Value of: Legit youngish starter to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
There's actually a shortage of good goalies in the NHL.

A few years ago, you shaked a tree and 2-3 goalies would fall from nowhere each and every year.

Now, even good goalies have ups and downs, from year to year.

Apart from the Russian trio (Vasilievsky, Shesterkin and Sorokin) and maybe Hellebuyk, consistency is a big issue between the pipes for the majority of teams.

So if you're expecting a team to trade you their "consistent" goalie, well first try to find one (apart from the bunch aforementioned), and second those who have one, keep him.

Same thing for the blue chips goalie prospects, teams that have one keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Just sign Jarry or Korpisalo to a 3-year deal higher than anybody else is offering. It might not pan out. It probably won't pan out. But it's still the most cost-effective option. And could pan out. Meanwhile, keep drafting and developing and watching.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Why is everyone so down on Forsberg? He had a good season, was like 17th in Goals Saved above expected. Was even better the previous season. His stats are average because he was the main goalie in November when the Sens thin blueline was decimated and they looked like the Washington Generals many nights. He was comparable to Oettinger, Hart, and Kuemper. Only played 28 games, if you were to look at GSAE by games played, he'd be higher. He'd be on par with Samsonov if they played a similar amount of games. Talbot was 60th.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
sens fans getting a little uppity after flooding the comments sections in August about The Summer of Pierre,, I thought the rebuild was over?

if you want to read up about some good jokes, read up on the Summer of Pierre!

"We're a team!"

a lot of you claimed the goaltending had been figured out after the summer of pierre

its all right there in the trade thread

MASTERCLASS lol

LMAO talk about being out to lunch

MODS, why is this being allowed? He's clearly trolling and trying to derail the thread.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hart
Demko
Swayman

Are the only ones that come to mind that MIGHT be available.

Maybe a guy like Blackwood or Vladar that are youngish but haven't performed in terms of raw numbers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sanderson will cost NYR more in a year than shesterkin.
If Sandy is not extended, prob yes, BUT
that likely means enduring another BRUTAL hit in net next season.

Also, I would not just throw in Lindgren and give him to you as a freebie add, but for like
I add Lindgren and pivot prospect Bryce McConnell Barker + Avs 2023 3rd
and you add Pinto + OTT 2024 2nd

... you can immediately upgrade have complete enuf D and G
and NY can fine tune while getting ahead of cap

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Why is everyone so down on Forsberg? He had a good season, was like 17th in Goals Saved above expected. Was even better the previous season. His stats are average because he was the main goalie in November when the Sens thin blueline was decimated and they looked like the Washington Generals many nights. He was comparable to Oettinger, Hart, and Kuemper. Only played 28 games, if you were to look at GSAE by games played, he'd be higher. He'd be on par with Samsonov if they played a similar amount of games. Talbot was 60th.

Only played 28 games, major injury to both MCLs.

I dont think it's being down on him as much as there being uncertainty about how healthy & effective he will be after these injuries.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Only played 28 games, major injury to both MCLs.

I dont think it's being down on him as much as there being uncertainty about how healthy & effective he will be after these injuries.
I wouldn't call MCL injuries major. No surgery was required.

He was already skating again with the team a few weeks ago.

In all sports, torn ACL is major. I've never heard of a player in any sport that was affected long term by an MCL injury.

He's certainly not "injury prone" because of that injury as it was such a fluke play.

If you're concerned that he's only been a good goalie for 2 years, then I understand.

MODS, why is this being allowed? He's clearly trolling and trying to derail the thread.
I prefer when someone exposes themselves to be an immature troll, childish and foolish for the posts to remain. It's good for a laugh.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I wouldn't call MCL injuries major. No surgery was required.

He was already skating again with the team a few weeks ago.

In all sports, torn ACL is major. I've never heard of a player in any sport that was affected long term by an MCL injury.

He's certainly not "injury prone" because of that injury as it was such a fluke play.

If you're concerned that he's only been a good goalie for 2 years, then I understand.
I'm not saying he's injury prone, but we need to hit the ground running and theres no telling how he will play after returning.

Him not getting surgery makes him more injury prone, too.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I liked alot of the moves Ottawa has done but I just dont understand their timing, why trade 7th overall for DeBrincat when ur clearly still behind Boston, Toronto and Tampa?
why pay to move Murray in such a deep draft year just to trade the young goalie they have been developing to become their starter for a old guy well past his prime? I just dont understand that part
Murray was a reach but I think the answer regarding Debrincat was that he was available.

You can have your own timetable but it doesn't mean others will follow. Sometimes you make a move early because it's available.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Hart would be greig first 23 and 2nd 24. He's a cornerstone piece and not going to be let go of easily

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Demko would be a option that could go well for Ottawa.

I feel like Demko would have been the logical solution here. But quite honestly, the impact he's had with Vancouver since coming back and being healthy, is so profound...i don't think he's realistically on the market anymore. If Vancouver has a healthy Demko all season, they're probably in the playoffs. Assuming that's the goal still...i just don't see him being moved for anything short of an insane overpayment.

Seems like trying to convince John Gibson to move on from Anaheim might be the best bet at this point.

Reactions: bernmeister

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Isn't Cayden Primeau waiver eligible next season? Depending on what management does in Montreal with their goalies, one of him or Montembeault might be available on the cheap.

Both kind of lottery tickets, but Montembeault has played regular NHL minutes the past 2 years. Stats are not shiny, but could be a reflection of the team in front of him.

Primeau is 3 years younger, less proven and Ottawa might prefer their own prospects - but an option nonetheless with how cheap he'd be.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I feel like Demko would have been the logical solution here. But quite honestly, the impact he's had with Vancouver since coming back and being healthy, is so profound...i don't think he's realistically on the market anymore. If Vancouver has a healthy Demko all season, they're probably in the playoffs. Assuming that's the goal still...i just don't see him being moved for anything short of an insane overpayment.

Seems like trying to convince John Gibson to move on from Anaheim might be the best bet at this point.
1. bold, yes
2. Gibson is 29, thought he was older.
But still, he ain't gonna be cheap.

Isn't Shesty at 2 years younger and roughly a mil per cheaper -- and a better performer -- not a better value, even if he'd cost more?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Instead of Swayman, get Bussi from the Bruins. Good goalie who's ready to be at least a backup.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Before everyone starts piling on about Gustavsson… yes it’s funny that the next season after he gets traded, he’s posting unreal numbers in Minny. But it would be disingenuous at best to believe that if Ottawa would have simply kept him he’d be having the same career year. Obviously he has lots of potential but everyone knows that Minny is a much better defensive team and goalies are much better insulated there. Heck look at Cam Talbot from last year, he played great for Minny (0.911%) until they got Fleury. Let’s just move on and stay on topic.

Edit: Gustavsson was awful for us last year. At the time, the trade was a reasonable bet. I’m also willing to bet that there’s no way he keeps up these same numbers.
Ottawa is going no where without better team defence

swayman but in division would cost a fortune.
They would trade him ?

Reactions: hn777

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Before everyone starts piling on about Gustavsson… yes it’s funny that the next season after he gets traded, he’s posting unreal numbers in Minny. But it would be disingenuous at best to believe that if Ottawa would have simply kept him he’d be having the same career year. Obviously he has lots of potential but everyone knows that Minny is a much better defensive team and goalies are much better insulated there. Heck look at Cam Talbot from last year, he played great for Minny (0.911%) until they got Fleury. Let’s just move on and stay on topic.

Edit: Gustavsson was awful for us last year. At the time, the trade was a reasonable bet. I’m also willing to bet that there’s no way he keeps up these same numbers.
His entire body of work in the organization was great other than when he had to play infront of the covid team. Stop acting like it was a good trade. Dorion is an idiot and has no ability to evaluate goalies let alone pro talent. He had a .931 the year before Ottawa. Talent was obvious. It was horrible player management and Development.

The sens have no assets left to trade. Only option is to sign Andersen or Varlamov. They need a new GM.

Don't want Swayman either cost too much and he is unproven. Someone short term that has a prove track record.

Reactions: hn777

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
slaps hood

You're gonna LOVE this brand new, top of the line, Matt Murray we have in stock. What if I told he was familiar with the Ottawa area, had a great moustache, and is so committed to the game that he's already recovered from 74 injuries in his career just to get right back out there on the ice. It's only a 1 year commitment too! It's like finding a college girlfriend in senior year that you know is moving to Palo Alto at the end of the year anyway.

Your dreams are just one call to Kyle Dubas away.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The idea of Talbot was correct. If we can acquire one that doesn't suck, then let's do it. Otherwise, if Forsberg is ok, then he and Soogard are fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad