranted at least a two game suspension. Nevertheless, Mailloux has to understand that he is a marked man and that any infraction he commits will be viewed, whether rightly or not, with greater scrutiny than if same is committed by another player. The game was over. You have the two points in your pocket. Just get off the ice. Don't risk a suspension for fighting after the conclusion of a game. Also, you are just recovering from major surgery for an injury that you suffered in a previous useless fight. There was no useful point or statement to be made here. It was just a statement of poor judgment.

Some great points....he is a marked man and that won't change.
While his offense has slowed his +/- has become respectable.

Thanks as always on the in depth report sir.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Nice write up. But I strongly disagree with your final comment. He needs to be squeaky clean off the ice, but on the ice, I want to see him be protecting of his teammates. Last thing you want is a player feeling hesitant.
The last thing you want is a player still recovering from major surgery engaging in a mindless brawl. Mailloux has become a leader on this surging team. There are other players, of less importance, who can deliver the necessary, primitive message.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
If we discount every 17, 18 or 19 year prospect who makes wrong decisions (whether on or off the ice), we would have very few prospects in our system. As would all teams.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Some great points....he is a marked man and that won't change.
While his offense has slowed his +/- has become respectable.

Thanks as always on the in depth report sir.
I wouldn't worry about his offensive stats. Mailloux is getting more scoring chances/opportunities now that ever. One game, the puck luck will turn, and he will have a breakout game or series of games where he will score multiple times. I would only start to be concerned if the scoring opportunities dry up. I will also note that this version of the London Knights is not, except for a few players, a very untalented team. Much of what Mailloux accomplishes offensively is done and created by himself. If Mailloux was not on the team, London would be a very pedestrian side, as was seen in London's horrible record at the start of the season when Mailloux was not playing while he recovered from his major injury. Once Mailloux returned, the team's fortunes improved greatly. As we say in the legal world: The law hates coincidence.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If we discount every 17, 18 or 19 year prospect who makes wrong decisions (whether on or off the ice), we would have very few prospects in our system. As would all teams.
There are also a good amount of seasoned vets who act inappropriately.

There are many bad people in plain view in every sport including the NHL.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The last thing you want is a player still recovering from major surgery engaging in a mindless brawl. Mailloux has become a leader on this surging team. There are other players, of less importance, who can deliver the necessary, primitive message.
Well that’s a different argument than the one you previously made. Seems you just don’t like fighting?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
There are also a good amount of seasoned vets who act inappropriately.

There are many bad people in plain view in every sport including the NHL.
Forget about sport. There's many bad people in plain view everywhere. Prior to my current position, I was a practicing lawyer. I used to tell people the national sport of Canada wasn't hockey but the exercise of bad judgment. I wasn't so much a lawyer as a highly paid janitor that spent most of my time cleaning up messes resulting from good and bad peoples' errors in judgment.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Forget about sport. There's many bad people in plain view everywhere. Prior to my current position, I was a practicing lawyer. I used to tell people the national sport of Canada wasn't hockey but the exercise of bad judgment. I wasn't so much a lawyer as a highly paid janitor that spent most of my time cleaning up messes resulting from good and bad peoples' errors in judgment.
What do you think will be the end result of the findings and punishment (if any) for the identified members of the 2018 WJC members who allegedly committed some pretty heinous acts....

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Final Comment: While nothing I saw tonight caused me to change my mind about Mailloux's ultimate potential, his display of a complete lack of judgment and discipline at the end of the game when he tried going after several Ice Dog players for a late hit on George just as the siren sounded, is worrying to this writer. To put the incident in context, this unwarranted hit came closely on the heels of another dangerous hit on an London player Dickinson who was checked head first into the boards. That play warranted at least a two game suspension. Nevertheless, Mailloux has to understand that he is a marked man and that any infraction he commits will be viewed, whether rightly or not, with greater scrutiny than if same is committed by another player. The game was over. You have the two points in your pocket. Just get off the ice. Don't risk a suspension for fighting after the conclusion of a game. Also, you are just recovering from major surgery for an injury that you suffered in a previous useless fight. There was no useful point or statement to be made here. It was just a statement of poor judgment.

Strongly disagree. Dickinson is one of the youngest players and a rising star. Going batshit crazy to retaliate against a vicious hit on a rookie is something that will give Mailloux respect from his teammates and opponents alike.

Granted, it would be better if a goon did this job, but it's unclear this was possible in that particular instance.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Strongly disagree. Dickinson is one of the youngest players and a rising star. Going batshit crazy to retaliate against a vicious hit on a rookie is something that will give Mailloux respect from his teammates and opponents alike.

Granted, it would be better if a goon did this job, but it's unclear this was possible in that particular instance.
Only the immediate reaction was the hit on George as time ran out. Not the Dickinson hit which had occurred minutes and several play stoppages before.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
What do you think will be the end result of the findings and punishment (if any) for the identified members of the 2018 WJC members who allegedly committed some pretty heinous acts....
Depending on the facts, there will be criminal charges and, if found guilty, those involved will be punishment in accordance with the applicable statutes. If there are convictions, the accused will be banned from playing in the NHL for a period that may well exceed the length of any sentence, including probation, imposed on those convicted of criminal culpability. The NHL sponsors will demand no less.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I agree and if the officials and leagues would do their jobs their wouldn't be any need for fighting. And of course the coareographed fights should result in automatic 5 game suspensions.
The hit on Dickinson was particularly dangerous. If any hit from behind warranted a suspension this one did. I sit on numerous disciplinary boards and, perhaps because of my background as a defence counsel, I am predisposed to adopting a more lenient approach to the transgressor. But I have no tolerance for checks that can severely injure another player. I would suspend that player for 5 games to send a message that no play is worth another player’s lifetime sentence in a wheelchair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad